Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Yeah buzzard is great. I used it a lot for the salvage yard missions setup where you have to disrupt whatever by going to 3-4 different locations and blowing stuff up. Makes it doable solo even though it’s an optional part of the setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't know about like jets and such but at the very least I believe the Mk1 is faster than both the Mk2 and Buzzard if you can aim it right, since it can build up ground speed whereas the Mk2 can only go a fixed speed with a little temporary rocket boost, its just easier because you don't really have to pay attention

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Rather than attempting to land a plane or paying the insurance for ditching them I just steal them from the airport and the base where I own a hangar if I want to get to the other side of the map quickly. Faster than going all the way anywhere in a helicopter

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

OpMk2 tip: Hold handbrake (default spacebar on PC) while flying to reach max speeds. You'll slowly descend and will need to pull up every couple seconds, but it's a definite increase in speed (maybe 10mph or so)

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Flying using a controller on PC makes it very easy, you go a speed of 130 instead of 108 which adds up when you have to go across the whole map for a heist prep on a timer

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For all my OPmkII needs, I have the Deluxo, which doubles as an entry into my "famous vehicles" collection.

So far, I have:

• Deluxo (Delorean)
  • Vigilante (89 Batmobile)
  • Albany Brigham (Ecto-1)
  • The mirthmobile from Wayne's World
  • The Scooby Doo mystery van
  • The RV from Breaking Bad

Some of those, like the RV and the van, are just approximations with close-enough liveries.

My friends and I used to do theme nights, and I remember spending so much money on the Broadway for "gangster night", but I'm glad I did. If it didn't have a top, it could double for Benny the Cab, with the taxi livery.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The deluxo is fun but it’s more fun for me to shoot them down using explosive sniper mk2 ammo from stupid distances :getin:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

HJE-Cobra posted:

I feel like I don't see a lot of recommendations for the Buzzard attack helicopter lately.

It was powercrept hard by the Sparrow and is no longer really worth using.

The Buzzard can only shoot 2 missiles at a time which have to blow up before you can fire again, which means you're sitting there looking stupid and not attacking things. The Sparrow fires about 5 at a time, has a higher top speed in the air, and can gracefully dock in the Kosatka to expedite your heist setups.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thanks everyone. So it sounds like my best next investments in no particular order are:

- night club
- acid lab (do the missions give you this for free at the end? Are they solo friendly too?)
- agency
- maybe the salvage yard if it looks fun

Doing the Fooligan mission lines will reward you with like a million dollars from all the first-time-as-host awards, along with the Acid Lab itself and a fun little electric vehicle supercar. The Acid Lab is a good single-vehicle sale business as long as you're good driving a dirtbike. The Acid Lab also unlocks "Fooligan Jobs" that will upgrade then lab when you complete 10 of them. You should definitely do those 10, but all those jobs are really loving tedious so just be warned.

The Agency can keep you busy with the Security Contracts and Payphone Hits which are both pretty fun mission sets (except for the "Asset Protection" contract which sucks) as well as unlocking the big Dr Dre questline. Generally speaking to keep busy you could buy a round of Acid Supplies from Mutt inside the Acid Lab, then spend that time doing contracts to make money and increase your passive Agency Income, then sell the Acid when it's ready.

Building up cash from those things will help you buy the Kosatka submarine and the Sparrow helicopter that is stored inside the sub, which will greatly speed up your map travel, as well as unlocking Cayo Perico Heist. The heist is a pale shadow of its former self--it's been nerfed like four times--but is still a pretty good way to make money solo if you really know what you're doing.

I personally would stick with the Acid Lab and the Agency since the heists can be tricky if you struggle with the combat or you're going in cold.

The Salvage Yard is the shiny new toy but requires a lot of active work for not as much payout, and the business itself doesn't offer you nearly as many QOL tools as the Agency or Kosatka will.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I’m definitely getting used to the combat again, I forgot how brutal the AI is in online.

Do you get more health or damage resistance or anything as you level? Even these acid lab first dose missions are whipping my rear end, my health and armor just evaporate as soon as I peek out of cover, which it seems you unfortunately have to do to shoot back at people. Fighting from cars sucks rear end too, it’s hard to hit things and I’m really missing that quick snack button.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Turn aim assist on high if it's not already. Then just pop out and fire a shot or two and go back to cover. Repeat ad nauseum. It's slow but it will get the job done.

Shotguns have more range than you'd think. Forget which one exactly but one of them can one shot most mooks at a decent range with a few upgrades.

