Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Hello folks, I have a small tourney coming up this Saturday (my first for Legion) and I'm looking for a little feedback regarding a couple lists.

I played a smaller version (500 points) of the first list a few days ago, and I think it has potential. Jyn and Cassian did great work scalpling out my opponents Operatives/Commanders, and with K2 in there you can pull some token shenanigans with "Trust Goes Both Ways." I'm not completely sold on the pathfinders yet, but if I can manage to not get them killed when an imperial coughs in their general direction, I think they might do some good work. If the commando sniper teams weren't on back order I'd probably sub in a couple of those, but eh.

pre:
799/800
9 Activations

Cassian Andor 90 + 18 = 108
--Duck and Cover (2), Offensive Push (4), Recon Intel (2), A280-CFE (10)
Jyn Erso 90 + 7 = 97
--Vigilance (5), Recon Intel (2), A-180 (0)
K-2SO 70 + 5 = 75
--Jyn's SE-14 Blaster (5)
Sabine Wren 125 + 27 = 152
--Situational Awareness (2), Electro Grappling Line (5), Personal Combat Shield (5), The Darksaber (15)
Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper 38

Rebel Veterans 48 + 35 = 83
--CM-0/93 Trooper (26), Rebel Veteran (9)
Rebel Troopers 40

Rebel Pathfinders 56 + 30 = 86
--Bistan (28), Recon Intel (2), A-300 (0)
Mandalorian Resistance 34 + 86 = 120
--Tristan Wren (38), Ursa Wren (38), Situational Awareness (2), Jetpack Rockets (8)

Explosions!•, Rebellious•, Trust Goes Both Ways••, Last Stand••, Volunteer Mission•••, Legacy of Mandalore•••, Standing Orders••••

This one is pretty simple, fast aggro melee. I'm torn on which command cards to take, mostly because Luke has really good cards.

pre:
798/800
9 Activations

Rebel Officer 45 + 11 = 56
--Vigilance (5), Portable Scanner (6)
R2-D2 55

Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight) 195 + 24 = 219
--Saber Throw (5), Force Push (10), Force Reflexes (5), Tenacity (4)
Rebel Troopers 40 + 20 = 60
--Z-6 Trooper (20)
Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper 38 + 5 = 43
--Linked Targeting Array (5)
Rebel Veterans 48 + 26 = 74
--CM-0/93 Trooper (26)
Rebel Troopers 40

Wookiee Warriors 69 + 39 = 108
--Bowcaster Wookiee (31), Tenacity (4), Offensive Push (4)
A-A5 Speeder Truck 75 + 68 = 143
--Refurbished "Gonk" Droid (14), Unorthodox Tactician (16), Shriv Suurgav (10), AG-2G Quad Laser (28)

Son of Skywalker•, Ambush•, Full of Surprises••, My Ally Is the Force••, I am a Jedi•••, Return of the Jedi•••, Standing Orders••••

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I could sacrifice my heavy weapons or strip down the bus to fit in one activation, but I'm still waiting on Sniper Teams to actually get made/shipped to Canada. :argh: I dunno if losing them is worth 1 extra naked trooper squad (just about the only extra cheap activations that I do own currently.)

I totally did not consider YSYMW on allies tho, dang. If I drop Saber Throw for Burst of Speed (I really like reflexes), that frees up enough points for an onboard comms channel on the Bus. I think I had ambush in there because I was worried about drawing the Wookie token before the Bus had gotten a chance to move up-field, and this would solve that and give me 2 melee activations in one turn with the Wookies.

I think, still quite new to this game

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

radlum posted:

The local Legion community is made up of part of the X-Wing community who dropped the game after 2nd Edition (another part turned to Kill Team, and a small group tried to keep playing X-Wing). I hope AMG realizes how much they lost by making 2nd Edition and don't try it with Legion.

Had my first games last weekend; I really liked the game (though we only played skirmish). I played with this rather basic list:

500/500
6 Activations

Luke Skywalker (Hero of the Rebellion) 160 + 10 = 170
--Force Push (10)

Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper 38
Rebel Troopers 40
Rebel Veterans 48 + 26 = 74
--CM-0/93 Trooper (26)

Mandalorian Resistance 72 + 36 = 108
--Beskad Duelist (28), Jetpack Rockets (8)

AT-RT 55 + 15 = 70
--AT-RT Flamethrower (15)

Son of Skywalker•, Ambush•, My Ally Is the Force••, Push••, Return of the Jedi•••, Standing Orders••••

Is there room for improvement?

In my limited experience, Clan Wren is the better way to run Rebel Mandos. 2 wounds per model makes them a bit less swingy, and they've got better guns and are even slighty better in CC as well. It's only 18 more points too, (20 if you slap situational awareness on there).

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

The "points update" dropped today for those who might be unaware, and unless you're GAR it varies from "eh" to "gently caress this."

As a Rebel player, it feels real good seeing all my lists go up by 18-22 points because they hosed up with Pykes.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I never ran the Trooper+Captain spam myself, but yeah the Burst of Speed seems especially egregious. 10 points for a 1/ever movement buff? Get the gently caress outta here with that.

This update feels like I got smoked with a lot of collateral damage tbh.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Let me wipe all my tears over pyke spam getting worse

I think you misunderstood my point, I don't play Pykes (nor do I play dodge spam Troopers with SA for that matter), but it feels kinda bad seeing a lot of the upgrades that I did take (mostly keep to my operatives/commanders/mandos alive tbh) get more expensive because they made another part of the game too strong or what have you.

Kinda like how with certain online games and something getting nerfed because it was too strong in PvP, and that echoes back to the PvE players, if that makes any sense.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I considered buying the Separatist box for that very reason tbh

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Looking good, those stormtroopers are looking crisp.

