Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

senrath posted:

I still don't understand why it's hard for people to understand that an edition change doesn't mean your old books suddenly cease to exist.

Pathfinder actively fanned the flames of that idea to create their fanbase in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Warthur posted:

Would it help if they were actively designated as training wheels and designed as such?

Because one of the genuine strengths of a class system is that you can design classes that are adapted to different levels of engagement with the game and the system, which is extremely handy if you have players whose levels of system investment range from "Wants to know every single rules nook and cranny" or "Will show up week-in, week-out, with a better recall of what went down earlier in the campaign than the GM has" on the one hand to "is new to this and doesn't want to be given too much game mechanical stuff" or "actively wants to be able to coast in terms of the system stuff because they're mostly here for the roleplay" on the other.

That's not a reason for fighters to be quite as terrible as they currently are, of course, but it is a reason why you would include a "training wheels" class. You could even label it as such and say "Listen, game mechanically you will end up overshadowed by others in the long run, but you might consider it a worthwhile tradeoff if you'd genuinely prefer not to have to learn any magic rules, and if your campaign isn't going to go much beyond level X it won't get that bad".

Having basic and complex classes is good. Having a greater skill ceiling on the complex classes is good (with various design caveats). Having an entire archetype be the basic class is not good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

There's an awful lot of hand-wringing for that "told the alt-right to gently caress off" headline.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I feel like if Bugatti released some 350k supercar and called it "the future of automobiles" we would all rightly realize that this is just marketing claptrap about how ~amazingly advanced~ it is without making the leap to "they're saying everyone should be paying 350k for a supercar".

Yet somehow an RPG essentially doing the same thing has scrambled some circuits.

Nobody thinks the future of the hobby is 500 dollar RPG_CUBES, jeez. I hope nobody thinks Monte is seriously proposing this. It's just a comment on how ~amazingly advanced~ their mechanics and play aids are.

The cost of hybrid and electric cars have come down, but when first developed there were definitely echoes of people doing exactly that. Treating people as morally lacking if they didn't get a $100,000 Tesla.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Everybody Poops.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

moths posted:

I'd love for this to be part of the interview process.

Ie: Tell the candidate they didn't get the job to gauge their character.

:stare:

Interviews are a two-way street. This goes right in there with "pretend to be a horrible person as a 'test'" as ways for the interviewer to fail an interview.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

How difficult is it to google a guy before announcing him as a PR headliner for your thing?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

probably one of my favorite simple hackmaster things was when a oneshot basic 'a dragon keeps his hoard in this dungeon, kill him and take it' thing but at the end we found he had melted all his gold and gems and such into one giant statue of himself, that he kept at the bottom of this mine-turned-dungeon. It was a genuinely really funny 'well the statue IS worth a poo poo ton if you can get it out and take it to the capital or somewhere else that can afford it' moment that wound up jumping off to a proper campaign.

I think my solution would be "what was once melted down can be melted back up". Loses the artistic value, but lumps of gold and gems in easy to carry chunks still sells.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cessna posted:

I hate to break this to you, but...

Those axes are backwards. As quantity of supply goes up price goes down, and as quantity of demand increases price goes up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's constant at the undergrad level. You don't stop seeing models that assume rational actors until post-grad economics, if that.

Look, if people don't match our models then clearly it's the people who are the problem.

E: I joke, but that's basically the conclusion of every experiment I did in undergrad physics. Let's hear it for old communal lab equipment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

fr0id posted:

Where is the line drawn?

It's a personal choice that's gonna vary by person. I don't fault anyone for doing it, I don't fault anyone for not doing it, I can understand both reactions and have done them both myself for different authors. You can't really draw a line for someone else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

4e is good for dungeon crawling big set pieces. You kill, not avoid or trick, monsters, get their stuff, level up, rinse and repeat. It doesn’t do room by room clearing well; it doesn’t do individual traps or the kinds of detailed resource management you’d expect from classic D&D. It’s very good, and a lot of fun - it’s just more high octane than you might be expecting coming from 2e.

Also note that some rules are written for playing a game rather than describing the world. I can't recall how 2e did things compared to 3e but for example it's not "DC X to climb a wall" it's "if you decide climbing this wall should be challenging for a level Y party, then use a DC of X" with the assumption that as the party gets more awesome the threshold of "things you don't even bother rolling for" goes up. Generally good stuff, but if you take in-book examples as universal law things break down (granted I have no clue how much of that was people actually being confused or just blind edition warring). Particularly for skill challenges, "you can have challenges more complex and party-involving than just one pass/fail roll" is great advice but every attempt to actually implement them bound themselves too heavily to the example from the book.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I feel like I've been saying this a lot recently: it's possible to hurt people without meaning to hurt. It's possible to think you're helping without realizing who you've trod on along the way. Recognize, apologize, and do better next time. People are fallible and the bar of being better than nothing is absurdly low. A bit of humility can take care of not even passing that.

Instead a lot of folks double down. I get getting defensive over a creation or even a single decision, that's human nature, but that's an instinct you need to fight and evaluate if you care about what you're saying. Ignore your instinct to "well actually", take a step back, look at it, and THEN decide if it's the side you're actually trying to fight for.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

The fight with the Krogan warlord in Mass Effect 1 autosaves before the loading screen which leads to the boss fight, which opens with a cinematic and a dialogue. Death means going through all that over again.

