Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
As weirdly right-wing and libertarian as this industry can be, here's Fred Hicks with his Twitter display name set to "Ban the gun lobby". Hell, if I didn't already own MotW...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but keep in mind that while generally game mechanics aren't copyrightable (though you can apparently patent them?) the law isn't going to look fondly at you if you produce something that could be mistaken for the original or an approved copy/derivative work of the original.

Hence, if you make Catacoombs & Cyclopses 5e and release with a front cover that could be, by a lay person, mistaken for the actual D&D front cover, you're not going to be safe from a lawsuit.

One concrete example I can think of is the layout of GURPS 4e book covers. Though you wouldn't be copying any specific design per se, SJG will sue you if you publish something with the same four-rectangle pattern, because it could be mistaken for an official SJG publication.

That's called trade dress, isn't it?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

OneShot set the standard and frankly if they can, with their handful of folks, manage it, Paizo hasn't any excuses.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I mean, that's the whole Silicon Valley thing, isn't it? "We're a new kind of company, the rules don't apply to us, hey wait what's this lawsuit, I'm the good guy here".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And that's how you can also end up with stuff like the Paizo situation. Yeah, you may recognize that sexual harassment is a problem, and yeah, you may have been subjected to it, but somebody is your friend and you can just talk to them about it and clear things up and that's all you need to do because, you know, you're friends and colleagues. And I'm not saying that's necessarily what's going on, nor am I saying it's anything but irresponsible if something like that is. But it's how this stuff goes on even in front of people that by all rights should know better.

There are reasons when I've asked folks who used to work for Palladium what a certain employee actually does and get a big ol' shrug, because hey, that's Siembieda's old buddy and he isn't going anywhere. That's also how you get a guy robbing Palladium for years upon years and nobody noticing anything being up. Because he's Kev's friend from the Detroit gaming club days and he's a known quantity who would never work to bleed the whole company dry!

And this is part of what makes OneShot's solution so important: they understood that this is a problem, refused to assume they were better than that, and hired outside investigators. Not assuming everything's cool because it's you and you're good and smart is so important in so many things, and also a far rarer skill than a lot of people think it is.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I liked Milwaukee by Night- it's got its problems, but there's a real sense of desperation and danger that permeates it. Milwaukee's vampires are in bad trouble, it's probably too dangerous to leave, and nobody can get along with anybody outside their clique.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

That Old Tree posted:

Didn't someone make an Avatar PBtA game, and then start filing the serial numbers off to try and sell it? Whatever happened with that?

Legend of the Elements?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I hadn't seen any of the KODT live stuff and it looks like that was remarkably well-cast. loving shame Ken Whitman was involved.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wouldn't claim to know much about Chaosium. I like Glorantha well enough but feel like Call of Cthulhu has outstayed its welcome by at least two decades, so I don't pay too much attention.

I was rereading the CoC corebook awhile back and it's amazing how painfully obvious it is that the game is a reaction to D&D from the early 80s.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

Japanimation is pretty sweet, Akira is my favorite mangamovie. But I still don’t understand why the main character is called Canada when it’s set in NeonTokyo? :confused:

I just saw Akira for the first time and it loving ruled.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kestral posted:

Hite finished his work on V5 months ago, and White Wolf owns that work product. He can't "un-involve" himself at this point aside from refusing to work on future material in the line, which is what he should do.

Okay but, like, would he?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

WW isn't really a "dream" job for Ken, he's worked with them before- most notably on Cainite Heresy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, he's responsible for Trail of Cthulhu and his current Kickstarter project is an expansion of his book Tour de Lovecraft. Dude loves him some Lovecraft.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

X-posted from the Chat thread.

Bye-bye Google Plus, only notable because it's somehow got some RPG communities.

https://gizmodo.com/googles-failed-social-network-google-will-be-no-more-1829602740

Oh no where will Zoldemort coordinate harassment now

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Is there anybody who played/liked Hackmaster that wasn't already a KODT fan?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Roadie posted:

the next instance of wacko poo poo like pixie-fairy cannibalism.

