Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

To clarify, is Obamacare evil by this threads exacting standards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Wow I really underestimated that Trump guy.

Looks like all the people who need Obamacare to live are gonna have to take it for the team.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 14, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Wow, you really got him there.

Is it or is it not evil to provide Obamacare benefits to the people who need them to live?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why are you holing Obamacare Democrats responsible for the actions of Republicans who blocked any more robust healthcare reform and the future actions of republicans who will attempt to destroy Obamacare?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

Because at the time they held large majorities in the House and Senate and could have pushed for a stronger bill instead of the watered down compromise we got.

The Limbaugh's, Hannity's and the groups that made up the Tea Party would have been apoplectic regardless if the Democrats had tried for Full Single Payer Now or the watered down Heritage Foundation tripe that we got. So the political cost was the same no matter what, but by going with the weak bill we got, a lot more people are dying or financially struggling than otherwise, and as the ACA repeal has shown, it would have been politically impossible to get rid of once the right regained power.

I don't remember the legislative history of Obamacare but i seem to remember it needed to be filibuster proof and there were some Democrats

ACA repeal was defeated by one or two votes. It obviously isn't impossible to get rid of and I have no idea why you would believe that.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It obviously isn't "on them." Voters in Republican districts reward Republicans for opposing health care; while posters ITT punish Democrats for not making the very large number of Americans who oppose healthcare disappear.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

So it's the Democrats fault Republicans are capable of fabricating lies?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

There's no policy that can exist where a lie can't be told about it. Are you capable of understanding that?

Just consider how often Republicans lie about canadas healthcare.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Funny how Republicans are never punished by this rubric.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 15, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

people focus their efforts on trying to get the nominal "make the world better" party to actually do so instead of simply making the world worse more slowly, is because that way they've actually got a chance of accomplishing something.

Posters ITT aren't "trying" anything, they are posting about being proud of not having voted and fiddled while Republicans gained seats and came within a hairsplit of repealing ACA.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

You aren’t just critiquing ACA you are calling it’s supporters evil.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Not unless you base your entire life around defending every part of ACA.

There are people on this Page who have said supporters of ACA are evil. I've started to think I'm getting punked by Trump supporters.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 15, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

After reading more of your posts in this thread, I have a question - are you even aware of the whole intra-Democratic debate between the left and center-left/center?

This isn't a debate about Democratic positioning. This is a thread where Democrats are called evil by non-voters and that goes unchallenged. And allegedly that evil extends to the state and local offices that non-voters non-voted for; or maybe non-voters are too idiotic to know there are people running other than President and congress.

Moreover, ITT no one else challenges the idea that lying is less evil than having a policy position that can conceivably be lied about. That is such a fundamentally morally and logically adrift position that I don't know how to respond to it, other than knowing that such a defective person can never be appeased by any set of policy.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 15, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Well helps when you got an opponent who is willing to run away from even something as weak as Obamacare. As happened in both 2010 and 2014. In 2014 the democrats ran people who wouldn't even defend poo poo like medicaid expansion, but ho also defended wallstreet. The democrats deserve to expire and frankly the sooner America is done with them the better.

Emptyquoting before you edit that link

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 19, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Wronng like but then there is this.

Also I can see you can't deny that that is a problem.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/29/alison-lundergan-grimes-embrace-of-obamacare-is-at/

Can you actaully deny that that's a problem. Or are you going to act like the type of subhuman like JC?

What are you trying to communicate by your link?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

So the Republican congress is going to pass prescription imports any day now right?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Majorian posted:

You do realize that people who criticize the Democrats from the left still tend to turn out for the Dems, right?:psyduck:

I'm not convinced of that. This thread, for example.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I’m sorry for you that you are evil, Baron Porkface. That must be a hard information to assimilate and accept.

nuh-uh you are evil.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Majorian posted:

Well, I think that’s probably not the best barometer for that sort of thing. The fact that only 12% of Bernie voters didn’t turn out for Clinton, while somewhere in the vicinity of 25% of Clinton ‘08 supporters refused to vote for Obama.

It’s almost as if...centrist Dems...are less interested in social AND economic justice than leftists?:thunk:

But I thought Obama was the EEEEEvil centrist.

edit: and Turmp is an enormously different candidate from McCain. and Bernie supporters raged across the internet spreading anti-clinton propaganda I certainly don't remember that in 2008 after the convention.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 15, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Crane Fist posted:

Is that because your brain got damaged the day after Obama got the nomination

Social media wasn't as prevalent back then and it was 10 eyars ago, I could just not be remembering.

Are you able to quantify the anti-obama propaganda?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Ok now my memory is jogged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

This thread gives me a newfound respect for Republicans who at least understand the basic causality between winning elections and implementing policy.

• Locked thread