Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Context: Warhammer recently posted that Custodes [sic?] do/did include women, and this has caused some parts of the hobby to go full Sephiroth.

quote:

https://twitter.com/AngryMinis/status/1781899115103690921

This betrayal of the lore, the IP, and catering to the woke mob, or even allowing it to infiltrate past the perimeter of decency & fandom, is our Isstvan III, crafted without our knowledge, & those who were blocked for speaking out, cowardly stabbed in the back. (2/8)

Right now, we are engaged in our own Isstvan V, but just like in the "lore" we will not be defeated, & those who side with Horus (the woke) they will be. Will it be at a great cost? Most likely, the possible fall of the IP. It will be tragic, but until people stand up...(3/8)

...making their voices heard by securing their wallets in a tesseract vault, & like the Charcharadons, improvising to find new ways to continue the fight in the deepest depths of space, the hobby, it does not die within or for us, just the IP, & the damage will be great...(4/8)

Like a withering tendril of a hive fleet cut off in Ork controlled space.....So the eternal watch & crusade begins, as WE, the Black Shields, hold the line against the woke, a cancerous tumor, even the Forces of Chaos loathe & barely observe with disgust. (5/8)

Enjoy your current purchases, 3D print or buy from those who do, purchase used minis on Ebay or other places, but do not give to the company that just smacked in the face, every one of you loyal hobbyists, who got them where they are today. (6/8)

This treachery was not a gate being breached, just an "Erebus" like cancer that was already there. Care not for the woke trolls, & the boot lickers as they cling to their so called "victory". Let the shareholders see, what is really going on, and make your voices heard. (7/8)

For the Watch is Eternal, so never forget this treachery, and give "No mercy for pledge-breakers and cowards!" (Warhammer Official "quote" 4/21/24) (8/8)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Xelkelvos posted:

This basically means Asmodee gets all of the debt from the restructuring while the others don't, right?

Yep:
https://www.wargamer.com/board-games-publisher-asmodee-900-million-debt

quote:

Embracer saddles Asmodee with €900 million debt, cuts it loose

Game industry investor Embracer Group has wiped old debts with a loan secured on Asmodee assets - now it’s splitting into three new companies.

Investment firm Embracer Group has announced plans to separate into three distinct companies; the industry-leading board game publisher and distributor Asmodee, which Embracer acquired in 2022, will be the kernel of one of these successors. However, Asmodee is leaving the investment group with some baggage: Embracer has secured $958 million (€900 million) of loans against Asmodee’s assets.

The loan will be used to refinance Embracer’s existing $733 million debts, which needs to be repaid by February 2025, and to shrink the group’s “revolving credit facilities” (the corporate equivalent of an overdraft) by $92 million. “The loan is ringfenced with no recourse to Embracer Group… it is only secured by Asmodee assets”, according to Embracer’s press release, meaning only the board game publisher will be liable for repayments.

RIP the dried husk of Fantasy Flight Games plus a ton of other major board games under Asmodee.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yep:
https://www.wargamer.com/board-games-publisher-asmodee-900-million-debt

RIP the dried husk of Fantasy Flight Games plus a ton of other major board games under Asmodee.

Love that this is not only legal, but actively incentivised by market structures.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Context: Warhammer recently posted that Custodes [sic?] do/did include women, and this has caused some parts of the hobby to go full Sephiroth.

This is some of the lamest bullshit I've seen in a while and yes my monitor is on.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Captain Theron posted:

Love that this is not only legal, but actively incentivised by market structures.

I was just thinking it's beautiful to see a real person exercising their rights as an actual person that exists.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I ain't reading any of that, evolve or die you scrub.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

quote:

This treachery was not a gate being breached, just an "Erebus" like cancer that was already there. Care not for the woke trolls, & the boot lickers as they cling to their so called "victory". Let the shareholders see, what is really going on, and make your voices heard. (7/8)

This is always the best part, since a sizeable chunk of the culture war goobers here didn't play 40k in the first place, and a sizeable chunk of the remainder do but haven't bought a new model since 1990, and a sizeable chunk of the remainder of that will pledge to boycott whatever and then immediately pull out their wallet when they next release a "Black Library Presents: The Blood Blooders: Primaris ExtraDeathion" or whatever, they have basically no chance to visibly adjust any sales metric at all.

