Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Morrow posted:

The Trump Legal Troubles thread in Debate and Discussion had a derail related to Pact of the Blade Warlocks.

Can you link where that started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
If anyone here likes to draw in black and white, ARC DREAM put out a call for artists to work on their upcoming Black Company RPG

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cynthia Williams just resigned from WoTC, effective April 26th. This is a ridiculously short amount of time for an executive, especially since it reads as her choice.

https://investor.hasbro.com/node/36526/html

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Thanlis posted:

Cynthia Williams just resigned from WoTC, effective April 26th. This is a ridiculously short amount of time for an executive, especially since it reads as her choice.

I suspect a health issue or family crisis. Even getting shitcanned takes longer than that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or a total loss of confidence in hasbro and an unwillingness to do what they want her to do (deliver more with less funding)? That's 100% speculation but it's very unusual indeed for a president to resign so quickly.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
And D&D sees another Williams woman fall....

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Leperflesh posted:

Or a total loss of confidence in hasbro and an unwillingness to do what they want her to do (deliver more with less funding)? That's 100% speculation but it's very unusual indeed for a president to resign so quickly.
I think it's common for leaders hired to do "organizational turnaround" to have short tenures. Show up, fire a bunch of people, cut costs, bail out with a golden parachute. The stock price goes up and the next CEO who comes in to "set things right" looks good by comparison.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
She's been in the position a little over 2 years, I think. But according to the filing, she gave less than 2 weeks notice. Assuming that's accurate, it seems to point to a personal issue, scandal, or her being pissed off.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Halloween Jack posted:

She's been in the position a little over 2 years, I think. But according to the filing, she gave less than 2 weeks notice. Assuming that's accurate, it seems to point to a personal issue, scandal, or her being pissed off.

Or she got a new job.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Dexo posted:

Or she got a new job.

Eh, even corporate executives give two weeks' notice as a courtesy. To do otherwise without a crisis at hand is absolutely a bridge burning move.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

She just got tired of the dudes working there saying "oh you're the CEO of WOTC? Name every orc."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Thanlis posted:

The quarterly earnings come out on April 24th, lol. Sincerely doubt it's her choice.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
My last job had a 2 month notice period as a senior manager, 2 weeks at her level is wild.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Dexo posted:

Or she got a new job.

Internal memo said this is the reason but it is sudden and comes not long after the HR head resigned as well

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Solus posted:

My last job had a 2 month notice period as a senior manager, 2 weeks at her level is wild.

In the US? I try to give 3-4 weeks notice as a senior paper pusher / toucher of computer stuff which is unheard of in the US and seen as the norm for my UK / IRE bosses.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

theironjef posted:

She just got tired of the dudes working there saying "oh you're the CEO of WOTC? Name every orc."

Whitney Houston
wait what are we doing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The quarterly earnings come out on April 24th, lol. Sincerely doubt it's her choice.

The disclosure form is probably better to file before rather than after the earnings report, because the earnings report is supposed to disclose material information and "We knew she was resigning but didn't say so when we reported our earnings" could be a no-no under various weirdo SEC rules.

IOW I don't think we can use this bit of information - that Hasbro is disclosing her having given notice now, in advance of earnings - as evidence that she was fired or that she quit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I dunno. Based on my own corporate experience you get your earnings reports together about 2 - 4 weeks before the quarterly call. You're absolutely right that I can't say with definitive proof "WotC took a dump and she's been sacrificed to the investor gods" but all the timings are lining up the right way.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

There are none of the usual signals: “spending more time with her family.” Also the filing says she informed them. This isn’t someone getting fired; it could possibly be someone who was told to do a thing and decided not to do it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, I see what you mean Megaman. Generally you don't want to be filing a form 8-K like one week after your earnings, but you're saying in advance of bad earnings, Hasbro wants to have all the bad news on the table including "we fired the president" at the same time. That said, they didn't literally fire her, although demanding a resignation is a thing too. But it's very hard to simultaneously claim that you fired her for performance but also that she quit and totally wasn't fired, honest.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The CEO AND the head of HR quit the same month? Sounds like a scandal is coming very shortly.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Comstar posted:

The CEO AND the head of HR quit the same month? Sounds like a scandal is coming very shortly.

She's just the head of a subsidiary, not CEO (Although the memo makes it out like she's leaving to become a CEO elsewhere), but it is still interesting timing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah her title is President.