I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will provide better info

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I’m definitely getting used to the combat again, I forgot how brutal the AI is in online.

Do you get more health or damage resistance or anything as you level? Even these acid lab first dose missions are whipping my rear end, my health and armor just evaporate as soon as I peek out of cover, which it seems you unfortunately have to do to shoot back at people. Fighting from cars sucks rear end too, it’s hard to hit things and I’m really missing that quick snack button.

One of the stats (strength maybe?) increases your max hp

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do you get more health or damage resistance or anything as you level?

Baron von Eevl is correct, it's tied to both Strength and your rank. Every 20 ranks your max HP increases, up to rank 100 I believe

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Had to look it up -

"health in GTA Online is tied to a player's overall rank. The player's health increases by 20 at every 20th rank, up to rank 100."

EFB

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Another big thing tied to rank is your ammo capacity.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alright cool, well good to know it'll get a little less frustrating eventually. Right now it feels like I have to snack after every enemy i kill, my health goes down so fast. i ragequit last night doing a bunker truck delivery, where one of the pursuers managed to plant himself in front of my windshield and waste me before i could get the snack menu up. Fighting from cars sucks overall, I hope GTA6 lets you autoaim while driving or something, trying to free aim and drive at the same time is not a good time

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Not sure what snack menu you mean... but definitely learn to use snacks in the weapon wheel. It's a change made in the last year or so and I'm still not good at it, but it's worth getting good at.
what level are you currently?
e: ^^^^^^^^^^^

pretty sure strength doesn't affect health. it only decreases fall and fist fighting damage. Also you can jump over higher walls.

If you need to level up fast, crates are (or at least were) the way to go. grab some, then sell some.

Crates get a bad rap because they were the only way to make any money that wasn't doing heists with 3 other people for the longest time. People used to run crates, then do VIP work. Rinse and repeat until it really got grindy for some.

I've grinded my share of crates; and have the diamond trophy on my office desk to prove it. I didn't really burn out on them unless I went for a goal (like said trophy) and even then it was only short term. It can be fun to know all of the different scenarios and tricks to each one. I also used to be able to do any of the sell missions solo no problem and enjoyed the rush of selling a full warehouse for ~2 million.

That said, something changed in the last couple of years...
I may be wrong, but I swear it used to be that the "E" in PvE would almost never use explosive ordinance. So buzzards would only use the machine guns. Even when a Savage would show up, you'd have guys hanging out of the side shooting at you.
That changed... and I think it had a profound effect on one of the crate sell missions.
I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure there was always a sell mission where you get ambushed by a fully manned Valkyrie heli. They'd shoot at you... maybe use the miniguns. I'm not imagining that, right? I can't imagine :rockstar: added a brand new crate sell mission 5 years after the fact.

But the change above now meant that the Valkyrie could use it's cannon against you.
I have never been so spawn-trapped in this game as I was by that fuckin' thing. It's like the guys in Sultans that come after you when selling an export vehicle in a solo lobby... but with a cannon. Like literally killed before you had control.
I was able to kill it and complete the sale... but it was absolutely luck.
I can't really recommend crates anymore for that sole reason.

I haven't played this game in a while... maybe I'll fire it up tomorrow.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
As someone who grinded mc club and vip missions, crates loving suck

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Make sure to be buying and equipping body armor if its unlocked

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Alright cool, well good to know it'll get a little less frustrating eventually. Right now it feels like I have to snack after every enemy i kill, my health goes down so fast. i ragequit last night doing a bunker truck delivery, where one of the pursuers managed to plant himself in front of my windshield and waste me before i could get the snack menu up. Fighting from cars sucks overall, I hope GTA6 lets you autoaim while driving or something, trying to free aim and drive at the same time is not a good time

Invest in an Armored Kuruma on San Andreas Super Autos along with the AP Pistol, you’ll be fine for most things

The bunker Parts Delivery missions with the truck you just want to focus on your driving and not stop to shoot people.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mp5 posted:

Invest in an Armored Kuruma on San Andreas Super Autos along with the AP Pistol, you’ll be fine for most things

The bunker Parts Delivery missions with the truck you just want to focus on your driving and not stop to shoot people.

Oh nice, looks like the armored kuruma is separate from heists and you can just buy it now, reckon I’ll do that.

