Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I'm arguing that the reason we hate Le Pen and would never in a million year vote for Le Pen is not because her name is Le Pen and her party is the Front National, but because her and her party's ideology is odious and reprehensible and gross and her opponent, who was painted as the last bastion against fascism, is literally turning whole sections of her ideology into public policy while still telling you that she is odious and reprehensible and gross
So gently caress him and gently caress her. I ain't ever voting for any more devils. The next time I'm faced with a choice like this I'll literally poo poo in the envelope and put it in the ballot box, then document it and post it here. :toxx:

Yeah but he'll pickup two Le Pen voters. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kemper Boyd posted:

Not an american, mind you, but I made up my mind in 2015 to stop voting entirely, because there's no path to actual good results within a representative democracy.

Primaries, actually. Dummie.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe it would be smart to run one of them for president instead of someone who opposes that next time?

:rolleyes:

What's a primary?

"People should vote for the candidate I like not the candidate they like!"

"When Clinton loses she should have been better, when Sanders loses it's because Clinton is bad."

Just to save ya'll the effort of going over it again.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 16, 2018

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

The 2013 bill was loving political theatre from the party that shot down their own bipartisan bill in 2010 to appeal to racists.

It sounds like you should be mad at the three people that voted against it and working to primary them instead of just constantly being mad on the internet at a lot of people who supported it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I wasn't critiquing the Democrats; I was critquing your & other lazy dems' argument that "other countries" have private, unregulated insurance, provider, and drug costs that mimic an ACA model, when that's not the case at all and our healthcare system in America stands alone globally in bankrupting people in exchange for medical care, or in making costs a litmus test as to whether people receive any medical care at all.

So you were critiquing policy, like he actually said.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

I still want to know why there were democrats helping Theresa May in the UK over Corbyn, if they're supposed to be secret pragmatic leftists.

Because not all Democrats

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Iron Twinkie posted:

Technocrats are a particular noxious breed of academic. Well bred, well credentialed, and utterly divorced from the context of the systems they deign to rule over. Having lived their whole lives in a protective layer of money, privilege, and the folds of their own rectum, that they have absolutely no reference point for the actual real world problems they are given the authority to solve. They're the type of well educated, dumb rear end in a top hat, freshly minted MBA that will try to apply six sigma to software development. In government, they are more interested making the organs of bureaucracy interact in interesting ways than actually helping people. They want the mother to prove she has skin in the game by solving their math problems, word puzzles, and riddles before she has a chance to save the life or her child and sole source of light in the miserable, ever present, crushing poverty of her life. They are the types that love lists, power point presentations, and charts and file peoples lived experiences under a back page labeled "externalities". They are the types that make me question whether I owe the tankies I've laughed at an apology and that the only thing that can solve these people and make them functioning members of society are Soviet style gulags and reeducation camps.

Holyshit this.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

That makes sense.

... I'm familiar with the "Oh hey, it's suddenly popular to tell Franken to resign on Twitter" :rolleyes: day last year; did I miss anyone relevant saying that he shouldn't resign?

They were going at Gillibrand about it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/969339577931583489

Can't wait for the Lesser Evil argument to vote for Lipinski if he wins the primary

Don't let him win it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

We just need to wait until we get 84 Senate seats, and then even after the hall passes go out for red state dems close to reelection and to blue state Dems who like money, we'll finally be able to pass single payer you whiners.

This but unironically. That's when we can party split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Vote dem because the republicans are worse, and please ignore when the dems vote for the republican policies.

Who is saying that besides you?

Primary those fucks every elections.

• Locked thread