Part of the reason Hasbro could offer her to resign instead of publicly firing her is the same reason she would probably not be public with reasons why she's quitting if she's doing that: burning bridges goes both ways, Hasbro will need to fill her position and publicly burning the previous person does not help with your hiring effort.

There are exceptions, surprisingly quite a lot of them, but the normal thing to do at this corporate level is to put on a public face of amicability by both parties and that is what I am expecting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I dunno. Based on my own corporate experience you get your earnings reports together about 2 - 4 weeks before the quarterly call. You're absolutely right that I can't say with definitive proof "WotC took a dump and she's been sacrificed to the investor gods" but all the timings are lining up the right way.

lol if you’re not tweaking the earnings report right until the CFO’s assistant dials the speakerphone into the voice bridge

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So which "scandals" were under her tenure? MTG 30th Anniversary proxies, Pinkertons, the whole D&D Beyond and licensing thing, the WOTC people that helped interact with Larian to make an ultra successful game that got shitcanned,

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah her title is President.

Part of the reason Hasbro could offer her to resign instead of publicly firing her is the same reason she would probably not be public with reasons why she's quitting if she's doing that: burning bridges goes both ways, Hasbro will need to fill her position and publicly burning the previous person does not help with your hiring effort.

There are exceptions, surprisingly quite a lot of them, but the normal thing to do at this corporate level is to put on a public face of amicability by both parties and that is what I am expecting.

108% odds her severance comes with a non-disparagement, mutual if her employment lawyer is any good

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Embracer is splitting into three companies: Asmodee Group, “Coffee Stain & Friends”and “Middle-earth Enterprises & Friends”.

https://embracer.com/releases/embra...sdaq-stockholm/

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CitizenKeen posted:

Embracer is splitting into three companies: Asmodee Group, “Coffee Stain & Friends”and “Middle-earth Enterprises & Friends”.

I'm no expert, but it's interesting to see that Asmodee has the lowest headcount and the highest net sales. Though the EBITDA is better on the others, perhaps because 'amortization' likely includes things like recurring microtransactions and subscriptions which video games have found more viable for many reasons. I dunno, just kinda spitballing here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CitizenKeen posted:

whoever workshopped these names needs to uh, workshop them a bit more.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah the names are absolutely miserable, especially since they still have THQ Nordic kicking around which was a respected name before they decided to turn into an all consuming amoeba.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanlis posted:

This isn’t someone getting fired; it could possibly be someone who was told to do a thing and decided not to do it.

We just had someone fairly high up in leadership in my group have their departure announced with no notice; they'll be on PTO for what would normally be a notice period. Apparently there was a difference of opinion on strategy, and they must have felt very strongly about it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Bottom Liner posted:

whoever workshopped these names needs to uh, workshop them a bit more.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah the names are absolutely miserable, especially since they still have THQ Nordic kicking around which was a respected name before they decided to turn into an all consuming amoeba.

Did you miss this part?

quote:

[1] Official name will be decided at a later stage.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Coffee Stain had the incredible fortune to publish Deep Rock Galactic, which has become a massive success. I assume that's why they chose that foot to put forward instead of THQ Nordic for their modest studio.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hel posted:

Did you miss this part?

buddy, do you think i'm reading a press release from embracer instead of just mocking the headline?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

quote:

As part of the Asmodee separation process, Embracer Group has, through Asmodee Group, entered into a new financing agreement amounting to EUR 900 million. The proceeds from the financing are used to repay existing debt and reduce leverage in the remaining Embracer Group. As announced today and further detailed in a separate press release available at embracer.com/investors.

As part of the transformation and ahead of each separation the full capital structure, including both equity and debt, will be reviewed in Asmodee and “Coffee Stain & Friends” to create the best possible long-term foundation for each entity as a separately listed company.

Didn't realize Embracer was studying 18XX games so hard

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

18xx is borderline idealistic compared to late-stage capitalism.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Bottom Liner posted:

buddy, do you think i'm reading a press release from embracer instead of just mocking the headline?
  • Hugs up 7.2%
  • Snuggles expected to increase following mass layoffs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

admanb posted:

18xx is borderline idealistic compared to late-stage capitalism.

I got one of those games and maybe one day I'll play it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This basically means Asmodee gets all of the debt from the restructuring while the others don't, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yep. The old Toys R Us maneuver.