Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

moths posted:

Is it weird that there's a Tumblr consisting of nothing but unreasonable attacks on tos over this issue? That seems weird to me.

When I say "unreasonable," I mean stuff like demanding a response after three days and implying that this is part of a pattern of behavior.

Unfortunately, no, it's not weird at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Everyone watch that pitch video. That's some serious overproduced gobbledygook.

~~meta~~*~~skills,~~

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm sympathetic to worrying that a game line is "dead", because it absolutely does become harder to push for games and find players for a game that isn't actively supported.

On the other hand, "active support" is reserved only for the relative megabucks earners of this hobby which are uniformly not great, so whatever. Plus most of these people will probably be jumping on the new train in a year or two no matter what they say now.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sounds a bit like they're taking a page or two from WFRP2.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Did 3.0 even "mandate" you use a grid? Didn't it just give up the fiction that the rules weren't absolutely built around gridded/mapped combat?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Like, if they don't wait too long (or if it isn't already too late) to ride Game of Thrones' coattails, even before the recent minor ascendancy of fantasy serials, any D&D property could pretty easily be translated into a Legend of the Seeker/Xena/Shannara series. Which I imagine makes a fair enough amount of money even if they're not spending millions per episode like GoT, since TV executives keep greenlighting them for seasons-on-seasons, even if sometimes it's just the two.

It just seems that they want to skip straight from "pretty small, insular hobbyist property with moderately outsized name recognition" to "making a half-billion dollars at the box office", which just LOL.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

CommaToes posted:

So I made a card game a year and a half ago just for my family and friends. They've been encouraging me to publish it and sell it on a larger scale, but the rules are almost lifted wholesale off of another game and I'd have to redo all the art with my own art or use royalty free images.

I know there are games that are almost identical in the rules and haven't run into legal issues (Apples to Apples and CAH), but I'm wondering if this is a potentially dangerous road to go down if I do try to self publish. Is this a good idea or should I keep this just among my family and friends?

It ultimately depends on the original game's owners, but for the most part I don't think even the board game/card game sides of the TTG industry have the money and energy to crush you under a sack of cash (regardless of the judicial merit of their challenge), unless you get really blatant with a rip-off of something from a big boy like Asmodee or Hasbro.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While he wasn't one of the great devils of this forum's mythology, I think it bears mentioning that James Shipman of Outlaw Press infamy apparently passed away last month. It seems to have only just recently come to the attention of RPGnet and the T&T community. There are already plenty of posts along the lines of "I'm sure he was a great personal friend [until he stole your poo poo]" and "he was very talented and creative [when he bothered to write his own stuff instead of stealing it]". I guess those of his friends he didn't betray over and over again and his relatives saw some personal value in him, and I'm sorry they have to feel the sting of that loss, but his ceaseless and deliberate theft is what he tried his damnedest to put out into the world and I'm glad that's finally over.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

What the gently caress is even an "attack against the company?" Like, outside of this context or the lobby scene from the Matrix, what does attacking a company even loving look like? Saying mean things online?

The OneShot thing was found to be an attack against the organization, and it's entirely believable for trolls to do this. Just, not as often and credibly as a lot of people seem to think.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I certainly wasn't defending Paizo. I was just responding to "what even is 'attack on a company'?"

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Just put a box of waivers next to the box of wet-wipes outside the Executive """Wash""" Room.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The show suffered a lot from not knowing it was going to get a second season. It changed how S1 ended, then S2 was a mess because they didn't have time to really prepare, and then S3 ended up having to soft reboot a lot of things.

Plus wasn't the move from 24 episodes to 12(ish?) pretty late in production? And then even when they knew they were getting any given season, it was jerked around on the schedule and there was all that weird fuckery with the online episodes where the network seemed to have two warring factions within it.

The first season is barely watchable, and none of the other seasons are all that great, but I feel like Korra did about as well as it could have given the circumstances. ("As well as it could have" still means it was pretty mediocre even at its best, but oh well.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TheChirurgeon posted:

The antagonist problems stem from the tensions of being a kids show on a kids network, though--having to comply with censors and network desires made more complex antagonists and exploration of their ideals pretty difficult, though they do address this a bit in season 3 or whenever Toph tells Korra that her villains up to that point were essentially correct in some sense.

Amon's surface goals were very solid--there's a clear inequality between benders and non-benders that's pervasive throughout their society, and the Avatar was the face of the oppressive status quo. That conflict alone could have sustained multiple seasons of a show, but those themes and the idea that the avatar was essentially a villain complicit in pushing the goals/agenda of a ruling class of privileged elites is maybe not appropriate for Saturday morning Nickelodeon, so Amon gets to be a crazy bloodbender out for revenge and the civil unrest essentially disappears when he's defeated.

e: The show is still much better than mediocre, and it's beautifully animated and successful in a lot of ways that TLA wasn't, but it doesn't stick the landing nearly as well in any of its seasons and while I think it was smart for them to age up the avatar and explore more complex issues, they just didn't really have the freedom to do that, and the uncertainty around new seasons didn't help, either.

The season with Henry Rollins involves a straight-up torture scene. That was also the season where they suffocated a lady to death on-screen. Amon and his brother commit murder-suicide at the end of season one. I don't think "kids show for kids" was as much of a looming network hindrance as all that.

There was clearly a lot of ambition, but for whatever reason, most of it was squandered. And whether thanks to a short leash from executives or their own personal stumbles, the creators included a lot of really dumb stuff that likely wouldn't have benefited much from less executive meddling or more time or whatever.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Didn't someone make an Avatar PBtA game, and then start filing the serial numbers off to try and sell it? Whatever happened with that?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Desiden posted:

I've pondered on occasion whether something like Spellbound Kingdom's combat style matrix/flowchart thingie could be a good adaptation for a martial arts game. The idea of players watching the flow of their opponents moves to guess where they'll go next, or learning how different styles work so they can overcome them mechanically, seems like it'd be a good fit. Seems like it wouldn't take much more to do it for an avatar like game, it already has some magic-based fighting styles IIRC.

Burn Legend, as previously mentioned, did this to a degree with move types. In my experience it went too far trying to replicate video game fighting repertoires, making it a little bloated, while at the same time there wasn't actually enough complexity to the system to differentiate moves otherwise. Plus, as noted upthread, punchmans were too tough by default. It could really be neat and fun with some more work.

There were a lot of interesting ideas thrown around in Ex3 development for linked powers and chaining moves, mostly in ways that didn't seem too bloaty. It seems like virtually none of that made it to release, which is a shame.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think that looks like what I was talking about?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I have never had more than the most passing interest in Robotech, but I still relish seeing shitheels like Harmony Gold getting shoved into a sandtrap and buried under old beer cans.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Why did Pundit turn so hard against Mearls and Crawford? I don't remember either of them having the guts to publicly regret throwing Pundit some pity relevancy. Did they just not genuflect enough for his tastes?

Also, I guess Venger Satanis, who I used to think was just a low-key edgelord but mostly harmless, is in on some ~FREE SPEECH~ project with Pundit and Desborough, so good for him getting all those fleas. The most recent of which Pundit sells as explaining how people were probably taught to play D&D wrong deliberately to undermine the hobby, because his story arc has a strong throughline from the beginning I guess.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

gradenko_2000 posted:

There is no reasoning with these people. Pundit's politics (as are most reactionaries) is based on resentment, and there was never going to be a situation where WOTC hires him and he "backs down" and throws his support behind the product - the fact that they did allow him to attach his name to D&D only gives him more reason to push all the harder, because why stop at an inch if they already gave you the inch?

Yeah, sure, but this looks more like a vendetta than just being aggrieved that the trumpets didn't sound as he ascended on a shaft of light after D&D5 came out and the minority were disgusted while the majority didn't give one poo poo.

I guess perhaps it's because Mearls had BIG TALKS with, uh, I think maybe Kreider and Hurly? Even if I think that was a futile and unnecessarily legitimizing endeavor on their parts, it's probably inexcusable to Pundit to give those ladies the time of day.

