Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I hate that we have to be on the lookout for nazi symbolism that might slip under our radars.
I hate that if I were to explain this to most people they would think I'm a nutjob conspiracy theorist.
I hate that nazis are even part of this culture war that is going on. They should be dead by now. We should have gotten rid at least of them, of all things.

I hate a lot of things.

The freaking DHS has a 14-word slogan starting with We Must Secure. The dogwhistles are everywhere these days. Its depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

EverettLO posted:

Did anyone else see that MYFAROG is now inexplicably an option for "Fan Favorite Publisher of the Year" in the Ennies? Surely this is just a strange coincidence and not indicative deep political shifts being brought to the surface among vocal segments of the tabletop market.

I had a friend who likes this poo poo, and he recently let us know he thinks the Holocaust numbers were exaggerated.

gently caress the alt right.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Adding subjective elements to judging sounds like it'd make D&Dsports even more of a nightmare to balance than it already is.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kurieg posted:

Nu White Wolf managed to let the Gangrel trademark lapse, somehow.

Does this mean it goes to the wrestler now?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I think Team Four Star and Alfabusa's content mirror each other a lot. Started off as a cheap, meme-y parody, fleshed out to the point where it almost became more about telling a story than making gags, and simultaneously serves as both a foot in the door and a lock on the same door for various future projects.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Talas posted:

The Lead Developer of Star Wars: Legion, Armada, and X-wing was fired from Atomic Mass Games after only 8 months in the new company.
https://twitter.com/Lukeweddy/status/1421199267457241088

He was the last dev from the ones that made the transition from FFG.

Wait, I'm out of the loop. FFG sold off their loving Star Wars license!? How do they give up such a huge property?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. With how many fangames like A2MR, the Streets of Rage remake, and Pokemon Uranium just get unceremoniously snapped out of existence, Astartes being brought, hosted for free, and given the greenlight for an official sequel seems like living the dream.

I'd get it if GW was actually taking fan videos down. And I agree that the policy, even if its just a scarecrow, may have been a little too effective at scaring fan creators off. But so far the only takedowns have been poo poo like literal piracy, like the Moth Trove. Even people that were making fan videos before and turned down GW's offer were allowed to keep doing it, just demonetized in the process.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
GW's done plenty of wrong in their existence. And if GW really does start beating fanworks down with a lead pipe, I'll be right there complaining with everyone. Hell, I actually really enjoyed TTS and thought it was pretty heartbreaking that the guy had to end the project the way he did. But compared to a lot of other copyright poo poo in the games industry, this has been downright merciful, and people with thirdhand information blowing it up into a massive issue is a headache.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
This is probably a seriously dumb question, and I'm saying this as someone who loved TTS. But at what point does something go from parody to light-hearted fanfic?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

admanb posted:

What's the purpose of the differentiation? Like, is "fanfic" less valuable or more infringing than "parody"?

Mostly for the purposes of knowing when somebody is protected under our current copyright laws. Is there even a hard line? Or is it a big old grey spectrum?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
As a lurker, I feel like different people want different things out of this thread. "The TG Industry" is way too broad of an umbrella. Is it entirely about the people and personalities in the industry? If so, of course design talk will feel off topic. However, if you're talking about the industry as an industry, I feel like design, innovation, and how those factors play into the market is more on topic than a tabletop man's Twitter posts. I think a rename to generalize it less, or maybe a thread split, might help these two conversations get less tangled up.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Judging by the OP: "This thread is for discussing the business side of tabletop gaming, including current events, release schedules, what artists and writers are paid, getting into the business or encouraging others to do so, the do's and don'ts of running a business, community management, and so on."

I'm wondering if some users want this thread to be more for industry news than industry discussion? Some posts here seem to be suggesting the thread should go dormant when there aren't current events happening, or treat spikes of new posts hitting the thread as misleading proof that something big's happened recently.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Caustic Soda posted:

As a lurker, I'm somewhat ambivalent. The 4e discussion sometimes interests me and sometimes makes my eyes glaze over. That said, I'm glad this thread isn't just a gossip column where most of the gossip is people being literal rapists, racist as gently caress, particularly exploitative capitalists and what-have-you. It's important news, but reading nothing but is emotionally exhausting.

