Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like Infernape more than Blaziken. That said, both are good and neat.

Also, Oldale is the most boring town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sapphire ends up in conflict with Team Aqua, as I recall.

Also, the GSC manga arc is really good, involving things like Misty catching and training Suicune. The main character, Gold, has his plot centered around retrieving the Totodile that his rival, Silver, stole in order to combat the Johto faction of Team Rocket led by a mysterious guy in a mask (whose identity is so glaringly obvious that Gold figures it out in advance). Later, the female character Crystal is introduced (she also replaces Lyra for the HG/SS arc, getting her outfit instead) as a capture expert who fills the Pokedex since the other two aren't really doing the traditional journey.

It's the only arc in PokeSpe where you don't have the main characters focused on winning badges. We also won't get another male character focused on earning badges until Unova.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 12, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pokemon Generations made Lysandre more interesting by turning him into Lex Luthor for the five minutes his episode lasted.

Also, the Sinnoh stuff for PokeSpe is great and made Cyrus better than I found him to be in-game. Especially with how Team Galactic turns out in Platinum. :3:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Emerald, HGSS

They have close enough replacements, but fair enough on the others.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RCVBHfKJsPhPBQF.

And you can quote me on that.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 13, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Name it Carter, because I like dumb puns and can't think of a better name.

Also, Team Aqua/Magma not primarily using Water + Ice/Fire + Ground Pokemon (even in the remake) really annoys me. At least the manga corrects that.

Crosspeice posted:

I should reiterate that having all these random Multi Battles is cool as hell and their absence in the remakes is disappointing.

I feel like I've seen more Multi-Battles in these last two updates than I have in all of ORAS.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 14, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

While not the most hilarious Trendy Saying (tm) I've seen, it's still pretty good. The trendy phrase can be changed every now and then and will appear in other people's games when you mix records. It effects exactly one thing in the game and it's something I'm not looking forward to in the slightest.

And somehow this thing winds up not even being one of the worst things GameFreak ever put into a Pokemon game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Swampert benefits from Avalanche, as I recall.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Psychic on Butterfree isn't terrible, though it's not the ideal Pokemon to have it prior to Gen V.

Then again, I think most things that want Psychic can learn it via level-up, unless Gen I was dumb about that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ludicolo's true purpose is dancing to the rhythm of Miror B's theme music.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

MAUVILLE GYM's WATTSON has a shiny forehead. It makes me happy!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

HMs were a mistake.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why is he huffing and puffing? Asthma?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Let's cause this volcano that's smack dab in the middle of a landmass to erupt to expand the landmass! :downs:

Not surprising that this was one of the first plot points ORAS changed.

Team Magma is possibly less dumb than Team Aqua, but they're still pretty dumb!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm rather curious how the manga intends to handle Ultra Sun/Moon considering

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, those shorts, leggings, and boots are really ridiculous looking.

Solumin posted:

That sounds crazy, evidently I need to play USUM.

To be honest, USUM is a lamer version of SM aside from Hau becoming even better than he was before (even though I liked him in the original games) and the post-game involving Rainbow Rocket.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On the other hand, USUM has the best (or worst depending on who you ask) Legendary battle in the series. :allears:

Haifisch posted:

e: Also if we're talking Maxie's ORAS design, let's not forget that Archie got turned into even more of a pirate somehow.

Just rolling around with an anchor necklace, nbd.

I think Shelly got hit the hardest with the visual changes out of Team Aqua.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gym Leaders, then the evil teams.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

magikid posted:

Now we can talk about how every single Aqua/Magma battle is the same three Pokemon, and the leaders just use their evolved forms. What the gently caress is that poo poo.

ORAS tries to fix this. And by tries, I mean that Team Magma and Aqua still use half of the same Pokemon, but Aqua uses Grimer and Carvahna lines while Magma uses Koffing and Numel lines.

It's a shame this game doesn't have a whole region full of new volcano, desert, and water areas with unique Pokemon that they could use instead. :shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

rannum posted:

The best part about their appearance in USUM is they were probably going to die anyway
"…The name's Archie. I'm the leader of Team Aqua. Just when I completed my great plan, I got swallowed up by a giant wave… "
"I am Team Magma's Maxie. I had finally realized my grand design, only to be swallowed by a great fissure that appeared beneath me... ."

Same thing happens in the Generations anime. Sorta.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Those Horde battles were actually a really cool way to deal with Rocket Grunt (Regional edition). I mean they all have like one or two shitmons so just dunk on them all at the same time right? I wish Sun/Moon did that with the Team Skull punks.

The very last Team Skull Grunt battle in SM is that way. It's the same in USUM, but it's not the last one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Team Flare is the most forgettable team.

As much as I dump on Archer, at least I remember him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I completely forgot Diantha existed by the time the Champion fight came around, to be honest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Flannery is the best girl.

Also, Color Change is basically "Hit me with Ghost/Dragon attacks: The Ability". Granted, by the time you manage to turn Kecleon into a Ghost, it's probably able to faint from any old hit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Isn't that always how it worked until Gen IV?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wait, did you wind up doing the OHKO room?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kikas posted:

This would have been an excellent place for No Guard Fissure Machamps if they existed back in Gen III.

That's not a Normal-type! :argh:

Carbon dioxide posted:

There was the time early on in the anime where Team Rocket went all "but what if we use ALL THE STONES SIMULTANEOUSLY on an Eevee". But because they're incompetent fools, it never went beyond a daydream.

As I recall, they tried to, but got interrupted.

Technically, the Pokemon Special manga has an Eevee that runs with that idea until it evolves into an Espeon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pinocchio.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like Castform. Shame it's not very good, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

They don't even fully evolve their team in Emerald? :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

And Ruby and Sapphire! They were one of the least liked rivals in the series because they were so pathetic.

Isn't their final battle optional in Ruby/Sapphire?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I kinda wish they redesigned the Hex Maniacs in ORAS to look like their Gen III counterpart instead of just porting over their (admittedly cute) Gen VI counterparts!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A lot of the trainer classes seem like they'd be fun to focus on, really.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kanto is the most boring region, but they still shill it in just about every generation it seems.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Is this just an excuse for me to show off the Sevii Islands and not have to look at endless Swimmer battle screenshots?

There is no escape!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Route 120, Shrub, 2-room, South of the southern bridge, just west of Route 121.

Big Plant.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TEAM MAGMA posted:

We will soon visit you to take your rocket fuel. Please don't try to stop us. We will take the fuel no matter what. Let there be more land!

Say what you want about the idiocy of Team Magma's plans (even if Team Aqua's is dumber), but you can't deny that their manners are top notch.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I dunno, trying to erupt a volcano by throwing rocket fuel in it is pretty loving dumb.

I meant general plan of expanding landmass. Not the rocket fuel thing. That was just pants on head crazy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I'll give Emerald props for having more of a plot, but removing the Legendary battle and making them postgame or optional or whatever is really lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

...Now that I think about it, if they made such a big deal out of stealing a submarine to get to the Seafloor Cavern, how'd Team Magma get down there too?

Maxie remembered that he and Archie are literally the same character in Gen 3 and used the Sharpedo he undoubtedly has to Dive.

• Locked thread