Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kestral posted:

It's understandable that he's still GMing on streams, because those streams are contractual obligations, and they're how he makes almost 100% of his income. Adam's one of the vanishingly few RPG streamers who was successful enough at it to quit his day job, so it's no surprise that he needs to keep doing the thing he's being paid for even in the midst of a PR crisis.

Watching that scene, it strikes me that I have been at tables that could have worked their way through it to an end people were comfortable with, whether that's through safety tools or a hard break in the game to talk it over. It is profoundly uncomfortable content, but not unapproachable. But, those games weren't being streamed live to an audience of thousands, with a cast of people who are being paid to be on that stream, and whose strongest professional instinct is "Never Interrupt the Stream." Safety tools weren't developed for that environment, and I strongly suspect the ones we currently have don't work there. Hard breaks in a streamed game because someone is uncomfortable go against the nature of the cast and the format. This is weird new territory for the industry, a place where our tabletop instincts and the demands of professional independent broadcasting are incompatible, and it's becoming increasingly clear how far we have to go before we can reconcile them.

Not to say that Tools would have fixed it and the lack of them was the only problem, as he clearly hosed up and at the very best most generous interpretation completely lost his tether to the game and the players, in service of whatever story he thought was a good idea.

But I've seen the X card work on streams. they just stop talking about that situation. and carry on. Hell I've seen it invoked on streams Adam himself was running, and he/the players involved just stopped the scene and moved on.

The GM/Player just stops. And then they segue to something else/move to another character. The Discussion around the X and what triggered it happens after the stream.

Not to say that people don't have a resistance to rocking the boat or interrupting the stream. It's why the X is literally just something you toss into chat/ping on the VTT to let whoever is talking know that they need to shut up and move on.

But once again, he clearly overstepped dramatically, regardless of the tools or lack of tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kurieg posted:

It's this buddy. He gave a PR "I'm sorry you were offended" apology and passed some of the blame onto his victim for not properly protecting herself with tools that weren't in place.

That's garbage regardless of his contractual obligations.

You can think he hasn't done enough, or think he's doing it just for PR. Which hell he might be, I don't know that dude.

He very much did not put the blame on her at all, and specifically said he was the one who hosed up, on both counts, not having protection systems in place, and for narrating the scene at all.

He might be using some language that he hopes will soften his fall or whatever but he isn't bus tossing anyone here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I personally don't see this as a persona non grata thing, I get those that never want to work with him again or wish to leave his games. But I don't particularly think less of those who keep playing with him so long as they themselves feel safe with him.

This is just a rightful massive loss in reputation. It wouldn't shock me if R20 and maybe Wizards(lol) cease working with him after his current contractual obligations are up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

For what it's worth It's pretty likely if drops out of those deals the they'd just cut bait with the entire show, and unfortunately likely the rest of the cast.

It's also kinda madness to expect a new GM to come in and just continue running someone else's show and built up story.

He potentially could have hosed up a ton of other people's money and livelyhood.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Isn't the whole point of the systems and games he writes and promotes that players are tightly involved with creating the narrative? It doesn't seem too far-fetched to me.

In the games he writes and promotes maybe, but I'm aware of like 5 games he run/ran

Court of Swords which is 5e
Jace Beleren Must Die which is 5e
Far Verona which was Genesys and Stars without Number
Eat the Rich, which is Zweihander
Roll 20 Presents BG:DiA(they play whatever 5e adventure, dragon heist, mad mage, ToA etc etc)

And while yes tabletop is a collaborative storytelling enviroment bringing a new GM to carry on for someone else is a terrible position to be put in. If they cut bait, which would be completely justified, I'd rather they just start over fresh new story with the same cast and a new GM.

It's like what happened with Dice camera action after the Jared and Holly nonsense. They were players that they pulled out and they are still trying to get that replacement show up and running.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 4, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/roll20app/status/1247229035610083329

So he or whoever(wizards, r20, the players), canceled the games they run for the official D&D channel for at least this week.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Fucker ruined probably my favorite Actual play podcast/stream in Jace Beleren must die.

