Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What the Hell, I'm here for yet another minis game.

I'm going in with a friend at first each getting a starter and swapping to shore up my Empire and his Rebels. Gonna get some terrain and the boxes at Adepticon, and I already ordered some loose micro-machines action fleet starfighters off ebay for landing pad/hangar terrain. Gonna set up a couple A-Wings in a little jungle outpost with camo netting over them and it will look sweet as gently caress for my space facists to attack.

:homebrew:

I went for the Empire since that seems like a speed-painting wet dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Devlan Mud posted:

Talked to the local store owner this morning and now he's doing a midnight release of Legion so schmucks like me can buy from him instead of the soulless corporate suits at the FFG Booth at Adepticon, so I guess at like 1 am on Thursday morning I'm gonna be putting some rebel troopers and chicken walkers together.

Nab me a Stompy Boi too why not? If you can. I didn't know that was an option when you messaged.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What are everyone's terrain table plans? When I was a tiny kid I used to make sort of dioramas with my Star Wars guys I called "set-ups" and made my parents come examine and praise, so the cool modular terrain possibilities are a big draw.

I am probably going to see if I can get some of Imperial Terrain's pieces at Adepticon. https://imperialterrain.com/

I have a few loose Action Fleet ships that are roughly to scale that I've used for the TTRPG before for landing bays/pads/hanger setups.

A few of these look like they'd make great starship interior/base interior/urban scatter:
https://tinyurl.com/ybszj272

Apparently Revelle makes a 1:53 scale AT-AT.

I'd love to find a shuttle at an appropriate-ish scale (I'd even take 1:48).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

head58 posted:

Those links are great, thanks.

I’m planning on making an industrial-type board that can be used as a warehouse/factory or as a landing platform. I grabbed some plastic electrical boxes from Home Depot that look a lot like sci fi crates or small buildings, and some bathroom vent covers that look like the landing pads. Putting down rectangles of plasticard painted varying shades of grey in standard Imperial surface texture.

I also have plans for a special scenario board that is the docking between a Star Destroyer and a Rebel blockade runner, with the junction in the middle and lots of walls like a zone mortalis thing. Haven’t worked all the details out yet but it will be troops only, no vehicles, and have the data tapes in the middle that have to be returned to one of the end zones.

Nice! One thing I'm thinking might work for floor grating for these sorts of setup is painted plastic canvas. Scale might be a little off IDK I haven't looked at a piece in years since my first wife messed around with it.

Devlan Mud posted:

Gonna get a white yoga mat and call it Hoth

e: or crait

One of these days Resistance Trooper Joe is going to find the real reason he keeps taste testing the ground wherever they go: The fabled Cocaine Planet.

I'm actually starting to wonder if this game will push me to the point where buying a 3D Printer and .stl's is more cost effective than buying actual pieces.

:homebrew:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

fadam posted:

Okay, so it might be boring but I'll be able to make a playable board just using cubes.

You could do that, or you could make a modular Battle of Jakuu table with the bulk of the table taken up by an overturned, smoldering AT-AT and crashed starfighters for the guys to clamber over. :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Just cover the playing area in table salt.

Or cocaine.

This Etsy shop has some cool stuff, and pretty cheap. I like that tower!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Panhandle3dPrinting

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Raged posted:

I'm just going to use 2 X-Wing mats to make my 6x3 until a find a 6x3 mat dirt cheap

Put little bubble helmets on the rebels and say everyone.has jetpacks. A literal starwar.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That owns.

Being able to do stuff like that is half the reason to play this, IMO.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

head58 posted:

My only issue with using mats for this game, aside from the ffg ones looking like garbage, is I don’t have a 6 foot long table. Even with pink foam boards I’m sure my cat will jump up on the overhang and flip it over within a week.

A 6' folding table can be had for under forty bucks, and stores away pretty well when you're not playing with your dolls again.

E: True, you may have to smush 2 together, especially since you'll probably want a zone off the actual play area to keep all your dice and cards and casualties and crap. Still $80-$100 so you can play with your $300 worth of Star Wars action figures and terrain (not to mention having a handy play table for whatever other tabletopping you do) seems like a reasonable hobby expense.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 20, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Picked up a few more loose Action Fleet ships for set dressing. Would highly recommend if you can get them cheap. Only quibble is esp. at 35mm the Y-Wing will probably look off so maybe skip that one:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

:aaa: I had some of those toys! They were so nifty. Though where do those paint job for the green A wing and Y wing come from ?

Off the shelf variants, believe it or not. The a-wings I just picked up together in a lot. I bet the guy would be mortified I pulled them right out of the sealed boxes.

I did add the blod striping to the interceptor a while back.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Any of you reprobates at Adepticon?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I wil be doing things at Adepticon, in a possum shirt and blue hoodie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I have settled on a mustafarr/sullust for my first terrain set it's gonna own hard. :black101:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A somewhat symmetrical scout trooper dismount box would be cool.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Extremism in pursuit of a table full of suitable terrain is no vice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The age-old basing question.

I'm leaning towards going just plain flat color rather than flocked and stuff due to the fact my dudes will be on desert planets, deck plating, forest moons, etc etc.

However option B is to do them up for my main terrain board which is Sullust/Mustafar which would look slick... on that mat. And weird everywhere else.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The speeder seems like a reasonably good hedge against walkers: The main cannons are impact 3 and the tow cable can make it show its rear end to give even your squads of small arms dorks Impact 1 against it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

I was thinking coloured helmet stripe to differentiate the different squads, as I'll end up with four of them and it could get confusing otherwise.