And over again.

And over again.

I'm against capital punishment, but...

The two trickiest fights in FFX (Seymour whichever-one's-at-Gagazet and Yunalesca) are also both after very long unskippable cutscenes. Fark that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Some of those theories were actually quite good when taken as cautionary tales, just not in the way they meant.

GNS theory can be interesting from the perspective of "when designing a game think about how you want the players to interact with it and how your rules encourage/discourage that" but unfortunately it was instead written as "this is the one true way to play, we're defining the GNS terms in a way that inherently demeans all other methods, overlap between the branches is impossible, and we're going to send proselytizers out to other forums to pick fights and then come back here to gloat about it." Instead of helping players/games find each other it tried to "fix" games and, more heinously, fix players. Pretty sure that was pre-4e, but the same sort of flaws as the anti-4e stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

as someone who only just very recently dipped their toe into the miniatures wargaming scene, seeing the Age of Sigmar starter box as something that already contains figures good for BOTH sides of a game, plus the rules, plus all the other paraphernalia, was a great way to tempt me into giving the hobby a shot because it had everything I needed in a neat package

Amen. So many deckbuilders/minis games have died for me because the conversation goes "I just found this neat new game" "cool, let's play a match" "well first you either need to buy your own set, or play with the leftovers from what I built when there's only one of the good cards, or we can put a lot of effort into splitting what I've got in half when the game wasn't built to handle that small of a deck."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Marking: "I am now watching this guy. If they give me an opening, I will use it (to hit them, throw off their aim, get some healing on their target, et cetera et cetera)" I am really sad that got lost in the general 4e assassination, it's a clever way of doing it and making defenders more sticky without forcing chokepoints.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

remusclaw posted:

One of the big things 4e got wrong by my reckoning was that it didn't throw away the idea that an adventure should be made up of a bunch of little encounters. Encounters take a lot of time in that game and because of that, they should all be meaningful. 4 fights per full rest sounds alright in the abstract, but in play those 4 fights might take four sessions to get through, and most of them are going to be trash fights. Shining Force was my favorite video game when I was a kid, and my ideal 4th edition steals from that I think, fights should be big, and they should matter, and they should only happen when it is appropriate, rather than because there has to be a fight every couple rooms or so.

I've got a book somewhere around here of a bunch of dungeons for just that. It was put out to promote the dungeon tiles and presents them as "mini-dungeons" but it's a bunch of "2 encounters then a boss"-style delves where each encounter has their own feel and things to make it interesting. Nothing is just 4 orcs in a room, it's things like an ancient tomb where the guardians know the timing of the traps and try to push players in the way, so they have to either figure it out (by for example watching where the enemies avoid and working out the pattern) or get to the mechanism to disable it or just power through. Not everything is a big elaborate boss monster, but there's a lot of using monsters that play off each other and what else is in the room to make things interesting and memorable. Of course, that does still mean it's based around time-consuming encounters, but at least going through them isn't boring.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

If you can find the title of that, I'd love to see it. The game I run is a bi-weekly short session game that's usually two or three encounters that I try to make interesting with gimmicks and fun monsters to fight. Instead of big sprawling dungeons, we do small dungeons with a few rooms. I'd love to have a resource for a few more of those when I don't want to design everything from scratch.

Found it. https://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Delve-4th-Supplement-Adventure/dp/0786951397 Flipping through, not everything's as flashy as the example I gave, but there's still 90 different encounters to poke at for ideas.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ElNarez posted:

Look at it, it's Call of Cthulhu, but square:

The Llama of Cthulhu.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

And yeah obviously there is something of a spectrum. What if this podcast doesn't run multiple takes, but does edit heavily? What if this one doesn't cut much but does pre-plan and script some scenes? It's never going to be a clear binary distinction, unless the binary distinction you want to make is between a 100% pure raw uncut product and anything less than 100% pure.

An example of the in-between that comes to mind for me is something that wasn't scripted, but once it happens they go back and re-film it so it lands cleaner. Seen that one in panel show jokes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

atholbrose posted:

The best part of that article is where 40 million records were taken from a streaming site which apparently stored the passwords in plain text.

Yeah. Security tip for this day and age: if a site is hanging onto your password in such a way that they can give it back to you, it is not secure and you should consider that place toxic in terms of password reuse (even more so than best practices for password reuse ie "don't"). Properly hashed passwords is why the "recover my password" of yesteryear has become "reset my password" on any reasonable site.

For folks curious about hashes and such, I like Tom Scott's video on the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZtInClXe1Q though I'm sure there are a hundered other equally-good videos from bloggers/youtube personalities/anyone of this information-sharing type because it's an obvious early computer security question.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

fosborb posted:

So this is the Rolemaster sidebar from 1980

I'm inclined to think both sidebars come from largely the same place of backlash against consciously changing how we use language in order to be more inclusive (the push to use "he/she" started in the 60s and 70s), but Rolemaster's is certainly less aggressive about it. Like trying to explain to a Boomer how they're being racist, vs trying to explain that to a gen x alt-righter.