I think ultimately D&D/specific-RPG discussion is most on-topic when it covers the business end of things: how well they sell, what tie-in materirals there are, fan-and-other-customers reactions, that sort of thing. Discussion on what constitutes a good or well-balanced RPG is relevant only insofar as it touches on customer reception. So, for example, the discussion on how 4e was apparently a bridge too far for many people, or the customer base for OSR compared to 5e, or the like.

I second this as a really good idea on where to draw the line. "I think 4E is a good game" is as relevant to a tabletop industry thread as "Big Macs are better than Whoppers" is to a fast food industry thread, but exploring, say, what makes Lancer more of a success while 4E was a lot more controversial is incredibly on brand.

I think one elephant in the room we're ignoring in that discussion, by the way, is that Lancer isn't Dungeons and Dragons. If there's anything I've learned about DnD, it's practically a genre or industry of its own at this point, and all the design work in the world isn't going to change the fact that people have expectations about what Dungeons and Dragons is that'll color their perspectives. For another example, look no further than Dungeon World, and how it took PbtA design but added a ton of DnD elements because it needs to feel like DnD. Maybe not having that same tether, and the expectations of carrying a venerable brand name, is part of what let Lancer find its own identity and audience instead.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
The greater tabletop ecosystem nowadays definitely seems reliant on people getting into DnD, getting tired of DnD, and someone in their circle introducing them to not-DnD. And that's a process that more often and not just ends in DnD players who complain about DnD instead of people trying different games out.

If the Avatar game leads to an 80s-esque resurgence of tie in tabletop RPGs I'll laugh my rear end off. I want to see the modern design philosophy equivalents of poo poo like the TMNT and Street Fighter systems.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
People absolutely have drawn lines in the sand effortposting on individual releases, like the Tasha's changes and the mere existence of the MtG settings. Never underestimate a DnD player's ability to whine.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
GW seems to be at an impasse of treating the Imperium as a bloated, failing mess governed by cruel, self-serving tyrants and fuelled by blind zealotry, but portraying the factions within it as noble heroes doing their best with a godawful position. And that's before you consider all the recent Guilliman stuff.

Whether that makes the fascist overtones better (the society is an utter failure even if individuals do their best) or worse (politicians, administrators, and religious figures are useless, only trust the army) is up to you.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kai Tave posted:

I think there has been a lot of stuff that's presented as propaganda and such, like the whole Imperial Infantryman's Uplifted Primer is in the same camp as a VaultTec guidebook, but even outside explicit goofiness there's been stuff before like in-universe recountings of "great battles of the Imperium" all of which end in devastating losses and destroyed worlds, but at the same time there's also been a lot of stuff that's just presented authorially and not as a product of unreliable narration.

Part of the issue I think is that this kind of "drift" is probably inevitable when you have decades of expanded universe stuff happening from the hands of dozens and dozens of creators all kind of off working in their own little corners. It's like with Space Marines, you have a dozen people making stories about the Manly Band of Brothers because it's hard to tell a story about space marines if they're all just brainwashed ultra murder-zealots with zero personality, and so now you have a bunch of stories like that, and then other authors use those stories as a starting point for their own stuff, etc etc. And you sort of have the issue, as was pointed out, of a lot of authors adopting the approach of "the Imperium as an institution is bad but there are noble people working within it" which brings its own open can of worms to the party.

It probably doesn't help that the Imperium as an institution is now headed by one of those noble people, especially one that's literally the first living son of the Emperor to come home. And while he's arguably being one of the most reasonable people in space, he's still keeping up all the crusading and the warfare. Though at the same time, his intro also wouldn't have even been possible if it wasn't for the Eldar, so it isn't like "purge all the aliens" is a black-and-white viewpoint of the franchise.

