Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

You're statements strongly imply that you believe that people
a.) People make rational purchasing decisions and
b.) Psuedo-monopolies have motivation to provide the best product.

Both of those implications are ludicrous.

Appealing ≠ rational. You're reading things into the argument that aren't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Cthulhutech had some of the most dogshit rules ever made for a game and a setting that barely hung together and adventures where you were supposed to have your players get drugged and raped and impregnated, but it had snazzy art and an elevator pitch of "cthulhus versus robots!!!!!" so it sold well enough to fund eight whole books, there is absolutely no evidence that the TRPG hobby gives the slightest poo poo about the quality of writing or gameplay when it comes to what does and doesn't sell.

At this point, you seem to just be bitter about human nature and how people decide to purchase things. Unless you've got a plan to change human thought processes, it may be best to take a step back.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
It feels bitter based of the fact that your posts feel pretty angry about failings of the game industry. Your other posts indicate you've got an active business stake in the industry, and if this is your mindset, you're going to burnout/burn down.

If I can digress for a bit, my background is a pharmacist. I'm highly trained in a narrow field, and I'm regularly interacting and advising the general public who don't know poo poo from a shingle in the topic. Its not rpg industry, but I am used to people who don't actually know what's good. What I've also found, is you've got to come to people where they are. The colleagues who rail against people not making the top level healthy choices are ineffective and frustrated. You're better off if you get people to make the better choice they can handle today, and put in place the actions, knowledge, and trust that lays the groundwork for better choices tomorrow. And while the pharmacy industry is also hosed (US healthcare!) the times I've spent wallowing on industry-wide structural issues have been incredibly bad for my mental health. If I'm not interested in doing the corporate ladder climbing (I'm not) to change those issues, spending on my mental time on those issues outside my control is the way to madness.

So I see these conversations about how all these consumers are wrong, and, well, tough poo poo. The public don't owe any creator anything, particularly for an optional luxury product such a game. I'm all for improving peoples taste, but the onus is on the people advocating for the public to have better tastes to teach and uplift them. Anything else, tough poo poo. Welcome to the world as it is.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Drone posted:

Regarding metaplot: is it just me completely missing something as a GM, or do people actually give a poo poo/pay attention to metaplot?

Even when I GM something like Star Wars, with a very specific and very well-known "metaplot" happening, I will always just throw it out the window and tell the story of my party and my adventurers in that setting. Specifically I like to just assume the heroes from the movies literally don't exist in my game's canon.

Do people not do that often?

I tend not to do metaplot games, but this post does make me want to run a Star Wars campaign of "here's what really happened" where the cannon heros are bumbling idiots stumbling into credit for all the awesome things the PCs are doing. Would take a group that's on board with the idea, but could be a fun re-telling

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

That's kinda how the tau started off with the whole greater good thing before everyone cried "wtf this sucks" so they gave it a darker twist, no? That was probably the canary in a coal mine if they ever planned on doing something like that to the imperium of man.

That was also during the "lol, what's market research" age though, wasn't it? Its very possible that was just the loudest voices and not the majority. It may be worth revisiting.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work

I've got a translation of this passage from Jackson Crawford (the guy in the Youtube video), and he translates it as

quote:

I began to be fruitful,
I became wise,
I grew, and I thrived.
One word chased another word . . .

I've also done some amateur study of modern Swedish, and it seems to have the same multiple connotations of "fruitful" as English: to be productive or to have children.

The passages immediately before and after aren't particularly sexual in nature (although other passages certainly are), so I'd read it in the "productive" manner of things. This may be a case of the original Old Norse having multiple interpretations and/or interpretation losing the original sense over the centuries.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

potatocubed posted:

Just a side comment here. The friction with GW isn't 'how do I assemble and paint miniatures', it's having to assemble and paint the bloody things at all.

For a least a decent part of the player-base, that's not the friction, that's the game. A lot of these details that are getting written off as friction are, to at least a segment of the market, product differentiators that buyers look for.

For example: I play both warhammer tabletop and also Total War Warhammer. Total War Warhammer let's me play any army with any models I want with about 5-10 minutes of start up. Sometimes, though, I want the tactile feedback of actually pushing models around a table. And it was the art aspect of painting (with 10-15 different pots of paint) that drew me back in after a break in playing. I've got an entire faction complete army that I've never played with, I just like the painting/modeling aspect of the factio .

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Now I'm wanting to run something where the Eye and Hand of Vecna are spies and assassins that get ceremoniously sacrificed every so often.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I'm guessing someone had to shuffle, offered the deck to the opponent to cut, it got set down and the wrong deck picked up?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
No electronic transmission in the playing area is accurate, if a bit misleading. Feller had an accomplice who would get an SMS message outside the playing area, then return to visual range of Feller and relay the suggestion via predetermined signals.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
No security is ever defeat-proof, it's just a matter of if someone can dedicate enough time/money/expertise towards defeating it.

That said, I still think Carlson is being poo poo here. Either say you think Nieman's cheating or play on and don't say anything at all. None of this have your cake and eat it too.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Magnus is allowed (depending on local libel/slander laws) to make coy statements intended to make everyone infer that Nieman is a cheater without providing any backing evidence.

I'm allowed to think Magnus is a poo poo for trying to ruin someone's reputation without providing any evidence or even making a clear allegation.

Note: I also think chess.com's more recent reveals are plenty enough evidence to say Nieman is a cheater and untrustworthy in the competitive arena. If I was a tournament organizer, I'd be running through the tournament rules to see if that was enough to keep Niemann from participating.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Internet theorists were dumbfounded and gobsmacked recently when the lead designer revealed that 75% of players still don't know what Standard Format or Planeswalkers are.

Can you expound on the Planeswalkers part a bit? Not knowing Standard, sure. 75% of players not knowing planeswalkers, a regularly seen card type, seems weird though. The statement is also vague in a couple ways that could sort that out (don't know *both* standard and planeswalkers, planeswalker the lore concept, etc.)

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
It's weird in that the only bad thing that's she's alleging in the tweets (that were posted, I'm not digging into her tweet history) is that CR published her stuff without permission. If that's the case, why are you posting on Twitter? CR is a multi-million dollar organization, get a lawyer and get paid.

Baseline interpretation is that things don't make sense, which makes me think I'm not getting the whole story here.

Edit: As far as the NDA itself, was it sent as the document only, no context? Someone hosed up an email list. Embarrassing, but a human mistake. Did it come with context specific to the artist? Possibly hosed up, but the artist isn't providing that info.

PharmerBoy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 30, 2022

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

moths posted:

The million dollars company can and will have better lawyers that you. Always.

Better lawyers that can magic up an agreement to publish? IANAL, but it seems like a pretty clear area of law. If the issue is she signed a contract earlier without realizing the extent of the agreement, that's on her. And also really venturing into the realm of hypotheticals.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

Looking a little at some of her subtweets and threads there I read it more like her position is "A big story is about to break about CR loving over artists, so they're scrambling to get every artist to sign new NDAs, but are really incompetent about it."

Like this, this is something. That's what you lead with, and the NDA is only lovely as a secondary effect to cover up loving over artists.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Then she needs to allege it. What was the material published? The only receipts being posted are the existence of a boilerplate NDA. If you want me to get mad that NDAs exist, nah.

Edit: Actually, looking at her Tweet again, it's a "If you see ANY of my work . . ." She's not even clearly saying they did publish anything, that could a future warning. So all that Tweet reads as is how dare someone send her an NDA.

PharmerBoy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 30, 2022

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Section 9.d also provides an escape clause for them to invalidate their entire (perpetual) document should they so choose.

Kind of. That's saying if a court finds that any part of the license is invalid, and throws that part out, Wizards claims the right to say the rest of the agreement can't function without the thrown-out section and the entire agreement gets thrown out.

Whether that would stand up in court, *shrug* IANAL

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I mean . . . yeah? That's Wizards saying, "We're cool with Deal A, we don't want to unintentionally sign up for Deal B if a judge changes things. We'll renegotiate from square one in that case." Which seams reasonable, and I'm betting is also standard language if we start doing Severability comparisons.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
How's the sensitivity of PF anymore? I vaguely remember some "Oriental Adventures"-level poo poo out of PF when it was back in 1e, but haven't kept up with it since then.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
This entire thread has had some strong "economists flummoxed market isn't entirely rational" energy going on for a while.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Fail forward/success (or failure) with consequences/complications is a skill and like any skill it takes practice and also it's really really helpful to be tutored. Along that line, are there some videos of actual play that are actually actual play, like by the rules, for some of these games? Real world examples can be tremendously helpful in getting a gut feel for how it's "supposed to work".

The Adventure Zone has recently started a Blades in the Dark (custom setting) season. It's hit a nice spot of listenability for me (I normally bounce off actual plays), and it has helped me work on some aspects of the system while I'm trying to run it for my group when none of us at the table have experience with it.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I would expect the skew of players has significant differences between DnD and even PF. As the entry/casual product (not trying to be an insult, just the product you'll find with minimal effort), I expect a much larger portion of DnD player groups don't hit high levels as players realize they're not actually into RPGs/they find another RPG they like better/other expectations don't meet reality.

PF, even though it's still a big name, probably has a lot more players who know exactly what they're getting into, so campaigns are likely to go longer & higher. It's fairly reasonable that WotC may want to skew their products towards the majority of customers at low level, while other companies can serve a larger portion of their players with higher level content.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
It is possible to play neither DnD or PF in the rpg space, and think they're both lovely. DnD for cutthroat loving over a business partner, and PF for setting back rpgs by 10 years by actively creating a regressive culture war over mechanics.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
True enough. For as long as there are nerds we will argue over pedantic poo poo.

I'll revise the statement to granting the culture war a marketing budget.

PharmerBoy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 7, 2023

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Well, this sucks. I was just going in for a nice gaming table. Anyone have any info on other gaming table manufacturers, or advice on how to engage a local carpenter?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
It's more egregious in his case since Zak leans super hard on nothing being real unless a court says it, but then immediately turning around and saying the court can be wrong if it disagrees with him.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Regarding art AI, ethics, and society, my main critical frame of reference in regards to its existence and expansion is "Does this entrench existing corporate power?"

I'm not really onboard with any arguments that its illegal/unethical to use existing art within the AI's frame of references. Are there any existing frameworks that would support either the idea of placing art into a restricted public viewing (eg, humans can only view my art for pleasure, they aren't allowed to be inspired by it), or restricting humans from producing art in an existing artists style when the new work is not a forgery of a pre-existing work? To my knowledge, no, but I'm not an expert here, so this is an honest question. What I'm really not in favor of is expanding restrictions on use of existing art, because its absolutely going to be the Disney's with infinite lawyer money that benefit from stamping down on independent artists for "infringing on their style."

What is out right concerning for me is how AI art is another concentration of power in the hands of the ownership class. What is currently the necessity of going through many humans for labor can now be consolidated in the permanent ownership of production amongst a small group. This is ultimately a massive issue inherent in capitalism and automation, which probably isn't solvable outside of issues that probably aren't great for discussion in the TG Industry chat.

PharmerBoy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 15, 2023

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

https://twitter.com/Eric_Wallace_/status/1620449934863642624

Here's a whitepaper from a group of folks discussing how AI art generators "memorize" images and will reproduce those images almost exactly. It is not something that always happens. However, even if this didn't happen, the fact remains that it has similar ethical problems to tracing. This isn't a human being looking at a reference and creating something new from their own experience and training, and people should not discuss it in those terms.

That paper overall is written about hacking image generating AI to obtain training images, and that practice's impact on privacy concerns. As I'm reading it, they generated thousands of images and then reverse engineer the similarities among the images to recreate the source. The privacy aspect is a valid concern, but completely different than anything that has been brought up here.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

If the generators are outputting images that are nearly identical to the source image, which they provably are, then that is an additional concern on top of everything else that is being discussed.

Good job only responding to the portion of my post that supports your argument. Want to comment on the rest?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I wonder how much of this would have also been said about photography when it first came about.

• produces images much quicker than existing methods? Check.
  • can be performed by someone with far less training than existing art creation? Check.
  • The above two items threaten existing economics of art creation? Check.
  • results are lovely when churned out by someone who doesn't know what they're doing as quickly as possible? Check.
  • results are lovely when produced by someone with no eye for balance, composition, and style? Check
  • Can produce a 1-to-1 copy of someone else's work (for at least certain mediums)? Check.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
We've had posts within the last 1-2 hours detailing how what we're discussing as "AI Art" actually exists on a continuum of programs intended for a variety of purposes outside of generating new art.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Add on instead of edit.

For everything else, I think this is the more important point

Serf posted:

Also the argument about whether or not the AI spits out tracings is tedious distraction.

Tracing/copying is going to be something any useful tool for art can do, and will do in the hands of bad actors. The effect of a new tool on human beings, and who has control of that new tool are the more important issues. Which I think is where you're heading with that, or correct me otherwise.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you feed someone's art into an algorithm, when they didn't want it to be, how is that not theft

Trying to establish that the AI outputs any one specific image seems almost irrelevant

Is it theft for a human to look at someone's art and iterate off of it? If it is (or should be), can you describe how this system protects independent artists while avoiding abuse by media conglomerates?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
The line of discussion started by gradenko seemed to be operating on the idea that these programs saved all the images they were trained on in their programing.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
One last item of interest regarding AI as I move off the topic: There are ongoing recent lawsuits against Stable Diffusion and similarly placed organizations. One by a collection of artists artists, one by Getty Images.

The arguments, as presented in the articles, are pretty much a more eloquent rehashing of everything that's already been in this topic, so I won't get into them. Something for people to keep an eye on, however.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Is the old guy anyone of importance? I generally don't watch rear end in a top hat's videos on the principal of "Don't give them the views," so I don't particularly want to click on it if it's just some rando.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
You seem to be implying that ORC, or people wishing to use ORC, are forcing groups into this agreement. Do you have any significant sources to this effect? Significant, because as was just discussed with the YouTube vid, you will always be able to find at least one weirdo somewhere on the internet with a bad opinion

Absent that, you're concerned about a scenario that isn't happening and shows no sign of happening.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Homullus, I'm at a loss as to what you don't like about the situation. You're coming across as unhappy about either a)two consenting adults/corporations/combo thereof are entering freely into an agreement they find mutually beneficial, or b)consumers in that industry are pleased about actions that indicate future additional development of products their interested in.

Serious question, I am not understanding the complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
That was some awfully quick red text for someone who doesn't seem to be on board with "Pinkertons are a good thing."