Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got some separatist robots in a mystery box and jesus christ are these things the spindliest motherfuckers I've ever encountered in the hobby

If it’s any consolation, they paint absurdly easy.

I put together 4 squads of them and 2 sets of droidekas, clearly I hate myself :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If I ever do a sep army it's going to be 100% 3d printed. Removing a few supports seems a lot easier than putting together those B1 kits.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Owlbear Camus posted:

If I ever do a sep army it's going to be 100% 3d printed. Removing a few supports seems a lot easier than putting together those B1 kits.

They aren't as bad as you might think, aside from the bloody heads. Leaving one half on sprue and gluing the other half to it makes things much easier!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I literally just tried to put together a B1 squad today and gave up halfway through. Luckily there are a ton of 3d printed options out there that I already have from various Patreons. I have the unit cards now, I don't need to mess with this bullshit

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Clip all of the parts for model A only, attach legs to body. They are keyed so only go on one way.

Attach to base. This will help to get the arms lined up.

Attach backpack.

Apply glue to shoulder ball joints and where the hands meet on the gun. Put the hands/gun joint together and before the glue sets pop arms on to shoulders. Pose to preference.

Remove half of head from sprue, attach to the half still on sprue. Remove assembled head from sprue, glue to neck.

I assembly lined my squads by doing all model A together then all B's etc. You might have a pile of limbs but all the left legs are the same!

I would also do all the heads at once as they are all the same.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

AMG continues to confuse by surprise dropping a playtest for a Legion Kill Team equivalent, unrelated to Shatterpoint and existing skirmish stuff. Presumably this would functionally, and most likely officially, wind up replacing skirmish outright.

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/star-wars-legion-special-operations-beta

Seems like the main differences are more simplistic cover, terrain, and suppression rules alongside tweaks to make gameplay work per model as opposed to per unit. Overall kind of a pleasant surprise. I'd like to try and get this playtest on the table.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I can't see a print and play mode replacing Skirmish. I know there's a significant number of locals who prefer Skirmish and we tend to have 2:1 ratio of skirmish events to 800.
Seems really bland and forced on paper to be honest.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That is generally surprising given how it seems to cover the same general scale as Shatterpoint.

I think "skirmish" variant rules for a game where there are only like a couple dozen models on the table in units of no more than 6 in the default game already feels mildly redundant.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I doubt it'll replace skirmish just because the rules and scale are so different. It feels like an attempt to make a Kill Team knockoff, except the crucial difference there is people play Kill Team to use 40k models without having to spend $1000 to play a garbage ruleset, while I think Legion is more approachable and a whole lot better

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I doubt it'll replace skirmish just because the rules and scale are so different. It feels like an attempt to make a Kill Team knockoff, except the crucial difference there is people play Kill Team to use 40k models without having to spend $1000 to play a garbage ruleset, while I think Legion is more approachable and a whole lot better
Exactly, Kill Team is the answer to a common question 'I love the lore and the modelling but I hate the 40k rules'. SpecOps is an answer to a question that I've never heard voiced, and even if it were common, surely Shatterpoint would be the answer?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The fact this new play mode uses inches and poo poo to determine range when the game already has rulers to judge range is a big ‘lol’ wrapped in a ‘that’s dumb’ to me.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
to be fair, I'm kind of tired of having multiple proprietary measuring devices for every game when a ruler/measuring tape will do. It made sense for X-Wing but I feel like it's gotten silly lately.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Each ranger band in Legion in 6”, so I’ve been using the Legion tool for Battletech lately and it works pretty well so far :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

enigmahfc posted:

The fact this new play mode uses inches and poo poo to determine range when the game already has rulers to judge range is a big ‘lol’ wrapped in a ‘that’s dumb’ to me.
It's interesting that when I looked at the Legion rules after the new edition of Kill Team came out I was immediately struck by how Kill Team seemed to be drawing inspiration from Legion with their movement tool.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

smug jeebus posted:

to be fair, I'm kind of tired of having multiple proprietary measuring devices for every game when a ruler/measuring tape will do. It made sense for X-Wing but I feel like it's gotten silly lately.

I don't even use tape measures to measure things, let alone for my plastic toys. But i am also not balls deep in minis gaming or hobby gaming or anything like that. I like Legion and X-Wing, and I haven't played X-Wing in over a year.

Some of the 'changes' AMG appears to be taking Legion have me concerned. They seem to be leaning into the whole 'limited' or 'preset' battle lists of encouraging the use of certain characters with others, even in the same faction. I like making weird, janky stuff, so these Battle forces idea don't really appeal to me. I know that's just me, and most people like them because 'lore' , but it's a real bummer to me.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

enigmahfc posted:

I don't even use tape measures to measure things, let alone for my plastic toys. But i am also not balls deep in minis gaming or hobby gaming or anything like that. I like Legion and X-Wing, and I haven't played X-Wing in over a year.

Some of the 'changes' AMG appears to be taking Legion have me concerned. They seem to be leaning into the whole 'limited' or 'preset' battle lists of encouraging the use of certain characters with others, even in the same faction. I like making weird, janky stuff, so these Battle forces idea don't really appeal to me. I know that's just me, and most people like them because 'lore' , but it's a real bummer to me.

I think a lot of this stuff is doing two things.

1) It is arguably more narrative and thematic to structure battleforces around specific characters rather than relying on a fixed catch all army structure.

2) PDF releases can be knocked out in an office and released whenever, while new miniatures releases are at the mercy of supply chains and lead times. It is pretty clear that there aren't going to be a huge amount of new minis in the first half of this year so putting out new game modes and battleforce rules gives the community something to engage with until Ewok's turn up.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
i understand they are more thematic and narrative and all that, and i know a lot of people like that, but the only 'thematic' i care about is putting together lists that are fun and work well. Like i said, i know i am in the minority and not who this is aimed at, it's just not filling me with joy or anything.

