Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Lovecraft had his brain broken by racism and that’s part of what makes his work compelling. He tried to make universes where the racist garbage he’d been told makes sense and he created cosmic horror. Just think about his “most merciful thing in the world” quote in terms of a man without the tools reconcile what he’s been told with what he can plainly see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Nessus posted:

There is an old aphorism about how when you wrestle a pig, you both get dirty, but the pig likes it. While this is slanderous to the pig the principle seems the same for a lot of these internet assholes. Indeed I feel sometimes like we give them extra life when we do more than go "Disgusting, you're banned"

Exactly. They are behaving like this because it gives them power. Being a huge piece of poo poo drives away competitors and lets them be top dog. It is assholes attempting the stupidest laziest power play and they need to be shut down hard.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The internet is filled to the brim with these types of losers deliberately trying to provoke a reaction.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Alignment sucks. Good riddance.

If alignment is supported to be a faction, then just say the faction.
If alignment is supposed to be a personality, then just describe the personality.
If alignment is supposed to be a motivation, then just tell me their motivation.

Somehow alignment is suppose to be all of that and more. Every time it fails at one purpose the discussion moves to next until it loops back to the beginning.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
SIGMATA makes a lot more sense as being about Gladio cells empowered by US intelligence agencies to stamp out leftists.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
They are real old grogs if they are still saying “virtue signaling” instead of “woke”. That’s the old timey way of snarling at people they think are a threat to their treats.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Wasn’t the person in question a copy-editor? Should they put the typos back?

Ywes

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The loading screen text caused players to get too into character and Jokerfied them. Many such cases.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The common point of Metal Gear Solid and Spec Op The Line is that it is not possible to be “good at war”. It is a phantom that leads you into an abyss.

Spec Op is almost a rebuttal to Obama’s “Don’t do stupid things” ideology where bloody, pointless wars can be won because you’re smarter than the dummy that came before. No plans. You’re just better so things will definitely work out okay. You just won’t do the bad things. So easy.

MGS takes a soldier that would be considered “good at war” and shows what that accomplishes. A soldier that can start with nothing and non-lethally take down an entire army. A soldier everyone is desperate to have a copy of. Lots of copies. Armies of copies. It is never enough. Legendary perfection is not good enough.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 12, 2023

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Hmm, so how does it taste?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a loooot of unexamined racism towards First Nations peoples, even among self-considered progressives, that I think gets particularly bad with those who are used to plundering their cultures as a free idea bucket.

They are and aren’t progressive the same way they are and aren’t many things. All friction as been removed between the two positions so they can switch at will. So on one hand, racism is bad because it is just an excuse for oppression. On the other, they love excuses because that’s how you make yourself frictionless. So they end up with the shifting mass of ideas that racism is bad but it’s real but minorities have special powers so it’s good but it is also bad. It is like one of those optical illusions where things are stationary where you focus your eyes but everything is shifting in the periphery.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Wearing a “I loving love science” T-shirt while they repeat whatever convenient lies will makes things go smoother.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I’m going to start selling AI light switches that know to turn on the light when flipped.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Lucas hates tension. That’s his critical flaw as a filmmaker that he needs collaborators to address. The Death Star run needs immediate stakes and Luke shouldn’t have a second try. Empire doesn’t need to be recut before the premier to add more tension deflating jokes. There doesn’t need to be wacky droid schtick in the middle of every action scene.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Science fiction just seems increasingly pointless as a genre because there is no future. Sci fi technology is just a magic wand to allow the unsustainable status quo to continue forever. Endless frontiers to consume. Endless wars to fight. Numbers going up forever.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ravus Ursus posted:

Geordi's refusal of a transplant or surgery to fix his eyes is the same as someone getting laser corrective surgery today. (Assuming today's version could totally restore your vision). Except his glasses have all sorts of neat bonus things. I wouldn't get corrective eye surgery if my glasses gave my zoom, infrared, and dark sight.

I don't like the thing where they give special powers to the disabled person to show it is wrong to discriminate against them. The obvious implication is that is okay to discriminate them if they don't have special powers. Deviation from the norm will be punished unless it is exploitable.

Also they could just bring a gadget to do the things his visor does if their uniforms had pockets to carry it.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Gatto Grigio posted:

4e’s got the issue where high-level play works almost exactly like low-level play.
4e is good because it admits it is D&D and doesn't pretend it turns into a different, poorly supported game at high levels. If you want a domain management game then you should just start with one.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm beginning to think D&D fans don't actually like D&D.

People want a brutally uncaring system that will reward the strong and punish the weak, but will work out fine for them personally because they are the protagonist.

People also have some contrarian opinions about RPGs.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Falstaff posted:

I helped run a Neverwinter Nights server once upon a time, and this is an argument that kept coming up no matter how many times we GMs beat it down.

There's something about this garbage idea that draws to it a certain small but persistent subset of D&D nerds like flies to honey. I'm sure it comes up in fandoms for other RPG settings, but I have yet to see it.

The capitalist urge to steal labor is strong.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Benagain posted:

At least they've consistently shown that white will go fasc with very little prodding.

White are liberals.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Froghammer posted:

The subtext here is that all of those options are mathematically non-viable unless you take the feats to make them viable, which is functionally identical to them being locked behind a feat or power.

D&D has an established pattern of not just saying "no" but instead purposefully making the rules so bad that people won't try it.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

Disarming is indeed not a part of 4e's basic actions, not even through some power IIRC (and if it is, then it's a fairly unique one), and that is a good thing. Pressing an instant threat-b-gone button is lame.
Sunder is another move that doesn't need to be in the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Megazver posted:

Disco Elysium is also a P:T ripoff

They call him The Shameless One.