Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

WarComm occasionally runs an article about them, but three to five articles go up on WarComm each day so they fade fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the nerds who make lists on wikipedia have us covered and gosh there's so, so many games I never heard of on here.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Leperflesh posted:

the nerds who make lists on wikipedia have us covered and gosh there's so, so many games I never heard of on here.

quote:

A "Warhammer 40,000 Special Pack" downloadable content expansion was released on 27 February 2024, adding five units from Warhammer 40,000 to the game.[28]
The game is PowerWash Simulator, lmao

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

FMguru posted:

Yeah it owns lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FMguru posted:

Lmfao excellent

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It would appear as though the folks in North Dakota are circling the wagons. They're deleting comments about Phoenix, blocking commenters, and while she isn't listed on their website, she's still on the Facebook, and it seems she'll be the secret guest host of some tavern event. Presumably the social media manager met them at a party and they were just so supportive and super cool. That's usually how this particular grift works.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FMguru posted:

You should watch the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poh5bt6s7oU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Liquid Communism posted:

That wasn't a rep, that was their CEO and the director of BG3. They canned work on expansions and BG4 because everyone they worked with at WotC got got in the Christmas layoffs and they saw the writing on the wall about working with Hasbro. They're not going to burn WoTC over it, because they want to play nice for future opportunities with other licensing situations.

I thought it might have been an exec or studio head, but I wasn't positive about it. :shrug:

I pretty much agree with everything you're saying here though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Okay that's funny as hell.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Okay that's funny as hell.

There's also periodic messages you get while cleaning the various things that are reports about said item, and there's a bunch of bits that are [REDACTED] including what some of the gunk you're cleaning is. PWS is a very silly game and the 40k DLC might be my favorite of the DLC packs they've released. The FF7 and Tomb Raider dlcs are pretty fun too.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Let’s send Ulilillia to be our journalistic correspondent

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
In theory i could go, i only live like six hours away. On the other hand it's Minot and Minot somehow manages to suck more than Bismarck does.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
"One wash crew shall be sufficient..."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In different news, another MtG artist has been caught loving around, not with AI at least, but old school plagiarism

https://twitter.com/HeraldsHorn/status/1773364138095374635

Edit: Here's an article detailing all of the components discovered as plagiarized. As of posting, the only thing missing is where the axes in the art come from. The axes which are just one axe, but cloned and rotated and is why it looks so weird for one of the characters.
https://commandersherald.com/trouble-in-pairs-accused-of-plagiarizing-cyberpunk-novel-cover/

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 28, 2024

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Whoopsie doodle!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

gtrmp posted:

The CEO said very explicitly that they were doing something new because they wanted to, not because their relationship with Wizards/D&D soured.

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1771467986701819943

As tempting as it is to directly blame WotC for Larian moving on, that reading isn't actually supported by what he's said unless you decide that he was lying (but only when he said nice things about WotC, not when he said things that were critical of them).

Yeah, and that's him doing PR spin on his speech:

quote:

I also want to thank @Wizards_DnD and specifically the DnD team for giving us carte blanche. I’m really sorry to hear so many of you were let go. It’s a sad thing to realize that of the people who were in the original meeting room, there’s almost nobody left. I hope you all end up well.

There are many more partners I want to thank. We asked much of you all, but you delivered and without your efforts, BG3 would not be what it is.

I want to end with a story of a conversation I had a long time ago with a publisher. He told me, luckily for them, games are driven by idealism. He meant it in an exploitative way but he was right.

Games are a unique art form, as important as books, music or movies. Many developers, myself included, make games because they love seeing others engage with their creations in a way only games can offer.

They don’t care that much about the money made beyond it being the fuel they need to create new and better games. It’s worth reminding everyone that fuel is but a means, not a goal. Whereto and how we journey are what matter and what we remember.

That isn't so much an implication as it is a statement. 'Hey, thanks Wizards, sorry to hear you all got fired. Anyway, about how publisher greed ruins studios...'

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Bee posted:

I'd say it's crazy that the Blood Angels don't even get faction rules of their own, but considering no codex-compliant Marines do anymore the ship for complaining about that's kinda sailed.

Still, you'd think when Dawn of War was huge, they would've at least gotten to eat at the table.

I think you're confusing the Blood Angels (who I'm pretty sure do get faction rules) with the Bloody Magpies/Blood Ravens. But if they'd written a codex they might have had to answer which chapter they were a successor to...

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

whydirt posted:

Let’s send Ulilillia to be our journalistic correspondent

loving Christ I haven't thought about that dude in... Literal decades?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ravus Ursus posted:

loving Christ I haven't thought about that dude in... Literal decades?
Apparently he got a job somewhere near the coast, so he could do his thing and go float in the ocean whenever he wanted.

