Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's stupid to just call everything that doesn't agree with you "evil" then pack up your brain and stop thinking. Some policies are evil, some are wrong. Just declaring it a war of good and evil and that everyone is evil is just a short cut to not thinking.

Capitalism is evil though, and a party that supports it is also evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sure, I didn't bring up uber, someone brought it up at me. People can keep trying to convince me the gig economy is bad and I can keep copying and posting that I think the gig economy is bad. I think a company where most of the money that goes to the people that works there and only a small percentage goes to the company is really cool, but the reality of 2018 america make it actually very bad. The ability to now run companies with such thin overhead will probably do some cool things in countries that are better than the US or hopefully in a future US that is better than it is now. If you are looking for a taxi job in the next ten years don't go with uber unless you live in one of those cities where taxi drivers were already mistreated so extremely that even uber is better.

You've been jacking off to dumb tech bullshit for it's own sake for fifteen years, no shock you love the gig economy where a company can be absolutely ludicrously evil and get away with it. You probably think it's great that Uber will buy you a car and automatically deduct payments from your check at an insane interest rate, too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you step on a flower it might displace a bee that goes on to have it'd decedents murder a baby a thousand miles away. If you can somehow know that then don't step on that flower. Otherwise you gotta judge the reasonable consequences of all your actions and if you feel like the likely outcome of what you are doing is more aid to republicans than to the causes you want then change your tactics. If you are running a campaign that can win, go for it, if all it will do is lose horribly and win for the republicans work towards your goals in more effective ways, if you legitimately don't know until you try then do what you can to minimize harm.

I think the best way to minimize harm is not voting for people whose policies do not serve to enrich the wealthy while loving the poor in the rear end

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

what do people even think "technocrat" is at this point? some weird "cell phones are bad and this has the word techno in it so it's bad"? Are people in this thread not technocrats?

Owlofcreamcheese is, as ever, unable to understand anything bad about words that refer to science or technology in any way

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And that is why you help republicans win?

I believe that voting for Democrats would also do harm, just much more slowly, insidiously, and in a way people are conditioned to accept

It is possible for me to not like Democrats or republicans and not want either one to win, this isn't a hard concept

The Democrats don't represent my interests. As such, I won't vote for them until they do. This is how voting works as a concept. I'm glad I could explain this to you in between your hourly jack off sessions to wired

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
But dickeye think of all the good Obama did for you in those eight years, like the health care reform that left you applying for Medicaid because you still couldn't afford health care and we're one emergency away from bankruptcy

And what about Hillary and her fight to not raise minimum wage to a livable level so you're working sixty hours a week to get by and none of it is over time

And they really do love the dreamers, honest

gently caress them, and gently caress you and your limp dick decorum bullshit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hilary wanted to raise the national minimum wage to 165% what it is now, Sanders wanted to raise it to 206%, better vote republican so they can lower it to 0% of what it is now. Lowering it is exactly the same as raising it.

Her response to fight for didteen was "how about twelve" which is in fact not a livable wage, and as such not a platform I support. Also I like that because I said they're both bad, I voted Republican (I didn't)

Really you should stop with the "oh you don't like the Dems? Guess you voted Republican" poo poo, it's gross as hell even for your idiot brain

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 18, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Imagine if she had had the stones to actually support a livable wage, she might have gotten some votes, better blame people for not eating a big pile of poo poo instead of the politician who offered it to them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

There is an argument to be made that expending political capital on insufficient measures is not really much better than not spending it on doing nothing.

If you're dealing with someone who will raise the minimum wage to an insufficient amount and then turn around and use the fact they did that to suppress further efforts to raise it, "all or nothing" is not really a bizarre position.

Its not even about that, it's as simple as 12 dollars is not enough. I live in upstate NY, minimum is 10 and change here. I work sixty hours a week to get by. If it went to twelve an hour, I would work maaaaybe five hours a week less by the time you took out taxes (which are wild as hell here and I'm cool with it because it pays for poo poo that makes living possible, like snow plows in winter!)

By contrast, fifteen an hour would mean I could work forty hours a week, make as much as I am now, and not be doing 14 hour days (at two jobs, lest you think I get the blessed gift of overtime) three days a week to do it

Don't offer me poo poo that doesn't improve my life in a measurable way and tell me you're doing Mr a favor, especially when the better option is also up for grabs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So you are saying that 12 is bad but 15 is good so democrats are bad but ignoring that NY already signed it's 15 dollar an hour law that was written, voted by and signed by democrats?

It's 15 by the end of this year if you are at a company with more than 11 employees and 15 an hour by the end of the year next year if you have less than 11 employees. That is a law that exists that democrats pushed, won and signed. Like were you just so angry at democrats you didn't even bother to support the thing you wanted them to support for you?

I want everyone to have it, not just me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"I think it's Bullshit that Hillary didn't argue for a federal minimum wage of fifteen dollars an hour"
"Ah but new York is getting it in a year and a half checkmate leftist you can't be mad that the federal minimum wage isn't fifteen because the state will be, eventually"

You're a fuckin psychopath if you think everyone is focused only on themselves

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So you want the real purchasing power of minimum wage to be less for people in new york and california for some reason because it would make a number the same? Instead of recognizing that new york has a higher cost of living and you need a higher minimum wage to buy the same amount of things?

The cool thing about the minimum wage is it's okay to pay people more, fifteen dollars an hour should still be the absolutely bare minimum anyone in this godforsaken capitalist hellscape is making, and gently caress you for insinuating that I actually don't care about people and that's why I want them to make an actual amount of money

Seriously, go gently caress yourself oocc, if you think 12/hr is okay federally because NY will be at fifteen in a year or two, depending on where you work. I could have used fifteen an hour just as badly when I lived in North Carolina

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Okay, so why didn't you vote for the democrats in your own state that were pushing for that? Like you are claiming you were so angry that the national democrat policy was 12 that that made you not support your local democrats pushing 15? You would give up yourself and everyone in your state getting 15 because someone else might only get 12 (and instead of 12 you favored them getting minimum wage lowered?)

Stop responding to me, I'm disturbed by your obsession with me and with trying to find some way to make my desire for everyone in this country to make a livable wage into a shortsighted and selfish goal particularly by shifting the goal posts aeay from the 2016 election

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
For real though don't loving talk to me until you're willing to discuss why you think it's okay to not support a livable minimum wage at the federal level

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How does not voting democratic in a local election help get "everyone" anything? It seems super clear you didn't even know the minimum wage was changing, so it seems super clear you didn't even look at what democrats in your area had been running on and just made up a platform they probably had in your head then used that to justify not voting for them.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

For real though don't loving talk to me until you're willing to discuss why you think it's okay to not support a livable minimum wage at the federal level

id like to applaud you on being a poo poo stupid moron while also successfully shifting from "its bad that hillary didnt come out in support of fight for fifteen" to "ah but you're bad because new york already had it" like that has anything to do with my point

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"don't talk to me anymore because you caught me that I didn't know democrats in my area were supporting the exact thing I was demanding and already had got it passed and that ruins my claim it's immoral to ever vote for democrats"

whats that got to do with the federal minimum wage, also dont put words in my mouth

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

you said "The Democrats don't represent my interests. As such, I won't vote for them until they do."

They represented your interest. Now you are claiming you didn't vote for local democrats to send a message to the national democratic party? Even though new york had it's governor election so it ended before the primary that hillary won and sanders lost?

Did you time travel? You didn't vote in a local election because the future candidate in a national election of the party didn't support a certain level of minimum wage?

no, i didn't vote in a local election because i work and our voting system discriminates against broke rear end motherfuckers like me, but eat my whole rear end until you get around to telling me why it's okay that hillary didn't support 15/hr

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
simple question, oocc

do you think its reasonable to not vote for the democrats in the presidential election because their candidate for president did not support a livable federal minimum wage

among other things but lets stick with that one because its one that i, as a broke dude who works two lovely jobs to make ends meet in a state with a minimum wage that is fifty percent higher than the federal one, am very invested in seeing happen, because nobody should have to work without being able to support themselves at the end of the day

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 19, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

We've a nasty word for people who do things that help them but gently caress over the rest of the working class. So opposing a local candidate on the basis that their national party opposes a livable minimum wage is not particularly odd.

Also I literally don't have time for local politics because, as stated above I work sixty hours a week to stay afloat

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

When one candidate is offering a 65% increase in minimum wage and trying to put it 15% above the poverty line and the other candidate is trying to reduce it to zero it's not really a vague "lesser of two evils" thing.

That wasn't what I asked you oocc, please answer my question

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm sure you are the true leftist. That could not be convinced to vote one way or the other in a vote that was literally "raise the minimum wage over the poverty line" or "reduce it to zero"

I mean I'm the one arguing that twelve dollars an hour isn't a living wage and as such is a poo poo platform but also let's all giggle at the idea that it would have actually happened, because we all know starting from a compromise is great and good and doesn't end with more compromises

So since you haven't actually answered my question it looks like we can safely surmise that you're in favor of the lesser evil. I think that is bullshit and I'm not going to support it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

hey poor people, I know you might like to have income above the poverty line but like, I'm sending a message, so hang in a few more years.

