Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

roomforthetuna posted:

The problem with voting for the lesser of two evils is the Overton window still gets shifted further in the direction of evil every cycle.
The problem with voting for nothing is the Overton window still gets shifted in the direction of evil, and by more than it would have been had you voted for the lesser evil, assuming everyone else's votes are between the big two. And the risk of the greater evil winning in the short term is also increased by the non-vote.
Voting for a third party stands some chance of shifting the Overton window towards that party's policies, even if that party's existence acts as a spoiler and lets the greater evil win. Perhaps especially if it acts as a spoiler. In the short term the risk of the greater evil winning is still increased.

I'm in favor of the longer term goal that suggests voting for a third party, because I've witnessed the effect of the Overton window moving to almost exclusively Neoliberal options in several countries, and it sucks. Voting for the lesser evil doesn't even prevent the greater evil from winning, half the time, so the "protest vote" in the hope that maybe later the flow of poo poo can be stopped seems more valuable than a vote to maybe weakly slow the flow of poo poo.

A different voting system sure would be nice though, so I could fruitlessly vote both to shift the Overton window in my preferred direction and weakly slow the flow of poo poo.

I agree with that. The democrats have been capitulating to this perceived idea that the nation wants a boring centrist, and I think as a result they've been the minority party (between Congress and the Presidency) for a very long time now. So not only have they sold out the ideals of liberal government in favor of high-profile grandstanding about stuff nobody cares about (Dreamers), BUT they weren't even effective at gaining power in exchange for the sell-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread