Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

It happened enough to when it was time to shoot id just say "Ok time for all blanks" and I'd roll all blanks and depending on if they had cover is prob when id roll a hit or two only for them to be meaningless.
Precise should prob be something like turn a blank to a hit or something I dunno but the empires troops seem like poo poo compared to the rebels

He must mean with aiming, so 5 dice and 3 rerolls. With just 5 white dice your chance of rolling zero or 1 successes is like 40%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I dunno, I mean that game mechanic seems thematically appropriate for Stormtroopers regardless of what old Ben Kenobi thinks.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just about a week till release. I'm hyped

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Speaking of hype. First organised play kit and event are up. Kits should arrive in April

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/12/recruit-your-legions/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/13/prepare-your-troops/
Playmats! But they're 3x3 for some reason, instead of 6x3. :shrug:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Easier and cost efficient for them to keep them 3'x3' like their other playmats maybe?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

poo poo those mats are ugly as hell. Too much going on, which is also going to look super weird when you layer on actual 3D terrain.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Two 3x3 designed to sit side by side to make 6x3. Is it more profitable to sell two smaller mats, easier to ship, or do they simply expect a high demand to play smaller games?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
While I'll be stealing them for my only RPG games, I think they look terrible for playing on - are you supposed to imaging those raised areas are terrain or something?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Yeah those mats look hella dumb.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I haven't actually delved into the rules that much yet, but am I right in thinking that the base rules assume you are using 2d terrain, and that there are additional rules for using 3d terrain? If so, maybe these 3x3 mats are intended for smaller cut down games?

Is it an attempt to coax boardgamers into tabletop gaming by making it less of a leap? Am I giving FFG entirely too much credit?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I think 3D terrain is the default. The starter comes with a bunch of 3D barricades and they’ve started announcing that they’re selling terrain and objective packs.

head58 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 14, 2018

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

15 years after quitting 40k my buddies are all buying into this game and now I'm going to a release event next weekend. Hope game is good...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The Star Wars repaint group on Facebook for X-Wing, Armada, Legion, and IA is just bursting today of people complaining how crappy the models are.
Peep those arm joints

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I forget sometimes that FFG players aren't actually hobbyists and are more used to doing things like complain on the internet than using things like greenstuff.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
That does actually look pretty poo poo though.

Asmodee is on the same scale at GW and they're trying to compete with 40K, presumably, so seems fair to expect a comparable quality product. And that doesn't look like it.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I thought the models looked like poo poo the moment I saw them. Lukes head looks especially weird. Smudgy details and way over-dimensioned for his body. IA figures look much better. Not a dealbreaker to me if the game is fun, but still very disappointing considering how FFG is marketing it as a premiere minature product.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I played got to open my flgs's demo box and there were none of those problems when I was assembling the minis. That Luke sure looks like an early model maybe a prototype since they box one is not green and looks better than that.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I will probably pick up the snowtrooper box and see how I like the minis before buying in. I've read through the rules and it seems like a decent system.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
For me it's pretty much taken Armada's place as the "thing to buy into after a few waves and buy out the collection of someone who is getting out for cheap".

I think a lot of 40k players will buy in big as they're used to then realise that it lacks the depth of choice and modelling opportunities, then get out within a couple of waves. At the end of the day I think a lot of of people will burn out on the sameyness, as games go for longer than Xwing, and are far less decisive.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What the Hell, I'm here for yet another minis game.

I'm going in with a friend at first each getting a starter and swapping to shore up my Empire and his Rebels. Gonna get some terrain and the boxes at Adepticon, and I already ordered some loose micro-machines action fleet starfighters off ebay for landing pad/hangar terrain. Gonna set up a couple A-Wings in a little jungle outpost with camo netting over them and it will look sweet as gently caress for my space facists to attack.

:homebrew:

I went for the Empire since that seems like a speed-painting wet dream.

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Just saw this unboxed today at my local game shop. Looks sweet, I remember thinking it looked fun when it was announced.

I didn't know if I'd be getting it until I saw that the core starter was only 90 bucks. That seems real good for what all is in there.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
A lot of people in Australia who ordered from online retailers got their stuff today.

Wish my flgs would break street date because of it :(

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Like ozgameshop?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

Like ozgameshop?

The only one I am 100% sure of is Mighty Ape.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
My flgs right now. Not seen the other 12 cases

This is at a shop in a country town with a population of less than 30k

Edit: Also all preorders, that have sold too.