I hope Katie, TK, Carlos, and Masood stick around for the new show.

Jesus christ Adam. All you had to do was not narrate a goddamn sexual assault without getting it okayed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

yea especially in a field like RPGs where all it takes for a company to completely shift focuses is a new edition, I have no idea why you'd trust a weird proprietary thing that pinkie promises it'll be around forever so you don't need those nasty PDFs on your own HD.

Convenience.

The service that Beyond Provides is useful to me in that it's easier to navigate through quickly than a PDF file. And allows me to more easily organize campaign characters.

I don't trust Fandom and D&D Beyond outside of like barring an unforeseeable complete collapse they probably aren't going to die within the next 2-3 years.

With Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro or whatever I'm not particularly worried about losing access to the PDF's. As they are out there easily able to be obtained if I need to.

Like if it was for some small indie company, for sure. I would never trust or only pay to have access to a web layer of their game/system. But I'm not particularly ever worried about losing access to D&D 5e pdf's, even if the site I bought them on disappeared.

It's like I never worry about having to own Super Mario World. If I want to play that game there will never be a time in the future where I will want to play that game but won't be able to.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gerund posted:

I have no problem with you believing that Super Mario World is part of a canon that will be copied into the future for the rest of your natural life and the generations beyond; but to say that an RPG product will be like that is a larger leap of faith because of a lack of Mascot IP value.

I can still go and find an rom copy of rare single run games that came out in the late 80s.

I am fairly confident in my not needing to keep a copy of the 5e PHB on my hard drive without fear of ever being able to find it again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Even if you don't need precise measuring and poo poo, having maps and being able to draw on a canvas is still pretty useful

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Once my current game of Avernus is done, I think I'm going to move over at least my games from Roll20 to FoundryVTT

And just import DnDBeyond characters and stuff over there.

I've been messing around with it, and it's pretty slick. And Extremely modular without needing to pay for API access, Just a one time fee for the host, and players can join in.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean he was on literally far and away the most successful version of D&D

How much of that is because of him, a minimal amount, but by god he was in charge and thus should reap the benefits of his comical good luck.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

They were very outspoken about diversity and safety before being brought onboard for D&D. But this all happened well before everyone was misled into thinking Mearls was gonepromoted away. Humans and life are endless in their complexity etc, so I don't want to roundly condemn them, but as an outside observer it sure looked like someone said all the right words about inclusivity and then packed up to go work for Superficial Wokeness Inc when they got noticed. And hey, sometimes you can effect real change by slowly replacing the existing shitlords. Sure doesn't look like that happening this time, though!

Huh?

They were contracted and worked on Mythic Odyssey's of Theros, and their contract ended when the book was finished before this news was revealed.

Like a ton of people in the D&D and tabletop community they just hate the poo poo out of Mearls, and think it's trash that he's back.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Toshimo posted:

They list themselves as #WotCStaff on Twitter and say they have a bunch more WotC writing credits forthcoming, so I don't know why you think it was a 1-off.

They have credits forthcoming sure. I'm sure not everything they worked on for the year or so they were there is out yet.

I can't find the specific tweet where they said it but. Here they are mentioning their contract about to be up in back in March.

https://twitter.com/DungeonCommandr/status/1237878309343485953

That Old Tree posted:

^^^^ hm, anyway the main takeaway is WotC is poo poo and if you touch it you got the poop on your hands even if your intentions were very pure.

Oh I thought they were working with WotC in a more extensive manner. That kind of makes things worse to me, because even working for WotC a freelance job is poo poo money to lose credibility over.

Yeah nah man speak for yourself. DC has lost absolutely loving no credibility with me. Not everyone has the ability to turn down a solid contract and consistent pay. A job is a job. Gotta pay rent and bills. They are some bottom run contractor working on some stories. No where near any type of decision making process.

Surviving under Capitalism etc etc.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kestral posted:

Contract writing for roleplaying games has got to be in the top 10 worst ways to "survive under capitalism."

