Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The models are great though they're not snapfit.

Lazy buggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Lack of clarity of rules- the box only comes with a learn to play book and most of the rules are contradicted by exceptions throughout the book and the comprehensive rule book wasn't included. Hopefully that's just for review copies.

The full rules reference guide is online now, but maybe it wasn't at the time they printed the demo copies

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I didn't realize so few dice were provided in the starter box. Hopefully all the stores near here don't sell out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

fadam posted:

I didn't realize so few dice were provided in the starter box. Hopefully all the stores near here don't sell out.

You just gotta buy 2 or 3 starter boxes, problem solved

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I was considering doing that just to bulk up on troops, but I read that the starter box doesn't come with all the upgrade cards.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

fadam posted:

Yeah, it's classic FFG. X-Wing core sets don't have enough dice to play the starter game without doing awkward proxy+rerolls.
It has to be done on purpose to encourage you to buy a second core set. I can buy a second set of movement tools and dice for $30 total, or spend another $60 and get a whole second core set with 4 more units of troopers, another AT-RT and another unit of speeder bikes.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is a second core set even going to be enough dice to resolve an attack in one go if you're using the chaingun guy in a Trooper squad?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

fadam posted:

Is a second core set even going to be enough dice to resolve an attack in one go if you're using the chaingun guy in a Trooper squad?

Yeah. You get 3 of each dice, and the Z-6 trooper rolls 6 white. The rest of the squad rolls (up to 5) black dice.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Pretty sure Davy said that it's a conscious decision to only host the rules online, to ensure players are always updated on the latest changes. I would still prefer to have them printed, not having to deal with my laptop when playing (yeah I could get them printed somewhere, but then the image quality is worse yada-yada). Also, having seen a few let's plays on Youtube, my enthusiasm has lessened somewhat. Moving the figures with the movement tools through all the scenery seems very fiddly, and with all the tokens and cards, the playing feel seems kinda messy. Also it seems much less strategic than I initially thought it would be. Combat encounters occur when units have range and line of sight to each other, but that usually means that the opposing player can attack you back. So most combat situations consisted of one group firing on another, which would then fire back. Of course the group attacking first has an advantage as units (and attack dice) can be lost, but it still heavily based on dice luck, and very slightly by what mods you have. I'm still looking forward to trying it, and I might get my enthusiasm back when I do.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The vast majority of games I've seen people play on Youtube didn't play with objectives so it was just two gunlines rolling dice at each other. I'm hoping that objectives and the terrain rules will spice things up a lot and encourage actual movement.

Failing that, I'm certain future releases will do a lot to make the two factions feel different. I don't know much about Star Wars Lore but those bears from Return of the Jedi could easily be written to have ambush or deep strike rules.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 8, 2018

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The full rules are an online PDF. However if you want a printed copy all you have to do is go to the launch weekend event and you can pick up a printed version.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
When is it?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

When is it?

Most shops are holding it the weekend of launch week. I'm currently kissing booty at the shop to get one since I'm at an XWing regional that weekend.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

If you're asking when it launches, it's March 22nd. Some stores are going to have it starting today so they can do demos and Learn to Play events. FFG has a list of stores on their site I think.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My FLGS had little in store demos today. There are definitely some points that I hope will be cleared up by the full rules, but overall I felt the game was :krad:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

FrostyPox posted:

My FLGS had little in store demos today. There are definitely some points that I hope will be cleared up by the full rules, but overall I felt the game was :krad:

Full rules PDF is linked in the OP

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
need me some hoth rebels and tauntaun cav, please notify

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I want the soldier droids from the prequel trilogy so I can field a horde army.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

fadam posted:

I want the soldier droids from the prequel trilogy so I can field a horde army.

This, only those bitchin' hovertanks.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I know people like to pretend the prequel trilogy doesn't exist, but they really are ripe ground for a game like this. They had actual large-scale ground combat happen, and I'd throw down money for an Army of the Republic set.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Jar Jar Binks commander would be sick, especially if the pushed his power level and made him a tournament staple.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If FFG wants this game to bring in cash while also having a thriving player base they're going to have to dip into the ripe PT territory eventually.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My bet's on Clone Wars stuff to happen as part of Wave 2 or Wave 3.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/9/fortify-your-battlefield/

I like that they're selling some basic terrain elements.
The retailers in my local group are giddy about all the SKUs and support FFG is putting out. I think this game is going to do pretty well.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Selling new missions could be cool.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Want to buy that Supplies Expansion just so I can paint up one of those as an EA Loot Crate.

Objective: Collect your Sense of Pride and Accomplishment.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
One of the Aussie distributors is sold out now and the other 1-2 are expecting to be next week. They have said don't expect more to come in for months. It has already sold more core sets than the latest edition of 40k did on release at my flgs.