A so-called "friend" sold me a shadow collective starter that he got for half off, so now I have those too in addition to my Rebels. I was almost done painting my minis!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Go to tabletop Admiral and just print off the cards

I had to buy a French Luke and French Sabine so I ended up doing that regardless

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

My biggest problem with the new rules is simply that Vader quad bikes Blizzard Force hasn't been touched at all

They sure took down those Vigilant Rebels down a peg or two though, so problem solved!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

God she’s going to be a monster :stare: 8 black dice, pierce 2/impact 2, and spend dodges to improve attack results? Gonna preorder her, and not even feel bad about it.

Don't forget her divulge card either, she's going to be a drat good duelist too. Makashi Mastery and Outmanuver on top of everything she already has?

Also courage 2 ain't bad with indomitable

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 8, 2023

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

The Strangest Finch posted:

Seems like they heard your cry. Ewoks (with 3PO as a commander, which seems hilarious) and Chewie ATST in the near horizon.

I'm if 3PO and the Chewie ATST will be released as cards in a pack so that existing miniatures can be used (this may have already been officially stated, I'm kind of poo poo at following along).

Lot of good stuff coming down the pipe, and Rebels need it too goddamn.

Pretty excited for Ashoka, the Bad Batch, and the Ewok battleforce

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Ashoka's cards are out for anyone who happened to miss it.

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/star-wars-legion-transmissions

She's lookin' pretty good, that 1 pip means Ashoka's goona be rocking at least 3 dodges and 2 aims (assuming to staple offensive push to her, which you should), for a likely 9 hits. Even other Jedi are going to feel that.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I think she's slightly better than Luke outside of the Son of Skywalker turn, Jar'kai does wonders for fixing bad rolls.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Nash posted:

Explain the way this happens. I paint more than I play, and only really play against friends who really on me for the rules.

So the card "I am no Jedi" gives her agile 1. This means everytime she takes a standard move that turn, she gains 1 dodge token. She also has defend 1, which gives her a dodge when you assign her the order with the card. She has charge, so you should be moving twice before attacking in meele, for a total of 3 dodges. (Probably one more if you activate a commander first and hit her with take cover).

You're also going to take offensive push as one of your 2 training upgrades ( the other is likely tenacity) which gives you tactical 1, like agile but aim tokens instead.

The card then gives you up to 3 extra white dice per token when making your attack pool (tenacity adds a red die if you're wounded too), meaning you're rolling 2-3 red, 2 black, and 5 white with 2 aim tokens, and 3-4 dodge tokens. Jar'kai mastery lets you spend dodge tokens to convert misses to hits, or hits to get Crits.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want more rebels minis and now I find out ashoka is a thing? ugh i'm gonna have to dig hard around here to find a group i guess

Are these rebel units any good?

Jyn erso
Lando
Leia
Chewbacca
Han solo

They're the only rebel single units I have left

Jyn is fun, but fairly mid. Leia suffers from being twice the cost of the generic officer while being nearly the same, but it's still playable.

Han is pretty good, especially against red saves. If you fight a lot of Republic you can reliably pop 3-4 dudes a turn, and he has great command cards. Pairs really well with Chewie, who himself pairs well with anything you want protected.

I think Lando is pretty bad, except that one of his cards hands out a standby, which is really good for Luke or Ashoka.

Speaking of Ashoka, I took her out for a test drive today. She's loving nuts. One game she one shot Rex on her 1-pip turn, followed by killing an At-Rt the next turn. Jar-kai mastery combined with rebel dodge token gen is extremely effective

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I don't even know how Darks got released as is. A fully upgraded squad is 215 (220 with the program upgrade), whereas a fully upgraded At-ST is around 188.

You get one more wound, better attack pools, a lower profile that's easier to hide, red saves, and what else am I forgetting?

Ah yes, two loving activations.

For like +25 points

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

It was nice to the see the Landspeeder come down in points too, it was good but still too expensive once it was fully tooled out.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Bright Tree Village Battleforce news:

Leia's command card "Brains and Brawn" works with Chewbacca in the ATST.

By rules his contribution doesn't even break Incognito.

Oh dang

Lotta competition for command cards in Bright Tree tho

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

radlum posted:

I’ve been out of the game for a while; how are Rebels list now? Are Ahsoka, Ewoks and Boba Fett worth getting?

Ewoks are pretty solid, they can play objectives really well if you know what you're doing.

Ashoka beats out OpLuke for our Jedi of choice, and supports her army really well. She pairs well with Cassian and K2, and that's probably the core of one of the better rebel lists atm. White saves are still a struggle though.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Eldritch BiLast posted:

I'm dipping back into Legion after trying to get into it, right at a bad time (Pandemic). Working on putting together a Ahsoka/Sabine list and so far have those two, Clan Wren, and two units of Rebel Troopers, but don't know what else to go with at the moment, and am looking for advice.

You're gonna want Cassian and K-2S0. He's probably the best rebel commander atm, and K2 is quite good as well.

Also, if you're running rebel troopers it's probably worth it to grabbing the trooper upgrade box so you can run 2 units with captains and Daly's

Even if you don't run Ewoks en-masse, a couple boxes of slingers are the cheapest way to pad out activations, and they're reasonably effective if you get'em in close.

Rebel veterans are also a solid corps choice

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

MagnaGuards are legit, a lot of lists just run 3 squads of the suckers

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Bit late to the party here, but Death Troopers are quite good in Imperial Remnant. They get access to cheap heavy weapons and free aim/dodge tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

The only place I use one is in my Remnant list, which ends up with like 50 ish points left and you can't take Sniper Strike Teams