It makes me wonder in which ways the Imperium moving forward like this is good for the franchise, and in which ways it's bad for it. It's doing a lot to help the franchise not stagnate, but I'm hoping it doesn't lead to the Imperium sliding right into the protagonist role in a relatively uncritical fashion. I believe the Guilliman books delve into the sheer mess he's stepped into, and how much he hates what humanity's become, but I really hope that doesn't all get papered over with an "it's okay, humanity's all better now!"

The Bee fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 16, 2021

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

counterspin posted:

I believe it has already been mentioned, but I think all of this also has to be kept in mind that the primary target for so much of this stuff is teenage boys. So 'they're just too stupid to get it' doesn't apply as much, because the whole thing is created with the specific goal of appealing to children.

People can absolutely be too stupid to get media that appeals to children. Fascist Bronies exist. At some point you're either willfully ignorant or dumber than a sack of bricks, and I'll gleefully accept "both" as an answer when it comes to fash.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'm starting to feel like nobody in the industry knows what an NFT is, and just throws it out as a buzzword at this point.

We're getting it bad over in video games now. Just look at STALKER.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I haven’t been following for a long time, but please tell me I’m reading this right and the franchise about people hoarding weird technology they don’t understand that’s really trash has now also started hoarding weird technology they don’t understand that’s really trash.

I yearn for this irony.

They're selling NFTs now, yes. Including three that give you an in game NPC in your likeness. Which, even in a theoretical world where NFTs weren't energy wasting shitshows, seems like it would gain no value from being an NFT.

Like, seriously. I don't need a digital ledger to confirm that an NPC with my face is owned by me. It has my goddamn face.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, I think most factions besides Marines do a better job of communicating the satire. The Guard runs the gamut from terrified conscripts being threatened with literal execution to vat-grown soldiers with a deep-seated cultural deathwish. Sisters are deeply immersed in blind zaotry, and have repentance through torture literally baked into their core unit list. Adeptus Mechanicus punish innovation on pain of death and trundle into battle with a cadre of lobotomized cyborg servants. You only need to see a Conmissar, a Penitent Engine, or a Servitor model to know these are some bad dudes.

Marines (and their various power armored offshoots) feel a lot easier to sanitize in contrast. And their core fantasy doesn't involve conscription like the Guard or blind zealotry to the degree of the other two factions I named. If you dig deep, you'll find some real iffy stuff, like cannibalism being baked into their genes and chapters named poo poo like the Marines Malevolent. But especially if your entire exposure to Marines is chill chapters like ths Ultramarines or Salamanders, they just kinda seem like chill, heroic space dudes surrounded by a lot of weird trappings.

You know what's actually really similar? Halo. A series that if you only peek at the games is about a cool super soldier guy protecting humanity, then you read the expanded material and oh poo poo, it's fascism everywhere.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 17, 2021

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Playing as the loser fuckface nerds is great when you choose to play as the loser fuckface nerds. Playing as the loser fuckface nerds when you're being sold a bunch of badasses, on the other hand, kinda sucks.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I mean, they also named the Dark Angels' fortress after a local gay bar, which considering they're the chapter with a dark secret . . .

Starting to think the satirical elements were more local jokes about the UK rather than high-minded political takedowns.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Which isn't much better on the scale of dark secrets they're deeply ashamed of front, tbh. But thanks for the correction! I didn't realize that the bit about The Rock was an urban legend. Or that Thraka wasn't named after Thatcher.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
They definitely don't put Marine baggage as front and center as they do Guard, AdMech, or Sister baggage. Even in the model line itself, you can get modeled representations of those factions' sins, but there's no "Brother-Captain Jebediah eating someone's frontal lobe to gain their memories" unit you can whip out.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I think what they're saying is there are already starter sets, and they literally don't require buying those three big, expensive books. There's a culture problem where people do insist on needing all three books, but that's an entirely separate can of worms from the starter sets legit not existing.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Eladrin were a sensible development because, much like wizards being a horrifying amalgsmate of everyone in all of fiction that's ever cast a spell, elves were every single fictional depiction of an elf rolled together. Separating at least the wood elf and high elf depictions out gives them a much more coherent racial fiction and identity.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
The gnome identity's always seem kinda confused to me. Forest gnomes just feel like halfling elves, rock gnomes like halfling dwarves. However, I think you can reconcile those two identities and make them feel more distinct by basically playing them as brownies or other sorts of helpful fair folk. Mischief? Check. Loves to tinker? Check. Intertwined with the natural world? Check.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

potatocubed posted:

Somebody in a Discord I'm in plays up gnomes' connection to the fey realms by making them work on explicit cartoon logic, like they're Roger Rabbit in the live-action world the rest of the characters inhabit.

I feel like that could be brilliant or dreadful, depending on the player you get.

This sounds like the kind of thing I'd love to play in a game with close friends, but would never, ever trust a rando with. Kinda like Kender.

Of course, while we're discussing all of this, it's important to also consider the recent pushes to divide culture and physiology with DnD races. I wonder how much impact this will have on features like subraces, or trying to figure out the "difference" between Halflings and Gnomes. I wonder if instead of race and subrace, we might instead see Ancestry and Culture in future editions of DnD, potentially with the ability to mix and match the two.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 30, 2021

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Vanguard Warden posted:

The hypothetical about the video-game-poisoned person was silly, but the complaint about all the races being 'flat' just seems like an extension of D&D editions and spin-offs being rules-light on non-combat or non-physical stuff (not specific to 4e either, it's always been there). Like in most editions if a race/ancestry is smaller in size, the game goes "yo, these guys are small, they're harder to hit and better at sneaking and maybe they can't use all the cool big weapons". If there's a general antipathy towards drow or whatever, because they have a bad reputation or because there are negative superstitions about them or just because everybody is currently at war with a drow faction so you're probably a spy, there's no mechanical tracking or balance for that. It's not even just a fantasy racism thing, the same could apply to worshipers of particular deities or practitioners of magic in general.

Even if there WAS some sort of mechanical tracking for that stuff, WotC couldn't just slap it on particular options because settings vary and it's all up to the particular game being run, or even different regions of the same setting because the drow being hated would obviously stop being a thing if you were IN the drow kingdom itself. In a system like D&D with levels and classes and big chunky feat selections though, it's not super viable to come up with some sort of discount or something to offset the penalty even if you did homebrew something up and sticky-note it onto the applicable options.

Yeesh. Like, having an evil empire commit horrible crimes against humanity is kind of what you'd expect, but the framing here is "yeah they committed a little light genocide, but look at how well everything turned out!" It's condoned by the narrative. Instead you could've just, like, waved your hand and declared people to not be prejudiced in your setting. Or if you really needed to justify it to yourself because of continuity or whatever, just have some sort of magical teleportation mishap trans-locate people all over the place randomly, bingo bongo nobody committed genocide.

Pathfinder 2e at least does a fairly decent job of handling the "X living among Y" issue. Wanna' make a human who was raised in a dwarven orphanage? 1st level general feat Adopted Ancestry for dwarf, now you select all your ancestry features from human OR dwarf and can be a human who picked up crazy good dwarven craftsmanship skills and the ability to sprint full-speed in heavy armor with a tower shield while screaming about Torag's glory.

That's actually a really clever way of doing that kind of split ancestry, IMO. Its a shame none of my Pathfinder loving friends like Pathfinder 2E because I really like the sound of all of its non vancian magic related systems.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Anyone else feel a little iffy on Kamigawa being made into MtG's first sci-fi / cyberpunk set?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Okay, good. It was definitely a bit of am eyebrow raiser to stumble upon, but I'm glad to hear they're at least doing the premise right imstead of diving headfirst onto orientalism.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Eh, it seems too benign to be a Sylvanus-type mistake. Probably just benign lack of knowledge, not intentional trollery.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Are you referring to Age of Sigmar? It's not the same, it uses (some) of the same models but just about everything else is completely different.

No, they mean Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. The team who does it, Cubicle7, currently does all of GW's rpg systems, including AoS' (Soulbound) and what they've been able to salvage of 40k's (Wrath and Glory).