I like that you're sticking with above the poverty line and not livable you sycophantic piece of poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also by the time you take out even the most meager taxes in states that don't take out much for themselves twelve an hour outs you JUST BARELY over poverty

Thanks abuela now instead if starving I'm just mostly starving

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also if you think twelve would be a stepping stone to fifteen instead of a way for people to throw their hands up and say look you're not living in literal poverty anymore what more do you want I have several Bridges to sell you

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wow what a surprise oocc is a moron and I'm a bigger one for believing that I had missed hearing about the whole state getting fifteen an hour despite the fact that it would absolutely be the talk of everyone in retail hell

gently caress yourself oocc, you don't even know what you're arguing about

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

The sign of a true leftist is that they immediately compromise with rich people to accept the barest minimum concessions to their survival.

Twelve dollars an hour outs you just two grand over the poverty line

Fifteen would be nine grand

But no yeah going from poverty to subsistence is good enough

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The people living in poverty probably like the idea of not living in poverty instead of your principled stand to have trump reduce the minimum wage in some convoluted unexplained plan how that somehow gets you 15 dollars an hour.

Show where I supported that plan, please, and them swing back around to the part where NY State isn't going to have 15/hr as a whole by the end of 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also I am not technically living in poverty but only because I work sixty hours a week,every week, including three fourteen hour days

So I feel like I have a grasp on how people living on minimum wage feel here

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oocc given that new York state will not have 15/hr by the end of next year like you thought are you willing to apologize for treating me like a narcissistic rear end in a top hat and agree that perhaps I do have the interests of the millions like me at heart

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

Technicality aside that seems like some kind of poverty given that I'd literally die if I had to do that.

oh yeah no it absolutely loving sucks and i spend friday-sunday, every week, praying for death, monday and tuesday (hopefully) recovering, and then wednesday and thursday preparing to do it again while working my main job

the only upside is that my air quotes side gig is absolutely mindless and i spend at least one of those shifts, cumulatively, loving around watching tokusatsu on my phone, and i get to catch up on a lot of podcasts

downside is, i work 10 PM-6 AM so my body has stopped knowing what time or day it is

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

12 dollars would literally be the highest national minimum wage of any country on earth except australia or luxembourg. There are numbers higher than 12, and all of them would be even better, but I literally can not comprehend of voting republican or not voting based on using THIS as some hard line you won't budge on.

There is only two countries on the entire planet you could vote in an election if you could only vote for numbers higher than 12 without it being too much of a neoliberal compromise for your high standards.

god what do those countries have that we dont that drives up the cost of loving existing you stupid poo poo, and why are you settling for "barely above the poverty line"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
have you ever loving considered (you haven't) that perhaps minimum wage doesn't exist in a vacuum, that comparing the numbers in the hellscape that is america to any other developed nation is goddamn insane, that settling for just barely not starving to death is not loving acceptable?

no

of course you haven't

it would require you to be a sapient human being instead of a fuckin dipshit with a fetish for science

and you act like im immoral for not wanting to choose between "work to death" and "starve"

gently caress you

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The US has a lower cost of living than 25 countries. It's okay to admit that if the US raised it's minimum wage by SIXTY FIVE PERCENT that it wouldn't be the worst country on earth. Like it currently is at 7.25 (soon to possibly be zero)

no, but it would still be unacceptable to have an entire class of people working forty hours a week to just barely get over the poverty line

also which 25 countries might those be sweetums

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i found the list he googled for and wouldn't you know it

its a bunch of places where your taxes pay for actual social safety nets, and a few that don't but have Other Issues like for example japan being full of loving people

hes right, everything is fine with people at the poverty line as a matter of fact

(gently caress you)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hey oocc what do you do for a living? gimme a ballpark of how much you make, since you want to scoff at how other people are talking to people in poverty (even when they're only avoiding poverty by working nonstop), and i've been pretty open about my financial situation

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh word so maybe don't talk poo poo about how I don't care about people in poverty then given that I have a slight bit more experience with slaving away for minimum wage in 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Has there been an acknowledgement that oocc was wrong about NY minwage or any convincing argument advanced against fight for fifteen at any point in the last week

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 26, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

What does your heart tell you?

I like to dream of a day when he marginally improves as a poster,

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Literally nothing in the last ten plus years has indicated that giving Dems power will push things further left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SSNeoman posted:

If you're hoping to hear me make some defense of the dems' stupid practices then I am going to disappoint you. Everything you talk about comes as a consequence from a FPTP voting system. As such, Duverger's Law reigns supreme.
And again, you're indirectly criticizing me with a slippery slope argument in response to a hypothetical.

Here's the thing: it's not "oh ir could be a slippery slope", we're fuckin on it, we slipped ages ago and we're sliding down it right now and you're basically going well maybe if I grease my rear end up now I'll actually stop sliding later

And like, maybe

But on the other hand, recorded history

• Locked thread