Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Colorblind people are used to a little trouble anyway and won't come after you for being a Colour Hitler or anything. Just avoid putting bright green next to bright red and 90% of colorblind folk will thank you - it's a combo that can give red/greeners a really weird nausea response. (This, as you'd imagine, makes Christmas great fun!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Liquid Communism posted:

Is blue/orange a problem? It contrasts just as sharply.

I don't know. Blue-yellow colorblind is very different from red-green. The issue also isn't that the contrast is too much, but rather that very bright green and very bright red side by side start to sort of flash into each other while the brain tries to distinguish between the viable colour information it's getting (which is why the red and green are visible) and the scrambled or missing information (while the colours are visible, certain hues inside them are either not perceptible as a colour or misinterpreted depending on how the rods and cones are setup), and there's a lot of overlap between the wavelengths of light in the very bright reds and greens. Put them side by side and the brain basically flips out trying to work out what the colour where the line blurs (even if it's crisp) is, because both colours are simultaneously stimulating the brain with viable and non-viable information.

Picture a rapidly changing gif of two blocks, or make one if you're afantasmic, one bright red and the other bright green, now make them flash back and forth so fast that they seem to be both at once. That's basically what happens with static colours. Presumably a similarly discomforting effect will happen with any set of high contrast colours flashing rapidly into each other, but the key difference lies in the defective vision causing those otherwise static, normal and fine colours to do the same thing because the info is being scrambled by the eye.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The purpose for said organizations is to ensure that the product has the appropriate amount of promotion regardless of the author's melanin content/whatever, which they think is being denied due to said whatever.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Basically, judging content on its merits is fine and dandy - but if you never get a chance to judge the content because the author was black/gay/whatever, that's a shame. Take female authors of the 1800s. At the time, they weren't taken terribly seriously and had a seriously limited range of poo poo they could 'acceptably' write. So you don't really read their stuff because, eh, if it was good it'd be everywhere, right? Well maybe you miss out on Bronte, maybe you miss out on a steaming piece of poo poo, but because of the cultural biases in play you don't get a chance to find out.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Whole lotta nazis gonna be horrified when they rock up at Valhalla's gate only to find that most of the dudes inducted there over the last 40 years are African, Asian or Middle Eastern, and Odin only had 'em brought over so he could laugh at them for being little bitches.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
In theory, I see nothing wrong with that approach, but I also know quite a few trans people who prefer to have the difficulties remain a factor in their characters.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

TheChirurgeon posted:

Huh, I figured players would be more interested in escaping those difficulties than roleplaying them, but I can get why they'd want to roleplay the transition with more realism. Seems like a nightmare to tackle as a GM, though

The two whose reasons I know are that getting into the mindset of someone who doesn't have hormone supplements, some anatomical disparities, etc, makes for a really jarring comedown later. So they'd love to be able to, but find it easier to deal with the same day to day reminders as usual than the heavy hit afterwards. It can definitely be tricky territory to work in.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Not doing us wizards any favours, that one. A pox on his house, etc.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah. In theory a posthuman society will also be post-gender (or at least beyond it mattering on anything but an individual, personal level), but if you try and pull it off like KC there you're loving it right up.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Artist/writer of diversity seems like a really clumsy phrase that's going to result in all kinds of idiots coming out of the woodwork, though.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, pretty much. I guarantee that a whole bunch of the stereotypical whitest motherfuckers around are going 'well, it isn't diversity if it doesn't have white dudes too!' and submitting to it on that basis, which is my main irritation with the term beyond a semantic quibble. It's going to self-select the applicants into those it's intended for and their exact opposites and make hiring more annoying for 'em.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
'Hi please remove the evidence of my wrongdoing'

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I dunno. Asking for the ant sized evidence to be deleted is still asking for evidence to be deleted.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

HazCat posted:

Those... screenshots(?) look like actual, literal garbage and I really hope no one is going to tell me they are from a product people pay actual money for.

That's also Zak's work, as a visual artist.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've always found it interesting that the response of 'sure, but it bothers the female players, who are also sex-positive feminists and in one case a sex worker, in my group' doesn't hold traction. It's almost as though the position isn't actually based on what the women at his table think or something.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's been out for a while now. They're extremely bad at this. And no - you can't buy it on DTRPG. You have to buy it from Modiphius.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Probably around the same time he defended the Holocaust? I don't know who the gently caress he is but that sounds Bad.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Personally, I'm disappointed the world never got to see a fistfight between literal Space-Wizard Jack Parsons, the true father of the space age, and Wernher von Braun, the sinister nazi saboteur.

In terms of Nazi Holocaust science, basically all we got was some vaguely useful raw data on precisely how long it takes someone to die if you do <x>, which isn't really terribly useful when the people in question were malnourished and routinely disease-ridden concentration camp inmates. Most of the useful science the Allies pillaged out of Germany wasn't developed as part of it, and was in industrial processes, chemical/biological warfare (the nazis, at the time, were the world leaders in it) and bunker design rather than the medical sphere.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I expect that might shift a little with Strange Angel being broadcast, but yeah. It's kind of like we've been staring at the Lost Cause historiography equivalent for Nazi Science over the last sixty years.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Nazi War Occultists: Hunting for the Holy Grail and murdering concentration camp inmates for medical experiments.
American War Occultists: FEAR MY ROCKET-POWERED BAZOOKA DICK, HITLER.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Let's not forget that they also decided to make the screaming blood thirsty rage a normal, natural Orcish trait and not a Demon induced thing. It turns out that Warcraft orcs really are just biologically more inclined to go into berserk killing sprees and enact horrific brutality on others.

