Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serf posted:

Another success of the KS model is Shadow of the Demon Lord. I gotta hand it to Rob Schwalb, he managed to put out 1 supplement for the game per week for almost a year.

I literally cannot keep up with his supplement production. How much of it does he write himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would kill a man for a Dungeon Fantasy hack of GUMSHOE

I’d help you dispose of the body.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If nobody buys 2e, Paizo will evergreen 1e. It is exactly the free market.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just add respecs, see, and then players can get out of crappy classes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nuns with Guns posted:

a small but vicious canine.

Isn’t that WHFRP 3E?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know if these have been there for a while and only just slipped through my adblocker or something but :laffo: DTRPG have some customer testimonials on the checkout screen now?

I'm sure unnamed customers have definitely said that about DTRPG, that sounds completely legitimate.

I AM CONSUMING MORE MATERIALS FROM YOUR SERVICE

ALL PUBLISHERS SHOULD WANT THEIR MATERIALS CONSUMED FROM THIS SERVICE

(otoh, if anyone’s actually going to write like that it’s an rpg.pdf buyer)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

D&D has mechanics and tools, but movies need plots and characters. Those are in adventures!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think most of the video game LPs I’ve watched have linked to the game, but maybe I’m misremembering.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

slap me and kiss me posted:

Me neither, but in fairness, it's way easier to track down where to buy The New Colossus than it is to find a smallprint rpg.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Probably not but it seems fair to assume people interested enough in video games to watch lets plaus have a pretty goof idea of where to buy video games from.

I think Steam for one and DTRPG for the other, if not just googling the name outright maybe with “game” or “rpg” if needed. It would be really good if that was in reality a big barrier to growth, though, because it could be so easily addressed!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In a private game you laugh about bad rolling with the friends you’re playing with.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does the Star Wars book licensing have a provision prohibiting commercial use?

E: doesn’t look like it!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 16, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I missed that part. What utter bullshit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unstoppable?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blocks of putty, for character sculptures.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cards suck. Shuffling is an even more dubious method of generating randomness than rolling dice

So get away from randomness!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

slap me and kiss me posted:

You don't need cards for randomness.

I'd also kill for an rpg that released new character abilities like a legacy game rather than make me spend $50 on a new hardcover.

Hello, UA?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Either it interferes with other parts of their life (socialization, finances, hygiene, whatever), in which case it’s a problem that might deserve a label, or it’s just a hobby like any other.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NinjaDebugger posted:

If liking jojos is wrong, I never want to be right.

Good news!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xiw posted:

Someone's suing industry dirtbag Ken Whitman over the KODT movie kickstarter.

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2018/04/ken-whitman-youve-been-served.html

They’re also suing Kickstarter, interestingly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Re b) I think at the most Kickstarter should provide notice to the other backers of the suit, but they should not share contact information or facilitate direct contact. I don’t know what criteria KS would use to decide when it was appropriate to send out the notice. (If the complainant had a legal right to the contact information then they could sue for it specifically, right?)

Re a) having them navigate the various corporate registries and jurisdictions seems like a lot, especially when DBA rules in some places are just “use that name in business”.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Helping facilitate a backer-driven lawsuit in cases where one is appropriate seems like the least that kickstarter could do to combat grifters on its platform. That doesn't mean giving out contact information to anyone who asks but allowing messages to be sent to backers in cases of that seems totally reasonable.

I would not want to be the person at KS who was deciding when it was appropriate to have a lawsuit, I tell you what.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think they are obligated to facilitate backer collusion in some way though.

I don’t think they are. If I want to sue an Amazon seller, Amazon is under no obligation to help me do that, by messaging other customers of that seller or otherwise. It’s just not their role.

There’s already the comment system. Project owners can’t delete from there, only KS admins.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Terrible Opinions posted:

Not sure how you'd do that in a field where everything is more subjective like writing though.

In orchestras they do blind auditions, and it really changed things. You could do blind writing samples too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

garthoneeye posted:

My favorite thing about blind orchestra auditions is that it didn't work when they first started.
They could tell men from women based on the sounds they made while walking on stage because the women wore heels.
It fixed when they had auditioners remove their shoes.

That’s great!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LongDarkNight posted:

Can anyone point me a good boilerplate harassment policy to use for a game convention?

From a skim, this looks good.

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-harassment/Policy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

But he didn't work for free, he exchanged labor for labor. You say people shouldn't work for free but you're also dismissing the labor that he did for them as worth nothing, which is it?

Agreed. Cash isn’t the only form of value that can change hands.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I was on a trip a while ago, I asked my neighbour to take my garbage out. When I got back I mowed his lawn to thank him. I don’t feel like I devalued the labour of gardeners.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s possible that the plan was right away back then, but by the time the SRD was done people’s availability had changed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

moths posted:

Had your neighbor raised $2,000 for the stretch goal of "Subjunctive mows my lawn?"

I’m talking about exchange of labour as payment, and how that affects (or doesn’t) the respect accorded a professional who might otherwise have provided the same service. I’m not talking about how he communicated the stretch goal structure, or if he considered the favour cashed in to be worth $2000, or anything else related to the finances. I apologize if I didn’t make that obvious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sexpig by night posted:

You know why the conditions on the ground don't change 'any time soon'? Because every time someone says 'this is lame' when poo poo like this happens there's people who pop up saying 'actually it's fine I didn't pay my neighbor for walking my dog when I needed it so that's the same of asking for hours of work from a friend after raising money specifically off them adding their effort to the project'

In this case it wasn’t walking the dog, it was doing writing work for the other person’s previous campaign, no? It seems to me that they’re exchanging labour that they consider equivalent. Do you feel that the conditions on the ground should change such that such exchanges don’t happen?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sexpig by night posted:

(aside from the fact that we live in a capitalist system and you can't pay rent with 'my buddy mowed my lawn')

Would it have been better if they’d each paid the other $2000 so that there was tax deducted?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sexpig by night posted:

If your neighbor was making money off his nicely mowed lawn wouldn't you think 'hey taking my trash out is nice but he should probably just break me off some of that'?

No. It’s the same effort for me, and the same expression of reciprocity. If he gets a better offer on his house because there’s a showing the next day, good for him.

(To make the analogy work, though, I’d also have to retain the right to make money off the lawn, like the authors did here.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the point of the trademark? Are they going to litigate? Twitter isn’t going to do poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ettin posted:

That is funny but I'm going to be That Guy and say that is a lot of money for a Twitter bit :ssh:

Extremely agreed, but people keep high-fiving the guy for his total epic own of Pundit. :confused:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It is apparently not obvious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That makes me angrier than I thought it would.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ProfessorCirno posted:

This coming from ArenaNet is the part that is the least surprising. That company has always been an absolute trash fire and is kinda known for being aggressively awful to it's employees. This is just another massive sign on how much unionization is needed in games development.

Yeah, a friend of mine worked at ANet on GW1 and practically leapt over a table when another friend said she had an interview there. It seems grim.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sion posted:

yeah but I want a version without celerity being loving busted

Houserule?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jimbozig posted:

A marker to cross out the "it". Nobody wants 4 dots in celery.

Works out, IMO.

Or “we’re all trying to have fun, let’s not abuse the weaknesses of the game in a way that interferes with that, OK?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Desiden posted:

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if nuWW had just blundered into these nazi callsigns.

Maybe, but it’s so obvious that they also should have been able to correct it in editing after the dice came up that way.

Did none of the playtesters mention it, though?