Huh?

Please correct me if I'm parsing your statement wrong, but the being a Game Designer/Narrative designer is silly, and you should do something else to make a living is certainly some argument. Considering there are tons of people doing it now.

Anyway, my philosophy.

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/569072652096286720

theironjef posted:

Which is what makes this so sad for DC. Writing for D&D contract, even if it pays okay, is really about resume padding for future writing. And while I hope it matters, like if they try to get onboard with MCG or whatever, for me it never will. Having written for 5e to me isn't an endorsement, it's just... nothing.

It's a Job, that pays rent for a year or however long the contract is. And frees one from the stresses of the freelance hustle, for if only little while. They don't particularly need some forum posters endorsement. Being published and credited does help get other writing jobs.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 22, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

homullus posted:

I think the point was that the way they treat you and pay you with that job sucks, and should be much better, which is why it's a bad way to survive under capitalism. It's not that DC made a bad choice in taking the job.

Ah, okay. Apologies.

But yeah, Large Picture, and from Wizards/Hasbro's end they should hire more FTE's with benefits. And Fire the poo poo out of Mearls. Contract work loving sucks.

But it's just such a pet peeve of mine when a member of a marginalized group takes a job at a problematic company because bills gotta get paid. And everyone decides to pile on said person and call them a hypocrite. When there are extremely few jobs in this world where you aren't working for a company with trash culture, trash history, and trash policies. This job just happens to crossover with a hobby people are passionate about.

I don't get mad at someone who takes a job at amazon despite that company being trash. I don't blame a woman who works at Riot despite that company having a trash history, and management. I don't get mad at someone who takes a job at Faux Deadspin because they are a sports writer and union writing jobs are so loving hard to come by, even more so in this environment, despite the utter trashfire of a management team.

Edit: This doesn't apply if they decide to actually cape up for said trash at the job, but if they aren't caping up for the shitheads then it's just a job.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 22, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also they did Plot Armor, and Mutant's in the Night. Which are on their Itch store.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Or do whatever this sociopathic poo poo is. That's an option.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

moths posted:

I think gamers tend to be particular suckers for it though. Gaming's "celebrities" are gamers JUST LIKE US vs Hollywood millionaire yacht people.

And they're much more accessible. It's possible to have a Twitter back-and-forth with someone like Rob Schwalb in a way that's impossible with Will Smith or Vin Diesel.

I brought up alignment system light heartedly, but I do think tabletop generally considers its celebrities "friends" (or at least community members) in a way other industries don't. For better and worse.

It's less accessibility, and more things that can resonate emotionally with people.

Like say anything bad about some music figure online like lets say R.Kelly, or hell even on the lighter end Beyonce, Swift, Jay Z or Drake etc etc, or say something bad/critical about the Marvel movies or any actor in them.

It's just more "stan" culture than anything. People have an emotional tie to a piece of art, or "content". So they must defend it at all costs, because liking that thing has become core to their personality or existence.

Trust me this phenomenon happens a tooon, in situations where none of these people will ever interact with the person they are making themselves seem foolish for.

Or hell, Politics, as I watch a bunch of my peoples go out extremely sad trying to defend an extremely loving dumb and offensive statement by a person they have stupidly tied themselves to.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It was fine, the Players were pretty good, Matt was pretty clearly the weakpoint and he clearly prepped like one would for a D&D game. Which is very much the wrong mindset, and led to less "play to find out what happens" and more rails. but even so people seemed to like it and the Author sold a bunch of copies because of it.

The Author of it had very good critiques of their play in some twitter thread. But generally thought they did a decent enough job.

Mostly they nailed the tone and general feel. It felt a bit too scripted but even so I don't think they made that game look terrible. But to each their own.

Edit: https://twitter.com/lackingceremony/status/1230706588593217536?s=20

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 23, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They could switch to Dungeon World :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Edit: I should have refreshed before posting this thing I left sitting.

