Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Want to buy it... but it's real expensive in my Steam store for no reason, equivalent to like 55 bucks when most games out come out at half that. Need to figure out a way around that, thinking maybe look for someone in america to buy a code from GMG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Buccaneer posted:

Open beta for this game begins at midnight on psn, xbox, and steam

It was midnight UK so it's up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/797470/METAL_GEAR_SURVIVE_BETA/

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Agent Escalus posted:

Yes, but on the other hand, their fuckup management won't be in power forever

https://kotaku.com/konamis-profits-increase-by-almost-230-percent-1792335574

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

widespread posted:

So uh.. is there really any other beta skill I should take? I got CQC Counter (might not be worth it to be quite honest), Quick Hands, that one that lets you grab the enemy and shove said enemy to one side, and I forgot what else. I just know I sunk a point into STR, AGI, and VIT.

Also as it turns out I managed to get worse despite picking up how to drop fences and other goodies. Died on the second wave twice of the easy mission via what I assume is overextending and jumping into the fray too often.

Also also, if the non drill missions still involve doing something useful with 5k Kuban Cigarillos, I'd recommend just using the five minutes you get to get 5k Kuban Cigarillos. It's five clusters or 10 kills or some combo.

The sidestep is REALLY good, it's more like a dash. It lets you skip some windup animation for attacks and cancel moves too.

The heavy attack for each weapon is good, each one is really different and has different uses but they all hit hard.

The running attack sounds nice but in practice zombies will often hit you as you run in. You need VIT to really use that well or something, maybe combine it with lures so they are distracted.

The standing stomp is kind of lovely. In my experience, it doesn't do that much damage and I only see it being useful if both your main weapons are ungodly slow or maybe if you are focused on guns and shot at legs.

The crouching kick that knocks down enemies looks super cool but I'm not sure it's that useful. I got it thinking I could quickly knock down enemies and sledgehammer them but it's not as fluid as I wish it were.

I haven't tried the dive attack or the push. I think the push might knock multiple enemies back so it might be kind of nice, I need to try.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Oriental Hugs posted:

Aw man Im having trouble finding games on pc. I bought the pc version from GMG for 30 dollars but I can still cancel in time. Are there any good ps4 deals for SUrVIVE?

If you are american and interested I could give you the equivalent in Steam Wallet cards. I'm looking a code because the game is twice as expensive in my region for no reason.

someone pls help me buy this game ;w;

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Man today's hard mission is awesome. Every enemy coming from just a couple lanes really lends itself well to shenanigans.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

The Rex helmet is for playing the beta. The Ray helmet is for having played MGS V.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Far as I've heard everything respawns every situation update but not sure. Waiting on Steam launch.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Steam posted:

Will unlock in approximately 23 hours.

(Insert your favorite MGS quote about pain or loss in here.)

Fake edit: Metal Gear Survive has outright vanished out of the Steam store.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
https://twitter.com/Konami/status/966469677076561920

I miss Firefox's SALR.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 22, 2018

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Trip report: Pretty cool, fairly hard. Could have sworn unlocking outfit colors took a bunch of materials but so far it's only been kuban and they unlock one row at a time so that's nice. Drinking tons of dirty water with no problems so far but it will be nice finally getting that pot.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

StabMasterArson posted:

This is harder than I was expecting after the beta, the first teleporter activation is owning me. The way the robots drone on about really basic stuff is kind of sending me to sleep too

The teleporter can take faaaar more punishment than your punk rear end so build defenses but if they break let the zombies swipe at the teleporter. If it gets damaged enough t some point it will probably emit a shockwave that will kill a lot of zombies too so it's nowhere near as hard as it seems.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

So this type of game is appealing to be despite the boring enemy designs. Most of the YT talking heads seems to hate it but regular users seem to think it's pretty good.

Is it an issue with a very bad early game or something?

It's a game that you have to play well and diligently so it's poison to most reviewers and a lot of popular youtubers. Things like food scarcity, for example, wouldn't be a problem if people stamped their maps (so you can keep track of where animals spawn) but I bet a whole lot of players didn't bother.

TescoBag posted:

Can you get walker gear in the single player? I loved them in MGSV

You can but, at least during early game, they are disposable and eventually break down all on their own. They are like a one time and huge boon to whatever mission you might want to do.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 23, 2018

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I made a short video for my youtube channel that summarizes my thoughts on Survive if anyone here feels like watching it. I put a lot of effort into it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcQ4mZ1HSM

I tried to be as objective as I could and keep my opinion out of it till the end because I don't like it when game reviewers equate their poor experience with the game being bad. I really like Survive a lot but it has a number of critical flaws that I think could be fixed without much effort.

