Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
No, there is an infinity war trailer, but no other reference to anything but Bucky being in Wakanda. And that's a minor one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
^^^e,fb.

Saturniid19 posted:

I have been watching the MCU movies with my kids and we are caught up through Dr. Strange. Should we go see Black Panther this weekend or should we wait until after watching Guardians 2, Spider-man, and Thor 3? Are there any connections to the other movies that would throw off the build up to Infinity War if seen out of order?

Black Panther is like 99% self-contained, don't put it off to watch other Marvel movies first.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
White weighs in.

No surprises here. He burns the Democrats and praises Snyder, After Earth and Chronicles of Riddick of all things. It rules.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Black Panther is pretty standalone, the only movie you'd really need to watch is Civil War just to refresh your memory on T'Challa's origin to the MCU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shanty posted:

White weighs in.

No surprises here. He burns the Democrats and praises Snyder, After Earth and Chronicles of Riddick of all things. It rules.

I don’t need to read it to know it does not.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, the cgi fights were terrible. Black Panther should have stayed out of his suit.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Martin Freeman's character and his whole subplot kinda ruined this movie singlehandedly for me. I mean, in light of the MANY instances of CIA interference throughout Africa in the last several decades- from coups in Ghana and the Congo, to their involvement in French oppression in Algeria, to their presence in Chad and Angola in the 80s, to the assistance they provided in identifying, capturing and imprisoning dissenters for the South African government in the Apartheid era, and even up to their more recent involvement in arming and training 'moderate rebels' in Libya who went on to destroy the country and turn it into a terrorist-funding slave market where black Africans are being kidnapped, rounded up and sold into slavery literally right now- (oh, not to mention all that work they did gathering intelligence and assisting the FBI against the actual Black Panther Party in America!) it seems really weird and distasteful for Disney and Marvel to put out a fanciful and benevolent portrayal of the CIA's presence in Africa.

The IC would have called the Black Panther movie Russian propaganda if it didn't portray the CIA in a positive light; indeed, that would have hurt maximum box office results, so Disney obliged.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

viral spiral posted:

The IC would have called the Black Panther movie Russian propaganda if it didn't portray the CIA in a positive light; indeed, that would have hurt maximum box office results, so Disney obliged.

:thunk:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Disney absolutely considers the politics of their movies in the screenwriting phase. This is part of their famous development process.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The important thing about Ross in this movie is that his role is to shut up and do what the African characters tell him to do.

That's kind of delightful, that there's a token white guy whose character arc is learning that it's not his place to have any involvement in the decision-making process.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Disney absolutely considers the politics of their movies in the screenwriting phase. This is part of their famous development process.

Duh, you'd be an idiot not to consider any potential "politics" of a script when writing a movie. I just have my doubts that a movie where the 3 major players(T'challa, Killmonger, and the literal CIA agent himself) say "yo we(America) destabilize and depose leaders all the time" and it's treated as a bad thing is somehow an endorsement of the CIA.

I extremely have my doubts the CIA and IC contacted Disney, Coogler and the creative team were told to tone it down because otherwise they will be branded as Russians

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 16, 2018

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nobody likes Hamas.

No one liked the Muslim Brotherhood so they rebranded and here they are, back to the start. Tough racket

But I’m specifically thinking of a guy like Moazzam Begg, working with Amnesty and campaigning for Corbyn but cheerleading any anti American power in the Islamic world even if they make the Tories look like Old Bolsheviks. The kind of scatterbrained relativism that ethnic cleansing is ok as long as you hold a refendum on it

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

my only complaint is that we didn't see more Angela Bassett

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Michael B Jordon is so good in this, holy poo poo. What I took from Killmonger is that everything he says is right,a nd he probably believes it, but ] He's really motivated by pure revenge, which is why he takes things way too loving far. He's a kid who found his dad's dead body and was abandoned. Growing up black in America must have stung extra hard when you found out you were kicked out of a fairytale kingdom where black people were never colonised, and had the power to stop oppression but didn't.

I also had a quick question about the mid-credits scene:

Am I hearing things? Or did T'Challa say something like ''we can't let the illusions of the vision divide us'. It was a really weird line because the whole audience was clearly thinking 'wait, did he say vision, or 'Vision'?'

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The illusions of division

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Am I hearing things? Or did T'Challa say something like ''we can't let the illusions of the vision divide us'. It was a really weird line because the whole audience was clearly thinking 'wait, did he say vision, or 'Vision'?'