EDIT: :laffo: Also Dan Davenport is "finally done with RPGnet" after they made it policy they wouldn't mod "gently caress ICE/CBP" as a general attack. I literally have no idea where else he posts about his IRC interviews for upcoming products, but I'm sure the industry will feel the sting of his principled stand.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 20, 2018

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Wait this was something they needed to specify? Is there someone posting on RPGnet who works for ICE and they've been complaining about being unfairly attacked?

I don't know, I almost never even glance through Tangency, but I get a lot of drama aftermath reading Trouble Tickets and Infractions, and there was a big policy update thread so I guess the subject came up.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Loomer posted:

Artist/writer of diversity seems like a really clumsy phrase that's going to result in all kinds of idiots coming out of the woodwork, though.

While I don't have a better phrase myself, it does sound clunky. On the other hand, you could literally call it anything and the shitlords will piss their pants in rage over saying "Maybe we could hear from someone who's not a white man, today" so whatever.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Liquid Communism posted:

In more fun TRPG news, here's an interesting set of articles on the Swedish edgelord cabal that is Nu White Wolf and how they appear to be deliberately courting the alt-right as their intended audience for the oWOD relaunch.

http://www.dogwithdice.com/whitewolfaredead/

It's wrong/vague enough on Zak that it's probably going to just be useful feeding his persecution complex. He's an enormous shitbag, but he was canny enough to be vocally anti-GG (which is presumably why his brief friendliness toward Desborough fell apart) and the article seems to imply the opposite.

It also left out the part where MRH blatantly made up domestic abuse allegations against Olivia Hill to win an argument that was mostly him telling non-Nazis that we're being too mean to Nazis.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lemon-Lime posted:

Zak's entire online persona is built on pretending to be progressive which is why he has publicly decried GG in the past, but the Venn diagram of Zak and GG's tactics and ideology have always been just one big ol' circle.

It'll feed into his persecution complex because he'll loudly crow that literally any form of disagreeing with him constitutes harassment, but describing him as a Gamergater is still correct.

Absolutely, but with the attention this is getting, that easily misinterpreted/falsifiable part of the article will be a shield for him.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

EverettLO posted:

Did anyone else see that MYFAROG is now inexplicably an option for "Fan Favorite Publisher of the Year" in the Ennies? Surely this is just a strange coincidence and not indicative deep political shifts being brought to the surface among vocal segments of the tabletop market.

Welp, looks like the "vote for your fan favorites" page is just plain down, now.

:thunk:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm curious what's going on, because trying to go to Fan Favorites Voting from the actual Ennies page gives me a "sorry this page doesn't exist" message. Can anyone else replicate that, or am I uniquely afflicted with bad links?

I think (hope) it was sort of shunted off, and you're not expected to be able to reach that page but they are bad at what they're doing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sion posted:

Oh my god I just worked out who Avery is meant to be holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiit gently caress this guy.

It got even """better""" when Zak's defense of the character was that it wasn't based on Avery, it was based on his good friend Baily Jay. Which, I mean, maybe she's cool with it (I don't think she ever weighed in), but holy poo poo is that ever a "my X friends don't mind."

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

plenty of other damning stuff but this is not convincing at all

sinister global conspiracies are a common trop of anti-semitic literature but they're not exclusive to that genre, and even if you do believe it is an inherently anti-semitic theme, it's silly to act as if it is a break from previous WOD stuff, which also featured lots of sinister global conspiracies as antagonists

I also find the (((globalist))) charge a little weak, from what we've been shown which isn't actually all that much. However, they have framed the Sabbat and elders as loving off into the ~Mysterious East~ ginning up a Clash of Civilizations which, uh, sure sounded dog whistly as hell.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dawgstar posted:

That seems to be the crux of, like, all of his arguments. 'my friends are totally cool with leather thongs and chainmail bikinis and if all women in games have them that's fine and why aren't you Tipper Gore?'