I never did find anybody who wanted to play Fairy Meat.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Meinberg posted:

Vampire LARPs also tend to be or become incredibly toxic, due to the high level of PvP in the games, the systems rewarding players for paying more, power structures that can give people with in game and out of game power a sense of megalomania, and general vampire themes being a bit rapey. Still, they've become the standard for parlor LARPs in the USA and abroad, that other parlor LARPs have evolved from.

I have no idea what the bit I've bolded is about- that's a feature of several boffer LARPs I'm aware of (and part of why I'm utterly uninterested in playing any LARP that's run as a business) but I've been playing live-action Vampire for almost twenty years and I've never seen any payment that wasn't for site fees, organization membership, or like convention fees. It's the for-profit boffer games like Dystopia Rising that want to sell you extra XP.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Speaking of alt-right gaming companies, the dude who wrote Blood In The Chocolate is denouncing and separating from Legend of the Flame Princess after James Raggi turned out to be a big fan of Jordan Peterson. I have no idea how this comes as a surprise, exactly.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm glad he's getting told.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's easy for us to laugh off our insignificance, both as individuals and as a species, because we were born and raised in a world where these ideas were old hat. Lovecraft was not, and a lot of those themes in his work were the product of somebody who was raised with really retrograde values also having a fascination with then cutting-edge science and watching everything he wanted to believe in be torn apart. Extreme anthropocentrism dominated the cosmology of the world he was born into, and he spent a lot of his time learning that it was bullshit.

(I would also note that a lot of people even today still think the universe exists because a god wanted to create them and needed a place for them to live, but that's neither here nor there.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Lovecraft's work was copyrighted; his aunt's basically licensed the rights to Wandrei and Derleth so they could publish his stories through Arkham House, and it's been somewhat murky since then whether they really had the rights to like enforce copyright against other publishers and so on, though for a long time they did. His stuff finally did go public domain in like 2012 or so, though I don't think the rights had been vigorously enforced in the preceding decade or two.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Transient People posted:

No disagreements, but even if you're super conservative with what Hercules can do it's kind of on a different level from Conan's feats. He's like a more swole Captain America, whereas Hercules could reroute whole river courses in a day by dint of swole. Both are mythical heroes, one just has enough strength to challenge the gods themselves.

Being obnoxiously clear about this, including direct increases to STR, would probably help.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Oh yeah I'm aware of all of that. I grew up in a hard right religious home schooling community. It's just uh, similar things happened to Pokemon, Harry Potter, sailor moon, dragon Ball Z, anime in general, etc. Many of these were bowdlerized in some way to avoid freaking fundies. Many had mass burnings of purchased products (lmao)

I was never dragged into the principal's office and forced to explain to nominal adults the difference between fantasy and reality on account of Harry Potter, Sailor Moon, or DBZ, you know?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

TBH it takes very little research to learn any of this but it does require that you not assume you know everything already.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Loomer posted:

Unfortunately a lot of my delusional magician brethren fall into that trap, too. A lot of us esteem the esoteric hermaphrodite, which is a perfect union of a dualistic cosmos into a single form, but too many confuse that for transpeople and intersex people generally, which leads to some Weird poo poo. Brucato fell into that with M20, for a tabletop specific example.

Also Unknown Armies, very prominently.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The System Mastery review of A State made it sound like unplayable garbage TBH.

I'm always a little weirded out by SLA Industries because it's a game I occasionally see references to but have never once seen a single SI book in a store or heard somebody discuss it except in books like the Munchkin's Guide (which was surprisingly entertaining for a James Desborough product). I think I saw an ad for it once in like Dragon? But anyway it's weird to me that it's apparently a going concern in the tiny RPG industry/scene and has been for like twenty years and I have never encountered anything but sparse references to it. Is it more popular in the UK than in the US or something?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

The PD is also intentionally incoherent enough that there's nothing much to make a game out of. It's zen koans for hippie burnouts. :)

Technically it's zen koans for beatnik burnouts and got picked up by hippies.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

spectralent posted:

