Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nifara posted:

Kevin Crawford is, in my eyes, the uncontested champion of RPG kickstarters. The man never misses a beat and even if you're not someone who goes for his stuff normally you have to admit it's superbly and expertly done, with solid production values and, yes, delivers ahead of schedule.

There's literally no one else I can think of who I can say all of those things about. If he ran a course on how to be a consummate professional in the field of RPG kickstarter delivery I'd sign up immediately.

John Wick has impressed me with 7th Sea 2, as well.

I don't like some of his mechanics choices, but the products are showing up on time and well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

Paizo is a successful RPG company and they're also something of an outlier these days, they aren't a model that anyone else can really hope to replicate since a fair chunk of their success is largely due to unique circumstances.

Every successful RPG company has unique circumstances. Only one company got to sign Eastman & Laird before they were millionaires. Only one company figured out how to get punks with literal mohawks to color in multiple-choice character tests. Only one company had just gotten enough money from colored cardboard to buy out TSR when they were failing. I'm not sure that's a meaningful statement. Every exceptional success is an exception by definition.

Mors Rattus posted:

No one has hard data on Paizo sales of anything, ever, because Paizo doesn't publish that data.

They sold several thousand copies of Starfinger at GenCon, at least based on statements they made.

senrath posted:

Pretty sure it was just that ARB typoed it once and it stuck.

I just kept doing it as a typo behind the scenes and was like "You know, there's no way that's any stupider than Starfinder, so to heck with it." I understand why they named it that, but, wow, that's an cringeworthy compound designed for brand recognition and literally nothing else. It really is pretty appalling. Starfinger is better. Never say I didn't do Paizo any favors.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Slimnoid posted:

Their business is build on attracting 3.x grogs, who are very sensitive to change, so yeah Paizo's likely to shrink with their market while pumping out a half-dozen iterations of a 15-year-old system.
3.x grogs are very sensitive to change, but they're also very willing to insist that massive changes are actually the true historical way it's always been, if they're presented right. It happened once before, it can happen again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Every successful RPG company has unique circumstances. Only one company got to sign Eastman & Laird before they were millionaires. Only one company figured out how to get punks with literal mohawks to color in multiple-choice character tests. Only one company had just gotten enough money from colored cardboard to buy out TSR when they were failing. I'm not sure that's a meaningful statement. Every exceptional success is an exception by definition.

My point is that Paizo can get away with having a more traditional, older style business model of having full time employees, an actual headquarters, etc. because of the circumstances surrounding their establishment as a breakaway RPG publisher. The post which kicked off this tangent about what constitutes a successful RPG business was one that held Onyx Path up as an example of a company "on life support" which is pretty foolish and short-sighted imo, defining success in RPG publishing terms as "has an actual headquarters and full time employees and a CEO" means that nobody except Paizo and WotC qualify as "successful," which is obviously not a very accurate way of looking at how the hobby had transitioned into a different sort of model over the years. No, I doubt that Kevin Crawford brings in as much money as Paizo or WotC do, but claiming that he isn't successful because he does his thing thanks to crowdfunding is wrongheaded, and the same goes for Onyx Path, Arc Dream/Greg Stolze, Evil Hat, etc.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Simian_Prime posted:

Feels like all that’s needed to pull the rug out from Paizo is for Wizards to release a setting that’s explicitly “D&D, but in Space.”

Spelljammer revival

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
D&D Post-Modern

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Spelljammer revival

Starfinder is more dnd but scifi
Spelljammer is more high fantasy on the high space waves.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

The post which kicked off this tangent about what constitutes a successful RPG business was one that held Onyx Path up as an example of a company "on life support" which is pretty foolish and short-sighted imo, defining success in RPG publishing terms as "has an actual headquarters and full time employees and a CEO" means that nobody except Paizo and WotC qualify as "successful," which is obviously not a very accurate way of looking at how the hobby had transitioned into a different sort of model over the years. No, I doubt that Kevin Crawford brings in as much money as Paizo or WotC do, but claiming that he isn't successful because he does his thing thanks to crowdfunding is wrongheaded, and the same goes for Onyx Path, Arc Dream/Greg Stolze, Evil Hat, etc.