Oh yeah. Even when I first really became aware of him when he blew up the RPGnet thread that was the final straw to get him perma'd there, most of his posts were "I know people who don't care or even like this thing you don't like, therefore you have to provide extensive long-term, double-blind national studies showing that I am wrong." Except of course back then his posting style was even more of a mess than it is now, with crazy line breaks and punctuation, and his poo poo could fairly be summarized as screaming "BUT DID IT MOVE THE NEEDLE?!?!" over and over again.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

PST posted:

Also zweihander winning is peak ennies. A terrible retroclone given away to thousands of people all so he could have more people to spam with his publisher promotions and claim it sold 50k copies.

I haven't skimmed it in a while, but I got the impression Zweihander was more mediocre than terrible, which is frankly worse in my opinion.

To whatever degree this garbage show actually does any good for a game, I'm glad Harlem Unbound walked off with a bunch of gold, anyway.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

More than the game being mediocre, the guy behind it is a persistent and shameless shill on par with whatsisname the "Kaidan, a Japanese Ghost Story" guy, so I'm sure he's never gonna shut up about it now.

Oh, for sure. I remember him more for how often he got in trouble on RPGnet and the twenty billion times his game was a "featured sale" on DTRPG. (Which I shamefully went for when it was, like, $5.)

One of my favorites is when he dumped some of his horseshit marketing in a barely-related thread with a MAGA hat that was photoshopped to say "Make Warhammer Great Again."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

PST posted:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Zweihander

Creating and writing your own tvtropes page must be a new low.

:lol: I forgot they just straight rip off the whole rat catcher, "small but vicious dog" and Skaven thing whole hog.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ZeroCount posted:

Could someone give me the lowdown of all this Holden/Morke nonsense that's apparently been going on? I haven't payed attention to Exalted since the latter days of second edition, back when they were just the Ink Monkeys rather than official devs.

A part of the preview/teaser stuff for the Kickstarter were some rapey Abyssal Charms. When that blew up, Holden said some incredibly dumb poo poo right here on Something Awful ("it's not 'hold her down and stick it in' rape"), then there was an SA frontpage article about the various awful poo poo from Exalted's past, particularly the first half of Infernals. Rich/Holden/Mørke walked it back shortly thereafter in a KS update, but then Mørke pulled a "all according to plan; I was testing the fans" puppetmaster horseshit in the KS comments, and he also said an apology would be forthcoming after the Kickstarter to prove his morals weren't hostage to money. Obviously, the apology never materialized. Then the project was in development hell for years. Partly because they straight up lied about an impossible release date in order to get the project greenlit at all, but also because John Mørke is a living embodiment of feature creep, and also both he and Holden were incredibly lovely about actually communicating with their subordinate writers.

Somewhere in all this, Mørke put out a diversity-seeking freelancer call, but it had this bizarre questionnaire hinting at how you had to like what he likes and do some creative writing essays if you wanted to be an Exalted Lady for him.

At two points during the long wait for people to get what they paid for, someone in playtesting leaked playtest drafts. Up until this point everything was under tight wraps. These leaks were both actually pretty good for Ex3 because they were usable rules that were, at least, better than previous editions. People stopped grousing so much because it looked like good things were happening. Naturally, things were clamped down and wider playtesting was curtailed because you could totally put that genie back in the bottle. Despite the generally positive reaction, there was another rapey sex Charm in one or both of the leaks. On some other forum, spacebattles or whatever I think, Holden pulled the deft rhetorical trick of turning the accusations back on his critics, "Boy, you guys sure are preoccupied with rape, what's wrong with you guys." There was also a comic stretch goal where in the lead-up to its mediocre release they were very proud to show off yet another big-boobed sex witch, and when criticized Holden once again pulled the brilliant "Boy, you guys sure are judging this character by her looks, how sexist of you" invincible counter-argument.

Finally, the core book was finished. They were working on the first supplement, which they apparently wrote most of and then threw in the garbage to re-write because of John's ~vision~ (this also supposedly happened with the Charms in the core book, which was one of the reasons for the delay). They were dumped and the much more organized, competent and also just plain nicer Robert Vance and Eric Minton replaced them. At the time it seemed to be just because they were bad at their jobs. Then later there was a bunch of vague poo poo about claiming OPP/WW didn't want to pay them for work they should've been paid for, but maybe it was over-writing that they were never contracted for in the first place or something like that (in any case, a loving rich line from the guys who got hundreds of thousands of unpaid words and other unpaid hours of work out of their subordinate writers).

