Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
For the sake of containment, I'd like to devote an entire DnD thread to the topic of "lesser of two evils" voting.

Please discuss the ramifications of the United States' 'First-past-the-post' style of elections, the two-party system it encourages, and whether or not voting should be obligatory or if abstaining from voting (or voting third-party) to protest this is considered worthwhile.

Considering nearly 45% of eligible voters did not vote in the 2016 Presidential election, there seems to be a strong message being sent by American voters on this matter, in my personal opinion.

As always, please debate and discuss.

E: please also consider primary voting versus general election voting!

E2: Also noteworthy to talk about spoiler candidates plus voting in other countries not limited to the US (eg: France, etc).

E3:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm enjoying the discussion so far, but here's a specific question I'd like to propose for the thread: what do you think of the lack of voting in the 2016 US Presidential election? Was it pure laziness?

Personally, I think more Americans were aware of the need to vote for the "lesser evil" but were simply too emotionally exhausted to do so. I feel like there's only so far you can go before people throw up their hands and say, "I can't do this anymore! I don't care what happens in the end, just leave me out of it" regardless of the consequences.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

quote:

For the argument is indeed trivial, but not so the separate wills thereby made manifest.

This seems to be particularly apt.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Baron Porkface posted:

Why are you holing Obamacare Democrats responsible for the actions of Republicans who blocked any more robust healthcare reform and the future actions of republicans who will attempt to destroy Obamacare?

Joe Lieberman re: withholding the public option?

Baron Porkface posted:

Funny how Republicans are never punished by this rubric.

...Yes? Because the Democrat and Republican voting bases have fundamentally different ways of judging the world (see: "fake news")?

It's plain to see that there is indeed a double standard for Republicans versus Democrats.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 15, 2018

• Locked thread