Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Given the points cost of an At St, I'm assuming the chances of the standard game point value going up to at least 1000, once there's more releases, are pretty high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The BoLS stream said the comprehensive rules reference would be released this Friday.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Just realised this game will almost certainly have ewok gliders.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

They also have the ability to add specialized organizational units. Say a unit of shock stormtroopers that have the ability to rush faster but have weaker armor, or a rebellion mechanized force with better vehicle support. With the AT-RT they're showing that they aren't married to the movie canon.

I'm looking forward to dewback troopers and rebel sniper units.

Tauntaun outriders :allears:

I don't think any special forces units have been revealed at all? They've all been Commander, Troop, Support and Heavy.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The most important ffg launch item is always more dice

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
When is it?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

- White dice suuuuuuck. A full squad of storm troopers with aim token was regularly rolling 0 hits.

I hope this is hyperbole because the chance of 5 white dice doing this once is like 2%. Were you converting offensive surges and rerolling three dice with precise keyword?

Expected roll should be two hits and a crit. Not great, they're as good at shooting as naked green dice from Xwing are at dodging. Blanking out on 5 dice with 3 rerolls is pretty uncommon.

Still, I feel like Storms are essentially ablative armour for the rocket launcher dude.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
For me it's pretty much taken Armada's place as the "thing to buy into after a few waves and buy out the collection of someone who is getting out for cheap".

I think a lot of 40k players will buy in big as they're used to then realise that it lacks the depth of choice and modelling opportunities, then get out within a couple of waves. At the end of the day I think a lot of of people will burn out on the sameyness, as games go for longer than Xwing, and are far less decisive.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Like ozgameshop?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Han looks bad, but his Biggs-like order card seems powerful.

Cool that the Rebel Commandos box has two units in it.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
800 points just seems like too few to really make the orders system shine.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Apparently droids are next year as well as scum.
New core set confirmed!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I hope the battle droids can be allied to dark side simply, because I love their basic solider and the destroyer droid aesthetic, but everything else is hot garbage

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The thing I notice about Legion is the differenciation is really quite granular and ultimately low. I don't think we'll really see a huge amount of forced factional Identity as it were, I don't think the ruleset really accommodates off-the-wall kinda stuff. Most of an army's identity will come from building around a leader's strengths and I don't doubt that as time goes on, both factions will more or less be able to build armies to suit any particular taste. As opposed to Xwing where each faction typically has an aspect of the game that is particular to them, or that they excel at.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
From some initial skirmishes, I think you can realistically have Vader or an ATST, if you have both you'll lack the manpower to push. Speeder bikes are the poo poo.

The Rebel ship troopers are really going to shake up the cover game as ignoring cover out to Range 2 with their whole attack pool seems pretty good. And the snowtroopers will be good at holding objectives with their flamethrower, move twice and roast any squad that gets close.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 7, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

Still, gently caress stormtrooper armor

4+ save isn't even good tho, look how fast Luke dies :ghost:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Deviant posted:

Also: If I have a group of storm troopers firing together, and one of them opts to use concussion grenades (Range 1 Black 1 Blast), does the entire attack pool ignore cover? I can't see anything where the keywords only modify their specific dice?

Keywords affect the whole dice pool. So that stormtrooper missile launcher's Impact 3 can flip the stormtrooper rifle white dice to crits if the blacks are blanks or crits already.

And yes blast gets added to the whole attack pool, but in your example, the whole squad should be using the grenades, (except any heavy weapon) as they are black dice.

This makes the new rebel troopers very interesting as they have a grenade launcher that has blast so at range 2 you can ignore cover for the 10 white dice coming in from the other members of the squad.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

fadam posted:

-There's not enough stuff to spend points on, so scopes are fine. I think scopes on all your guys is better than adding a weapon to a squad. When Leia comes out, I'll probably squeeze a Z6 or two in where I can.
The huge upside of special weapons if that it can target a different squad with its dice pool, which enables you to churn out twice as many suppression tokens as squads without.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I like the idea of Veers and 3 squads of the blaster rifle storms holding a central position, and then Vader and 2 squads of snowtroopers with flame and impact grenades slowly rolling up a flank, with speeder bikes jamming and being annoying.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Orvin posted:

You are right, I mixed some things up in my head. It’s that you can’t use all 4 guns on the same target at once, as the concussion grenade launcher maxes at 2.

But still, the mortar with some white dice is not likely to add much damage. Better to shoot with the light cannon for more damage. Unless your opponent deployed poorly, the extra suppression from the mortar is not going to do much good. They need to be pretty far away from their leader before it is an issue.

The ability to push that lone trooper squad on the extreme flank off an objective, or out of heavy cover, from the other side of the board is pretty good, and just the threat of it will make the enemy think twice before committing Luke/Vader to a fight. You'll also control their deployment or threaten a turn 1 squad wipe with very little investment.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

StuG Jeebus posted:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post, but Vader doesn't doesn't get suppression tokens. The mortar is still great against Luke though.

Yeah, what I mean is your opponent sending Vader to a scrum on one flank and leaving troops outside his command range.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
A force user could just force push the flaming liquid back. I don't think deflection has to necessarily mean using the lightsaber, just that you're prepared to respond to an attack. I mean, Vader just absorbs blaster shots with his hand in Empire.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

So these 2 man scout squads are the flotillas of Legion? bring like 5 of them and drown your opponent in activation spam?
Except going later isn't as strong in Legion due to suppression. A bunch of low impact activations is going to drag your turn down.