For 1980 I would also believe "ah shoot, we should change that but I can't remember the Wordstar command for find/replace, just put in a sidebar". (for the record it's ^QF)

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 23, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The main thing is that while Facebook has share options of Public/Friends/Friends Except.../Specific Friends.../Only Me/Custom and then if you've clicked "more" a couple of times you can access friends lists you've set up (or it's set up that it thinks you want) the way it's displayed encourages and makes easiest sharing either public or all friends. Google+ put circles front and center.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Paranoia would be good as a Sim thing. Something silly thAt indulges in the tone, like Evil Genius for spy movies. Try to set up a facility to accomplish various Properly Nationalistic goals while dealing with Friend Computer's demands and every routine task failing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'd guess WoW would be comparable if not bigger, back in Vanilla.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

(I switched to Gamescience a few years ago. I love me some sharp-edged dice in retro colors.)

I've got a set of them. Shop clerk mocked me for thinking it actually mattered for rolls; I just like the aesthetic. Definitely had to fill in the numbers with a sharpie though, there's no way I'm squinting to see divots in light-blue plastic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

As for bad dice, the first edition of Quantum had some issues with their die manufacturer. Something hadn't been rinsed off so they were all greasy/sticky, and had serious deformation issues. I could put some of the d6es on a face and just watch em rock back and forth, the face was bowed so far outward. I can't recall if I kept them around here somewhere as souvenirs, the company replaced them all and some other missing parts just fine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I was sure it was for the longest time but I had an epiphany in like 2012 or '13 and realised that for the most part people really are how they think they're pretending to be on the internet.

I mean, I wasn't insisting it was performance art or anything like that, but like yeah, sure "it's an online persona, it's kinda sorta what he thinks for real, but it's played up to the extreme because he thinks that's fun/funny".

Masks only hide the face on the outside.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

It took me way too long to take Pratchett seriously on that one. It would have saved me a lot of grief if I had gotten it the first time.

I think the lessons we learn in ways other than the hard way are outliers. Or maybe I'm just stubborn like that and need to make my own mistakes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Serf posted:

i've been running games on Roll20 for about 4 years now and while the platform is loaded with lots of bugs and quirks and a lot of the ease of use depends on the dedicated programming work of unpaid enthusiasts, it is a great way to play and run games

Bolded for emphasis. I do weekly Imperial Assault games on there. One of my friends has the physical copies and scans everything in and has put a ton of effort into making it work, just so that a few of us who have kept in touch since college have something to do while we continue to do so. It works great, but that's because he's scrambled like mad behind the scenes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That is missing the point so hard I can't tell if the author did it on purpose.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The alignment chart is kinda bad for exactly this sort of reason. I'd say both Carrot and Vimes are Lawful Good but Carrot is an emphasis on the Lawful and Vimes on the Good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Razorwired posted:

4e was also smart enough to say that the most common alignment by far was Unaligned. Because a butcher isn't really thinking about the cosmic ramifications of giving the neighborhood grandma a discount while thumbing the scale on rich dicks.

And while they called the ends Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil it was basically a single axis of Exalted--Good--Neutral--Evil--Vile.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The DM was the person in charge of preventing this from happening.

This should be archived for when the argument comes up of "it was a one-time thing and they're a cool guy, just let it slide" for problem players. Every time is just one time, and then you wind up with something like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

theironjef posted:

Heh, not a chance. The editing shows that no one there has ever heard of RPG terminology. What actually happened is that D'Amato's book was successful so they shopped around his network for the next biggest showrunner.

Hey, if it works it works.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Libertad! posted:

Say what you will about Dragonlance, 95% of the novels don't center around an old wizard's sex life. :dong:

My introduction to the series was through the Twins trilogy so I'd have to disagree there. Maybe. I read it 25 years ago.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Twins was more about how much sex Raistlin wasn't having, and how much of a bitter incel he was 'bout his chadly brother getting the girl instead. :v: That's his whole character arc really. "Went Evil because my crush hooked up with my dumb jock brother."

I had it backwards then, I remembered it as sad justifiably-persecuted priestess being enamored with the bad boy wizard and trying to seduce him into not being evil.

E: Man, didn't she wind up going back in time and being so fed up with the clergy being hedonist pricks that she begged the gods to send the Cataclysm and gently caress everyone?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 13, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I always identified more with Caramon. I guess a character who completely self-sacrifices for the sake of the brother he loves despite the guy being lovely resonated in a way that I'm only now realizing was pretty telling of some anxiety/depression/self-image issues that weren't actually diagnosed until decades later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit: God, I keep remembering worse things. Lord Soth. Everything about Lord Soth, but especially the bit where he is redeemed by realizing it was hosed up to murder his wife and child to conceal that he'd been boning down with. Not doing anything about it mind you, just after centuries going 'huh, my bad'.

Also one of only two darklords to escape Ravenloft. Vecna did it by, if I remember right, some scheme which would blow up the entire plane if he wasn't spat out so the Mists gave in. Lord Soth did it by having copyright lawyers.