Then, even later, it turns out John Mørke is a sex pest and that was part of why he was dumped, and while Holden (much later, when publicly taken to task) admits John don' wrong, they've just been through so much together and he's a good friend and gawsh…trails off hoping you forget there's no actual conclusion to this sentiment other than "Let me have my sex-pest friend in peace because I don't want to be personally inconvenienced by this."

Disclaimer: I worked for them, very enthusiastically, up until I didn't, and about a year after I quit I made a big rear end of myself being a That Guy at them for an embarrassingly long time. The whole Abyssal rape-Charm thing was a precursor to why I left, but I absolutely can't claim some moral superiority because it took someone else suffering the real hurt confronting me face-to-face about it.

EDIT:

Zereth posted:

EDIT: Oh and remember when Holden made a dismissive joke about somebody wanting Bureaucracy to have Cool Things To Do and a system to do them with? You know, the skill they'd specifically chosen to include in their game?

There are probably fifteen unused drafts of Bureaucracy systems floating around on various people's Google Drives, but it just wasn't bespoke enough or some poo poo, so instead they scrapped the idea entirely and proceeded to mock their fans over the subject. And don't forget Holden continually doing similar poo poo about various other sticking points in Ex3 design, but apparently only stepping over the line once to the point he got a slap on the wrist from RPGnet for telling someone "We don't write the bad rules people think that they want."

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 6, 2018

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Zereth posted:

Didn't they like, just straight up lie about how complete the game was in the kickstarter? Claiming it was pretty close to finished? And then I remember news coming out shortly after it was funded that they were starting work on something that, if their earlier claims were true, would've been done at the time the kickstarter launched?

I don't remember any of the specifics of what the Kickstarter/marketing claimed/suggested about completeness at the time (though it was definitely suggestive that we were much farther along than we really were), but the fulfillment date on the Kickstarter was like, later the same year, and everyone writing on it absolutely knew that was bullshit. I asked about it in a Skype call and was outright told it was a lie because CCP would not accept the kind of time line the project actually required. A time line that would've still been far shorter than the time it ended up taking anyway.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Infernals had a lot of cool ideas and hooks in them, but even the best parts were done with oddly fundamental player-unfriendly bits that all sort of go back to their origin as part of Michael Goodwin's home game. The degree of Yozi focus didn't need to be poo poo on quite so much by us when Ex3 was announced, but it was still probably a bad idea, and the way Devil-Tigers worked was barely usable.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Roadie posted:

To me, one of the key reasons Infernal Charms appealed so much is that they entirely sidestepped Ability prereqs, so that you could put together a character thematically by Charms without worrying about having all the relevant Abilities at 5 first.

3e learned exactly the wrong thing from that, and just made the overwhelming majority of Solar Charms require a 5 in that Ability instead.

When I found out we would be doing a third edition "from the ground up" I immediately started working on relatively radical proposals like players defining their own skills and Charms reinforcing and being restricted by that, or paring the Ability list down drastically and doing away with Attributes, or more closely tying skills to Attributes like Trinity did.

Then our very first big development email thread was everyone arguing John out of reverting War to Brawl again.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

I've heard a few people saying that the Geist dev left after the core because he couldn't stomach working under Paradox Wolf any longer? Is there any evidence that that story is actually true?

He said something like that in the WoD thread, though it was a good bit ago. GimpinBlack, if you want to comb through his posts.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

If I were a cynical man I might suggest that Zweihander was the tipping point specifically because it's not a d20 product of some sort.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but if this is all about some vote-fixing scheme, I would imagine Zweihander would be the tipping point just because, if the guy's shilling is any indication, he'd be really blatant about it in some way they couldn't ignore.

I like that they apparently give little enough of a poo poo about their comments section that Zak immediately plunged it into his grudge-filled shitter and it's just been that way ever since the article went up. A+ job from an outfit whose business is internet content and community building.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

White Wolf Entertainment and DriveThruRPG Announce Exalted coming to the Storytellers Vault in September 2018!