Worth mentioning again and forever: If you sate your hunger/thirst to 100%, it'll stop going down for like five minutes at least.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

This game is not endearing itself to me. I'm at the small base north east of your home camp, and I just cannot get a handle on how to infiltrate. There are so many wanderers with so many overlapping patrol routes that the distraction bottles draw hordes from around corners I'm hiding behind, and if I'm spotted and run away the zombies don't shift back to their original area so I now have groups completely blocking the two entrances.

Im at a loss here. Clueless as to why I'm so terrible.

Just run past them.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

I have a guy named Persistent, who won't let me change his name. #Persist

What's up with that guy? He is the guy you recover in the post game mission with the fire wanderers but what is he a reference to? He sounds familiar. Maybe he'll become more important later.

poptart_fairy posted:

Any tips for MP so I'm not a liability?

- The goal of MP is to defend the drill and gather enough Iris energy to get an S rank aka filling the bar in the bottom right of the screen. Anything else is secondary.

- All common special zombies are vulnerable/weakened by backstabs and are particularly important for Bombers and Armored enemies.

- You do NOT keep any resources gathered in MP and are shared so don't sweat it if someone comes and loots something you were looting.

- Whenever the drill is boosted, it makes a loud whirring noise and the energy bar at the bottom right of the screen turns gold/orange. The drill should ALWAYS be boosted, if it's not clear any enemies around it then walk up to it and press A to boost.

- Every player in multi has a warp gadget in their inventory. Placing it down lets every single player warp to it by selecting the location in their idroid, so place yours down somewhere safe. Ideally, you'll have someone placing theirs near the drill and other people placing theirs close to the red zones on the map for easy side missions but if no one puts theirs down, place yours wherever is more convenient for you.

- Zones marked red in the map are "crystalized areas" and spawn Iris crystals every once in a while, at least once per wave. You can go pick them up while doing side missions. For Normal and Easy difficulties you can easily drill enough energy for S rank but in Hard mode you will need to be diligent about collecting this extra energy.

- Whenever you are in the third wave, it's not a bad idea to approach the drill and use the support menu to call in backup. Interceptor spawns static defenses, Ammo resupply spawns a bench that refills all ammo for up to two players and Walker support spawns a pair of walkers (or a big walker) that you can use. All of these are really powerful abilities so use them if you need them.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

lets hang out posted:

Isn't he on the list with the !secret kojima message! the internet has been flipping out about

No that's just this list and people pretending it's some sekrit code sticking it to the MAN http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Wandering_Mother_Base_Soldiers

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Feed big mouth a barrel.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
^ There's a discord in the OP too but I haven't tried it because there's actually like FIVE matchmaking discords and at least one spreadsheet. Fake edit: Oh and two Steam groups too. Guess I might try compiling them all this weekend.

In unrelated things, I can't loving find corn anywhere. Someone give me a clue without outright spoiling the location?

Det_no fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 3, 2018

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

Well, I'm officially stuck on the secure the Sahalenthropus mission. I just flat out can't kill them fast enough, and I run out of stuff to throw at them. There's probably hidden containers somewhere in the first map with things like turrets or portable mortars I was supposed to find, but alas, did not. And I don't think I can go back to base camp until I've finished all of the FOB missions.

The base right next to you should have some actual mortar emplacements. If not, the enemy mortars will more than likely kill most of the incoming zombies except for the leftmost one, that one can actually lob grenades at the drill and gently caress it up. Keep in mind you can kick grenades away too.

If the enemy mortars are somehow harming your efforts for real try placing something like a sandbag foothold atop the rock formation that overlooks the pond, they'll plink away at it constantly.

Fake edit: Oh I also meant to post that I did check all the discord and there's indeed like 5. The biggest one by far though is the reddit discord so if you want to matchmake try that and the goon one.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 4, 2018

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Got linked this video, pretty good at showing off how all the youtube c-elebs lied constantly in their mission to smear the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FngrrIo_c

AngryJoe didn't even play more than a couple hours, he offloaded the "review" to his buddy Del. That is why most of the review is made up of skits, cause Joe doesn't know dick about the game, and the late game clips are voiced by the other guy. As far as it goes in scores and according to AngryJoe, Survive is worse than titles like Iron Man 2, Kane & Lynch 2, Sonic Free Riders and of course Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Funnily enough, people ate that poo poo up when it came to Survive but then Kingdom Come Deliverance got another quick review with a 6/10 score and suddenly AngryJoe is a lazy hack that doesn't know what he is talking about and the score is unfair and the review is garbage etc...

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Sandbags will forever be your friend when dealing with mortars. Their bullets barely damage the things.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

widespread posted:

Meanwhile I found a grenade recipe.

Are grenades good or are molotovs/flame arrows just better.

They are both really good. Grenades are beastly damage but one shot while Molotovs set grass alight and zombies on fire catch other zombies on fire so there's the opportunity to do more area denial kind of stuff.

I for one have been messing with decoys as of late. Still not sure why but sometimes even one of them is outrageously effective at delaying a wave and you can toss them so far away it's absurd. I'll have to experiment some more.

