Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

viral spiral posted:

The DoD has been manipulating Hollywood long before 2015. Your point?

They were ahead of the curve, their storylines were very relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Wamsutta posted:

Same. Ice cold of Saul to give the go ahead knowing Franny was there and the possibility for her to catch a stray if things went sideways. Carrie's sister taking Franny is the outcome I really hope we get like, the very next episode.

While there is always risk, they seemed pretty confident it was just the two of them screwing and unless Sauls men were idiots there was no need for anyone to fire a shot.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Saul: carrie you can't question him anymore, he asked for a lawyer!

Carrie: ok. how about we just fuckin poison him and hope he confesses??

Saul: now we're talkin!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

For a second, when Saul said he was on his way to see Simone I thought he was going to get ambushed and killed by the Russians.

Those guards sure sucked though, kinda reminded me of the good old perimeters in 24. I'm enjoying it though, it's interesting seeing the Russian side.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It feels like this is leading to Simone going on Russian TV and saying that David Wellington paid for the assassination

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I'm just stoked that Franny may have gone back to her home planet for a while

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Origami Dali posted:

Saul: carrie you can't question him anymore, he asked for a lawyer!

Carrie: ok. how about we just fuckin poison him and hope he confesses??

Saul: now we're talkin!

So that was literally the plan? I thought I missed something.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Dmitri-9 posted:

They were ahead of the curve, their storylines were very relevant.

You don't think the current season is a bit russophobic the same way this show was islamophobic during earlier seasons?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Wamsutta posted:

I'm just stoked that Franny may have gone back to her home planet for a while

This is an Emmy-worthy development. Also, good ep.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

viral spiral posted:

You don't think the current season is a bit russophobic the same way this show was islamophobic during earlier seasons?

we're not supposed to be cheering for the russians?

every character on team america from the start of this series has been loving loathsome... if you were never particularly convinced they were the 'good guys' the show is actually quite fair. it's just a series of people being pointlessly lovely to each other, which you gotta figure is how most 'intelligence' agencies spend their time.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
The skin permeable ink reminds me of the scene from that movie The Jackal (?) with Bruce Willis where he tricks some would-be thieves into poisoning themselves with some "spray-on" poison applied to a car door.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Dylan Baker is good in this episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Russian spy also plays Oleg in The Americans, another Russian spy. Homeland and The Americans are also airing at the same time. Sucks that he's typecast.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

The Russian spy also plays Oleg in The Americans, another Russian spy. Homeland and The Americans are also airing at the same time. Sucks that he's typecast.

Unlike other actors, Costa Ronin is actually Russian and has a great understanding of his homeland (hah!) and their place on the global stage. Super fascinating dude, he's done a few podcast interviews for The Americans that are always fun.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

"we can keep you safe"

Not even a mall security guard at his room.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Who's the guy playing Clayton (dude that Yevgeny shot)? He looks really familiar but I can't figure out from what, and it's driving me nuts.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This season gettin’ good. Gettin’ real good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Who's the guy playing Clayton (dude that Yevgeny shot)? He looks really familiar but I can't figure out from what, and it's driving me nuts.

Thomas G. Waites

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Do we know if Clayton survived?

Poisoning Dante didn't work out too well, so maybe Carrie should revert to her preferred spycraft tactic of coitus interrogatus.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Can't believe I still watch this fuckin show

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I wish Carrie would kill her child already.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want Carrie to kidnap her daughter and Dante and start a cross-country trip to Disneyland

"WE ARE A HAPPY FAMILY! SO HAPPY!"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Tailored Sauce posted:

I wish Carrie would kill her child already.

I think she just did. But that's what they want us to think so it's not true and we get several seasons more of dealing with having a kid on the show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

I want Carrie to kidnap her daughter and Dante and start a cross-country trip to Disneyland

"WE ARE A HAPPY FAMILY! SO HAPPY!"