As the Orcs have doubled as an African/Jewish metaphor for some time, this is Unfortunate.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Nessus posted:

The idea of having some kind of grendel-esque beast mode that your species can trigger in order to flip cars and own fools is pretty awesome, but it seems like this would tend to make your culture exhaustively formal and polite instead of what anyone would call 'orky'.

"Oh, Ambassador, you're in for a treat. This is the ancient customary way Orcs resolve disputes. Notice the careful use of 'I' statements and the meticulously maintained open body language!"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
An object that gathers dust clearly is not being used often enough.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

GimpInBlack posted:

You personally not wanting to buy something does not mean it has no value, and by continuing to insist that it does is denigrating the work of everyone who created that content and performed the labor necessary for it to exist.

You know, it just struck me that if the sole arbiter of if something has value is if I want to buy it, then Biomute's life has no value.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Also isn't it relatively straight forward to release a PDF these days since you're already doing digital layout? I know there are file size and performance optimizations to be done for pdf release but when you're already working digitally it's not as if you have to have two completely different production processes.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I actually bought some second hand refurb lovely tablets and use those with my library of pdfs to hand around the table. Ran me maybe 100AU in total, and it works out great. Also has the convenience of every player having every bookwe have at once, rather than slow down with people waiting turns for the magic item tables or spell lists.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Biomute posted:

I agree with this, I don't play online though.

By that theory, which I also subscribe to, only the first PDF has value. With the economics of data that value quickly approaches zero. I understand why this argument is upsetting to creators, especially those who don't have the means to produce physical representations of their labor, but that does not make it any less true.

Luckily for them (and me, seeing as I am a software developer) our society does not work like that.

Same metric, your life has no value.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, you started by declaring your support for a metric by which your own life has no value, so that's probably a good place to look.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No one here actually gives a poo poo about you preferring books.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I prefer viking recreationists, who use actual steel, just not sharpened. Since it's all play fighting anyway it's almost as safe as latex and rattan.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Depends on where, when, and how much money they had.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
And I mean, that's fair too - asking Gygax to come on board for an OSR thing (if he was alive) would make sense too. The problem is not shitcanning him when it becomes immediately obvious he's an utter fuckwit.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's almost like being a well adjusted human that's aware of prejudice both systemically and individually and takes action to check it doesn't require extensive self-flagellation or something.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I personally don't object to them keeping Swedracula on as the guy who gets the coffee and cleans the office, and nothing else.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I mean, I believe personally that there's a value to transgression and boundary pushing, but why is it that these chucklefucks never seem to understand that they aren't actually transgressing or pushing boundaries, just being dickheads retreading incredibly boring, old, pointless ground?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It would also raise awareness if I hit him with my car while yelling 'death to homophobes', but somehow I don't think he'd be okay with that.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I tend to take care of that. The group I DM enjoys 3.5 and experimental builds, but we have new players who don't have years of experience to draw on. Worse, we're gestalt assholes (started out with two players when it made sense but the group grew, so it's a legacy thing now) which makes it trickier for new folk. The solution is that I create gestalt mixes based on what they tell me they want to do in the game, making DM-approved tweaks as I go and keeping an eye towards party balance based on what we already have. They're not rigid pregens so much as just a simplified unitary class for them to manage, with line notes about optimization and some rule tweaks to make 'sub-optimal' routes not as punishing.

I'd personally rather be running FATE most of the time but 3.5 is what works for everyone at the table including our new people so I'm stuck with it, but it's the least I can do to make charop not a lovely process for the newbies.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
All my DnD groups have usually devolved into bizarre schemes and plot disregard. Abandon the mcguffin that can stop the apocalypse in order to steal and sell race horses? Might as well, the DM doesn't have the balls to actually end his precious homebrew world. Go to a town to get a quest? Why not kidnap the mayor's son instead and ransom him back!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

AlphaDog posted:

If I want this to be a successful game, and I'm DMing, do I keep pushing back hard and make them continuously escalate until we get a Tom Sharpe -esque series of cascading disasters? Or am I supposed to eventually let them have it?

Treat it like any other game. They swerve, you swerve. You might have been planning for them to fight the wizard later but they managed to one-shot him with a lucky crossbow critical as he mocked them from the other side of the ravine. Do you go 'no he survives anyway because... BECAUSE!" No. You find an alternative mode, whether the Wizard is now a minion for someone or the threat is outright averted but turns out to only be the first of many.

My PCs decide to gently caress off the main story to steal race horses? Okay. They're horse thieves now, with all that entails.They're wanted criminals and worse, the world is still slowly ending around them, so on the game goes with a new focus: Duck the law, and try not to die as it all comes crumbling down. The best disasters flow naturally. Steal a horse, don't take care to make sure there are no witnesses? You got seen, and now you're persona non grata in the villages, and worse, there's a bounty on you. Defeat the bounty hunters? That hasn't resolved the problem, it's just raised your cost and made tougher enemies come for you. Sell a horse to someone? It got recognized as market, he had it confiscated, and now his clan is out for your blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I might be on the wrong side of this but hermaphroditic gods and goddesses are an established tradition that I'm not going to break with. Doesn't make them good NB, trans, or intersex representation of course.