Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Yeah, bounty hunters and scum would definitely get me picking this up.

So are the expansions that are duplicates of the starter set different, with the standard FFG different upgrade cards model, or are they the same?

Getting two starters at £70 each seems like it would give you 800 points (checked, does with rebels). Since the expansions are £25 with shipping, wanting three extra of any of the core stuff justifies getting two core games.

Anyone played it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

That's the thing making me hesitate. The likely event that everything in the core set will be at the back of the cupboard next year as we contend with an ATAT/Deathtrooper meta.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

It's a tabletop wargame so scenery, missions and victory conditions add hugely to replayability. The starter is 4 units a side (1 commander, both of which are jedi, 2 standard troops and 1 unit of vehicles) but there are plenty of games with less models and units.

Doing it with starship corridors is very different to doing it on a flat plain with no terrain.

The smaller games need more terrain.

Certainly you need more terrain than is present in the starter.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well I've crumbled and bought a starter. I'll get it painted up after I move and see how it plays.

I'm likely to get a second starter for the extra basic units anyway.

From a first glance I think Vader, who clocks in at the same points as an AT-ST, is too slow and expensive and Veers plus 2 extra squads of troops is a better buy. However I'll have to play some games first.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Ok, so it might be popular.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

If the rules aren't great porting the minis over to Gates of Antares would be fairly easy. Hmmm.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Does the plastic need a scrub before assembly?

And I found an AT-ST for less than £30 on ebay and bought it, so I know I am starting to slip down the rabbit hole.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Ugleb posted:

... Is it for Imperial Assault?

Well it's the legion box, so I bloody hope not.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Previous cheapest I had seen was £37. As I have recived the shipping notice I will see what I get Monday.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Yup. But they do make the Imp rear end stuff look pretty lovely.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Imperial stuff teased yet?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, there's not much variation now. It's basically Vader plus 3 squads of stormtroopers plus ATST plus 2 bikes or Vader plus 4/5 squads of stormtroopers plus 2 squads of bikes depending on upgrades.

2 more units and 2 more leaders gives a lot more variation.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, more variation than 3 different units of 1 wound guys who shoot things slightly differently is required.

What about Wookies and K2 droids for things that can take a few hits and shoot back but also murder things in assault?

Hover tanks from Rogue One. Rebel Grav tanks from the Battlefront game, etc etc.

Yeah, hopefully the wave after the commandos is another vehicle or a different type of infantry, or it'll get stale pretty quick.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

My starter arrived today, so I will unbox it tomorrow with mini and scale comparisons.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

So are you guys attaching arms before painting?

On the one hand a lot of the arm arrangements obstruct the chest, on the other hand iy means you fill the gaps before you undercoat and paint.

Also these minis can get bubbles. I have one at the bottom of Lukes arm just under the armpit.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I plan on playing with decent amounts of cover, and rebels seem very much about sitting in cover and ambushing things. Give them a tank and some tougher infantry and we might see that change.

I've assembled and gap filled my stormtroopers now, along with Vader and Luke, so that's almost half the starter put together.

I do think the mini quality is about the same as Mantic Deadzone, though the sculpts are better and of things we are familiar with.

My AT-ST should come today. It does feel like to have a proper game you need 800 points of stuff. Also on paper I think Vader is a bit of a waste of points due to being slow and costing about as much as an AT-ST. Veers is more than 100 points cheaper which gives you another set of speeder bikes or 1 1/2 squads of troopers.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I do like the AT-RT as a unit for the look and gun options. Has anyone tried running them in pairs? And go all anti tank or anti personnel or one of each?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I have an AT-ST waiting for me at home.

Are there any good sources for stormtrooper colourschemes?

I was thinking coloured helmet stripe to differentiate the different squads, as I'll end up with four of them and it could get confusing otherwise.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

That's not a great sculpt. Maybe it's the 'thin ure paints!' level paint job, or maybe it's the sculpt.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Has anyone had issues with mould release?

And I have no idea how I got an AT-ST for £28.50 including shipping. They must have entered the wrong price.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently droids are next year as well as scum.

But there hasn't been a formal announcement and waves are every three months.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like 3D prints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

For people talking about contrast white finish it off with a drybrush of the citadel dry paint Praxeti White. It makes it even better.