I heard the same thing, just like woah, huge burn on Vision out of nowhere!

But yes definitely what Dexo said.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

lol If you think the CIA would let an African Country become wealthy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

viral spiral posted:

lol If you think the CIA would let an African Country become wealthy.

If we stopped buying Jordans we could build our own Wakanda.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Shanty posted:

White weighs in.

He's 100% correct

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I really liked Killmonger as an antagonist. there's a lot to emphasize with, being that he grew up without a dad in the inner cities, which drives him to greatness. He wants to free the oppressed, only in that he wants to do it through war.

Maybe it's my white guilt, but it was really sad to me when he said he'd rather be dead than in chains before he kills himself.

I do think his actions do influence T'Chella to open Wakanda up to the real world, but they get to do it on Wakanda's terms.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dexo posted:

Lol.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
African American Panther?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
No soul stone? :/ They haven't revealed where that is yet, have they?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It would have been better if, instead of playing Wing Commander, Bilbo Baggins started up a heroin-cartel in Wakanda as soon as he woke up, like any CIA agent.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 17, 2018

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Small White Dragon posted:

No soul stone? :/ They haven't revealed where that is yet, have they?

It'll be at the centre of the vibranium asteroid because seriously, where else could it be?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Wait is this movie the inverse of The Spook Who Sat By the Door (film)?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there any product that isn't improved by being made of vibranium?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dexo posted:

Can we keep Michael B Jordan though? he's delightful

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What I took from Killmonger is that everything he says is right,a nd he probably believes it, but [spoiler] He's really motivated by pure revenge, which is why he takes things way too loving far.[/qpoiler]

And what one can take from that is that black people, even those who've suffered horribly, shouldn't lose their temper and be angry.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's funny, the only part of the movie I didn't like is the rhino. The rhino stopping it's charge to give a warrior a lil smooch really took me out of the scene as a gag that really didn't need to be there. There's a lot of tension in the fight and things are super serious so I didn't quite get why they had to suddenly end one of the conflicts on a funny CGI animal.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there any product that isn't improved by being made of vibranium?
A pinata.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's funny, the only part of the movie I didn't like is the rhino. The rhino stopping it's charge to give a warrior a lil smooch really took me out of the scene as a gag that really didn't need to be there. There's a lot of tension in the fight and things are super serious so I didn't quite get why they had to suddenly end one of the conflicts on a funny CGI animal.

Children.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saw Black Panther last night. Loved it. Felt this last night, and still feel it now, that Black Panther, along with Wonder Woman, are two of my favorite comic book super hero movies. The cast was great, I especially loved Shuri. Letitia Wright steals the movie every time she is on screen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Letitia Wright was fantastic and I hope she gets more work.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sincerity is really hard for the MCU, and even Coogler could only go so far.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snowman_McK posted:

Letitia Wright was fantastic and I hope she gets more work.

if they're really writing a Black Widow movie and they want to do a James Bond-style spy flick they've gotta bring her in as the gadget person.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

seiferguy posted:

I really liked Killmonger as an antagonist. there's a lot to emphasize with, being that he grew up without a dad in the inner cities, which drives him to greatness. He wants to free the oppressed, only in that he wants to do it through war.

Maybe it's my white guilt, but it was really sad to me when he said he'd rather be dead than in chains before he kills himself.

I do think his actions do influence T'Chella to open Wakanda up to the real world, but they get to do it on Wakanda's terms.

Well my Black Pride led me to the same conclusions.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The Rhino belongs to her boyfriend and is shown to be a domestic animal that just so happens to be bred for war. It's not going to attack her any more than it would attack him. Could have been done better, but it was certainly set up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Adder Moray posted:

The Rhino belongs to her boyfriend and is shown to be a domestic animal that just so happens to be bred for war. It's not going to attack her any more than it would attack him. Could have been done better, but it was certainly set up.

Yeah, I dunno why people missed this he even says " I love you" to her

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's set up, it's just out of place. The lick, specifically, which undercuts what's otherwise a very effective scene.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Adder Moray posted:

Like I got that. I just think it would of worked better if he got thrown off it somehow and the rhino comes to a stop. She's near it and she has a recognition moment without the lick or whatever. Husband tries to call it back to him and it fails. Then it continues as normal.

Like it's not the be-all end all but ehhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That relationship was strange. Outside of the one line earlier in the film, it's not mentioned again until the very end. They could have built that up a lot better and really ratcheted up the emotional tension and symbolism of the final battle.

• Locked thread