So what will happen then? Quiet fadeout? Goalpost shift? I saw chuds claiming BG3 wasn't woke recently because even though everyone in it is queer as hell and it has trans characters with trans voice actors and all it "doesn't insist on it" or some poo poo, so goalpost poo poo feels likely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That’s not even close to the funniest responses. The best one I saw last week was an entirely unironic “YOU CANT JUST CHANGE YOUR OWN FICTION LIKE THAT” :lol:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like it's not even a significant change. The reason given for no girl space marines has always been that they're templated off the primaches, who are all dudes. The custodes are each a custom job, no reason they can't be women, same for any thunder warriors still knocking around.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I eagerly await the meltdowns we get for full female space marines

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Somebody needs to find this guy a locker and then put him in it.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Like it's not even a significant change. The reason given for no girl space marines has always been that they're templated off the primaches, who are all dudes. The custodes are each a custom job, no reason they can't be women, same for any thunder warriors still knocking around.

Thank you for this because I’ve been thinking this was the case since the whole thing came up but couldn’t bring myself to type out a question.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Watching them load up Asmodee with unserviceable debt like a Viking longship with a dead king in it is something else.

I’m relishing my last few Arkham Horror sets.
Also, Star Wars Unlimited is going to last even less time than I predicted.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I wonder what the end result will be. The individual publishers themselves will clearly not exist, but I don't really care that the box says "Z-Man" or "Prospero Hall" on the side as much as I care about the availability of the game itself. The designers can go to other existing publishers and any IP with legs will probably get picked up by someone in the fire sale. This is unlike something like No One Lives Forever which is in all sorts of licensing hell. As for other sections, BGA will probably find a home since it's a service with customers, Miniature Market has already been spun off. I'm not saying it will be good, but it's possible that board gaming might be slightly better suited to weather this disaster than video gaming.That's not why these ghouls are doing it, of course.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
RIP Armada I guess?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you get this mad about women being introduced to a game i think you need to be put through a Maoist struggle session this is embarrassing to the point where government intervention is needed

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why do these guys always write at a 7th grade level?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

alg posted:

that would imply they're slightly more literate than the average american

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ominous Jazz posted:

if you get this mad about women being introduced to a game i think you need to be put through a Maoist struggle session this is embarrassing to the point where government intervention is needed

I guarantee you someone like this and maybe even this exact guy said the same poo poo when more femme models were introduced where they had already been established in the lore. They say that the lore change of "they've always been there" is this great crime, but of course a) lmao 40k has gone through much bigger changes over the years and 2) no it isn't who cares. These guys have been whining about whatever the SJW menace was called any given decade since before Warhammer existed.

Which is to say I agree with you.

alg posted:

Just mirroring the property they're mad about.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

7th grade level of we're lucky.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

HidaO-Win posted:

Watching them load up Asmodee with unserviceable debt like a Viking longship with a dead king in it is something else.

What games and series can we expect to be killed as a result of this?

Wondering if there's any I need to pick up now before they are gone.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s not even close to the funniest responses. The best one I saw last week was an entirely unironic “YOU CANT JUST CHANGE YOUR OWN FICTION LIKE THAT” :lol:

Surely these goobers had an even bigger meltdown when GW retconned everything about the Necrons, right? :downs:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Comstar posted:

What games and series can we expect to be killed as a result of this?

Wondering if there's any I need to pick up now before they are gone.

You can look it up here, but its a surprisingly large amount of subsidiaries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmodee

Days of Wonder, FFG, Atomic Mass Games, Catan, Z-Man Games, Edge Entertainment are all stand outs.

So Heat, Arkham Horror LCG, Star Wars Unlimited, X-Wing, Legion, Shatterpoint, Marvel Crisis Protocol, Settlers of Catan, L5R RPG, Pandemic, Love Letter, Carcassonne are all potentially in trouble.

They might slide through this, but if anything is on your must play list…have a think.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

i just want to slap this dude repeatedly across the face whilst screaming "FOR FUCKS SAKE!' at him.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

gradenko_2000 posted:

Go outside, touch some grass.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cessna posted:

Go outside, touch some grass.