Well, if one were to define a company's success by having a headquarters and a warehouse and full-time employees, Palladium Books would also qualify. Of course, that's more likely an echo of past success than present, so you're right that isn't necessarily an indicator by itself. There are also just RPG companies that make their primary biz outside of RPGs that have traditional business setups, like Fantasy Flight Games and Steve Jackson Games. It is definitely a solid indicator of a certain level of success, but it also requires creating a product that's short on risk, and it's rare to see that in the RPG industry.

Also, Wizards of the Coast also employs about as many full-time people on D&D as Evil Hat or Onyx Path does in general. So while D&D has much more in the way of monetary backing, it isn't a huge business as a individual brand.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

whydirt posted:

Where did the meme of calling it Starfinger come from?

The Legion of Superheroes villain, obviously

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I think interpreting it as a James Bond pun offers the best advice.

Starfinger
It’s the brand
The brand with the Midas touch
But you mustn’t touch

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hell yeah new thread. now im technically caught up

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Simian_Prime posted:

Feels like all that’s needed to pull the rug out from Paizo is for Wizards to release a setting that’s explicitly “D&D, but in Space.”

Back in the 4e days I was working on a bit of a homebrew thing for D&D in space. A lot of it was quite fun to stat up but I may have gone a smidge overboard in trying to figure out if it was feasible to do zero-G combat.

One of these days I'll rework that setting into a system less trashy than D&D. It had some quirky fun bits included, with an overall more "industrial" sort of feel than your standard Spelljammer stuff. Basically a magitech kind of thing, I suppose.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

Back in the 4e days I was working on a bit of a homebrew thing for D&D in space. A lot of it was quite fun to stat up but I may have gone a smidge overboard in trying to figure out if it was feasible to do zero-G combat.

One of these days I'll rework that setting into a system less trashy than D&D. It had some quirky fun bits included, with an overall more "industrial" sort of feel than your standard Spelljammer stuff. Basically a magitech kind of thing, I suppose.

I was able to brute Force 3D combat with a die showing relative elevation to a fixed point (the dragon they were all fighting), but it was clunky

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Elizabeth Mills posted:

I was able to brute Force 3D combat with a die showing relative elevation to a fixed point (the dragon they were all fighting), but it was clunky

3D wasn't the issue, it was the whole momentum thing. I got about two iterations into this subsystem for pushing off walls and stuff when I thought "hang on this is needlessly complex".

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Starfinder is more dnd but scifi
Spelljammer is more high fantasy on the high space waves.

Which could also be fun, but I was imagining more of a sci-fi bent to it.

Hell, now that I think of it, the Far Future of the Forgotten Realms could be a fun, goofy setting. A second Avatar War allows the gods to take off the brakes on Toril’s overall tech level. With the Weave being pushed out into outer space, and many of the fallen gods still controlling parts of the planet as petty tyrants, there’s impetus now to explore the stars. Magic is harnessed to explore the stars. Elminster’s a cyborg now. That sort of thing.

You’ve got a setting with instant marketability, and even the janky 5e ruleset is still better than Starfinger.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 17, 2018

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Fuego Fish posted:

3D wasn't the issue, it was the whole momentum thing. I got about two iterations into this subsystem for pushing off walls and stuff when I thought "hang on this is needlessly complex".
attack vector: wizard

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Goa Tse-tung posted:

D&D Post-Modern
Bricolage Hero
Deonstructivist Hero
Poststructural Hero
Intertextual Hero
Semiotic Hero
Pastiche Hero

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

D&D Post-Modern

Dungeons & Doom Patrol

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

3d movement with zero g inertia would be extremely weird when put onto a grid without a computer running the calculations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Xelkelvos posted:

3d movement with zero g inertia would be extremely weird when put onto a grid without a computer running the calculations.

Yeah, I figured that out fairly fast, so I just sort of handwaved in some artificial gravity stuff to the setting and made a "freefall" status that made you immobile while doubling forced movement effects as a quick hack, as well as some minor magic item "magnetic boots" type footwear to make you immune.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Surely some game has rules for that. I'm thinking about how to abstract it out right now and I'm pretty sure I could work something out.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

D&D Post-Modern

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
3d movement in and of itself isn't hard. It's the inertia that's hard. First off, assume everyone can air brake unless they do the equivalent of a dash where they get extra movement. Every hit/attack has knockback and recoil based on die or damage or something. Bouncing off of stuff voluntarily, should just be part of movement with a movement bonus equal to Str modifier but maybe be a feat or something. Involuntary bouncing should just be up to someone and just move in some direction away from the initial movement.

idk what else is necessary

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Even just 2D-based vector movement in a TT game gets really ugly, much less 3D- I've seen several games do it but I can't think of one that did it gracefully. It's a gimmick that's best abstracted unless your name completely centers around it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, Paizo are a pretty interesting case because they're clearly in the business of selling RPGs, not designing RPGs. They've twigged that a good product is less important to the bottom line than a good sales engine, and they're riding that train as far as it'll go.