The new skirmish/play mode looks fun as a diversion from the main game, and i would play it sometimes, but i honestly don't get to play the main game enough to want more diversions.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Asajj Ventress preview is up.

Four command cards and one is for a Dooku synergy. Looks interesting!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ugleb posted:

Asajj Ventress preview is up.

Four command cards and one is for a Dooku synergy. Looks interesting!

God she’s going to be a monster :stare: 8 black dice, pierce 2/impact 2, and spend dodges to improve attack results? Gonna preorder her, and not even feel bad about it.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Kinda meh on the pose but other than that looks like a fun purchase.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Icon Of Sin posted:

God she’s going to be a monster :stare: 8 black dice, pierce 2/impact 2, and spend dodges to improve attack results? Gonna preorder her, and not even feel bad about it.

Don't forget her divulge card either, she's going to be a drat good duelist too. Makashi Mastery and Outmanuver on top of everything she already has?

Also courage 2 ain't bad with indomitable

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 8, 2023

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I'm wondering how much of her utility is going to be tied to which command cards are played and their order.

Her take suppression to gain Dodge trick kind of has to be followed by the free rest card otherwise she will probably be suppressed or panic easily.

Likewise the new Dooku card takes a lot of guesswork out of when you will activate your heavy hitters.

It all looks powerful, but maybe makes you more predictable?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Imperial Remnant Battleforce's "SF are Core, but you can't double up until you've taken one of each" is a clever way to theme.

You get the best of the best who survived after Jaaku and are committed enough to serve a dying empire without an emperor, but in such short supply you can't just spam one type.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ugleb posted:

I think a lot of this stuff is doing two things.

1) It is arguably more narrative and thematic to structure battleforces around specific characters rather than relying on a fixed catch all army structure.

2) PDF releases can be knocked out in an office and released whenever, while new miniatures releases are at the mercy of supply chains and lead times. It is pretty clear that there aren't going to be a huge amount of new minis in the first half of this year so putting out new game modes and battleforce rules gives the community something to engage with until Ewok's turn up.

Is there an update on when Ewoks might come out?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I might be imagining it, but I remember hearing that they were always a planned release for the 40th anniversary of Return of the Jedi, so May 23?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m looking forward to Commander Cody. He and my generic officer are going to cause all kinds of havoc as Cody gives an order to my tank and the generic gives an order to the Phase 2 Z6 squad that will fire-support said tank when the time comes :getin:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there an update on when Ewoks might come out?

ngl, would totally play Gungans.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Cessna posted:

ngl, would totally play Gungans.

Same. Could actually have several different units and not just basic slingers.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gungans with shields and spears:

Gungans on Kaadu:

Catapults:

Falumpasets:

Fambaa:

Hell, I would print/buy this army now if I knew how to "counts as" it.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

An army based around shielding would be pretty rad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’d play a Gungan army too. I loved them as a kid. I just hope that when Ewoks are released, we get Chewie on ATST and Paploo on bike too so we can have the whole Endor gang.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I decided to get stupid and put 41 clones on the table.

Rex, 4 full squads of phase 2’s (3x mortars, 1x Z6), 2 full squads of phase 1’s (DC-15), and 2 ARC trooper strike teams. Fire supported Kenobi straight off the table, had a squad sneak through to the enemy deployment zone (objective: breakthrough) before getting blown out by enemy ARCs with Phase 1 fire support. Forced it to kill points, and lost on that count.

Next iteration is going to have slightly more clones (43), but generate far more surge tokens. I’ll get at minimum 7 by default (5 from 4 phase 2 squads, one of which has a clone commander in it), and minimum 2 from aggressive tactics via Direct and a single order token from a card.

The command card Attack of the Clones farms out 3 more, and if I have Seize the Initiative on my commander/use it that turn there’s 4 (via aggressive tactics), plus if I Bolster anyone with the commander, there’s another 2 sets of 2 lurking out there…so the range is 7-16 surge tokens :laffo:

i don’t roll enough surges for any of these to matter :cry:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I’d play a Gungan army too. I loved them as a kid. I just hope that when Ewoks are released, we get Chewie on ATST and Paploo on bike too so we can have the whole Endor gang.

I can't believe all of these things aren't in Legion yet. What are they waiting for? Do they not like money?

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Seems like they heard your cry. Ewoks (with 3PO as a commander, which seems hilarious) and Chewie ATST in the near horizon.

I'm hoping 3PO and the Chewie ATST will be released as cards in a pack so that existing miniatures can be used (this may have already been officially stated, I'm kind of poo poo at following along).

e: typo

The Strangest Finch fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 4, 2023

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

The Strangest Finch posted:

Seems like they heard your cry. Ewoks (with 3PO as a commander, which seems hilarious) and Chewie ATST in the near horizon.

I'm if 3PO and the Chewie ATST will be released as cards in a pack so that existing miniatures can be used (this may have already been officially stated, I'm kind of poo poo at following along).

Lot of good stuff coming down the pipe, and Rebels need it too goddamn.

Pretty excited for Ashoka, the Bad Batch, and the Ewok battleforce

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Strangest Finch posted:

I'm if 3PO and the Chewie ATST will be released as cards in a pack so that existing miniatures can be used (this may have already been officially stated, I'm kind of poo poo at following along).

Yooooo got any links?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Legion starts at 29 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsv4LOvuZkg&t=1741s

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m excited for Bad Batch and Ahsoka. I know she’s the Rebel version for now, but having a second force user there rather than a 4th force user for GAR feels like a decent move.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I kinda wish they'd gotten Kanan, Ezra, or Cal first tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Come on ewok catapults and hangliders