My plan is to do them all uniform movie canon white, the edge bevel trimmed in a color matching a color on the squad commander's pauldron.

E: they made the rebel squad leader too distinctive. He sticks out like a special character/officer type with that "posing for the cover of my hot fire hip hop album I just dropped" look. I could mix it up with my sprue of random ladyheads, but the scale is weird.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 26, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

let me get some darktroopers from BF1

Please save trash for this for like wave 12, after all the screen canon has been exhausted. :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Welp is there anything weird about this plastic that disagrees with Simple Green?

After a lovely batch of Army Painter primer made this speed paint job a wreck a ton of stormtroopers I want to start from scratch.

I'm pretty pleased with my Vader at least.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

OptimusWang posted:

Did Han ever wear a coat like that in the OT? All I can see is Malcolm Reynolds.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

shoplifter posted:

Still can't figure out why the paintjobs on the characters have been so poo poo in their promo photos

Seriously, I know 3 people personally I could commission to do something at least twice as good, would probably paint the whole line so far for a grand.

Maybe they're trying a new tack of not making the painted specimens look too good so people feel better about their efforts? :v:

That Han is just a miserable likeness in the sculpt though. Mythbusters proved you CAN polish a turd, but it takes a great deal of effort.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Played my first proper game tonight, 800 points Empire vs Rebels. The bidding/veto system for battlefield conditions and mission objective was cool. I took max speeder bikes which was great for the "get into the other guy's end zone across the full length of the table" scrum we ended up with. It took Vader some time to get to midfield but once he did a timely use of Implacible followed by Master of Evil made his presence felt. Beat a walker to death, choked out the last surviving sergeant from a trooper squad, and killed Luke with a thrown saber. :black101:

I like their take on something akin to bolt actions order dice bag but with a little less variance.

Ended up being a tie as he was able to get one squad of infantry and his airspeeder over, to my 2 squads of bikes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cool. I bent and ordered a ridiculously expensive thing of GW primer to make sure the job gets done right this time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wedge in an airspeeder is worth tryna work in IMO.

I have found in practice at least in the first game the compulsory speeder move is a benefit far more often than a drawback.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

imperialparadox posted:

Anybody mess with a lot of grenades yet? Both types might be more useful than I originally thought.

Range 1 really seems like it would limit their utility, but this is based on one game that was deployed as the Long March.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

How's balance in this? I've only given the rules a quick look-through while I was putting the models in the starter together. Neither side LOOKS much better than the other, but maybe Rebels are a little trickier?

I'm still kinda torn between my tendency to do the 'Good Guys' vs really liking the Vader and storm trooper models, and the speeders. I imagine a certain joy in commanding Stormtroopers to their almost certain deaths.

Anecdotes say it's a little tilted toward the rebels bexause Luke and AT Rts feel like more bang for the points than Vader and the ATST, but it's wave 0 so it's pretty bare bones

You'll be pleased to know Vader has an order New Ways To Motivate that lets him choke out a trooper from a unit to grant it an extra action.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Like with a lot of games the starter is a really good value to ah... Start... and gets better when you and a friend pick factions and split 2 so you have enough points for a full size game if you put it all on the table.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

Apparently droids are next year as well as scum.

But there hasn't been a formal announcement and waves are every three months.

I hope they create new factions for CW seperate from CW.

I kind of was hoping they'd handle Scum like Regiments of Reknown in Warhammer: either army can hire them as a special unit choice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Eh, getting into X-Wing to actually play a proper game of X-Wing with a real competitive list is a lot more expensive than just "I got a starter and a couple expansions." If anything Legion is (so far) giving appearances of being a little less ridiculous of "buy the latest expansion to get the essential synergistic upgrade for the unit we released 2 waves ago."

And if you're just playing kitchen table with pals, it doesn't matter how many points you play.

Basically the tabletop gaming hobby is stupid expensive and you gotta make piece with that or find some inide PDF game that uses little green army men as playing pieces.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Quick and dirty suggestion for grating to indicate built-up areas of military installations/etc on your natural mat, or for your scratchbuilt hangars: Plastic canvas.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

He's... far from aggressively costed. Looking forward to having a proper commander.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Deviant posted:

Glossy black bases for Imperials (Death Star Flooring) with Silver Rings for captains/dudes of importance?

Thoughts?

I did flat navy.

I might rebase clear acrylic when that becomes an option.

Usually I'm a fan of flocking and scenic basing, even special resin inserts, but given the fact that there are just so many possible biomes/artificial surroundings I'm going neutral on my Starwar mans.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Anyone have a scale comparison on that new 30 buck falcon from the new solo flick?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd love to see "generic" commanders. At this scale of Skirmish Darth Vader or even General Veers isn't always going to be the one leading the charge to sabotage some moisture vaporators or whatever.

Give us Imperial Captain and Rebel Captain, a really bare bones commander tax that can take a few upgrades to be okay.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

head58 posted:

Finally finished my hangar bay board, which pretty much guarantees I’ll never play this game again.

That shreds major scrote. You got little spaceship dollies for it? You got a piece of translucent blue plastic and a little starfield printout under that opening?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Vorthos in me is annoyed that I'll have to run snowtroopers even if we're on the desert mat.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I want to get clear or tinted acrylic bases for my guys. Anyone doing that and have a recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Deviant posted:

Are these the same size as a Legion base, though?

They are bigger, unfortunately.