Raged fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 20, 2018

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Ok, so it might be popular.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I was on the fence but I played a demo last week and it was more fun/less fiddly than I feared so a buddy and I jumped on pre-ordering. Our local store (central Massachusetts) ordered 20 starters so as to get the demo set a couple of weeks early. Currently only 5 are spoken for. The temptation to grab a few more and flip them when FFG’s supply chain falls on its face in a month or so is strong.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Talked to the local store owner this morning and now he's doing a midnight release of Legion so schmucks like me can buy from him instead of the soulless corporate suits at the FFG Booth at Adepticon, so I guess at like 1 am on Thursday morning I'm gonna be putting some rebel troopers and chicken walkers together.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Devlan Mud posted:

Talked to the local store owner this morning and now he's doing a midnight release of Legion so schmucks like me can buy from him instead of the soulless corporate suits at the FFG Booth at Adepticon, so I guess at like 1 am on Thursday morning I'm gonna be putting some rebel troopers and chicken walkers together.

Nab me a Stompy Boi too why not? If you can. I didn't know that was an option when you messaged.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm heading to Adepticon Wed. night to pick up my Legion bundle, then going back home. Only a 1.5 hour drive each way, so not terrible. Then I get to do the same thing and blu-tac some d00ds together to use on Thursday.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What are everyone's terrain table plans? When I was a tiny kid I used to make sort of dioramas with my Star Wars guys I called "set-ups" and made my parents come examine and praise, so the cool modular terrain possibilities are a big draw.

I am probably going to see if I can get some of Imperial Terrain's pieces at Adepticon. https://imperialterrain.com/

I have a few loose Action Fleet ships that are roughly to scale that I've used for the TTRPG before for landing bays/pads/hanger setups.

A few of these look like they'd make great starship interior/base interior/urban scatter:
https://tinyurl.com/ybszj272

Apparently Revelle makes a 1:53 scale AT-AT.

I'd love to find a shuttle at an appropriate-ish scale (I'd even take 1:48).

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
i'm seriousliy dying to get into this, lots of people seem to have gotten their preorders but i opted to pick up in store like a sucker

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

What are everyone's terrain table plans?

Those links are great, thanks.

I’m planning on making an industrial-type board that can be used as a warehouse/factory or as a landing platform. I grabbed some plastic electrical boxes from Home Depot that look a lot like sci fi crates or small buildings, and some bathroom vent covers that look like the landing pads. Putting down rectangles of plasticard painted varying shades of grey in standard Imperial surface texture.

I also have plans for a special scenario board that is the docking between a Star Destroyer and a Rebel blockade runner, with the junction in the middle and lots of walls like a zone mortalis thing. Haven’t worked all the details out yet but it will be troops only, no vehicles, and have the data tapes in the middle that have to be returned to one of the end zones.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’m going to pick up a desert play mat at Adepticon, then use Imperial Terrain parts I’ve printed out.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Gonna get a white yoga mat and call it Hoth

e: or crait

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I bought a whole bunch of crates off Etsy and I figure I'll be able to combine them into basically any kind of terrain I need. There's no rules for forests or swamps or anything, right?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Not specifically. Just generic rules for elevation and line of sight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

head58 posted:

Those links are great, thanks.

I’m planning on making an industrial-type board that can be used as a warehouse/factory or as a landing platform. I grabbed some plastic electrical boxes from Home Depot that look a lot like sci fi crates or small buildings, and some bathroom vent covers that look like the landing pads. Putting down rectangles of plasticard painted varying shades of grey in standard Imperial surface texture.

I also have plans for a special scenario board that is the docking between a Star Destroyer and a Rebel blockade runner, with the junction in the middle and lots of walls like a zone mortalis thing. Haven’t worked all the details out yet but it will be troops only, no vehicles, and have the data tapes in the middle that have to be returned to one of the end zones.

Nice! One thing I'm thinking might work for floor grating for these sorts of setup is painted plastic canvas. Scale might be a little off IDK I haven't looked at a piece in years since my first wife messed around with it.

Devlan Mud posted:

Gonna get a white yoga mat and call it Hoth

e: or crait

One of these days Resistance Trooper Joe is going to find the real reason he keeps taste testing the ground wherever they go: The fabled Cocaine Planet.

I'm actually starting to wonder if this game will push me to the point where buying a 3D Printer and .stl's is more cost effective than buying actual pieces.

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Funzo posted:

Not specifically. Just generic rules for elevation and line of sight.

Okay, so it might be boring but I'll be able to make a playable board just using cubes.