From everything I've seen, all the ~community content~ efforts outside of DM's Guild have been pretty anemic. I wonder if Exalted's weird fanbase can break that trend? I'm not exactly plugged in like I used to be, but I feel like it's not at all like it used to be.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Joe Slowboat posted:

My impression of 2e posted homebrew is that there was, wow, there was a lot of it. I've always produced a few homebrew things for every game of Exalted I've run (especially artifacts and custom charms, and always locations) but nothing I would write up thoroughly enough to post. I think 2e got a lot because of the sheer volume of read-but-don't-play posters who lacked games to actually use homebrew in, so their homebrew was very elaborate and ready to plug in. Ex3 seems to have a healthier proportion of people actually playing the game.

I'm always very skeptical of this sort of statement. It's very RPGPundit-y: "They don't even play the games they're trying corrupt with their Cultural Marxism, obviously, because they talk about all this horseshit I don't like and am unfamiliar with and therefore cannot have any practical experience with TRUE RPGS." I mean, I remember there being at least a few frequent posters who said they read everything but didn't play for one reason or another, but I don't remember them being a big proportion of the homebrewers. Even outside of Exalted, I recall encountering tons of overly-elaborate homebrew that nevertheless was used in an actual game.* Just look at most D&D modules that pack in reams of ecology and culture and whatever that 99% of players aren't going to notice as they put a sword through whatever the book said. Gamers will try to emulate that, even if it's a giant waste of time, and one of the many things that could definitely be said about Exalted 2E is that its books were full of mostly-useless information that people soldiered on to try to use anyway.

* Just a funny anecdote, not to prove a point or anything: A friend-of-a-friend waaay back in the early 2000's spent a lot of his time at his job not doing his job, instead churning out this massive D&D3-based complete game setting. It was an enormous waste of tax-payer money and time (he was a programmer for the state), it was incredibly unoriginal and full of the fiddly bullshit heartbreakers often cover themselves in, but without even the courage of trying to not just be a D&D supplement. He had a weekly game within that hodepodge going until at least 2015. He had every intention of turning it into a published thing, at least back in 2003-ish when we hung out a lot and I was briefly in his game. I went through a lot of characters trying, unwittingly and in vain, to overcome LFQW until I decided to try being a sorcerer. I forged ahead even though I was told this was a bad idea, and it turns out the house rules for sorcerer magic were this baroque xp-spend-and-refund system, and also pixel-bitching tracking of spell ingredients down to every last pinch of bat guano. It turns out the guy from his work who was already playing a sorcerer was, uh, an annoying nerd (but not in the same way as the rest of us), so this auteur had been steadily introducing more and more horseshit rules specifically aimed at getting this fellow to quit, without success. After I found that part out I left the game, because even for 2003 shitlord-me that was too much. We did have a pretty cool Star Wars D6 game later.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Gantolandon posted:

Are lost packages common with DriveThruRPG? I'm asking because apparently the product I ordered got lost not once, but twice.

Six months ago I ordered Chronicles of Darkness main book. This was after I successfully ordered several other physical products, so didn't expect any problems.Three months later I still hadn't gotten the book. I contacted their customer service, told them the book hasn't been delivered. They apologized, told me they're going to send the book again, apparently they did (according to the order status).

Guess what, neither the second nor the first package has arrived. I just opened another ticket, but at this point I'm worried I'm going to do this again in December.

I haven't heard of such problems being common, and I've personally never experienced such a problem after many PoD orders. Sorry your post office is the Bermuda Triangle of DTRPG books. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Roadie posted:

Are you one of the "the fighter can be as good as the wizard if you ROLEPLAY not ROLLPLAY" people? Because this does a lot to imply that.

I figured it was more a reference to how Exalted 2 in its heyday, and WoD/CoD always and forever, could instantly devolve into blatantly unreasonable fights over the primacy or inferiority of a given splat, e.g., "Dragon-Blooded are basically just god-bloods, so should they even really count for effects that say they target or don't target 'Exalted'" or Mage (Awakening or Ascension) being the One True game line.