“EVERYBODY DISCO DANCING!”

BWUHHHH? WHO IS DRIVING CAR? BRODY IS DRIVING CAR! HOW CAN THIS BE?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

TraderStav posted:

I think she just did. But that's what they want us to think so it's not true and we get several seasons more of dealing with having a kid on the show.

I mean, if she backed over her daughter in front of witnesses and peeled out, I feel like even in Homeland we don't see Carrie again. She'd be institutionalized. I think she couldn't tell if she killed her or not and it was freaking her out as a prelude to going full insane with flashbacks of people she's gotten killed (which was great imo) when she got to the hospital.

My only beef with the episode was how easy it was to walk into Dante's room. Like wtf. He's being charged with high espionage. There would be feds posted all along the hallway and in the room itself. Insane how easy access he was.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Alternatively, we find out that this whole season was in her head and she's been in a manic break for all or part of the season.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The bipolar storyline must be a tough element for the writers to work with at this point in the series. You can only oscillate so much between "oh god she's not on her meds" and "oh phew she's got it under control" before it starts to feel hackneyed, which I believe it does now.

The daughter storyline, on the other hand, is and always has been a total disaster but we all knew that already.

There have been some moments here and there this season but I'm hoping they really are laying the groundwork for Carrie's final descent into madness because this show needs to be euthanized stat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The eight season -- next season -- is planned to be the last. Apparently they knew that when they were writing this season, so I suspect they're building to something here.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I imagine Saul taking her out back like Old Yeller is one potential ending.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Chinook posted:

I imagine Saul taking her out back like Old Yeller is one potential ending.

much like this thread.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vernacular posted:

The bipolar storyline must be a tough element for the writers to work with at this point in the series. You can only oscillate so much between "oh god she's not on her meds" and "oh phew she's got it under control" before it starts to feel hackneyed, which I believe it does now.

If you have any family or friends with BPD though, this can be tragically realistic. It's probably also why marriages involving one spouse with BPD have a 90% divorce rate.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

”Business is about to pick up, folks.”

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not sure why the writers are trying to make me feel sympathetic toward the president but it's not working.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not sure why the writers are trying to make me feel sympathetic toward the president but it's not working.

I think the problem is that the writers haven't figured out the character themselves so it's hard for us to sympathize for her because even though she's been in plenty of scenes she's not fleshed out a whole lot more than say the principal at Franny's school.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah, she's a mess. But I'd guess that making her appear as such is closer to the aim than it is to portray her as sympathetic, which I don't see at all.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

The writers thought Hillary was going to win during season 6, and welp, the election results hosed up their longterm plan of having Carrie and quasi-Hillary team up against Alex Jones and neo-nazi militants.

InfiniteZero posted:

I think the problem is that the writers haven't figured out the character themselves so it's hard for us to sympathize for her because even though she's been in plenty of scenes she's not fleshed out a whole lot more than say the principal at Franny's school.

It's because quasi-Hillary was written as a sympathetic character in season 6; they even had Dar and Deep State undermining her. After Trump won, it's clear they rewrote her character at the last minute to be more unlikeable (like Trump) as an attempt to somewhat parallel current events.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I'd agree that the writers have been shoehorning the plot to fit current events, but its not like her downward trajectory is an invention purely insular to season 7. It would be hard for a character -not- to end up on such a road after jailing dozens of vaguely-connected conspirators in the previous season. I'd guess the writers have intended her to fit the paranoid-yet-sympathetic mold from the get-go.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Keane definitely comes across to me as a hosed up hybrid Hillary-Trump, and she isn't even vaguely likable. I am rooting hard for her to be 25th'd out of office.

I like how even when they write Franny out they make us see endless Franny scenes.

gently caress I hate it when they add kids to TV shows.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite "history hosed y'all" was basing an entire season on tensions with Iran right as the international community signed the Iran deal. TROLOLOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Well goddamn.

• Locked thread