King of Solomon posted:

I guess here's the actual question we should be asking. We know Critical Role is extremely successful, they have sourcebooks, an Amazon Prime cartoon, and a comic book, all based on an online streaming show. But how successful is that, really? Certainly successful enough to get them a ton of money, but is their popularity at a large enough scale that they could noticeably harm WotC's reputation, or even just D&D specifically? If they could noticeably harm the product line's reputation, that would harm its profit margins for the product. I don't actually know the answer to this question. I think the answer is actually yes, but D&D is such a small line item as it is that it's kinda hard to say.

Probably, for it to be noticeable it would have to be fairly loud, along with switching systems, and completely burning all bridges.

It would essentially be mobilizing their stan army.

edit

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, the defense of "Hasbro sees D&D as a brand grab only and doesn't give a gently caress about anything about it beyond that" is actually a great reason why someone with a platform as large as Critical Role's would be able to do something like make it very uncomfortable for Mike Mearls to continue to be employed by the company, because there's no investment in any specific flavor of white mediocrity to be the head of a department that only needs to not lose too much money while they leverage a new cartoon or movie out of the IP. I don't think anyone is saying Mercer can just make a phone call and declare the hirings and firings of WotC but maybe any sort of attempt to leverage the literal hundreds of thousands of fans Critical Role has (This is based on their twitch follower count of 500 thousand so there's probably a smaller segment that doesn't engage with that platform) to calling this poo poo out would have some effect even if Hasbro actively hated LGBT people instead of just hating us passively like all large corporations.

I will say the Cartoon doesn't have anything to do with Wizards, they got hit with a notice from Wizards/Hasbro when in their initial kickstarter video they said this cartoon is based off of a D&D game, and had to edit it to just say "game".

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 24, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Critical Role seems big enough that WotC would notice if they did something. I mean, what percentage of 5E books are about them?

They are not going to do anything, so :shrug: It is a shame, but they know who writes the checks obviously.

Huh?

They have one book?

As does Acquisitions Incorporated.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nessus posted:

Were people engaging The Voice of McCree and Jotaro Kujo on the topic of Mike Mearls earlier or is this a like, hypothetical "Matt Mercer could probably say 'Mearls Sucks' and might have the juice to get it to happen" kind of thing.

Mercer said some vague platitudes about just trying to be the best you you can be and not trying to be what others want you to be. People are taking that to mean he's talking about Mearls.

Also Re Writing checks. They do get some from Wizards from the Wildemount book they released earlier this year. But the people who write the checks for them are likely twitch subs, people who donate bits, people who buy merch, their multiple advertisers, and The people who donated to to their kickstarter/amazon.

Before everything went to poo poo they had like 30k twitch subs IIRC. Between that and what is probably a decent chunk of change from Amazon I don't think they are hard up for Wizard's money.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Right. Out of how many books total.

25-30 I think depending on what you want to count as a book

I think 26 soon to be 27 full book rear end books.

I still fail to see your point.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 24, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

moths posted:

He may or may not possess any real sway, but weighing in with "Ugh it's so hard to be me right now..." is such a pathetic non-stance on the issue that it's offensive to anyone with any opinions on the matter.

If that's what that tweet was referencing anyway.

:shrug:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Critical Role is, like a lot of the popular RPG shows, largely just a semi-improv podcast sorta deal with D&D framing. People like it for the reasons folks like anything and Matt Mercer is a professional voice actor and a lot of his friends are also VAs and stuff so between that and good editing you have what I imagine is a pretty listenable version of people pretending to be elves around a table. Whether Matt Mercer has the power to decide whether a man lives or dies in his hands, I don't think it's exaggerating by much to say that the success of Critical Role is basically the best advertisement for D&D that WotC could have hoped for. There's been a lot of weird, easily avoidable rakes that CR has stepped on, like running a lovely corporate-branded Wendy's Hamburger D&D module and there was something about them relying on volunteer transcription work which, even taking it as a given that Mercer and his pals aren't secret elfgame podcast gazillionaires, still seems like one of those things you could take steps to do something about in increments or whatever, but generally what happens after one of these is Mercer posts an "aw shucks, I guess I done goofed" thing on social media and their unhealthily parasocialized fanbase rushes to forgive him.

