Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Gen 3 was my life during the few years after Ruby/Sapphire's release, I played these so much and still have very fond memories of them. Nintendo was rather experimental in their GBA and GC years, and I feel like it really shows in Gen 3 with stuff like e-Reader support or the entire concept behind Pokémon Colosseum and XD. And I loved every bit of it. Looking forward to reliving all of that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Glazius posted:

Moving up to something approximating an actual sound chip must have been like paradise for the composers. Paradise and Gabriel's horn.

The opposite, actually! While the Game Boy does have a dedicated sound chip, it's all done in software on the GBA.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Stats increased by EVs are recalculated at each level up, except for Deoxys, whose stats are calculated after every battl instead. This does mean for nearly every Pokemon, you cannot EV train at level 100, though the Vitamins that give 10 EVs in a certain stat up to 100 are automatically applied.

More specifically, stats are recalculated:
- On level up.
- On successful vitamin (or minus EV berry) usage.
- When regenerating the full 100 bytes from the compact 80 byte structure. (See: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_data_structure_in_Generation_III)

This means you can EV train a thing, have it not level up yet, then give it a vitamin to force stat recalculation -- though I can't remember offhand if it recalculates all stats or only the one the vitamin applies to. Or EV train a thing, deposit it into a box, and withdraw it again to force a stat recalculation.

Gen 3 has a caveat (if you ask me, this is a bug) to this though: EVs are rewarded as part of the EXP rewarding step, which is skipped when the Pokémon is already at Level 100, which means a Level 100 Pokémon *does not gain EV from battles*. Other sources of EV changes still work. They fixed this in later generations, I believe in D/P, so EVs are rewarded separately from EXP.

Crosspeice posted:

The game will also no longer break if Japanese and English games connect, so a Pokemon's region will be listed, though it doesn't do anything.

The Region/Language byte decides the font used for displaying the Pokémon's nickname, so the non-Japanese games can display Japanese nicknames properly. Japanese Gen 3 games ignore this and always display the name as if it were written in the Japanese font, but starting from Gen 4 onwards the Japanese games will use the western font to display western nicknames too.

Also, the 'source game' byte decides which set of locations is used to display the caught location from. From what I recall, Emerald will display all FireRed/LeafGreen locations correctly, but all other games only know their home region and display something like 'met at a far away place' for the rest, I'll have to check.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 13, 2018

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The IV mixup is almost definitely a bug.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I have a couple of the Emerald e-Cards somewhere if you want me to scan them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So for the curious, the Emerald Trainer Hill eCards look like this:

Each card has a trainer with two sets of three Pokémon. They show you one of them, indicated by which of the three Pokéballs are highlighted -- odd scan gets you the first set, even scan the second set, as I recall. The backside of the card has a small image of the floor you get when using that card, with a difficulty rating out of five stars.

The 'map cards' aren't actual eCards and were just used to fill out the boosters. As far as I remember, there was one map card in each booster, and as you can see I have not managed to collect all of them. They form some artwork (front side forms two separate artwork for Hoeen and the Frontier, backside forms promotional artwork for the eCard packs themselves), but are otherwise pretty useless. Of note is that there are two pieces of the bottom-right corner of Hoeen, one for R/S without the Frontier, and one for Emerald with the Frontier.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 22, 2018

• Locked thread