I skipped most of that because of the unnecessary and long-winded metaphors but my recommendations for most first-time players is one of the PBTA games that doesn't include sex moves (unless you're dead sure they're into intimate relationship melodrama, which is a thing some people grok from poo poo like game of thrones). Fellowship or, honestly, dungeon world are decent, in particular because they hopefully get people into the habit of describing actions rather than describing the mechanical widget they want to interact with. The worst thing people can do here is wish things were a bit more detailed, which you can then give them if you move onto D&D or something, and when you get there they're not going to step into places and go "I roll Search. I'm going to Attack that monster." where you're left dungeon crawling in a formless void.

which is dumb because most videogames are infinitely more competently made than any TTRPG could hope to be.

They have to be, since the majority of the hobby's fans don't intuitively expect video games to ship horribly broken and in need of endless player-written patches. That's a failure state in video games, and almost a norm in TTRPG's.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I knew he had done that "System Does Matter" rant on Vampire, but didn't put the pieces together. Thing is, I think the two are related--he's also written about how D&D was originally a very wide-open and varied thing from group to group, based on people's personal experiences and what materials they had access to, but unfortunately when the playstyle became more standardized, it was a pretty lovely adversarial and punitive one. And Vampire and its coattail-riders mostly continued that.

Yikes.

I want to take the GM advice from Apocalypse World, particularly "Be a fan of the players' characters", and throw it back in time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The problem I always have with APs is that they're almost always as much bad jokes as they are RPG content. I can get better jokes anywhere, I want to hear people playing a damned game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That was my reaction to Adventure Zone, where I felt like if I was invested in MBMBAM, I might be amused. But to me it just felt like guys trying to rib each other constantly and the actual game just felt like fodder for those interactions than anything they were that interested in.

That was the last AP I tried and yeah it was exactly like that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Read the whole loving thread.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1095145225440288769

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/hottestsingles/status/1096633734969712641

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Jesus gently caress there are people who legitimately like Holden and stand up for him and get angry that people don't like him and my mind is completely blown that there's people who think he's a cool, put-upon guy and not an rear end in a top hat. Twitter is an amazing place.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oh my god I am so loving done with these people. They're yelling about SA and accusing me of making "the Suleman situation" worse and I just can't deal with this dishonest garbage on this topic.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Worse than what it was already? Like covering for an abuser with no magical proof pulled out of their collective rectum to make it not a problem at all like they said or the most hilarious non-apology ever that essentially had the guy only own up to being too powerfully attracted to women? Yeah, those people aren't worth it.

I never brought up any of it, somebody asked what Holden did, I explained, and then it was torrents of garbage about how great Holden is and how SA hates him for reasons.

There's really two ways to go about not being friends with crap dudes and the easy one is to drop crap dudes and the hard one is to endlessly justify how they're Good, Actually and IDK why you'd go to that effort.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

moths posted:

I completely expect that no, Matt will not actually be "addressing the specific reasons for the shutdown sometime soon."

Or ever.

He'll get a timeline out at some point.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

You should absolutely be shamed for being upset about an Amber Alert, children don't get kidnapped on your loving personal schedule.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I absolutely knew people around 1999-2002 who believed in basically every kind of supernatural weirdness. I had weird friends.

E: Hell, Anne Rice used to get letters from people who thought her works were nonfiction.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Desiden posted:

One of the ironies here is that the peak WW era actually had prompted some loonies running around claiming that VtM ripped off "real world vampirism". They'd show up here and there on usenet, and claimed that the whole political structure was real or only slightly modified. IIRC there was also some crime tragedy vaguely similar to the ones that prompted the DnD backlash as well, with some kid taking things too seriously. It didn't get as much play, because the hysteria over RPGs was past by then, but the notion that WW games actually reduced the number of people believing in vampires is profoundly silly.

Then again, all of M*RH's antics lately seem to be a desperate attempt to claim relevance and not understanding why his still-rooted-in-the-90s politics aren't setting the world on fire.

You're thinking of the Vampire Clan killings.