Godspeed, you Sonic! Hedgehog.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think games workshop adjusts its product or marketing based on what its licensed games are doing, at least not in circa 2014 under tom kirby, but I can see how it'd potentially involve some legal work and like... it'd actually be good for the company if it did spend some effort on aligning its tabletop products with its licensing ventures in some way.

I would certainly agree that GW might not do it right. What you get in return for doing it wrong, particularly these days, is lovely games that will not make you any money! Serious publishers don’t wanna work with companies that don’t think about their licenses, although shovelware companies don’t mind.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr.Misfit posted:

According to some numbers though, DnD didn't really get to convert those numbers into kept players and considering how they killed off BG3 DLC/Expansions and BG4 despite the absurd success the game had just shows how bad these companies are with looking at their customer base and divergent commercial trends.

There is still the problem with DnD that people think they need a good experienced dungeon master. And new players may be reluctant to be the dungeon master if their only experience is a videogame. Maybe even worse if they've watched one of the professional voice actors series.

Of course you don't. Some of the great DMs started playing and DMing as 12 year olds. People can learn the game together. But that doesn't overcome that problem that nobody wants to be in the hot seat. Heck, some people play for years and are still afraid to DM. So even if you have the ideal situation of 5 people who know each other, have compatible schedules, and all want to play the same kind of game it still might not happen because nobody feels competent to take the referee role. It's a serious barrier to entry.

e: So a game without the DM problem might be better at converting computer game players to source game players. Of course other games have their own barriers to entry.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 29, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Or just make a game that people actually want to DM. Common criticism of 5e is that it's basically unfinished and makes the DM do half the work of the designers as well as everything else.

And I'd imagine you wouldn't want to work with a company that's just fired literally everyone who worked with you before, because there's infinite things that can and usually do go wrong with a continued partnership when your partner can no longer be trusted to act sensible, sane or reliable. Especially when they have the corporate raider disease. Imagine having to throw out months to years of work because they decided to redo their entire setting or some poo poo.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Facebook Aunt posted:

There is still the problem with DnD that people think they need a good experienced dungeon master. And new players may be reluctant to be the dungeon master if their only experience is a videogame. Maybe even worse if they've watched one of the professional voice actors series.

Of course you don't. Some of the great DMs started playing and DMing as 12 year olds. People can learn the game together. But that doesn't overcome that problem that nobody wants to be in the hot seat. Heck, some people play for years and are still afraid to DM. So even if you have the ideal situation of 5 people who know each other, have compatible schedules, and all want to play the same kind of game it still might not happen because nobody feels competent to take the referee role. It's a serious barrier to entry.

e: So a game without the DM problem might be better at converting computer game players to source game players. Of course other games have their own barriers to entry.

Amusingly that's not even the main problem. The main problem seems to be that the game they get when buying 5E isn't the game you play in BG3, which is mostly different from BG1/2, because there you got the effing Player's Handbook in Miniature Form as the manual and with 5E fighters begin at "this is boring" and "why can't my druid wildshape into something cool" etc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or just make a game that people actually want to DM. Common criticism of 5e is that it's basically unfinished and makes the DM do half the work of the designers as well as everything else.

Yeah. Last year I decided I wanted to play pathfinder not DnD, but couldn't find a pathfinder game. So I started a pathfinder table at a local community center game night. I had played a total of 20 hours of pathfinder before becoming a GM. The pathfinder Beginner Box acts as a tutorial level for both the players and GM. Everything you need to play to level 2 is there including maps and tokens, with all the rules you need to take those characters to level 4. Pretty easy even with no pathfinder experience.

I haven't tried it but I've heard the DnD starter set is not so useful.

A module, a mini rulebook, a set of dice, and a set of character sheets. Everything you need to start, as long as you are happy with theatre of the mind.

A module, mini players guide and mini GM guide, a set of multi-color dice (so you can tell a confused player "no that's the d8, the d10 is the green one", a set of character sheets (which also have a helpful dice guide on them telling you the d10 is the green one), a laminated set of quick reference cards that tell you what you can do on a turn and what the effects of common conditions like grabbed do, a big double sided map, and 108 cardboard player and monster tokens. (Some of the monster tokens are not used in the adventure, they are there to help new GMs make their own adventures.)

Somehow the pathfinder box costs twice as much but still seems like a better value.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Hasbro Stock Falls as Sales Sink, and the Toy Maker Warns of More Declines Ahead

quote:

Hasbro (HAS) shares tumbled over 6% in early trading Tuesday as the toy giant reported its revenue plunged and warned of slowing demand amid difficult economic conditions.

The maker of G.I. Joe and Star Wars toys posted an unadjusted loss of $7.64 per share for the fourth quarter, compared to a loss of 93 cents a year ago. Adjusted earnings per share (EPS) came in at 38 cents, well short of forecasts. Revenue sank 23% from a year earlier to $1.29 billion.

