Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The first thing we see Leia do is upload stolen military data, shoot a stormtrooper dead, and stand up to Darth Vader without blinking. I have no problems believing she's a badass.

- - -

If all of the Separatist stuff is poor, what does a good army of theirs look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Froghammer posted:

I very, very badly want to paint Padme to have her wearing Natalie Portman's Oscar dress

I'd kinda like to see these guys in the game:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Icon Of Sin posted:

If I ever get around to doing Phase 2’s,

They're already out.

quote:

I want to try contrast paints. Doing at least 3 coats of Pallid Witch Flesh as the base color got old fairly fast :v:

I painted Stormtroopers' white with white primer, Contrast "Apothecary White." and bit of cleanup.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I hate painting Stormtroopers. White is the worst color to work with, and the high contrast of black is completely unforgiving. Whoever designed their look is evil:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

Nice crisp work on them, though!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'm more used to Historicals, and the shades of a green or brown uniform are a lot more forgiving. If you paint some WWII Soviet trooper wearing a brown uniform and mess up on his boots no one will notice, it all looks like the brown of the base anyway. But those Stormtroopers? I hate white.

If I knew how annoying this was going to be I would have gone with Shoretroopers, which look a lot more fun to paint, but I got into the game by splitting a box set with a friend of mine who was smarter than me and chose the Rebels.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hot drat, that's nice.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nice and hot piss posted:

my plan is to just shout "UNLIMITED POWEERRR" every time I cast force lightning

This guy gets it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Verisimilidude posted:

Here's everything star wars legion I've painted over the past 3 weeks!

Beautiful work. Hope my Imperial cannon fodder looks half as good when they're done.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ugleb posted:

It continues to baffle me why FFG didn't put everything Clone Wars into hard plastic. Asmodee must have been really reluctant to pay for tooling or something.

The basic Imperial Stormtroopers are awful, just soft plastic mush.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StashAugustine posted:

Stormies also suck because a lot of the visual interest is the black undergarment and the models don't really show it off very well. Rebel troopers aren't great but they're less boring at least

I did a decent job painting them, but assembling them was a real chore due to the soft plastic and mold lines everywhere. I don't think I'll ever buy more.

Edit:

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 5, 2022

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Finished some Stormtroopers:

I've got some vehicles and officers left to do.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Thanks very much! White is the devil's own color, I hate painting it. Black is also no fun. As if the Empire wasn't bad enough they picked awful colors.

Next is an AT/ST, a tank, and some officers. (I may paint one as Dedra Meero.) Once that's done I never want to paint Empire again. I picked up the Hoth Rebel box, which should be more fun to paint than stormtroopers.

Edit: This is the model I'll use as Dedra Meero:

The model needs more jodhpurs, though. (Holy crap, spellcheck recognizes jodhpurs? What is this, 1890?)

I've also seen some 3d printed Imperial Army troops from Skullforge which are very, very tempting.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 12, 2023

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StashAugustine posted:

I did an officer as Isard, which is basically the same thing really.

I had to look up who that is; the red uniform is a very striking look that could be good on a model.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

AT/ST, almost complete. I may add an oil streak or two, but I don't want to overdo it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

love the subtle weathering. If I had one note a few a very light patina of dirt around the leading edges of the feet matching the basing color would make it look that much more like it was ready to walk of the table.

Good idea, I'll probably do that to the stormtroopers' feet too.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hoiyes posted:

Looking great. What did you use for the base? That's exactly the tone and look I want for my army but I cannot find a tutorial or guide that nails it.

Model railroad ballast of different sizes, a tiny airbrush highlight, and grass tufts of a couple different colors. I'd be happy to give more detail, but it's pretty simple.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hoiyes posted:

Thanks! Was the airbrush highlight a specific color or one you mixed up yourself? The rest I play around with until I get the look.

A mix of a couple of different Tamiya colors. It's VERY light.

My general approach to basing (or doing anything natural) is to pick 2-4 colors that are fairly close to each other, then paint assembly-line style. Make one pass with each color on one area, then mix them up and make another pass on another area with different colors, etc. It makes things look varied but is very simple to do.

My full process for everything was:

1. Cover the top of the bases with drywall compound. This makes them less flat. If I'm basing a vehicle or something bigger I make it step/sit on the base so I'm sure it has a flat place to go when it's all done.

2. Spraypaint the base. In this case I used Krylon camouflage tan, available at the local hardware store.

3. Mount the model. For regular stormtroopers I pin them to a cork to paint them. When it's time to base them I cut the pin, drill a tiny hole in the base, and glue them down with a tiny bit of superglue on the pin. For vehicles I just glue them down.

4. I cover the base with white glue. Then I break out the railroad ballast - fortunately my city has a good model railroad store. I stick on a few of the biggest big rocks. Then I scatter on some medium sized rocks. Then I cover the whole base with the smallest rocks, which are pretty much sand. Shake off the excess when dry and make sure the edges of the base are clean.

5. I do a VERY light airbrush highlight on the base just to make the rocks a bit more varied in color. You can probably skip this step if you're happy with the rocks as-is; looking at the photos I can barely see it.

6. Glue on some grass tufts. I use some as-is, and cut up a few so they aren't all the same exact size.

It's all easy to do.

After these are done I'm going to tackle some Hoth rebels with snow bases, wish me luck.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

Moff Gideon is coming with a print and play "imperial remnant" battleforce.

Holy poo poo, I must buy this.

I love the idea of an army of guys in hodge-podge/patched together armor, like this:

I know Gideon's army would be a little more "regular," but I can start there.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Does anyone make, or print, stormtrooper backpacks?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there an update on when Ewoks might come out?

ngl, would totally play Gungans.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gungans with shields and spears:

Gungans on Kaadu:

Catapults:

Falumpasets:

Fambaa:

Hell, I would print/buy this army now if I knew how to "counts as" it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'm working on Hoth / Echo Base Rebels right now. They aren't fully painted, but they're coming along; I've got a lot of work to do, plus basing:

I also got a few more weapons teams and another Snowspeeder.

If you do go with Echo Base Rebels there are some really good 3D Printed models out there. I bought two sets of these eBay Link, and I can't recommend them enough. They're good, detailed models and they help break up the army so you don't have just the same poses over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’ve had Asajj for a while, but didn’t have any way to play any games until this week. I ran her alongside a horde of droids, and she went to work :stare:

A Ventris army is very tempting.

I'd theme the army around the first ep of Clone Wars: