Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Wait, then which thread do we use for the latest gossip and online drama discussion?

Guys I may have been using the last thread wrong.

Kai Tave posted:

Thread title should be "TG As An Industry: Failing

Also when you think about it, Paradox's purchase of White Wolf really is the epitome of Yes, but

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
What is SA TG's opinion, of Fred Hicks's opinion, of gun control??

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

It probably doesn't go far enough. :colbert:

I think that guns, like tornados, are beyond human power.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I think that you'll find that alt-right trolls have more than enough time to do that.

Plenty of sincere believers are happy to do it on their own too :ssh:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Xotl posted:

IIRC second edition apparently broke that pattern. It sold well, but 1st still outsold it, according to Ryan Dancey.

Xotl posted:

according to Ryan Dancey.

:thunk:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

so what's the difference between dieselpunk and gaspunk

In Dieselpunk the air is compressed first, and then the fuel is injected.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Final Fantasy gobbledygook.

Excuse me?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

*clears throat loudly* eberron is khyberpunk

It's dungeon punk!

*screams loudly while shaking you* It's literally dungeon punk

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

Eberron is badpunk.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

You are not good enough for Pop Team Epic. Get your hands off.

凸o3o凸

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

How much did PF1 change in playtest? Did they actually change the design at all?

Yeah, mostly just making it even more like 3.5 and removing a neat thing from martials I can’t remember anymore. I still preferred the Open Dev process in Beast the Primordial.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 7, 2018

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

You have a terrible gimmick.

At least Beast tried to improve, and failed, instead of seeking to make things worse ala PF’s playtest :colbert:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Uhhh....

Pretty much the only thing I've heard that actually changed mechanically out of playtesting is that prior to playtesting the Beasts with Flying Horrors didn't actually have an atavism that allowed them to fly.
And they removed "You Are Meat" because the condition it tagged people with was loving broken, but re-introduced it as a story specific nightmare that only affects other supernaturals until they sufficiently suck the Beast's dick.

Oh, mechanically, they’re both hosed :haw:

I remember that it changed some of the fluff to make the idea of it more palatable. It didn’t succeed, but There Was An Attempt

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I’ve never seen open development result in any serious changes or ground-up reworks of blatantly bad ideas. Either fans like what is put out in the initial release and maybe want some tweaks to this or that pet issue, or they just hate it from the word go.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The recent L5R gives me hope. They seemed responsive to a lot more of the complaints than I expected.

As long as the Crab are still the best, and strongest

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Warthur posted:

It happened with the Dark Heresy 2E playtest - the original version was a much more radical revision but they toned it down when people yelled about it losing cross-compatibility with old editions and other FFG 40K RPGs.

That was honestly an argument against the playtest.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I legit don't understand why you continue to defend Paizo as much as you do, especially considering how hard they've walked back on their whole "we're the good progressive company!" thing.

I support Paizo, as well as Arivia :shobon:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, notionally it's an easy fix. Just scale magic to combat, and remove non combat magic from casters entirely to the realm of magic items and plot macguffins.

Just have realistic spellcasting grounded in reality, thus meaning that the only school of magic is Illusion, via cumbersome trick mirrors.

“I roll to stun the Orc, by leaving him flabbergasted as I pull an extremely large set of handkerchiefs from my nose!”

“Make a sleight of hand check to safely pull the deadly cobra from your hat!”

And so on, there I’ve singlehandedly saved D&D your welcome.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

This is excellent, as long as we assume that the setting considers this a necessary and worthwhile addition to a party, in much the same way it's ridiculous to assume adventuring parties exist in the first place.

Why wouldn’t you bring him along? He can pull platinum coins from out of people’s ears, an infinite number of times per day.

Also, realistic clerics cannot heal wounds, but can confer a morale based temporary HP via faith healing, and the placebo effect.

Alternatively, just keep the classes largely the same as they are now, but establish in no uncertain terms in the core that the Fighter is more handsome, popular, and has a bigger penis than the Wizard.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

Pathfinder does not have Zak Smith or John Tarnowski as consultants u.u

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ither posted:

My favorite edition of DnD is 13th Age.

Same :3:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It's why having damage multiply by level for both wizards and fighters is a good idea from 13th Age

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Okay so after a lot of thinking: Pathfinder is better than D&D 5E, because I can play Pugmire on Pathfinder and not D&D 5E

ERGO

Pathfinder wins. Okay glad we were able to sort that one out at least.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Warthur posted:

Isn't that exactly the reverse, Pugmire being based on the 5E OGL?

I hosed UP AGAIN

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kibner posted:

There is also a computer game version of it called Throne of Lies which takes advantage of it being on the computer with things like psychic being able to talk telepathically to someone at night. And contents of whispering during the day being hidden, but not who is doing the whispering and who they are whispering to.

Also all the classes have different gimmicks and neutral classes have unique win conditions. The Fool can impersonate other players in whispers, and their goal is to trick the other players into executing them during a trial (it doesn’t count if another player murders them outside a trial). Or neutral killers like the puppet master who can hop from body to body without warning during Night phases.

It’s good.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Who else is loving hype for the Lord of the Rings prequel series only on Amazon Prime :toot:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

homullus posted:

is it the Sellamillion

Christopher Tolkien resigned as head of the Tolkien foundation when it was announced :ssh:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

I mean, he hated the Peter Jackson movies because they were "action flicks for fifteen year olds."

