Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

You're right, there are also cookie cutter compliments of the film's aesthetics as well as cookie cutter compliments of the film in general.
It's fine to not enjoy the quality of discourse in this thread, but you're shifting goal posts. People can cite why they enjoy this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

the stakes of the movie are ... the soul of Wakanda.

What does that even mean.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's fine to not enjoy the quality of discourse in this thread, but you're shifting goal posts. People can cite why they enjoy this movie.

"Relatively little" has been my position from the beginning.

I just think it's interesting that there's a lot more 'you're determined to hate marvel' or 'you're a racist' than 'no, the film is actually good because X'

Which, again, is what I said

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 3, 2018

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What does that even mean.
The stakes are rooted in if Wakanda becomes an imperialistic nation or not. The end battle for the film is not to save white folks. It's to save Wakanda.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Timeless Appeal posted:

The stakes are rooted in if Wakanda becomes an imperialistic nation or not. The end battle for the film is not to save white folks. It's to save Wakanda.

Wakanda is already an imperialistic nation.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Wakanda is already an imperialistic nation.
It's literally the opposite of an imperialistic nation to a fault.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's literally the opposite of an imperialistic nation to a fault.

If it's not an imperialistic nation, why does it practice ethnic segregation, hoard resources, suppress revolutionary movements, and perform extralegal intelligence and police actions on the soil of sovereign nations?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

The stakes are rooted in if Wakanda becomes an imperialistic nation or not.

You aren’t thinking this through very well. What is Wakanda? Is isolationism the soul of Wakanda? Why your dichotomy between isolationism and imperialism? Why no third option? Is Wakanda inherently oppressive?

Is there a violence in Wakanda’s tribe-and-caste system? Is the king perceived as literally the soul of the nation instead of a figurehead-servant of the people? Does the tribe-and-caste system serve the same function as racism in naturalizing inequality? Does the king not get all his money from the people? Do the majority of these people even have internet access? Are they allowed to leave? Is it for their own good?

On the other hand: what is the danger in arming the oppressed? Is the scene in 1992 Oakland not an obvious reference to the Rodney King riots? Were the riots ‘black imperialism’? Was it imperialism when the French Revolution spread to Haiti? Do you know why imperialism is even bad?

And why is anti-imperialism the horizon? Why not anticapitalism? Why not egalitarianism?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 3, 2018

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Do you know why imperialism is even bad?
Dude, you don't have to be rude and condescending. Your line of questioning is coming from the stance that the film is anti-revolutionary and then making a bunch of leaps from there.

Can you justify the film being anti-revolution?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If it's not an imperialistic nation, why does it practice ethnic segregation, hoard resources, suppress revolutionary movements, and perform extralegal intelligence and police actions on the soil of sovereign nations?
Because those are common traits of imperialism, not Imperialism itself.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They might be xenophobic, interventionist reactionaries, but don't you dare call them imperialists.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Can you justify the film being anti-revolution?

Umm... The revolutionary dies and the King joins the reason the uprising happened.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
It passed Jurassic World for number 4 today. By this weekend it will pass Titanic for number 3 all time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Umm... The revolutionary dies and the King joins the reason the uprising happened.
The revolutionary is a former CIA Agent who symbolically destroys the passage of power to anyone besides him. This is just going back to the key issue that people are taking Killmonger's words at face value instead of looking at who he actually is, what he actually does, and how the film codes him.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dan Freeman is not a revolutionary, but a CIA agent, who symbolically sets America ablaze with hatred.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

The revolutionary is a former CIA Agent who symbolically destroys the passage of power to anyone besides him. This is just going back to the key issue that people are taking Killmonger's words at face value instead of looking at who he actually is, what he actually does, and how the film codes him.

Speak clearly. You are accomplishing nothing with these ’codes’ that imitate progressive language.

“Symbolically destroys the passage of power to anyone besides him” is a very obvious spin on destroying the institutions of the monarchy from within. You are using deceit, implying that Killmonger takes power away from the people. That is an obvious falsehood. He took power from the monarchs.

The guy quit the CIA and turned against its interests, defecting from America to become a revolutionary. Here you are again using deceit, implying you are against the CIA - supporting the ruler who openly allies with the CIA and is literally the ‘commander in chief’ of his own intelligence network.

The question is what you have to gain by lying. What’s your investment here?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

You aren’t thinking this through very well. What is Wakanda? Is isolationism the soul of Wakanda? Why your dichotomy between isolationism and imperialism? Why no third option? Is Wakanda inherently oppressive?

Is there a violence in Wakanda’s tribe-and-caste system? Is the king perceived as literally the soul of the nation instead of a figurehead-servant of the people? Does the tribe-and-caste system serve the same function as racism in naturalizing inequality? Does the king not get all his money from the people? Do the majority of these people even have internet access? Are they allowed to leave? Is it for their own good?