I also found out that balloon traps make bombers explode while they are up in the air so it nullifies them completely. They do have a tiny range and a very slow aiming system so maybe they are best used behind other things., exploding barrels are devastating but kind of expensive thanks to chemicals, claymores I think might be the scout's weapon of choice because they are great behind sandbags or at fence collapse distance; They can kill a grouped up pack of zombies even if you are miles away doing other stuff.

I almost want to write a gadget guide, it's so fun experimenting.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Fairly sure the HF machete was there all along together with the Skull machete. The gold item people were cheating in was some kind of shotel.

In unrelated news, is anyone else freezing at the end of matches? At least I can't move the camera nor can I move my guy. All I can do is wait until the drill does its thing and then go straight to the results screen.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

This game is not Metal Gear, but it actually seems pretty fun.

What was the beta/pre order bonus out of curiosity? I'm playing this via steam share on PC, but I'd played the beta on PS4.

Preorder was one gold type weapon of each type (stats more or less equal to the first ones you get in-game), four ungodly ugly scarves in metallic colors no one would ever use, kabuki face paint, a cardboard box helmet, two emotes and one Old Motherbase nameplate for your profile. Everything was pretty poo poo aside from the nameplate to be honest.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

This has been disappointing so far, I hate the dust its 5 feet of visibility with 3 different bars counting down, the compass is gone, the nav point disappears randomly, everything is the same garbage brown rock so you can't navigate by the little terrain you can see. One time I found a walker in the dust and I was excited, it broke down before I could even walk it to my mission objective.

Stand still a few seconds and you get a compass around your character.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
There's no reason to kill the mortars other than the leftmost one and even that one is questionable.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
New mode is interesting. It's like Co-op capture the flag except the flag can get hosed up and you lose rank so you better stick together. Even on easy difficulty, you get a shitload of enemy spawns trying to bumrush you. Pretty neat that it has a single-player tutorial mission too.

We did get an event as well. Complete missions to earn BP; use BP to win tons of crates, a few SV coins, some revive pills and the big prize of a Diamond Dogs cardboard box helmet to wear on your stupid head.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

swordfish duelist posted:

Picked this up despite my friend telling me I'm an idiot for it. This is a ton of fun. The fox engine is fantastic and this game is just metal gear enough to scratch that itch.

I am starting to run low on food, however. I've bagged several goats, sheep, and dogs in the area. I'm assuming I just have to start pushing into the dust to find more?

Does the dust get pushed back as the story progresses or, as I'm guessing, the oxygen just becomes trivial? Because right now it gets a little tense going into the dust.

Rodents respawn fairly quickly but you'll have to explore the maps a bit to find and mark on your map all the animal spawns. There's plenty of food around, especially plants that are easy to overlook.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Monolith. posted:

MP is quite fun. How do you get the blue circle items like Walker Gear?

Side missions give you the materials to build whatever it says you got, not the item. Walkers you get at the drill, in the tactical support menu.

Edit: Also the eternal reminder for everyone playing MP: Please place down your wormhole device. Everyone can teleport to any warp anywhere on the map by using the idroid so having a couple near the red areas/sideop areas and another one near the drill massively increases everyone's efficiency. You can place it down in rescue too, somewhere kind of close to the drill or near mortar spawns for example.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 14, 2018

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Where do they appear though? I ordered some once, then couldn't find them.

Depends on the map but they are always near the drill. In the mines they spawn on the second floor of the boat overlooking the drill, for example.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Back Hack posted:

Why did they partition the matchmaking into dozen of separate regions instead of just having one central matchmaking system? They all but guaranteed that no one can connect with anyone unless they to do specifically. I'm starting to get serious flashback to multiplayer games in early 90s. :ughh:

E: Seriously, North America, United States (west), and United States (east) are all independent regions of each other instead of North America incorporating both US (w) and US (e).

E1: Especially considering they knew before hand they had burnt every bridge with the gaming community, this gaming was/is going to be nothing but an uphill battle. Makes sense to plan accordingly.

I don't think anyone could have predicted that journalists would outright make up stuff about the game in their reviews. Yesterday I read one that said your base took damage if you weren't there during drill defense and that microtransactions were meant to stop that. Same with reviews that mention lootboxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

redreader posted:

I just unlocked multiplayer salvage missions (?) last night and am dying on the first unlock-the-warp-gate mission (I read the thread. I'll try making molotovs and try it again). Should I try to play as much plot as possible or do some multiplayer? Is there anything near the original base I should know about that is Very Nice e.g. hidden stuff that's useful? Where do I get the cooking upgrade so I can make stews?

Do whatever sounds fun. The trick with early teleporter missions is understanding that teleporters are far, FAR more sturdy than you are so it doesn't matter if zombies bite at them for a while. The pot you get from progressing through the plot so if you want that, you might want to do that first.

• Locked thread