Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My parents are both retired. They're doing fine for money, but my mom was asking me today about them selling some property they'd like to not have to worry about. They live in Northern California (wine country); my mom has a rental house that she inherited from her parents in the late 80s/early 90s, the house is probably 70 or 80 years old, has knob and tube wiring, and needs a bunch of work. They currently have long-term tenants in there who are getting a sweetheart deal (since my parents haven't raised their rent in over a decade). My dad has (I think it's technically in both of their names) about 80 acres of rural property (unpaved roads for the last several miles) with the necessary easements to access it. He bought this from his boss probably 15 years ago, and it has probably tripled or more in value since (I think he paid around $70,000 for it, it's worth over $200,000 now). Neither of these places have been their primary residences in the recent past (we lived in the rental for several months 27ish years ago).

Obviously, I've recommended that they talk to an attorney and a tax accountant about doing this, but are their any pitfalls they should know to avoid or any vehicles for the sales I should suggest they specifically look at? Would it be better for them to talk to the tax accountant first, or the lawyer first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread