Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

If I can get an impression of how a game works without having to go to a convention full of sweaty neckbeards to play it then hell yeah I'm going to watch a stream of it.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There was an update on the One Shot podcast investigation: http://oneshotpodcast.com/uncategorized/harassment-investigation-stament/

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

This is a theoretical cousin, right, like the high school girlfriend you don't know because she lives in Canada?

'cause I ain't never seen an actual dieselpunk work.

I mean, the only working steampunk is The Difference Engine, so in that respect they're pretty closely related.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

*clears throat loudly* eberron is khyberpunk

:ghost:

Kai Tave posted:

Tbh I see this as kind of an odd fit. Eberron isn't really dystopian enough out of the box to really make that take work without changing some things, and while the Houses have a lot of power they aren't really supplanting the governments of the world the way the quintessential cyberpunk megacorporate entity is.

They absolutely do - they have complete control over specific areas of commerce, overriding governments, and have significant wealth and political power. You can just ignore the Houses completely in your campaign if you want, but in keeping with Eberron's mashing the 19th century, Wild West, 1920s and Cold War together, textually, the Houses are a mashup of 1920s and cyberpunk corporations.

The setting doesn't have to be particularly dystopian for them to exist as entities that are distinct political/economic international actors from governments, have their own private armies to project force with, and interests that they act on that at best don't align with national interests, and at worse are intrinsically inimical to them (which is what they are, which is why they get compared liked that :v:). Them being cyberpunk-style corporations doesn't require anyone to be *punk, either.

(Eberron being called "dungeonpunk" is another one of those "*punk just means aesthetics" things, sadly.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 4, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
D&D is absolutely the wrong system to run it in, but someone should do an Eberron campaign where the PCs work as prosecutors and investigators for the Thronehold Tribunal and are tasked with proving breaches of the Treaty by the Houses.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

quote:

Shields no longer give a flat AC bonus. Instead, you spend 1 action to ready it, giving you its AC bonus and an extra reaction. (I like this, in theory)

You can spend Reactions to do various things. For example, "Nimble Dodge" gives you an AC bonus vs a single melee attack. Fighters get a lot of Reaction options.

Wow, what hot, exciting non-caster gameplay.

Kurieg posted:

Well that sounds fiddly as hell and a bookkeeping nightmare.

If it were any other company I would just assume that spell action cost is determined to balance the spell and is included in the spell stat block, and then the number and nature of components it has is just based on how many actions it takes to cast, not the other way around.

But alas, this is Paizo and Pathfinder.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Paolomania posted:

Jeezus the slap fighting will never end. Oh and gently caress agro mechanics in a ttrpg.

Which RPGs have farming mechanics in them?

Elfgames posted:

the spellplague was the only interesting bit of FR i've ever read

Maybe if you didn't like FR, sure. I don't either, and I still found the setting entirely boring after the 4E changes.

The Spellplague and FR cosmology changes were bad because all they did was make the setting worse for people who like it and not actually make the setting any more interesting for the rest of us. There was absolutely no point to them, and trying to shoehorn the PoL planes into everything was completely stupid.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 10, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

I guess one of the reasons why people are so unwilling to do this is because people don't want any wuxia and want everything that a fighter does to be completely possible in real life. That idea is admittedly dumb as nails and makes no sense but people are very against it for some reason.

No but you see casters can't do anything that's impossible in real life either, therefore

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
13th Age has appallingly bad class design which commits just about every mistake mentioned in the course of the "beginner classes" discussion.

Shame, since the core system is reasonably solid and the game has some neat ideas like the backgrounds and icons.

The only bad thing I have to say about Shadow of the Demon Lord is that I'm too old for 90s maggotty poop humour, and the game assumes a lower in-fiction level of character power than I like.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 11, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zurui posted:

FFG will produce a revolutionary, interesting take on D&D with new mechanics.

It'll be another bad d% game that exists purely as an excuse to sell overpriced custom dice with really badly-designed symbols on them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't know if these have been there for a while and only just slipped through my adblocker or something but :laffo: DTRPG have some customer testimonials on the checkout screen now?

I'm sure unnamed customers have definitely said that about DTRPG, that sounds completely legitimate.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I too enjoyed Antoine Fuqua's The Magnificent Six remake

The Magnificent Seven remake was absolutely dire and comically missed the point by changing the leader's motivation for standing up to the bandits. :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PST posted:

It's been reported (and this is a big dose of a pinch of salt) that Eurazeo might be looking to sell Asmodee for 2 billion euros

https://www.boursier.com/actions/actualites/news/eurazeo-fin-de-partie-avec-asmodee-759686.html

Bad google translate

It's a shockingly good Google translate, actually. Only mistake is a rogue "million euros" between 79.7 and % (no idea how it got there). The rest is 100% accurate.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Who is Mearls?

The lead designer of D&D, who is a terrible designer on top of being a piece of poo poo who forwards emails from harassment victims to their harasser.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Now I wonder what system could handle the Nasu-verse. Or how you would even broach it.

Fate.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I'm terrible at FATE. However Cortex might work. Thanks inadvertently!

Cortex would definitely also work fine, but it's not a pun. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

What's supppsed to be the appeal of the Nasuverse beyond collecting merchandise of your favorite waifu? Every time I try looking it up or asking friends who pay attention to it, my eyes involuntarily glaze over.

It's about 70% waifu collecting and 30% "Nasu is good at writing weird complicated systems of magic/metaphysics that are internally consistent," which is something a not-insignificant portion of people who like elfgames enjoy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, definitely no one ever got paid for writing RPGs back in 2014. Sorry guys, money was only invented in 2017, so it's normal.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
"The Kickstarter was run several years ago" is a point that is neither intelligent nor helpful when the argument is that it's unethical to make people produce work for you pro bono, both because you should compensate people for their work so they don't starve and because pro bono work drives the value of work in general down, negatively impacting everyone else who wants to write RPGs professionally.

e; like, these ethical imperatives didn't spring out of the aether on the 1st of January 2018, people have been talking about pay in the RPG industry for a good few years now.

Plus, you know, "making backers think the writers would get paid by making these hacks stretch goals" wasn't kosher in 2014 either.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 30, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PST posted:

Jonny Hodgson's leaving Cubicle 7 as of September. Given his art direction and overall management on The One Ring really defined the look and feel, not to mention his involvement in getting Adventures of Middle Earth to happen, I think this is a big loss for C7, and one they'll struggle to replace.

drat, that's a huge loss. TOR will remain one of the best systems ever written, but Hodgson's art is incredible and a huge contribution to the books. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Desiden posted:

This whole debacle just makes me more confused as to why anyone uses twitter in the first place. Is there anything twitter is actually better at than other platforms to publicly post stuff, other than "let randos butt in whenever they feel like it"?

If you work in a creative industry (which the games industry is, especially if you're an artist or designer), being visible on social media is incredibly important for getting job opportunities, and unfortunately Twitter is the most visible social media platform right now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

but he was canny enough to be vocally anti-GG

Zak's entire online persona is built on pretending to be progressive which is why he has publicly decried GG in the past, but the Venn diagram of Zak and GG's tactics and ideology have always been just one big ol' circle.

It'll feed into his persecution complex because he'll loudly crow that literally any form of disagreeing with him constitutes harassment, but describing him as a Gamergater is still correct.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 9, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saguaro PI posted:

This thing folks sometimes do where all the people we hate need to be best buds is both rhetorically lazy and just super weird. I think it's reasonable to point out the situations where his ideology and tactics intersect, but there's no need to say his bullshit is exactly the same as their bullshit.

One of these two things is a hate group that organises the mass harassment of minorities in the games/games journalism industry in an effort to push them out of that industry. The other is a guy who organises the mass harassment of minorities in the tabletop industry in an effort to push them out of that industry.

It's the same loving bullshit.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 9, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

is there something we can do about this or do we just watch our hobby get dragged kicking and screaming in the Edgy 90s

Boycott WW and Paradox, and make it clear to others that you think nuWW are poo poo. Paradox have already openly stated they don't give a poo poo that WW is being run by these people.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This is a pretty bad post that you maybe shouldn't have made!

All they did was point out that the article kickstarted another wave of harassment aimed at them because the dude didn't take the necessary steps to protect Zak's victims (which he didn't).

I was with him until that bullet point, where he literally blames them for calling out his lack of attention paid to people who were put in danger by the post, which is a pretty loving lovely thing to do.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 11, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sion posted:

How the gently caress does he get any work.
  • he pretends to be progressive while hiding his harassment in a way that means that the people who run the tabletop industry don't see it because most of them are white men and he doesn't go after those;
  • nerd culture openly encourages people who "just say what they're thinking" as part of its underdog narrative so he gets away with with making death threats and saying slurs and people explain it as "oh, he just values honesty, he's actually a good guy;"
  • the industry pays like poo poo and has zero job security, so people don't want to or can't afford to "make waves" by speaking out if they want to keep being a professional part of it;
  • amazingly, it turns out that middle-aged white dudes who think marketing their games to appeal to Nazis is good don't actually care that he's a queerphobic serial harasser.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:laffo:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

D&D Esports

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The idea is that the feat represents being really good at disguising yourself, such that you can disguise yourself as the opposite gender or someone of another ancestry without taking a penalty.

The problem is tying that to a physical aspect (being androgynous or looking older than your age or whatever), which makes no sense for a feat that is supposed to represent being really skilled at disguising yourself.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm trying really hard not to be snarky here....if you could put 10 dollars a week into a "fun money" account you have enough to buy this in a year.

I have a friend who backed Invisible Sun, he did the 500 dollar tier - it's his only RPG purchase for a while, he's basically theme parking it, it's his big indulgence. The dude is not well off financially, he rents a room at a friend's house. Insane to call that privileged.

Many people do not have the ability to do this, for a large variety of reasons.

Many more people just flat out do not have the ability to drop $500 of their money on anything that isn't rent or keeping their car running so they can get to work and keep making just enough money to not end up homeless and starving.

$500 is a lot of money no matter how you slice it. The ability to spend it on something that isn't strictly necessary for your survival absolutely is privilege. It doesn't matter that your friend isn't well-off and rents a room in a friend's house, he is still more privileged than many other people because privilege is not a binary state, it's a scale*.

*Technically it's a number of different scales.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 15, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You know who agrees with you? Right wing conservative freaks who shriek "BUT YOU HAVE A SMARTPHONE!!!!" to anyone who complains about anything. That's the demo that loves the way you're framing this.

You're an idiot who quite literally does not have a clue what the word "privilege" means in the context it is being used in in this conversation.

If you could please make the absolute bare minimum effort required to read up on the concept before trying to post about it, that would be lovely.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 17, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Considering they've basically been giving away every supplement to anyone who backed the KS, I'm not surprised. :(

Here's the relevant quote about "dramatic shakeups":

quote:

Hey folks, this is John.

We've recently had to go through some rather dramatic changes. We're rebuilding in a lot of ways. I'll be your primary contact for the immediate future. I'll detail more on that when I have more information.

As for more announcements, I'll be letting you know shortly. There have been a lot of changes and a lot of stuff not ready to talk about yet. I want to make sure to get everything right.

If you have any questions, be sure to let me know.

Take care,

John

He also announced free adventures will be going up on the 7th Sea site weekly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arthil posted:

Wait.

When the hell did Boogie of all people become the Bad Guy?

He literally always has been.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't think the article needs to treat its readers like they're idiots.

The X card is not a new concept. Biological determinism is a discredited 19th century theory that is fairly well-defined and -understood, and a basic tenet of eugenics. The satanic panic is over and people don't need to argue that pushing for games where conflict resolution isn't predicated on murder first and foremost is going to result in the police coming to take away everyone's RPGs.

None of that needs explaining in an article aimed at people who are clued-in enough to want to make their games less appealing to nazis.

Meinberg posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to talk about this, but I recently put up a blog post about strategies that game designers and runners can employ to make their games less appealing to fascists.

It's a solid introduction to the concept, though I would make a point about embracing queer narratives separately from the one about gender essentialism.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 22, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

That’s literally well over 1,000 years out of date.

What?

His point is that if someone were to try to claim Chinese thought paints protagonists as outcasts and not adulated heroes (this is presumably the point you don't agree with because it's reducing the entirety of Chinese culture to one statement), why would they point to Maoism and not just wuxia, the genre of Chinese fiction where adventuring protagonists are painted as outcasts and not adulated heroes.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 24, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

The people making it are objectively less terrible than the 5e team

In all fairness this is the absolute lowest bar to clear.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zereth posted:

"Retro"?

It works for video games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
a) gently caress John Wick.

b) this is what happens when you give away your entire loving product line to all your KS backers.

What a colossal loving mismanaged shitshow run by a colossal loving idiot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Biomute posted:

Yet people do this all the time. They buy guitars they will never really play, or action figures that will never leave their boxes. Hell, even people who do play Call of Cthulhu have no "good" reason to pick up every nearly identical edition, yet they do. I might play my latest purchase, but even if I don't just owning it, reading it, feeling good about supporting a product I believe in and enjoying having it on my shelf gives it far more worth than some data in a server park somewhere.

Plenty of people buy PDFs of games they never really play.

PS: you're a loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's constant at the undergrad level. You don't stop seeing models that assume rational actors until post-grad economics, if that.