And yeah I could’ve sworn I was just driving and one pulled up alongside me but maybe I was just getting greedy. Either way death came very fast

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

mp5 posted:

I will disagree slightly on this point. I find it easier to start the mission, then stop driving as soon as I see the red circles. Get out and take out the waves of enemies right at the beginning. Take down 3-ish waves of 2-3 cars each and you don't have to deal with any enemies for the rest of the drive.

This is on console and driving from the free CESP bunker up in bumfuck coast though, so it might be different on PC and with a bunker in a decent location.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Paying2Lurk posted:

I will disagree slightly on this point. I find it easier to start the mission, then stop driving as soon as I see the red circles. Get out and take out the waves of enemies right at the beginning. Take down 3-ish waves of 2-3 cars each and you don't have to deal with any enemies for the rest of the drive.

This is on console and driving from the free CESP bunker up in bumfuck coast though, so it might be different on PC and with a bunker in a decent location.

He’s getting torn up in combat with those NPCs, getting out of the truck to do even more combat isn’t going to help him.

Also yeah that bunker is a huge time sink

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mp5 posted:

He’s getting torn up in combat with those NPCs, getting out of the truck to do even more combat isn’t going to help him.

Also yeah that bunker is a huge time sink

It might help, depending on how strong the enemies are; the problem I had really was that because I was in a car, I couldn't open my snack menu fast enough to heal through getting shot in the face (also I can't aim for poo poo while driving so the enemies got a lot of shots in). Might have been a different story fighting on foot with auto aim, I'll try that next time. Do all the waves come at once? that's convenient at least

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It might help, depending on how strong the enemies are; the problem I had really was that because I was in a car, I couldn't open my snack menu fast enough to heal through getting shot in the face (also I can't aim for poo poo while driving so the enemies got a lot of shots in). Might have been a different story fighting on foot with auto aim, I'll try that next time. Do all the waves come at once? that's convenient at least

All of this advice comes with the HUGE caveat that mp5 is much smarter and better at the game than me so keep that in mind:

If it's the bunker parts delivery where you have to drive the slow truck to a random Ammo Nation, then yes all the waves should come at once. Once you see the red circles on your mini-map, pull the truck to the side of the road in a way that provides you cover from the road. Then get out and wait in cover for the cars. Usually it's 2 cars with 2 people in them. They'll speed by you then U-Turn and park. Pop out from cover and take a few shots as they get out. Recover health and armor, do it again, repeat until dead.

By then more cars will be coming. Stay in cover and let them come to you. Traffic should be freaking out so they might even get hit by cars as they run towards you. Keep popping out, taking a couple auto aim shots and popping back into cover. Watch out for flankers. Ever play Time Crisis? Kinda like that. After 3 or so waves of 2-3 cars with 2 people each in them, they should stop. And you should be enemy free for the rest of the trip. After you do it a few times you'll get the feel for it.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ainsley McTree posted:

They are as strong as any other modern NPCs, I mean you can try it but from what you said you were struggling.

That truck accelerates slowly but has a high top speed that will keep you in front of the enemies as long as you don’t crash

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Something that helped me do combat better in recent Rockstar games is making a mental shift from treating it less like a designed videogame, and more like the simulation it is.

By which I mean, there is basically no invisible hand of design guiding you from behind the scenes. Some guns are just much better versions of other duplicate or obsolete ones. Levels aren't really designed, fights just take places in vaguely defined open world areas or corridors with little between. Damage is 'true' in the sense that enemies will fire out in a random spread and if a low probability bullet happens to slap an arm that's poking out from a wall and empty your health bar at the wrong time, tough luck. There's barely any feature to increase the fairness of fights, even though by its nature most of them are one versus a horde.

Once I stopped treating it like a very harsh Gears of War and more like a sandbox where the only advantage you have is the human ability to be a real piece of poo poo, my brain opened up to the concept of playing like a massive troll more fluidly. Never assume you are safe unless you have 100% body cover, let explosions do work without exposing yourself, create chokepoints to break the AI. Make sure you always have a safe corridor to fall back and reset the situation any time you feel like you're getting overwhelmed. Do anything but try to outmatch RNG gun turrets in a fair gunfight over and over, as sooner or later the numbers will not fall in your favour.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah as a big griefer there’s nothing I dislike more than a fair fight

Except crates, I hate crates

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I never got into crates. My early money grinding was selling Sandking XL's, then Import/Export cars, then Terrorbyte. Once I got that money just flowed in pretty quickly rotating between them and VIP.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

There are missions in this game? lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For all my OPmkII needs, I have the Deluxo, which doubles as an entry into my "famous vehicles" collection.