The Hobbit deserved any and all criticism leveled at it though.

The loving romantic subplot for example.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Warthur posted:

They did say they'd ceased working with him.

On the other hand, who fancies taking them at their word these days?

What basically owns about this post is that even though Green Ronin may have gotten rid of the rape-man, they can still be treated as if the rape-man is still present and/or actively being endorsed because we can’t trust anything they may say after loving up the first time. Unfucking themselves is unattainable, any attempt is always going to be in bad faith.

In retrospect the last paragraph comes off as kind of bitchy sounding, but I want to add that I actually do this sort of thing all the time, and I love it.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's kind of incredible how unaware you are that you're an evil piece of poo poo.

The Deleter posted:

You're so loving dense that you might actually be responsible for the sinking of the Titanic. Your intense stupidity and small-minded evil pettiness could drag down a 50,000 ton ocean liner to the bottom of the sea. You loving imbecile. Shut the gently caress up.

I’m not even saying you’re obliged to trust Green Ronin, fam. gently caress them, I have zero investment in them as a consumer, and them being hated is at least at least funny for me!

It’s just that, even if they do try to change things now or later on, I can still continue to poo poo on them for loving up in the first place. They mishandled Suleiman, and being honest, no truly good person would have hosed up like that in the first place.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

What the gently caress are you even saying at this point?

That Green Ronin won’t ever be able to salvage its reputation no matter what it might do, and that’s funny and cool, at least to me.

What are you projecting onto my statements?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Hah hah! It is funny you see! I was only pretending to be a bad poster!

I mean, I am a little surprised something like Mods Green Ronin Knew isn't a thing... yet!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Unconscionable

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Can we please do anything besides turning this thread into a something sensitive-lite for another website again?

I for one think that it doing so is extremely good, and chill!

PST posted:

It's okay to admit to covering up abuse you know about because you don't want to deal with any consequences and equally it's okay to cover up for friends while criticising other people for doing the same thing.

Are you implying that being super woke while also supporting lovely people is hypocritical, and bad? Whoa...

PST posted:

I'm going to assume the worst about Holden and say yes ... but i've not seen any evidence.

I mean, I can’t disagree with this sort of mindset: I do this all the time with people and things I dislike too. Just take care, as the last page has sort of established that doing this kind of thing is apparently a deviation from the Lawful/Good axis :rolleye:

Kurieg posted:

Iirc the CAS is an anti Semite thing came about because he's Palestinian and Holden was grasping at straws trying to smear poo poo on anyone else to make himself look better.

I remember hearing about those rumors way earlier than that, a little after newMummy was released on one of the SA TG IRCs. Though I didn’t exactly buy them then, either.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

JackMann posted:

Apropos of nothing, I vaguely remember a game designer once had a tone deaf suggestion of using the inner city as the setting for a dungeon crawl. I want to say this was from something in the 90's. Does anyone else remember this, or am I going crazy?

I'm pretty sure that was just the dude trying to do a satire, and trying to make the point that a bunch of adventurers going into an encampment and killing all the orcs and goblins they can find was also a hosed up thing to do.

I'm not sure if Goblin Slayer would approve though.

Libertad! posted:

I prefer the X-Crawl setting's version, where dungeon-crawling is a competitive Pay-Per-View blood sport industry. It chews up and spits out promising young talent without so much as a "thank you" and runs on sheer consumerism. Just like real sports.

It was also a televised LARPing deathmatch run by God-Emperor Ronald Reagan.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's nice that goblin slayer came along to perfectly demonstrate what I mean when I say a piece of media is for violent middle school boys.

Middle school boys should not be reading Goblin Slayer, or Berserk.

Heliotrope posted:

I think you're thinking of Violence, which set the game of "go into a place and kill everyone/take everything" into the modern age to point up how hosed up it was. If I remember correctly, there were locations/stats of wealthier people included so it wasn't just "going into the poorer parts of cities and killing the people there would be a rad dungeon crawl!" which is what it sounds like the dude in JackMann's post was advocating.

Yeah, I definitely remember a guy making an rpg set in modern times but framed just like a dungeon crawl. I think that might be it.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

They absolutely shouldn't be, but they are also literally the only people it could possibly appeal to. Well them and adults who haven't grown since middle school.

*nods* I would probably also put Devilman: Crybaby on that list.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Bedlamdan continuing their streak of being wrong about literally everything.

Cryman: Devilbaby

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Really, it’s not even that Crybaby is bad, it’s just that when you see someone get devoured alive by a vagina monster in the first episode, you really know what you’re getting into if you keep watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

golden bubble posted:

Just like how the goblin slayer intro is all about goblins raping nubile female adventures before getting slaughtered by the main character. It takes a certain type of reader to make it past those chapters.

In all cases it all amounts to cheap shock value designed to be appalling or disturbing. Could they get away with leaving things implied or using something less gratuitous or edgy? Yeah, totally! I love Berserk but I’m never going to recommend it to people who are sensitive about this kind of thing. I felt that reading Berserk was often a difficult and somewhat scarring experience, and I still admire it a lot. The most I can say as that at least it’s all played as something disgusting and negative.

Now contrast all that to stuff like Re:Monster where the protagonist does the exact same things as the monsters in Goblin Slayer, but for some reason is supposed to be the good guy.

Which is why Goblin Slayer vs. Re:Monster is a good concept for a crossover, at least.