On the other hand: what is the danger in arming the oppressed? Is the scene in 1992 Oakland not an obvious reference to the Rodney King riots? Were the riots ‘black imperialism’? Was it imperialism when the French Revolution spread to Haiti? Do you know why imperialism is even bad?

And why is anti-imperialism the horizon? Why not anticapitalism? Why not egalitarianism?

Interestingly, in the one scene in Wakanda's streets, the king walks around with full bodyguard, all of whom are visibly armed.

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, you're saying the revolutionary destroys the system that he's revolting against? Sounds like a good revolutionary.

Again, he's stopped WITH THE HELP OF A DIFFERENT CIA AGENT. I apologise for the caps, but it's a plot element people are really keen to ignore for obvious reasons.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Speak clearly. You are accomplishing nothing with these ’codes’ that imitate progressive language.

“Symbolically destroys the passage of power to anyone besides him” is a very obvious spin on destroying the institutions of the monarchy from within. You are using deceit, implying that Killmonger takes power away from the people. That is an obvious falsehood. He took power from the monarchs.

The guy quit the CIA and turned against its interests, defecting from America to become a revolutionary. Here you are again using deceit, implying you are against the CIA - supporting the ruler who openly allies with the CIA and is literally the ‘commander in chief’ of his own intelligence network.

The question is what you have to gain by lying. What’s your investment here?
Your interpretation of him burning the herb doesn't really vibe with him taking the throne and ignoring the representation the other tribes do have beyond the tribe that is literally border security.

But your responses sound like we're having a sword fight on a hazardous bridge, so I'll let myself out.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
killmonger didn't create an alternative for the monarchy. he left the cia but retained its ideology. his methods and goal was identical to the cia.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

temple posted:

killmonger didn't create an alternative for the monarchy. he left the cia but retained its ideology. his methods and goal was identical to the cia.

Nah, the CIA was represented in the movie, and their goal was to restore T'Challa to power. I know this because that is exactly what they did in the movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

Your interpretation of him burning the herb doesn't really vibe with him taking the throne and ignoring the representation the other tribes do have beyond the tribe that is literally border security.

Again, you are being deceptive here. You are using faux-democratic language to promote an antiquated tribe-and-caste system that is anathema to democracy.

Each of the five tribes is a minor theocracy whose leaders legitimize their rule by claiming the blessing of various animal gods appropriated from other cultures. (Hanuman is a Hindu monkey-god - not a gorilla.)

These tribal leaders are then allowed representation on the tribal council by swearing fealty to the king. There’s no democracy here.

temple posted:

That’s obviously false. Not only are you mixing up ‘ideologies’ and ‘tactics’, you’re attempting to claim that the CIA stands for egalitarianism.

Why this deceit?

Erik’s m.o. is, consistently, to turn the oppressor’s tactics against them. He uses CIA tactics to defeat the CIA, becomes king and then abolishes the monarchy, etc.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 4, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

he used cia tactics against a sovereign african nation. sound familiar?
he didn't defeat the cia, the only time he confronted the cia, it was to rescue klaue. i'd be down for a killmonger vs the cia but that wasn't the film we got.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

temple posted:

he used cia tactics against a sovereign african nation. sound familiar?

Again, deceit. Liberalism and fascism are both opposed to communism. This obviously does not mean that liberalism and fascism are the same ideology.

Nobody buys these crocodile tears over the rule of the panther king.

It’s like when Pacific Rim came out and liberals were praising the character Mako Mori for being a female Japanese superhero (very few of those in the world) who passed the Bechdel Test (actually failed the test, so there was a campaign to create a consolation Test) - but invariably ignored that Mako Mori is a fascist character.

This is what happens when you don’t have ideological critique and have to rely on shoddy alternatives.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Again, deceit. Liberalism and fascism are both opposed to communism. This obviously does not mean that liberalism and fascism are the same ideology.

Nobody buys these crocodile tears over the rule of the panther king.

It’s like when Pacific Rim came out and liberals were praising the character Mako Mori for being a female Japanese superhero (very few of those in the world) who passed the Bechdel Test (actually failed the test, so there was a campaign to create a consolation Test) - but invariably ignored that Mako Mori is a fascist character.

This is what happens when you don’t have ideological critique and have to rely on shoddy alternatives.
someone frame this post

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Imagine if some rear end in a top hat in the US gets elected president, goes up on TV, and says “I am the panther king! Bast came to me in a vision! Democracy is abolished now. Regional lords will be selected via spirit animal, but most of you will be indentured serfs.”