So far, I have:

• Deluxo (Delorean)
  • Vigilante (89 Batmobile)
  • Albany Brigham (Ecto-1)
  • The mirthmobile from Wayne's World
  • The Scooby Doo mystery van
  • The RV from Breaking Bad

Some of those, like the RV and the van, are just approximations with close-enough liveries.

My friends and I used to do theme nights, and I remember spending so much money on the Broadway for "gangster night", but I'm glad I did. If it didn't have a top, it could double for Benny the Cab, with the taxi livery.

I found close approximations for both the red Suburban and white Escalade that Tony Soprano drove on the show, though I can't remember what they are at the moment. I decided to use my Office garage for all the "famous" vehicles.

Oh, and you're missing the Scramjet aka Speed Racer car.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Some observations about weaponry in GTA: O :

Headshots count the most. This sounds obvious, but armored enemies are such ridiculous bullet sponges that it's worth driving the point home. That's even more true while fighting from a vehicle. One bullet can disable an enemy vehicle long enough for you to lose the tail.

That isn't to say that center of mass and extremity shots are useless, as they pretty easily stagger NPCs. Again, one bullet can buy you an entire armor bar's worth of time to reposition or switch targets.

DPS isn't as important as accuracy (to get the headshot in the first place), rate of fire (to get as many chances to headshot in the shortest period of time), and range (because the enemies can and will headshot you from across the map, far past autoaim range).

Certain base game weapons aquit themselves very well in all these regards. A combo of silenced AP Pistol with magazine upgrade for vehicle fighting, fully upgraded Carbine Rifle for on-foot work, the Grenade Launcher, and Sticky Bombs will carry you very far vs NPCs.

A fully upgraded MG can be a powerful addition, too. Huge mag, high damage, and decent enough range, with a low enough rate of fire to stay on target regardless of it's recoil make it an NPC shredder at medium range. I abandoned rifles entirely for the MG->Combat MG->Mk. II Combat MG.

You don't even need a sniper rifle unless a mission demands it, in which case the game gives you one anyway.

Any of the Mk. II weapons are nice to have, but not so good until you can commit time and money (so. much. money.) to unlocking all upgrades through the Bunker. They are also hideously expensive for a lower level player.

That said, the Pump Shotgun Mk. II w/explosive ammo is a beast at close range, and the Heavy Sniper Mk. II w/infrared scope and explosive ammo is probably the most ridiculously OP weapon in the game.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Medullah posted:

Also my personal recommendation is to NOT get the Pounder or Mule Customs for the Nightclub and just do small sales with the strangely invincible Speedo Custom. Though I guess that's not as big a deal now that you can sell in private lobbies.

I'd argue that the Pounder Custom is kind of a must to max out each NC sell, if you have five-six MC businesses. Switch out the Meth/Coke employee for weed, let that accrue along with Sporting and Import Goods while you wait, at around 50% capacity (avoiding a police raid if AFK) sell in a full lobby for the bonus. Maybe keep an eye on what's happening in the public lobby you are in, but I rarely get harrassed.

The Speedo Custom is a very good vehicle though, and much underappreciated (like it's IRL counterpart, the Chevy/GMC full size vans). It can make you a load of cash early on with the NC and is fairly useful for other poo poo, too. The armor upgrades and height of the van make it difficult for NPCs to shoot through the windows, the thing can get out of it's own way well enough, and the driver-controlled .50 HMG makes quick work of anything except a tank. The Speedo Custom trivializes some of the Agency Contract Missions (it even makes Asset Protection fun-ish!)
It's downsides are a very light rear end and low top speed, requiring a bit of care during cornering to stay straight and keep the speed up.

As an aside, remember that some businesses give easy access to certain vehicles just by owning them. The NC comes with the Speedo Custom (upgradable), the Agency has the SuperVolito (a direct upgrade to the free Frogger, and most useful for Valuables Recovery), and the Executive Office Securoserve menu grants armored passenger vehicles and the Buzzard, for a price.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Clearly, I have Opinions about GTA: O.

This is one of the funnest threads in Games to interact with new or returning players. This one, and the Snowrunner thread, but that is a different beast altogether.

Kinda like the Newbie thread in TFR. Without as much chance of bodily injury if you do shoot yourself in the foot. Less expensive, too.