Edit: I guess there are some situations where you want to go last, like double activating Vader as the very last move of the turn then activating master of evil next turn or something.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 12, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Fetterkey posted:

Boba Fett has an awesome sculpt and his rules look very strong as well. The Scout Troopers, while also having really cool sculpts, seem like worse versions of the Rebel Commandos to me - no attack surge, Scout 1 instead of Scout 2, and a short-ranged gun - but I suppose we'll have to wait and see more on the two units' upgrades.

One thing that's interesting about Range 2 weapons is that there's a bigger incentive to go early and use the Ready action, to let the enemies come to you. A full squad is putting out 10 black dice, averaging a decent amount of hits and a couple of crits, not an attack you want to take in the open.

Edit: Boba fett looks like such a drat flexible and unpredictable piece, it'll be a nightmare to see across the table. He's probably an auto include with Veers for me, taking Vader out if the picture. I'm actually surprised his Courage is so high, isn't Han's only 2?

Also, his half hidden gear doesn't seem to hard to figure out. Looks like when you would suffer wounds, you can instead put up to two of them on the card. Then at the end of your next activation you suffer the wounds. You'll be able to stave off death an extra turn and kamikaze something. Seems like an autoinclude on just about any model.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 12, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I think the best answer will be suppressive weapons, which rebels kinda lack at the moment.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Rules question: can an ATST use arsenal to stomp a unit in melee and also shoot its cannons at another target?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Orvin posted:

Nope. For ranged attacks, both the attacker and defender must not be in melee. Also, you form all dice pools before resolving any of them, so no killing off the troopers in melee range, then shooting at something.

Ah ok, that makes sense. The ATST is in melee but not engaged. So it could do a small move, displacing at least one trooper (for suppression) then unload? I guess that raises the question, can an vehicle move into a squad to supress them via displacement, without starting a melee?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The half-hidden card on the Rebel gun looks like you can tap it and it gains suppressive, that'll be a good trick out to range 4. Deployment will be everything, and at least they made sure that the Rebel one can withstand a Scout biker volley. The low visibility condition will suck if you take the Rebel one.

Even if you have cumbersome, you can move and ready, right?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Veers' command card Imperial discipline seems like a good match for the teams. Definitely thinking adding Suppressive is the better effect, especially with trooper spam being the key strat at the moment.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Orvin posted:

Nope. For ranged attacks, both the attacker and defender must not be in melee. Also, you form all dice pools before resolving any of them, so no killing off the troopers in melee range, then shooting at something.

Just getting back to this, today FFG posted an official ruling thread, and this is answered that you can in fact stomp and shoot.

I think their rules writing left it unclear (:ffg:) as "During a ranged attack, the attacker and defender are not in a melee..." is meant to mean "not in a melee with each other".

Edit for link:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/277344-star-wars-legion-official-rulings/

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The paintjob is certainly technically better than the original one shown with the announcement articles, it's just that he went from looking like he got stung by a bunch of bees to Frankenstein's monster. Change of Plans looks annoying as gently caress since it often feels like big-deal command cards like Master of Evil are pretty predictable.

Change of Plans is a poorly worded card that looks like you can just keep playing out on a key turn until your opponent is forced to play Standing Orders.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Strobe posted:

"You may discard this card to"

Gotta lose it if you want the effect.

My bad. Xwing has left me jaded.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Genuinely surprised to see Palpatine! He must come with a Vader-level price tag on him.

Royal Guard as a melee unit makes sense. If we dont see Chewie as an operative and a unit of Wookies soon then I dunno what FFG are smoking.

210 points base... He looks better than Vader. Anger + 1 pip command card seems real good. Getting him into position will be the hard part. Makes you wonder if there'll ever be troop transports.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Well, I can't see a miniatures war game having much legs without a variety of factions. Someone commented earlier that they were surprised Sheev was already being released, but I think they're racing through to be able to announce new factions by the end of the quarter.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Counterpoint: get those droids out of my stormtroopers

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
HQ: Dooku, Geonosian King, Japanese Fish Bloke
Operative: Maul
Elite: super battle droid, droid "not-Royal Guard"
Corp: battle droids, Geonosians
Support: ball droids, Segway droids
Heavy: Tank, droid fighter in walk mode

It's all there

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Fetterkey posted:

Rebel Commando preview up. Those sniper teams are looking pretty cool, though I'm not sure how practical the saboteurs will be - I really like the concept of setting a bunch of bombs to stop the enemy advance, but I'm not sure if the action economy is there for it.

They only cost an action to arm, not to detonate. You can easily make a suicide run, move, arm and detonate.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

His toys are cool and whatever, but his mobility and durability are unprecedented. I can't see myself leaving home without him.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

head58 posted:

Let’s use the new rules update to springboard this thread back into life! Does this fix Key Positions? Does standby break AT-STs? And how glad are you that we can clamber over fences now?

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/b6/29/b6291ce4-2ff2-4133-9ea1-b225c19be897/swl_rules_reference_120_eng.pdf

The new medbot being able to heal wounds from Luke seems like a pretty good bit of gear from the next wave. Less so for the repair bot and ATST, as the optimal strategy is usually ignore the ATST. Looks like you can still force push off the table edge lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Now I want to drop fugly halftrack imperials and collect Rebels :h:

Just kidding I'll buy a speeder anyway, not like I'll ever play a game