You haven't watched a single episode huh?

Which is cool. But FYI they very much don't edit poo poo It's a live stream on twitch. They do just straight up play 5e. It's aided by yes the fact that the cast are clearly actors very good at Improv, but the dice do dictate the game.

The Wendy's thing they thought would just be a fun goof to kill time one week, and when people told them about how bad of a look it was they seemingly agreed as they never put it on their YouTube pulled the VOD and you can't find it anywhere online outside of someone who ripped it live.

The Transcription thing they stopped after the Kickstarter. After which is literally the first time I've ever heard about the free transcriptions they were getting. That is pretty exploitative.

They aren't secret elf game gazillionaires though. They are maybe elf game hundred thousandaires. They have 8 cast members to pay alongside how ever many support staff members they have. Like I know they just hired Surena as a community manager.

Which is still alot especially in the hellhole that is TTRPGs don't get me wrong.

But they like most humans will step on rakes as they navigate this poo poo. If the worst take you step on is like playing some Wendy's promotional game without fully thinking about what you are doing then that is so loving small scale on the things I care about.

And once again people are jumping to extreme and the worst conclusions regarding a vague post by the dude that could apply to any loving number of things going on in his life.

paradoxGentleman posted:

And, to bring this back to a conversation that was happening earlier but that I didn't manage to join in time, what exactly maks the CR GM bad, and why are people watching him do bad GMing? Most bad GMing that I can think of kind of sucks to watch/listen to.

He's a good DM of 5e and games like it. He struggled to adapt to hosting his first PbtA game in Monsterhearts 2. Which is a different mindset

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I'm given to think that it might now be the whole 'get back to work playing a game you bums' and be COVID-related, but the problem is really transparency. The vaguebooking makes it hard to get any kind of read and it's not like 'no, I don't feel we're ready to meet at the table, I mean Laura and Travis have a very young son for God's sake' would be met by outrage save from the people who are perpetually outraged by CR in general. This just feels like dynamite fishing for people to call him the softest cinnamon bun and give e-hugs. There's not even anything especially wrong with that, but the timing is just sure weird.

It's just my problem with the internet in general to instantly jump to the worst possible conclusion and then write statements of fact attacking someone based around the worst interpretation.

I don't particularly give much of a poo poo, it wouldn't shock me or shake me to my core if tommorrow he did or said something utterly offensive.

But man, Matt vague posts all the drat time. It's what he does. Maybe it is a tactic to get "uwu hugs" because he feels like poo poo at the time. But I can't ever remmeber a time where he was vague posting woe is me when it comes to a situation like this, and others being hurt.

Even if he doesn't burn bridges or name names he is generally pretty willing to talk about his criticisms of goings on and not frame them as an attack on himself.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 25, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

what's the story with the wendy's thing? i know they made some dumb fantasy setting as a joke (or well, an advertisement masquerading as a joke) but nothing beyond that

That was pretty much it

Wendy's made a 5e ish game as an advertising thing like they did with that Rap album years ago.

Critical Role ran it as a one shot I don't even think it was sponsored like their Doom Eternal oneshot.

People brought up some bad things in Wendy's past after to the cast after the stream and afterwards they removed the vods and never posted them to YouTube. And they also take down anyone who posts it to YouTube as there is a rip of the stream out there if you want it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

ah, gotcha. thought for a second people were saying there was something lovely about the game itself

I mean it was based on 5e :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

No, it was a sponsorship and that's why some folks were a little unsettled leading up to it. CR donated their take to a non-profit that helps farmworkers.

Ah whoops my bad.

I missed that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

moths posted:

There's the timing, and then that he addressed Mandy's treatment.

But that's the danger of vage-tweeting: If the subject wasn't on the table before, it is now.

This kind of thing smacks of trying to play both sides. It reads like he's signaling that he's upset and unhappy with the situation, but not enough to take a stand - only enough to seek e-hugs and likes.