Forgot where I was going with that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

Clearly, I have Opinions about GTA: O.

This is one of the funnest threads in Games to interact with new or returning players. This one, and the Snowrunner thread, but that is a different beast altogether.

Kinda like the Newbie thread in TFR. Without as much chance of bodily injury if you do shoot yourself in the foot. Less expensive, too.

Forgot where I was going with that.

Hey now, I have DEFINITELY injured myself playing this game.

Falling down because I drank and heisted for hours with my friends and got blackout drunk

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

madeintaipei posted:

I'd argue that the Pounder Custom is kind of a must to max out each NC sell, if you have five-six MC businesses. Switch out the Meth/Coke employee for weed, let that accrue along with Sporting and Import Goods while you wait, at around 50% capacity (avoiding a police raid if AFK) sell in a full lobby for the bonus. Maybe keep an eye on what's happening in the public lobby you are in, but I rarely get harrassed.

The Speedo Custom is a very good vehicle though, and much underappreciated (like it's IRL counterpart, the Chevy/GMC full size vans). It can make you a load of cash early on with the NC and is fairly useful for other poo poo, too. The armor upgrades and height of the van make it difficult for NPCs to shoot through the windows, the thing can get out of it's own way well enough, and the driver-controlled .50 HMG makes quick work of anything except a tank. The Speedo Custom trivializes some of the Agency Contract Missions (it even makes Asset Protection fun-ish!)
It's downsides are a very light rear end and low top speed, requiring a bit of care during cornering to stay straight and keep the speed up.

As an aside, remember that some businesses give easy access to certain vehicles just by owning them. The NC comes with the Speedo Custom (upgradable), the Agency has the SuperVolito (a direct upgrade to the free Frogger, and most useful for Valuables Recovery), and the Executive Office Securoserve menu grants armored passenger vehicles and the Buzzard, for a price.

There is no bonus to doing a single large sale versus 2 or 3 small sales, just focus coke, meth, guns, cash, and CEO goods because those pay the most versus time and sell in the speedo when you have however many crates, 80 I think? You're selling more often but your money/time ratio ends up better, you don't have to worry about raids, and the speedo is easier to drive around.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I will say the biggest problem with the Pounder was it getting stuck with no way of getting it unstuck, but the Up and Atomizer solved that problem. I still preferred selling with the Speedo.

gently caress, am I going to have to come back to this game

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

There is no bonus to doing a single large sale versus 2 or 3 small sales, just focus coke, meth, guns, cash, and CEO goods because those pay the most versus time and sell in the speedo when you have however many crates, 80 I think? You're selling more often but your money/time ratio ends up better, you don't have to worry about raids, and the speedo is easier to drive around.

Yeah. At the very, very high end of nightclub sales, I think there's technically a little extra money to be made (iirc, Tony's cut is capped at some amount, so anything you sell above a certain point is pure profit), but I cannot for the life of me imagine it being worth micromanaging the nightclub warehouse or waiting for everything to be maxed before selling. It makes more sense to me to just check in periodically and sell everything whenever it's crossed the "yeah, this is worth my time to do right now" mark. (For me, that's usually any time I notice there's over $400k waiting to be sold.)

I figure if you're at the point where you've got a nightclub with all the trimmings, you probably don't need to worry about maximizing profit at all costs; just pay as much attention to things as feels comfortable, and if that means you miss out on a few tens of thousands here and there along the way, it's not gonna matter in the long run.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like that the nightclub safe now makes nearly as much money as the warehouse and sales with the only investment being "walk out, enter passive, walk back in, throw out nuisance patron" every day or two.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like that the nightclub safe now makes nearly as much money as the warehouse and sales with the only investment being "walk out, enter passive, walk back in, throw out nuisance patron" every day or two.

Yeah this. The Nightclub is the only thing that actually makes me money in the way I want it to (just showing up to collect cash). I'd pay for a modding menu before I'd grind (I bought the cards because I want to purely drive around and frag suckas :homebrew:)

I'm at level 138 but at least 30 of those are from being in random lobbies where some shady benefactor starts doling out cash 185k a time and a few thousand RP. Once there was a trivia game and I cleaned up, got a couple levels and about half a mil out of that. The means of giving cash seems to be by triggering the collection of collectibles (EPs, Jack o' Lanterns, etc.)- sadly I had already collected all that was available save for a few action figures, so all that effort was for naught :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s been a while since I played and I don’t remember how the nightclub works; what does “go passive” mean in this context?