What if it’s girl grass?!!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

HidaO-Win posted:

So Heat, Arkham Horror LCG, Star Wars Unlimited, X-Wing, Legion, Shatterpoint, Marvel Crisis Protocol, Settlers of Catan, L5R RPG, Pandemic, Love Letter, Carcassonne are all potentially in trouble.

This isn't really how it typically works with board games unless intellectual property or in-house ownership of a design stands in the way. Most designers are independent, so they can typically bring it to another publisher later even if something else might prevent the original publishing (see Dune becoming Rex back in the day). The art assets are owned by the publisher, so that will change if someone else picks it up. So if you really love a specific edition such as the Days of Wonder Colosseum, that can be an inconvenience. Sometimes they work it out, like 3rd (FFG) and 4th (Wizkids) editions of Fury of Dracula (from Games Workshop) using the same art.

Or they can bring out a spiritual successor, such as Heat: Pedal to the Metal being a follow up on Flamme Rouge but with Days of Wonder (under Asmodee) instead of Stronghold (now merged with Indie Boards and Cards).

So, FFG's internal designs might get lost forever, but Seiji Kanai can get someone else to publish Love Letter. In fact, they already did. They were through AEG for a long while before moving to Z-Man under Asmodee. The specifics will depend on each contract, so it's impossible to say anything specifically is or isn't safe. Things like Glory To Rome or Forbidden Stars being rendered unprintable are the vast minority.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Armada was already kind of spotty on its availability after everything got rearranged so I imagine this will only make it worse. I guess I'm glad I didn't get started collecting already and was only contemplating it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
AMG's stewardship of the star wars games was very perfunctory anyway, it was the price they had to pay to make their own star wars game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'm assuming complex mold production stuff like the Marvel and Star Wars mini games are probably the most likely to rapidly die. Shame, they both had some pretty cool looking models.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm not worried about Star Wars: Unlimited getting shuttered, I'm worried about it getting enshitified. It's straight printing money and competitive events are starting to bring in players from other games. IIRC (I might be misquoting, not going to go back through a stream), it's FFG's most successful (profitable?) product (product launch?) in its history. It's the most something in FFG's history; it blew through their most "magical wonderland" starry-eyed predictions.

I'm more worried it'll become like Magic. Right now it's power curve is reasonably flat against rarity, it's easy to get into. I'm worried it'll become a cash grab and just kinda lovely.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

While it's definitely poo poo to see the company saddling one subsidary with all the debt, the total sales numbers suggest it can actually support that level of debt. Many financially healthy companies with 2B in revenues support 900M in financed debt. A lot depends on the details that we don't have yet. I agree that it's a good idea to grab any games you want to own that might go temporarily out of print or change publishers and therefore art assets etc. but it is IMO premature to predict the death of that company or the majority of its properties.

Star wars in particular is a valuable license and I could easily see it as a top priority to retain.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Those licenses have got to be a killer. I know a bit about the Star Wars license and both WoTC and Games Workshop passed on it before it went to FFG. The terms are rather extortionate and I can't imagine that the Marvel license is much better. When the current Star Wars games die, I think it will be a while before anything new comes out since people either don't want to deal with The Mouse or the associated fuckery of having a license that 'big'.

It is probably in the other CCGs thread, but wasn't someone friends with a developer on Star Wars Unlimited and they said they were front-loading the design to have like nine sets ready to go? Still think that that is upper levels knowing that there was going to be some studio closure fuckery happening, but wanted to maintain the cash flow as long as projected.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Leperflesh posted:

While it's definitely poo poo to see the company saddling one subsidary with all the debt, the total sales numbers suggest it can actually support that level of debt. Many financially healthy companies with 2B in revenues support 900M in financed debt. A lot depends on the details that we don't have yet. I agree that it's a good idea to grab any games you want to own that might go temporarily out of print or change publishers and therefore art assets etc. but it is IMO premature to predict the death of that company or the majority of its properties.

Star wars in particular is a valuable license and I could easily see it as a top priority to retain.