Friend of mine is a bit povo right now and can't pick up anything. Said he could use my Imps until he can so he said going to paint all of imps for free. Still doing the AT-ST though. I got plans for that beauty.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

Want to buy that Supplies Expansion just so I can paint up one of those as an EA Loot Crate.

Objective: Collect your Sense of Pride and Accomplishment.

Got a 3D printer?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2817649

In addition to being in the Legion Boxset Skirmish at Adepticon, a friend just asked me to join him for the Team Tournament. I'm going to be playing SO MUCH Legion on launch weekend. Plus, the X-Wing Open. I'm just going to start signing my checks over to FFG.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:homebrew:

That is awesome.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Can anyone tell if the core set alone looks like it will provide some replayability or is it more like X-Wing where you really need a couple expansions for the game to be interesting?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It's a tabletop wargame so scenery, missions and victory conditions add hugely to replayability. The starter is 4 units a side (1 commander, both of which are jedi, 2 standard troops and 1 unit of vehicles) but there are plenty of games with less models and units.

Doing it with starship corridors is very different to doing it on a flat plain with no terrain.

The smaller games need more terrain.

Certainly you need more terrain than is present in the starter.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Some thoughts after playing a few demo games at the store.

- Speeder bikes really need a 6x3 map. Even at that size their mandatory move seems a bit too long. In the demo map theyre pretty much fodder for Luke once they commit to a direction.

- White dice suuuuuuck. A full squad of storm troopers with aim token was regularly rolling 0 hits. I laughed pretty hard when I saw that rebels could buy a guy who throws 6 white dice for 3/4 the cost of a regular squad. What a deal!

- I was kinda worried this game would be Guys With Lightsabers Kill Everything: The Game but Vader is pretty slow and goes down decently fast to black dice but Luke is pretty invincible to storm trooper fire. Ironically youre more likely to kill luke by running up to him in melee and beating him to death with your rifle than trying to shoot him. Although if you miss hes pretty much annihilating a squad a turn.

- Not sure I like the way you pick the scenarior/deployment/whatever cards...and the activation cards / random bag thing are kinda goofy but whatever.

- gently caress you 3 dice per box god that poo poo is tiring in every product you release.

- the mini walker dude is pretty fun esp since he can scoot backwards and is more forgiving that speeders.

Screw it..i wasnt planning on it but I think im gonna buy this game.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I've crumbled and bought a starter. I'll get it painted up after I move and see how it plays.

I'm likely to get a second starter for the extra basic units anyway.

From a first glance I think Vader, who clocks in at the same points as an AT-ST, is too slow and expensive and Veers plus 2 extra squads of troops is a better buy. However I'll have to play some games first.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Pre-order location recommendations? Late to the party, core seems out at alot of places but some expansions are available?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
After playing a few games I just ordered another AT-RT. They are little murder machines.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

- White dice suuuuuuck. A full squad of storm troopers with aim token was regularly rolling 0 hits.

I hope this is hyperbole because the chance of 5 white dice doing this once is like 2%. Were you converting offensive surges and rerolling three dice with precise keyword?

Expected roll should be two hits and a crit. Not great, they're as good at shooting as naked green dice from Xwing are at dodging. Blanking out on 5 dice with 3 rerolls is pretty uncommon.

Still, I feel like Storms are essentially ablative armour for the rocket launcher dude.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

Well I've crumbled and bought a starter. I'll get it painted up after I move and see how it plays.

I'm likely to get a second starter for the extra basic units anyway.

From a first glance I think Vader, who clocks in at the same points as an AT-ST, is too slow and expensive and Veers plus 2 extra squads of troops is a better buy. However I'll have to play some games first.

I haven’t actually played yet, but Vader seems to be costed for the opportunity cost of his force upgrades. Saber throw is probably the obvious upgrade, but Force Choke may be the sleeper. It’s a free action that lets you chose the mini to do damage to. Take out that Ion trooper or rocket launcher without having to murder 3-4 other troopers first.

hoiyes posted:

Still, I feel like Storms are essentially ablative armour for the rocket launcher dude.

I can’t wait to try out the stormtrooper sniper. 2 red dice with an offensive surge is going to be pretty deadly.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hoiyes posted:

I hope this is hyperbole because the chance of 5 white dice doing this once is like 2%. Were you converting offensive surges and rerolling three dice with precise keyword?

Expected roll should be two hits and a crit. Not great, they're as good at shooting as naked green dice from Xwing are at dodging. Blanking out on 5 dice with 3 rerolls is pretty uncommon.

It happened enough to when it was time to shoot id just say "Ok time for all blanks" and I'd roll all blanks and depending on if they had cover is prob when id roll a hit or two only for them to be meaningless.
Precise should prob be something like turn a blank to a hit or something I dunno but the empires troops seem like poo poo compared to the rebels

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does Force Push let you push a whole squad or just one model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Legion looks really fun. I'll probably buy it in a year or so when they've fleshed out both sides a bit more so I can paint up cool Star Wars dudes and then eventually have my first game sometime around 2020.