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Imagine if some rear end in a top hat in the US gets elected president, goes up on TV and says “I am the panther king! Democracy is abolished. Regional lords will be selected via spirit animal, but most of you will be indentured serfs.”
that has nothing to do with killmonger destroying the herbs, btw. are you in the same discussion? i usually adore your posts but these are not satisfying.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

temple posted:

that has nothing to do with killmonger destroying the herbs, btw. are you in the same discussion? i usually adore your posts but these are not satisfying.

I think most people would like their leader to stop taking drugs in that situation. At the least.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the my little pony comparison is looking more and more apt as i think about it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ungulateman posted:

the my little pony comparison is looking more and more apt as i think about it

i unironically want to know more about this comparison

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’d say Black Panther is best read as a Borat-esque satire of the poo poo you can get away with by pretending to be Foreign.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I’d say Black Panther is best read as a Borat-esque satire of the poo poo you can get away with by pretending to be Foreign.

Everyone look at this plebe who didnt get that Black Panther was a modernist technoutopian take on Uncle Tom's Cabin. :3:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Brother Entropy posted:

i unironically want to know more about this comparison

long ago, in the magical land of equestria wakanda, two royal sisters brothers ruled the land together in harmony. the younger sibling grew jealous of the elder, and Became Evil, so the elder was forced to banish them for a thousand years

when a dangerous outsider overthrows the kingdom to begin a new eternal reign, the young protege of the elder sibling must unite the six elements of harmony five tribes of wakanda in order to defeat them

plot twist! the dangerous outsider is the younger sibling, who is purified and forgiven kills themselves rather than face justice

the main connection is that both stories lean really hard on "monarchy is good, actually", but one is a childish fantasy and the other is a fantasy written for children

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ungulateman posted:

long ago, in the magical land of equestria wakanda, two royal sisters brothers ruled the land together in harmony. the younger sibling grew jealous of the elder, and Became Evil, so the elder was forced to banish them for a thousand years

when a dangerous outsider overthrows the kingdom to begin a new eternal reign, the young protege of the elder sibling must unite the six elements of harmony five tribes of wakanda in order to defeat them

plot twist! the dangerous outsider is the younger sibling, who is purified and forgiven kills themselves rather than face justice

the main connection is that both stories lean really hard on "monarchy is good, actually", but one is a childish fantasy and the other is a fantasy written for children

I really wish that rumour about Donald Glover being in this was true so I could work something in here about a childish gambit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ungulateman posted:

Again, The Lion King and a million other fables and cartoons about faraway kingdoms.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ungulateman posted:

this is more or less what I was expecting but part of me was hoping to get edified on some obscure late season Pony Lore that made the comparison even more on point

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
why was Martin Freeman still alive at the end

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

CharlestonJew posted:

why was Martin Freeman still alive at the end

Because the cia are the good guys lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Because the cia are the good guys lol

I mean, it is in keeping with the theme form Winter soldier, isn't it? All the good agents instantly knew who the nazis were, and fought against the nazi agents, proving that the corruption stemmed from bad apples, and not the institution itself.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
but the institution allowed for the corruption, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that a corrupt institution can be so insidious as to allow otherwise good people to ignorantly remain within it and work to further its ends unknowingly? the message communicated is that no group, governmental or otherwise, is sacred or pure enough to be trusted with immense power, and that good people must be otherwise vigilant of bad actors at all times and be willing to oust them from power if found, violently if need be.

its a small scale indictment of the society the movie was made in, good people exist in western governments yet they work towards evil ends because we have not vigilantly protected these institutions from corruption. it is a call to action to root out the 'hyrda' in our own government. its a very heavy handed metaphor too, what with the villain plot being "bigger eviler drones", it is surprising how many people walk out with the opposite message.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Farg posted:

its a very heavy handed metaphor too, what with the villain plot being "bigger eviler drones", it is surprising how many people walk out with the opposite message.

That gets muddied, though, because that was also Nick Fury's plot. The insight carriers were being built with his blessing, they may have even been his idea, but they were going to target terrorists based on DNA signature.

Shield isn''t corrupted by Hydra, it is literally the same organisation. Same goals, same methods. And Fury still wants to keep the carriers at the end, Cap has to talk him out of it.

Essentially, there are no good guys in the Marvel universe, but the films play out as if there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The “bad guys” also overwhelmingly outnumber the good guys which is how they so easily take control of the helicarriers and launch them. Shield doesn’t have a few bad apples from Hydra, it’s a few okay apples in a rotten bunch.

And of course everyone in the movie seems to mostly know who is a bad guy and who is a good guy as soon as Cap gives his speech, which leads one to wonder why they didn’t care that they were working with Nazi’s to build a drone army before right that minute.

• Locked thread