Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Slimnoid posted:

Their business is build on attracting 3.x grogs, who are very sensitive to change, so yeah Paizo's likely to shrink with their market while pumping out a half-dozen iterations of a 15-year-old system.
3.x grogs are very sensitive to change, but they're also very willing to insist that massive changes are actually the true historical way it's always been, if they're presented right. It happened once before, it can happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

3D wasn't the issue, it was the whole momentum thing. I got about two iterations into this subsystem for pushing off walls and stuff when I thought "hang on this is needlessly complex".
attack vector: wizard

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, it turns out even when you have only one god people still really, really can't agree on what that's all about, and you'd think that'd be a lot simpler.
You'd think it would be simpler, but then you count that one god and end up using three fingers.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Moving through the dungeon costs food and water points, with more being consumed as the adventurers engage in fights. Hope you don't run out of a stockpile or else that [X] 4-3 Fighter counter is going to be flipped to its (0)-2 depleted side!
Do I send money via P500 or Kickstarter?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's a really good way to make the customer panic and wonder if something's wrong and the site or their browser has been hijacked by something. Really enhances those boring steps midway through checking out and buying your elfgame.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Just make Drizzt purple and cast all the human & dwarf characters as black. I'm sure the FR grogs would be fine with it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Sadly any chance of their heads literally exploding was dashed when it didn't happen due to Idris Elba being cast as Heimdall.
He was good, though. This would be a D&D film. Just imagine the budget and star power they'd be able to assemble.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

I am looking forward both to a Tolkien prequel, and to smugly criticizing its violations of canon.
Hoping for lore-accurate vestigial tentacles entwining Legolas' puntl as he works with Gimli to end the strife between gnomes and dwarves.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
What's pumpkins, precious?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Powerless Against Uh Suleiman's Eyes

Having trouble with the U, I've tried looking at synonyms for smouldering and sexy and entrancing and all that but nothing's really grabbing me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
His eyes would be a lot less of a problem if they were more uxorious.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Disappointed it didn't pick up where the first game left off, with only one card in hand, now you have to make it to two cards, what's gonna happen in the Los Números saga?!
Somewhere, a Nazi is planning to kickstart 14.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
That sounds rubbish. Unless the weakness is iron chariots with giant anime tits? Edit: adult iron chariots with giant anime tits, please. Not child ones. :(

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

xiw posted:

Zweihanderguy is one of the few RPG industry people more constantly selfpromoting than Pundit.
He pisses off parts of /tg/ by sending takedowns to file hosts when they pirate his stuff, he's pretty great. Of course, Precis (one of Pundit's publishers) does that too...

has anyone seen them in the same room

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

kingcom posted:

Extremely good is the nomination for the Starfinder free rpg day release that wasn't even a playable product but just a few pages from their monster manual.
Well yeah, it's nothing earthshaking but it'll still go for a few bucks on eBay.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Cassa posted:

https://twitter.com/root_of_all_eli/status/1016240359012093952?s=19

Yeah I dunno peeps, I think there might be a little bit to that articles point.
They just rolled the hitler numbers on their dice when they were writing the example, you can't blame them for that. You have to use the dice once you roll them, it's the rules.

please buy what I am selling and do not react with very open disbelief

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

PenguinKnight posted:

I messed up the link somehow
What if mouse cords, but transphobia?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

I didn't know Guy Fieri wrote RPGs.
https://twitter.com/fartpowder/status/956939855975591936

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
"we're making that game you want!"