Sales at the company’s Entertainment segment cratered 49%, and sales at its Consumer Products unit were down 25%. Hasbro noted sales in its Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming segment grew 7%.

CEO Chris Cocks said Hasbro faced a “challenging 2023,” and added that despite a difficult macroeconomic environment, the company is beginning 2024 “with a healthier balance sheet, a leaner cost structure, and a diverse portfolio of industry-leading toy and game brands that support our capacity to invest in the business and maintain our commitment to returning cash to shareholders via our category-leading dividend.”

Hasbro said it anticipates full-year revenue for its Consumer Products unit falling 7% to 12%, with pro-forma Entertainment segment sales down $15 million, and revenue for the Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming segment sliding 3% to 5%. The company added that it has boosted its planned cost cuts by the end of 2025 to $750 million per year from the previous target of $350 million to $400 million per year.

Shares of Hasbro were 6.9% lower at $47.71 per share as of about 11:50 a.m. ET Tuesday. They've lost more than 18% of their value over the past year.

I would say they are doomed, and someone's going to end up buying WotC within 5 years, Who will it be? Disney? Amazon? Apple? Warner Brothers? None of them will know what to do with it, and burn it or let it decay worse than Hasbro has.

My guess is Disney. Worse case would be Apple who just want "content". At least with Disney we might get a Dungeons and Dragons ride to go on. And then a movie based on the ride. And then a cartoon based on the movie based on the ride. And the kids will get home.

No wonder Larian didn't want anything to do with them. The'll be dead before they would finish Baldurs Gate 4. And then cancelled before completion.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 29, 2024

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

neonchameleon posted:

I think you're confusing the Blood Angels (who I'm pretty sure do get faction rules) with the Bloody Magpies/Blood Ravens. But if they'd written a codex they might have had to answer which chapter they were a successor to...

Yeah, I meant the Blood Ravens there. It's legitimately shocking they never went "you like these guys? Play 'em on the table!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Besides we're almost positive the blood ravens are thousands sons stock, right?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't see Larian's decision as oracular or suspicious. If Larian sticks with its own IP, D&D's quadratic wizards aren't around to make good higher level play harder to develop (i.e. facilitating downstream content that can re-use some assets and tools). Critically, they also become the IP licensor rather than the licensee for media rights. Licensing dollars were a life preserver for Cyberpunk 2020 when it was still trash garbage. The Witcher, Cyberpunk, and Fallout all jumped to The Other Screen.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Comstar posted:

I would say they are doomed, and someone's going to end up buying WotC within 5 years, Who will it be? Disney? Amazon? Apple? Warner Brothers? None of them will know what to do with it, and burn it or let it decay worse than Hasbro has.

My guess would be some private equity firm no one's ever heard of. But at the same point, I cannot imagine a PE firm looking at WotC and saying "Oh yeah, they're totally undervalued and leaving money on the table."

FWIW: Hasbro is down -33.5% in the last 5 years, while PEJ is up 7.6%, VIMAX is up 55.5%, and the S&P500 at large is up 85.5%. According to some random website it's one of the 25 worst performers, along companies like Boeing and Warner Bros Discovery.

As ever, lol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buy the dip!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Besides we're almost positive the blood ravens are thousands sons stock, right?

There's a good case for Word Bearers rather than Thousand Sons
  • They recruit from the planets Cyrene and Aurelia in the Aurelia sub-sector. The Word Bearers primarch was Lorgar Aurelian - and then there's Cyrene Valantion
  • They, like the Word Bearers, and unlike the Thousand Sons have flawed catalepsean nodes - and don't have Thousand Sons flesh change
  • "Knowledge is power. It must be well guarded." - Erebus, First Chaplain of the Word Bearers
  • General fanaticism
  • The Word Bearers rather than the Thousand Suns being chosen as the opposition, and Eliphas's taunts of "brother".
  • The Word Bearers might be short on psykers, but that was because they put them all into one company - which didn't fall. Guess why the Blood Ravens have so many...

My Doylist take is that they were drawing on both. And that GW would never officially put out anything saying "yes they are this chapter" because it will disappoint some people. So they deliberately scattered clues to two traitor legions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If I remember something else from recently, GW made like 460m pounds, which google tells me is about $580m USD.

Perhaps D&D 6E needs a miniatures line?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah. Last year I decided I wanted to play pathfinder not DnD, but couldn't find a pathfinder game. So I started a pathfinder table at a local community center game night. I had played a total of 20 hours of pathfinder before becoming a GM. The pathfinder Beginner Box acts as a tutorial level for both the players and GM. Everything you need to play to level 2 is there including maps and tokens, with all the rules you need to take those characters to level 4. Pretty easy even with no pathfinder experience.

I haven't tried it but I've heard the DnD starter set is not so useful.

