Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

sexpig by night posted:

dieselpunk can be cool, it's steampunk's cool cousin

Diesel is Shaq & Kevin Nash.

Kriegszeppelin Valkyrie is a Fate Skypirates game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Far too much of my personal RAM is readying a constant loop of edition wars, D&D vs PbtA. A new versionof pathfinder for people to obsess over is like that demon being taken for me and put into a swarm of pigs.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Anime as an industry

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think Hollywood is a really weird analogy here, especially as someone who made an RPG about Hollywood.
In entertainment, if someone wants to use your idea, they’ll buy an option to maybe make it. That usually means they have the right to do whatever the gently caress they want with it, keep it, change it, with you making more money if/when it goes into production^ and if/ when the box office hits.

If they bring on more writers on the project, everyone who does a round of revisions gets paid, and at the end there’s an arbitration process to see who was the main author(s)*.

There’s no favorite trading for labor built into the system.

Also, the barrier to entry for film and TV is so high because, unlike RPG’s, you’re gambling with house money. Production cost millions, distribution can cost similar (especially if you advertise/get overseas rights; think of how many times you’ve seen niche TV shows with fans demanding “When can we see this in Australia?”).

None of this is really analogous to KS.

^Especially if they hire you to be on set and do daily rewrites.
*The only real exception here is sometimes, between when your representation or a producer sees a script and when it goes to a buyer, they will demand you revise and revise, off the record. This isn’t an official part of the process and if you guilty of trying to tamp down on on this.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Same in VGs! Dozen of daily indie releases and huge huge FTPs.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Traditional games as an industry: television as an industry

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Surprising nobody, rpgnow is going to finally disappear and everything will now just be DTRPG.

They have been the same thing for 12 years so I don't know what took them so long.

Tech debt, Accumulating the more time went on? Why is any website bad

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Raggi response is just as horrid as expected.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

And when I ran a campaign of it I just banned duelists...Which is craziness in a swashbuckling game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Puto has a ton of different connotations that change depending on what country you’re in. It’s never nice though.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=puto&=true

Cartel has had the same argument swirling around it since it was proposed. Should you make a game about the horrors of 00s drug life? Can the game be exciting, moral neutral, avoid gaze, etc? Should the people in the game talk like real life, which is often really offensive?

I’m not defending other stuff Mark done. It hurt a lot of people. I wasn’t hurt by his two minutes hate post. A lot of people were.

Solely on the topic of cartel, every AMA and interview he does he talks about these issues.

Brandon's thread, on the variety of Latinx games, is worth clicking: https://twitter.com/drcaptainkobold/status/1096797212326219777?s=12

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 22, 2019

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

At a certain value there is not a lot to charge five figures for. With an animation project you can offer a lot more than a gamebook, eh?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The best way to protect perverts is with pidgin Hawaiian. Kemosabe shalom don’t take to cops Ohana!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I feel like that would work until you leave the room then everyone would poo poo talk to you forever and revive their characters. And if you call unfair they would say you never showed up.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I’m glad I backed at the pdf tier.

The adventure ideas and history are extremely interesting.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Spirit of 77 has the best politics, which is “you’re in the 70s, so your character cannot be a cop. You can be any other job, but the closest you can come to a cop is a former cop who quit because of all the corruption.” It also explicitly calls out hateful behavior being justified by “it’s accurate to the time!” As a crock of poo poo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

They canceled the line because I told them they would have to name it the two ring. And that conflicted with TTR, which we all know is ticket to ride.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Meinberg posted:

It follows the romantic and sexual relationships of teenaged characters, all of whom are played by people in their twenties. In and of itself, it’s not hugely troubling, but it’s part of the longer trend in US media of portraying teenagers as essentially adults and therefor perfectly fine to sexualize.

It’s a psychodrama where a guy got attacked by a bear and then later fought a giant man, dressed as a bear, presumably to death.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Gaming as an industry: pet food.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

theironjef posted:

This sort of gives away the game. The thread's spent two pages or so now talking about improper apology construction, but why? There is no such thing as an acceptable apology (at least in this case). Just declare the guy persona non grata. Like, I'm not vested in this, I never heard of Koebel til about three days ago, but why the roundtable panel analysis of apology formatting if it's fully irrelevant? Is it just the fascination of a slow-motion train wreck? I get that, I guess.
It’s weird how many times people wanted him to use words he already used.

There is no model for correct public apology because the court of public opinion doesn’t really have statutes or rehabilitation. Michael Vick committed his crimes 10 years ago and people still argue about whether he can honorarily captain in the pro bowl.

There’s always going to be Internet clout for being the last person to forgive or the first person to call out. It’s how social networks that are worth sharing work, but no one is monetized improvement or making victims whole (except sometimes sending the money.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Adam is bad but contracts don’t usually say “in case of gently caress up I get to name my replacement.” And who’s gonna want to take the reins, knowing they’ll only be perceived as hired because someone else was a creep?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Four swings at the baseball, classic comedy

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Lamuella posted:

They should do a West Marches style D&D TV show with a different cast each time.

They cast whoever shows up to set earliest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Plot summary of a video game unconnected to a TTRPG property was not something on my bingo card for the TG industry thread, but I guess video games do have a long tradition…

Post your bingo card.