*cheering*

"with that one thing you definitely wanted not in it in it!"

ah, licensing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Hostile V posted:

https://rpgsports.tv/

Roll on down to the Twitter feed on the page but spoilers it's this.

https://twitter.com/RPGSportsTV/status/1053239602302083078
Did they delete this?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Artistic value? Dragon's dead, statue's tripled in value after that. Rich people love dead artists.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Biomute posted:

They have no value, or at the very least they are worth very little, trending towards nothing.
Turn on your monitor.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This thread’s true purpose is as a honey trap for people who don’t understand basic concepts of economics, labor, and/or production and refuse to do even minimal research to learn about them.
The iron law of grognards.txt? But it's meant to be funny...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Hail Satan! Lord of the Pit! King of Hell! Ruler of the Earth! Master of the Abyss! I open the unknowable doorways and touch the violet flame, drink the revitalizing blood and break the skulls of those who cross Him or His brothers. I call upon the most vicious demons of Hell to intervene. From this night forth, all trans people will be plagued by self-doubt, weakness, failure, hopelessness, hunger, pain, loss, insecurity, and envy. (I did not actually touch the violet flame, so any such feelings are unrelated)

But anyway, that OSR logo is good and I'm glad they're making a statement.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Suiciding your company into an international incident to own the libs.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Sales rankings were still separated by site, so if half your buyers used one and the rest used the other you'd be stuck lower down the rankings than you should be, losing visibility and all that. Apparently they finally changed that recently.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Deep time being spooky is like when you lie on the ground looking at the sky and your perspective shifts and the sky is really really big and you're tiny and possibly going to fall off and the planet is spinning through space.

What I mean is it can be a fun kind of spooky for a few minutes, and you say whoa a few times when you picture just how loving big everything is, and that brief dizzying moment of awe and fear can be a legitimate thing, but if it goes on too long: get help. Or drink to forget.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Andrast posted:

Fighters should fall down and start crying every time a spell is cast
Except spells like Hold Person, they can only fall down if the spell lets them.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

homullus posted:

Did you count the number of spells that Gandalf casts in LOTR?
As Maiar, they're actually spell-like abilities.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

They also need different rules. They're all totally valid ways to do D&D, but yeah, it'd be way better if the rules initended for murderhoboing through a different dungeon each weekend, the rules for knockoff LoTR only everyone's boromir, and the rules for punching cthulhu until it agrees to help you fight zeuss were explicitly separated.
Glorantha currently comes in Runequest, Heroquest and 13th Age rulesets, which don't exactly map to play styles and power levels but show that something similar might work for D&D, after the nuclear apocalypse kills off most of the grogs.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Capfalcon posted:

In (awful, awful) theory, I can picture an app that you could pay a buck to get access to semirandomized character sheets for a mystery game?

Sounds awful, though.
DCC sells a pack of scratch-off pregen character sheets. And each player requires like four sheets to play a funnel, so you can go through a ton.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Reveilled posted:

I think the only map trope that really bothers me is when a continent fits perfectly in a rectangle, as on Westeros or The Elder Scrolls.
Hey, Westeros has two rectangles, the original page and the horizontal fold-out wide continent.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Wasn't the original plan for Tyranny to be a much shorter game than it ended up being, with much bigger differences on replay? But then they decided that wouldn't work and people would play it once and yell at them, so they just crammed everything in.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Emy posted:

Mandy and the others gave clear accounts, and Zak did too, but probably not in the way he thinks
Yeah, his big rebuttal post was a remarkably clear and full admission that literally everything was true, and probably more.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
emmy allen's got a zakpost up, and it ends with a (final) chat she had with him after he posted his rebuttal.

"do you not see how that leads to everyone getting punched? i mean: that's storygames." -- zak s

Or, as she puts it, "Willingness to admit fault? Pacifism? Contrition? Mercy? That's bad. That's storygames."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Goons are snakes, pass it on.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Singular they is awful, but it's what we deserve for letting the you / thou distinction fall out of use. :colbert:
Singular they is too familiar, for more formal language you use the singular yey.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Look buddy if you're going to take some of Shakespeare's colloquialisms as legitimate you have to accept all of them.
Literally nothing wrong with this.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Also only an idiot would want to put a teenager in a giant biomechanical horror mech, so that's banned. And you can't be a spy and pilot a giant robot because that would take too many points of merits.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

:hmmyes: Monte Cook Inserts a Plastic Hand
excuse me that's called GM INTRUSION and it's illegal in the UK from April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Female primarines are the future.