A module, a mini rulebook, a set of dice, and a set of character sheets. Everything you need to start, as long as you are happy with theatre of the mind.

A module, mini players guide and mini GM guide, a set of multi-color dice (so you can tell a confused player "no that's the d8, the d10 is the green one", a set of character sheets (which also have a helpful dice guide on them telling you the d10 is the green one), a laminated set of quick reference cards that tell you what you can do on a turn and what the effects of common conditions like grabbed do, a big double sided map, and 108 cardboard player and monster tokens. (Some of the monster tokens are not used in the adventure, they are there to help new GMs make their own adventures.)

Somehow the pathfinder box costs twice as much but still seems like a better value.

The 5E starter set has been updated twice with new adventures that improve on the onboarding process. The latter adventures aren't as good as the Lost Mine of Phandelver.

I just completed the PF2E beginner box - which is fine, and where it really does a disservice is with the pregens.

There's no real or even casual link between the pregens and the adventure that engages the players. (Like really, all the weird shrines on the first level and none of them are the cleric pregen's faith?). Additionally, there are magic weapons that none of the pregens use.

Additionally, the pregens are kind of trash. How do you make a cleric with no ranged attack and ask a new player to enjoy the game?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Having each die type in a different color should be the rule for any game on the market with dice in the box. If you're an RPG gamehaver who's about to teach, the ideal situation is to have many different colors and styles of each die type. Players with any kind of color vision deficiency can pick the dice they themselves can most easily differentiate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nessus posted:

If I remember something else from recently, GW made like 460m pounds, which google tells me is about $580m USD.

Perhaps D&D 6E needs a miniatures line?

I think they already tried this -- every hobby and gaming store I've been in in recent memory has piles of 5E-branded minis.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think they already tried this -- every hobby and gaming store I've been in in recent memory has piles of 5E-branded minis.

They do have a minis line. The quality is terrible, which is probably why I never see anyone using them.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
people had STRONG opinions before dnd started pretending that miniatures are optional
also the frameworks line was and still is too expensive. 50 bucks for 7 kobolds? and they don't even LOOK that fresh??

edit: the nulzers line is also not very good, but it is cheap enough to justify an impulse purchase at the checkout line

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 29, 2024

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

My guess would be some private equity firm no one's ever heard of. But at the same point, I cannot imagine a PE firm looking at WotC and saying "Oh yeah, they're totally undervalued and leaving money on the table."

FWIW: Hasbro is down -33.5% in the last 5 years, while PEJ is up 7.6%, VIMAX is up 55.5%, and the S&P500 at large is up 85.5%. According to some random website it's one of the 25 worst performers, along companies like Boeing and Warner Bros Discovery.

As ever, lol.

Hasbro has a lot going against it. Star Wars and Marvel movies either don't exist, or aren't moving toys like they used to. Nerf doesn't bring in the numbers it once did. People got sick of Transformers movies, and all their other movie projects have been bombs. They bought Power Rangers, but didn't really know what to do with it. They bought eOne for $4 billion, put them in charge of many of their media projects. Then reversed course and sold off most of eOne for much less than they spent on it.

Disney is probably waiting for the stock price to crater some more, and buy it cheap.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I'd imagine you wouldn't want to work with a company that's just fired literally everyone who worked with you before, because there's infinite things that can and usually do go wrong with a continued partnership when your partner can no longer be trusted to act sensible, sane or reliable. Especially when they have the corporate raider disease. Imagine having to throw out months to years of work because they decided to redo their entire setting or some poo poo.

This. I had absolutely zero fear of dropping a new DM into Pathfinder 1e, for example, because everything was there to be able to plug and play. They just needed to come up with some concepts and sketch a map, the rest can be plugged in from flipping through the monster manual and picking a few things that look fun and on theme.

Other games that actually took some design space for making GMing easy or unnecessary are vastly better.

Magnetic North posted:

Maybe we'll get something unexpectedly hilarious, like Topps (the baseball card company) owning the Shadowrun and Battletech rights.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bee posted:

Yeah, I meant the Blood Ravens there. It's legitimately shocking they never went "you like these guys? Play 'em on the table!"

They never discouraged that, one of the Space Marines codexes that was infamously clearly an Ultramarines codex they shoved other chapters into at the last minute had create-a-chapter rules with combinations clearly designed to evoke certain chapters that there weren't dedicated codexes for, and the Blood Ravens were one of the example chapters with art and all.

Comstar posted:

No wonder Larian didn't want anything to do with them. The'll be dead before they would finish Baldurs Gate 4. And then cancelled before completion.

Also yeah, this. Either they're gonna gently caress around with the license at every step, gonna die before the game comes out and probably pull it, or likely both.

Also kinda lol if Disney buys them, can't wait to see how they manage to gently caress up Transformers. And probably somehow also My Little Pony.