Now, Warhammer Fantasy Battles? That's pretty much down to Total War: Warhammer now. And I doubt we'll ever see it back on tabletops.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 20, 2022

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Whatever Old World is, it doesn't seem like it'll be EFHB. It takes place in a completely different time period, and so far seems more human focused (I think Empire, Kislev, and Cathay?) instead of everything WHFB had going on. But it is also way too little info to tell beyond that.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I can't blame them for not wanting a segregated This Is Where All The Black Characters Are chapter, but instead retconning them into literal coal black mutations seemed like a swing and a miss of rectifying it as opposed to, y'know. Adding black characters to other chapters.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
For a lot of PbtAs, I think its part of the appeal. Most RPGs feel like they have a party on the same page being mediated and opposed by a GM, so PbtA in the original AW vein really is a radical framework shift. Its messy character drama free for alls like WWRPG, Monsterhearts, and Masks I think of first and foremost for that type of PbtA, and it really is a taste you have to be down for.

I'm curious, how do more collaborative ones like Fellowship play out?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'd argue that's a strength, not a weakness, honestly. But I imagine its a matter of perspective.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Warthur posted:

I think it's both, at different times.

When you have a sufficient group of people to run a game with, and all of them are very down to the specific fiction a PbtA game is trying to cater to, it's absolutely a strength.

To my mind it flips to being a weakness in two contexts. The first, minor one, is when you and your group are in a mood for a particular fiction, but you aren't aware of any especially satisfying PbtA games which cater to it. (There probably is one, but you may need to research it a bit - and if none of you knew about that game, none of you are familiar enough with it to pick it up and run it, adding a delay to when you can start playing.)

The more significant time it's a weakness is when you and your group want a game which has a fairly broad focus, for whatever reason, and there's a whole bunch of reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

- Perhaps you're up for long-term campaign play and you'd like the campaign to incorporate a fairly broad range of moods and themes, so one clutch of sessions might be a tense murder mystery and then the next plot arc might be perilous dungeon exploration or whatever, and you specifically want to do that in a persistent setting with a continuous group of PCs rather than playing a murder mystery game and then switching to a dungeoneering game.

- Or perhaps you want to play a quick game of something with reasonably broad possibilities because you've not gamed with each other before and you think it'd be a good way to feel out each others' preferences, or figure out what sort of game you want to play with this specific group. Kind of like the equivalent of jamming a bit as a band before you decide on a specific musical direction (at which point the more specific song formats/game systems can come into play).

- Or maybe the specific idea your group has bought into is a mystery box scenario - beyond character creation guidelines, you don't know what the game's going to be about because you, as a group, think it would fun for it to be a surprise (and you trust the referee enough to make it a good surprise), so using a very tightly defined, thematically specific system would undermine that.

- Or you don't have a group as yet and you want to meet new people at the RPG night at your local game shop, and you want to run something you can be fairly sure of getting players for.

Contrary to a lot of RPG theory rhetoric, going for the big-tent, more flexible, less focused game is actually the right answer in some situations, and that game's almost never going to be a PbtA game in my experience - or if it is, it'll be a pretty lousy example of that because it's pulling as hard as it can away from the strengths of that approach. 5E is going to be the better call for the "I want to play something popular" use case, for instance, and for the other use cases I'd be inclined to go for something blandly inoffensive with a proven track record in a lot of genres (probably BRP in my case because it's a system I am familiar enough with to use for lots of different contexts).

Oh, no doubt. PbtA games are for very specific moods and genres with groups comfortable about getting deep with each other, and that's practically the antithesis of your average pickup game. I still think focus is usually better than a lack thereof, and a broader game should be something mechanics light and simple, but there's a reason why it feels like the gaming sphere has stopped acting like PbtA is the insta-slam pick answer to everything (hello, Dungeon World).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Halloween Jack posted:

Even the most diehard GURPS or Hero System fanatics probably realize that it's not the best ruleset for absolutely anything. I think it's market pressures, more than anything else, that leads to stuff like D20 Pride & Prejudice or 5E Compatible All My Children.

Pretty much, yeah. 5E sells big, has outside reach, and as most people's first exposure to a combination of gaming and improv gets billed as "a game where you can do anything."