Yeah, without digging too far into the financials, the total debt according to that link was somewhere around paying off the debt completely from EBITDA (profits not including interest, taxes and General Accounting Bullshit) in 4-5 years. So unless Asmodee has to pay it off completely in 5 years, it'll just be a bad time for innovation and growth.

It's still terrible and should probably be illegal, but I'd say it is more likely than not that Asmodee is going to survive this debt barring some major future clownery.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I know a bit about the Star Wars license and both WoTC and Games Workshop passed on it before it went to FFG. The terms are rather extortionate and I can't imagine that the Marvel license is much better.

Funny, I seem to recall the same being said of the 40k license for the Universes Beyond 40k such that MTG ended up with a pittance since the terms were so excruciating, but I don't know if that was actually true. I can't find anything with a web search now so it might have been haters (like me) talking poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are plenty of companies that carry more than a year's sales (not profits, but gross revenue) in debt, more or less permanently. Capital-intensive companies more commonly. Like manufacturing and stuff. That doesn't mean it's nothing, but the debt is financed and all the company really actually has to pay is the interest. For higher margin companies that can be trivial, for very low margin companies it can be crippling, and I expect for a game publishing company it's somewhere in between. Investors don't necessarily want profits to go just to reduce debt if the financing hit is relatively low... they want growth, and many companies grow by taking on and rolling forward debt so they can focus capital on R&D, expanding markets, acquisitions, etc.

I think just as big a deal is the reorganization and what that implies. It's likely that some entire teams get just moved over and continue business as usual, but some level of disruption of reporting structures and management is likely inevitable and that will affect product lines for sure.

There may actually be improvements too. Like part of the point of this is to shove debt into one company, but part of it is to create companies that can be more focused on their particular industry and that can mean more attention and focus at the executive level on specific game lines, to their benefit. Potentially. I'm not holding my breath, but it can happen. When your execs don't really understand what your little team does, you're more likely to be cut, or to be told to do things that don't make sense.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I'd rather get the $900B debt over no debt... it’ll make me hustle harder, idk... maybe I’m just built different :shrug:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Same, I'd love to be $900 billion in debt. There's no way I don't walk out of that situation with more money than I have now.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Magnetic North posted:

Funny, I seem to recall the same being said of the 40k license for the Universes Beyond 40k
Can't say that is surprising, they would have learned from the best at how to best extract blood from a stone. I could also see WoTC being big enough that the executive board at the time would have wanted to twist the knife as much as they could. Still want to ask around and get the story on how that partnership even got started.

Another 'fun' wrinkle to this that I think I saw in the Verge article is that Asmodee (and Coffee Stain) are going to be publicly traded. A bunch of debt that they may or may not be crippled with, licenses, AND shareholders do not instill me with confidence. Good luck with all that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

I'd rather get the $900B debt over no debt... it’ll make me hustle harder, idk... maybe I’m just built different :shrug:

haha it's 900M though, not 900B

Halloween Jack posted:

Same, I'd love to be $900 billion in debt. There's no way I don't walk out of that situation with more money than I have now.

I know this is just joking but lots of people don't really understand "how can debt be good" and the basic premise of capitalist corporations is that they have a profitable use for other people's money. If they didn't, they should close. If you do have a profitable use for money, that implies that borrowing more money lets you generate more profits. If your profit margin is higher than the interest rate, anyway.

The more complicated answer is that most companies only have so much they can do with money that is within their own wheelhouse/expertise and can generate profits. Companies that have more money than they can practically invest, should return that money to the shareholders, and many do via dividends or share buybacks. Some expand into new areas by purchasing other companies. Some just sit on the money, and when they do that they are subject to criticism by their shareholders.

Under this paradigm, anyway, debt is a tool for maximizing profits by taking maximal advantage of business opportunities that are expected to be profitable. It is not good to just be shoved 900M of debt you didn't incur, that's kinda bullshit how this is allowed to be done, but having done so what I am getting at is just that it's not a given that 900M in debt is crippling for a multibillion dollar company.

At 8% interest that's 72M in interest annually. For a company with 2B in profits, that's 3.6% of their profits going to interest. It's not nothing, but it's also not going to radically alter the business's viability.