Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Nothing he said was controversial. Republicans win because they'll promise to gently caress over their enemies and then actually do it. Democrats act like they're afraid of their own shadows. Probably because most Democrats in congress are wealthy themselves and, as Nancy Pelosi admitted, "we're capitalists". Democrats are controlled opposition at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Right now is one of the most politically polarized times in all of US history, The number of votes that go on anything but pure party lines is lower than it's ever been. Of all the lazy opinions possible "both parties are the same" is the dumbest and laziest possible one in 2018.

Like, you can say you don't like the agenda of either, and want something else, but they are demonstrably as polarized and in conflict as has ever been to the point it's tearing the country apart with wild policy swings between administrations.

I don't think anyone is saying both parties are the same, but clearly both parties support the rich over everyone else. The Democrats will throw some bread crumbs to the poor, but that's about it.

When the 2 options are getting punched in the face and shot in the face, is it any wonder why people aren't exactly enthused (even if one is obviously preferable to the other)?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

awesmoe posted:

are you arguing that le pen would have been better?

How can you read that and conclude that's what he's saying.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
As the Democratic party moves further to the right, the Republican party has to go even more extreme to differentiate themselves. The Democrats are part of the reason why the Republican party is a nihilistic death cult right now. Obama was not incorrect when he said the Democrats of today are moderate republicans from the 80's.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

7c Nickel posted:

Really? Where has the the Democratic party been moving to the right? The 2016 platform was the farthest left its been in multiple decades.

Since Bill Clinton and his war on crime, ending welfare, deregulation, etc.? Democrats have also been complicit in the decline of unions. I personally don't understand why any union groups even support democrats anymore. Platform means nothing, results are all that matters.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Brony Car posted:

The GOP and conservative indoctrination organizations like the Federalist Society have done an amazing job screwing up the political landscape. Money always mattered in politics, but ever since Citizens United, the money level required to campaign effectively has grown to ridiculous heights.

This is why the megadonors can push the Democratic leadership around, as much as we hate that. Even on a state and local level, most people who aren't hilariously rich are not going to be able to take time out to run without monetary support. Radio and television spots, internet presence, phone banking, volunteer recruitment and office space all have costs. And imagine if you're in a race that comes to national attention or you're in a "swing" state. You're not just fighting the GOP, but you're dealing with an enemy funded by Koch money on top of that. This is also a big part of why lobbyist organizations are so valuable is because they can mobilize voters effectively and you don't have to pay as much out of your own campaign to do it. It's why politicians have to kiss up to PACs too.

I agree that some money spent wisely can beat tons of money spent badly, but you still need amounts that you often don't get if you are limited to $10 and $20 donations from individuals.

You can talk about reforming the Democratic Party all you want, but it is factors like this that progressives will need to address effectively in order to make that happen in a sustainable way. If you can somehow counteract how much big money matters, you can reduce the whole "lesser evil" dynamic in the first place because the party will not need as much "Big Business" money in order to fight. You will also be opening up the number of candidates you can get who have not come from rich backgrounds (with all the baggage and indoctrination that can entail).

Bill Clinton acted like a Republican as president, way before Citizens United happened. Lets not pretend that the Democratic party will magically become progressive once you fix CU.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
I don't understand why leftists don't like Hillary Clinton? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_dp2AEUjM

What's there not to like?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Instant Sunrise posted:

The democrats were able to campaign on gay rights because groups like Code Pink held their feet to the fire on it. And in case you forgot, they were late as hell to the party on it. Obama didn't support gay marriage until 2012. In 2008 his campaign position was that marriage was between a man and a woman. In 2007 Barney Frank stabbed trans people in the back on ENDA and the democratic congress still wouldn't pass it when they had a majority.

So I say this as a lesbian woman who has fought for the right to get married to be afforded basic dignity.

And abortion rights have PP and NARAL to hold their feet to the fire on the issue, or else you'd bet they would backslide on abortion if it could get them votes, and in conservative districts they have.

The funny thing about Obama is that he ONLY started supported gay marriage because Joe Biden accidentally came out supporting it in an interview, then Obama and a bunch of other Dems had to scramble and get on the same page. One of the few times Joe putting his foot in his mouth actually helped with soemthing. But yeah, Obama probably would have ended his presidency not supporting gay marriage if it wasn't for Biden.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

large adult son posted:

"I want single payer so I don't have to raise money for my insulin (which I need to live) on GoFundMe"
"Sir, your personal experiences are invaluable but ultimately worthless unless they're presented as a list of specific changes you would make to existing bills, or preferablay as a completely new bill that the Dems can push through congress. Vote blue!"

"Sir, i think you would be better served if we fund the military for tens of billions of dollars more than they were asking for actually" - A democratic neoliberal technocrat.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Iron Twinkie posted:

I mean we learned recently that the DCCC not only brick walls progressive candidates out of races through rolodexing to make sure they are already in the back pocket of wealthy patrons, require the campaign to spend at least 75% of it's funds on pre-approved advertising consultants, but actively lobby Democrats to be shittier once they are in office.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dccc-las-vegas-massacre-email_us_5a9579f6e4b036ab0142c108?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/27/dccc-internal-polling-congress-single-payer/

The problem is that if we vote for the candidate that we want in the primary, then vote for the DCCC approved candidate in the general, we are actively making it more difficult to change the Democratic party into something better because frankly these people are our enemies even if they are less scary than Republicans and you don't win by making your enemies stronger. These people have repeatedly proven that they will actively fight against any progressive change and have no intention of either fighting against or providing an alternative to an increasingly white nationalist Republican party. What do we buy by supporting these people other than a couple of seat warmers that will block anything better while literal Nazis are taking over the Republican party?

"PROACTIVE SOLUTIONS (only if asked)" <--- this has to be the most democratic party phrase ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really just yet another facet of the earnest liberal belief that minorities are happy to be props to make them look good.

The democratic attitude is basically, "What are you gonna do, vote republican? :smug:"

• Locked thread