Onyx Path and everybody have enough skeletons in their closets not to throw stones, and there's no expectation that they'd comment. The foundation of this guy's house is 5e, he's arguably as brand affiliated as Mearls.

The Mandy Tweets were from last year. when all this poo poo blew up.

Not this past Friday.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

theironjef posted:

As long as we're calling you out for apparently accidental acts of being disingenuous, the Wendy's poo poo isn't just from their past. Their owner is a bigger donor to the Trump campaign than Chik-Fil-A and they have consistently refused to participate in the FFP (a coalition of tomato growers that fight for better wages and safer working conditions for tomato growers) which would't seem so bad if every other big player in fast food hadn't agreed immediately for the good PR of the thing. They are being boycotted well into today.

Being a Donor to the Trump campaign isn't really all that particularly shocking, I just kinda assume anyone that rich probably is and color my opinions as such. The Tomato stuff I legit had no idea about.

But I wasn't intending that post to be dismissive/disengenuous or to imply that they are now a clean company or anything. I used careless phrasing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

loving lol Wizards

https://twitter.com/Aclippinger/status/1267675527319519232

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.adam-koebel.com/blog/2020/5/18/moving-on

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

Did he ever actually acknowledge his mistake, of having planned that sexual assault scene in a gross distortion of what a player had asked for? Or did he always fall back in the vague defenses of "mistakes were made" or "it was a spur-of-the-moment thing"? Because if it was the latter (likely) then he's still never taken the first step of apologizing. That's why people are ostracizing him, because he couldn't even get that far!

And now as noted above he grants one wishy-washy paragraph to what he did and a whole page or more to bemoaning his fate. Good riddance.

He did. But it was always couched in between a bunch of stuff about how he should have had more safety tools and what not. Which seemed like him trying to soften his fall and the blame of his gently caress up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

What is so hard about just apologising and doing something to help? It's been 2 months, right, how can you not at least think something up to help out?

He hosed up, and broke the trust of his players, by doing something incredibly creepy and rapey.

Tbf there's not like much he can do. Other than just say, "I hosed up". And he seemingly can't even do that without trying to soften his landing with his language at every single step.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Who gets to decide the punishment in twitter justice though. Like remember when that lady made a joke about getting aids in Africa. She was fired, I think before the plane even landed, and most people would be okay with that, but what about everything else. Were the death threats justified, or the rape threats, or being doxxed and having people show up at the airport as she landed. honestly in the end i don't think a lot of people even cared about what she did, it was just really fun to dogpile on someone who did 100 percent gently caress up and now cant defend themselves. and when I say defend themselves I'm not referring to her actions, I mean from the deluge of terrifying rape threats by people who showed up to the airport to confront her .

That's my thing. Like people online have no chill when it comes to unnecessary escalation.

Like Adam is free to gently caress off and disappear into the exile of obscurity. Mention how lovely you think his apologies are, say you don't think he should be allowed to operate in this space anymore. And raise hell if someone hires him or has him doing something publicly.

But some people always have to do the absolute most. What he did was garbage and lovely and pretty much disqualifying to participate in this space or whatever. But nowhere near the level of Death Threats and assertions that he should commit suicide.

This isn't meant as like a defense of his statement because he included poo poo that is very much free game to critique and be angry at for what he did, and is still in general trying to minimize the harm he caused. But one of my pet peeves with the internet in general is some people have absolutely no gauge on escalation.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lumbermouth posted:

And like, giant actual play streams. More than one of them was officially sponsored by Roll20.

I wouldn't say Giant, but yeah. I loving loved Jace Beleren Must Die.

Speaking of the cast had their session zero of the new Theros campaign with TK GMing last night.

Not having that dude didn't really change much turns out. Still a very fun cast and stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

moths posted:

Oh weird. Someone picked a real tone-deaf opportunity to push it then.

It would not shock me if a bunch of racists with too much money to burn bought a copy to make the algorithm push it or something.