Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Crosspeice posted:

Shield Dust prevents additional effects from attacks from occurring, like a Life Orb for the enemy, but no power boost.

Are you thinking of the ability Sheer Force, not Life Orb? Life Orbs drain HP, not get rid of additional effects, though I see why you'd get that wrong - the two tend to be used together to get rid of the nastier effects of the latter.

On a slightly less nitpick-y note, it's interesting to see the differences in names between Japanese and English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

I've never really understood how the stat-ups from having badges work. Is it just a permanent +1 stage to the relevant stat, or what?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Crosspeice posted:

Now shininess is the big one. This depends on the Trainer ID, the Secret ID (which you'll never know about unless you cheat) and on both halves of the PID, split down the middle as P1 and P2. This is determined by the formula S = IDTrainer ⊕ IDSecret ⊕ p1 ⊕ p2. If you have no idea what the ⊕ is, I didn't until this very sentence. Basically, A ⊕ B = C, outputs C such that, if Ai (bit i of A) and Bi are different, then Ci is 1; otherwise it is 0. Mathematics, man. After that is worked out, if the resulting number at the end if less than 8 then it is shiny. Obviously with so many variations in numbers, this makes it a very rare occurance, though having your Trainer ID and Secret ID match more helps for this.

Wait, does this mean shininess isn't a constant 1/8192? It changes between playthroughs depending on the two ID numbers? I assume the average is 1/8192, then. Did the relatively recent change of the rate to 1/4096 get rid of the variance in that case?

Also...

Quantum Toast posted:

Aaron, if it's male. Female... I don't know, Erin?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Here's something fun to do with Azurill: gender is derived from the personality value and gender ratio, so when Azurill evolves and changes its gender ratio it can sometimes switch from female to male. Oops! I think this was fixed in Gen 6 as a result of the Pokemon data structure changing significantly.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

rannum posted:

Gen 3 even lets you do four way multiplayer! Something I refuse to believe anyone has ever done even at pokemon events

I don't know about Gen 3's options, but I've definitely done it in Gen 6 with multi battles.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Oh hey, a shiny Wingull! I think my first shiny was one of those. Unfortunately I thought it was a glitch for some reason (there were sort-of extenuating circumstances here, and also I was 8 or thereabouts), so I just ran away and only found out later that I'd missed out on something so rare.

On a more upbeat note, my favourite stupid thing Shedinja can learn is Final Gambit in Gen 5. It's a move that KOs the user and lowers the enemy's HP by the damage you did to yourself. On a Pokemon with 1HP, that's an...interesting strategy.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Since it came up in that update, I feel like I have to air my grievances on something: the healing herbs. It only comes up in Gen 3 and 4, but there are some Pokemon that like bitter food. The healing herbs are bitter and yet they lower happiness for everything, regardless of taste preferences. It's just a little thing that's been bugging me for a while.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

There's always Mystery Dungeon, the best Pokemon spinoffs/crossovers (or that seems to be the general consensus, at least). Especially since the touch screen controls are basically just worse than the buttons, compared to Ranger where the only controls are the touch screen.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Yeah, Emerald was really kind of awful. The actual plot of his arc is him beating the Battle Frontier and maybe contributing something to battling Archie. Maybe. Oh, and a bit of setup for the Sinnoh manga with that manga-original villain that I can't remember the name of right now, but that was mostly handled in the FR/LG manga anyway.

Anyway, the Battle Frontier is really not suited to a manga format. They just skip over most of it, with only the Frontier Brain battles being given any real attention. Wally's Sceptile comes out of nowhere with it being mixed in with the rental Pokemon at the Battle Factory for poorly explained reasons. Emerald has absolutely no problem with any challenge despite his freshly-obtained Pokemon and the whole thing feels rushed because, surprise surprise, it's the arc for a gen's third game and isn't all that long.

The thing that probably stuck with me the most about the arc was that Emerald beats the Battle Palace without even being there, just because. At least it's accurate to the games in that way, because the Battle Palace is almost purely luck-based and by far the worst battle facility idea that Game Freak has ever had. Screw the Battle Palace.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Oh, we can talk about the Delta Episode? Excellent! Now I can talk about a little theory I've got that connects the main series and the Mystery Dungeon spinoffs. Just bear with me here.

So a rough outline of the plot of the Delta Episode in ORAS is that there's a meteor heading towards Hoenn and the guys at the Mossdeep Space Centre want to transport it to another universe using Link Cable technology. You know, that thing that lets you connect with other games, i.e. other universes. In other words, first, we need to talk about parallel universes.

I'm not sorry.

And thus the Pokemon multiverse theory was thought up. My interpretation of this is that there are an infinite number of possible universes in which any possibility could happen, making every playthrough of every game, as well as the anime, manga and basically any Pokemon media, canon within the multiverse. That probably wasn't the original intention, since it was brought up to justify Mega Stones being in ORAS despite not being in RSE, but that doesn't matter right now.

Anyway, a girl called Zinnia thinks this is a terrible idea because it'd just be passing the problem off to someone else in that alternate universe. Her solution is to go to Rayquaza and get it to blow the meteor the hell up. So you go and do just that, and the meteor turns out to contain Deoxys who you then fight and possibly catch. You're a trainer. That's what you do.

This is all just a very rough outline, of course, but the important points are that the meteor contains Deoxys, it had the possibility to be sent to an alternate universe, and the Pokemon multiverse is a thing. So what can we extrapolate from this? Well, there is probably at least one universe where the meteor did, in fact, get transported to another universe.

The plot of the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon involves trying to save the planet from a meteor crashing into it, which just so happens to contain Deoxys. Either this was a natural occurrence with the same cause as what happened in the Delta Episode, or this is the universe where the meteor was sent in one of the universes where Zinnia fails to stop the meteor being transported. Of those two, I much prefer the latter because I like the idea of the plots being interconnected.

In any case, this is probably just a load of nonsense brought on by lack of sleep and wishful thinking. Don't read too much into it.

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Why all the hate for the Battle Agency? I'm not trying to defend it, I just skipped US/UM so I know basically nothing about it.

• Locked thread