Well, and there's the Adventure Path stuff. I'm pretty sure there's a substantial number of people who stick with Pathfinder entirely because (a) GMing for a crunchy game is hard,
(b) having literally years' worth of start-to-end content available makes that way easier, and (c) most players are stuck with whatever system the GM wants to use.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Bricolage Hero
Deonstructivist Hero
Poststructural Hero
Intertextual Hero
Semiotic Hero
Pastiche Hero

more, please

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Even just 2D-based vector movement in a TT game gets really ugly, much less 3D- I've seen several games do it but I can't think of one that did it gracefully. It's a gimmick that's best abstracted unless your name completely centers around it.

Fragged Empire?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Fragged Empire?

Fragged Empire just delays maneuvering to loosely simulate the difficulties in vector-based movement, but it's not a "true" vector-based movement system where you're tracking both thrust and vector at all times. It's a good compromise, tho.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It works better in games where you don't track movement and position down to the 5' square. Conan, for example, just has "zones" and you are generally 0 (in melee), 1 (maybe in melee if you're really big or have extreme reach), 2, or 3 zones away from your enemy. The exact size of a zone is highly variable and dependent on how easy movement might be... so it could be individual rooms in a house, or an open clearing the size of a football field might only have 4 zones in it. Defining zones in 3d isn't much harder than 2d, particularly since miniatures and a board aren't entirely necessary, and at that point you can have characters deliberately moving from zone to zone if they can, or drifting through zones by momentum if they can't.

Or just go full-blown theater of the mind, gently caress it. Leave the fully-simulated 3d zero-g tactical combat to computer games.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It helps that, so long as there are a maximum of three ships in the combat, you can represent everything on a 2d plane.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

It helps that, so long as there are a maximum of three ships in the combat, you can represent everything on a 2d plane.

Now add orbital mechanics...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
doesn't Traveller assume space combat is done with Newtonian physics?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

In terms of space combat, I do like that Rogue Trader handwaves a lot of it by saying that combat is more along the lines of traditional naval combat and that your actions do take a lot of time. It's generally assumed that you're doing all of these things that might involve vectors/3D space but in the long run just turn out to be modeled best in the typical 2D format. Instead of worrying about physics and vectors you get to focus on doing more interesting things, like riling up the crew with motivational speeches, pulling a Scotty in the engine room and getting 'just that much more out 'o 'er cap'n', using your spooky psychic powers to explode ordinance inside the enemy vessel before it gets to fire them, and in general just focusing on the broader level of things that you can do as part of naval combat.

This is a setting where you can fight literal space whales too, so I'm pretty OK that it doesn't try to go too hard for verisimilitude.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Someday I'd like to see mechanics for space combat more along the lines of the Culture novels, where it's resolved from light minutes away in the dark of space, largely with invisible weapons, and executed unimaginably fast from unbelievably powerful ship Minds.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fred Hicks talking about the effect streaming has on game sales (particularly TAZ's recent Monster of the Week game):

https://twitter.com/fredhicks/status/965631462124015616

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Ugh, I can't believe people are still falling for Fred Hicks's obvious scam of combining audience engagement with prompt and cheerful customer service.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
What is SA TG's opinion, of Fred Hicks's opinion, of gun control??

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

What is SA TG's opinion, of Fred Hicks's opinion, of gun control??

It probably doesn't go far enough. :colbert:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

It probably doesn't go far enough. :colbert:

I think that guns, like tornados, are beyond human power.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Being a person who rarely enjoys watching other people play games, I often forget that streaming exists. The idea of it outpacing conventions for modern game-selling is interesting though, just a sign of a changing world.

I'd still rather go to a gaming convention than watch a stream, generally speaking, but most of the time I choose to do neither of those things and buy my games based on recommendations from randos on webforums reading sample copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
If I can get an impression of how a game works without having to go to a convention full of sweaty neckbeards to play it then hell yeah I'm going to watch a stream of it.