Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Didn't Zak S send someone here a photo of their kid's school? Extremely psycho behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just keep hoping Greg Stafford remains a friendly anthropologist hippie shaman.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

What kind of linguistic bullshit is this? A poo poo-ton of countries are The Something. No one says The Netherlands or The US or The UK are just territories cause you put a The in front it.

You put a Le/La/Les in front of EVERY country in French for god's sake.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GimpInBlack posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Ukraine

It's not "linguistic bullshit," it's an issue with, y'know, context and history in the region, and it's something Ukraine has officially asked people to stop doing because revanchist assholes like to use it to imply that Ukraine is just a part of Russia.

It’s linguistic bullshit, this is freedom fries levels of dumb, which was also done by government officials.

Seriously, we know Ukraine is a country being invaded. No need to invent something about how putting a ‘the’ in front of a country implies it’s somehow not a country, something that isn’t true in the English language and doesn’t apply to all the other countries that are referred to with a ‘the’ in front. Why the gently caress are we doing freedom fries again!?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I read up on it and this is reflecting a different distinction in Russian/Ukrainian themselves, as they do not have a definite article:
it's v Ukrayini (Ukraine, a sovereign country) vs. na Ukrayini (The Ukraine, a territory).

Yeah, this is simply not how English works. Thinking about it, the reverse also isn’t true: we don’t say The Ohio or The Quebec.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If it wasn't clear, I mean using "Ukraine" instead of "The Ukraine" is a way of respecting a different distinction in the original languages, so I agree with them and not with your original argument about this being "linguistic bullshit".

…but is? It’s a distinction that exists in the original language but not in English?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Do you respect peoples pronouns or do you also just complain that it doesn't make sense and do whatever you want anyways?

I respect people's pronouns, it makes both linguistic and social sense. It's the right way to do it. And I'm insulted that you'd imply I'm a transphobe/TERF.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sorry for this morning. I got stuck in the toxic "Must win argument on the internet" mindset.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, Williams indubitably made some stupid decisions, but many of the criticism she's faced is either flatly untrue or frankly stupid, like the Many Buckets Theory.

Never heard of the many buckets theory. What was it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

It's the idea that there's two approaches when it's raining money, make one big bucket to catch as much as you can, or waste time making a bunch of smaller buckets. The argument that's usually leveled at Williams is that she squandered TSR's golden opportunity by trying to cast too wide a net with AD&D 2e, mostly through all of the extra campaign settings like Planescape, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, etc. instead of focusing solely on straight-up fantasy, I guess? Because it's not like those are adored by a subsection of D&D fan or anything.

For all I know the buckets theory has some merit to it but it's spurious enough of an argument that it usually reads like armchair quarterbacking years after the fact.

Huh, never heard that one before. Thanks for the info.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

"The book of weeaboo fightan magic" was a common "joke".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

This makes me hate Barker even more, holy poo poo.

Like regardless of whether you were only kidding writing your Nazi novel, motherfucker sold it to NATIONAL VANGUARD.

Never heard of National Vanguard, but that sounds very bad indeed.

Lol at defending someone who wrote a Turner Diaries-like.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

National Vanguard is the company who published The Turner Diaries. They’re apparently also the people who were trying to make Prussian Blue a thing too!

Hahaha holy poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the Free League would like to be Black Lives Matter, but it comes across as kind of hollow since they have nothing in common except a vague dedication to "don't tell me what to do" that doesn't really result in them actually doing anything. They don't really feel like a genuine minority group; they feel like a group that works the way conservative pundits think the world works where the government is constantly struggling to cancel them.

Sometimes I just randomly remember that Aymon Bundy, of those crazy guys who took over a wildlife refuge, made pro-BLM statements.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Detwiller really is just in a constant race with himself to be the biggest rear end in a top hat imaginable. It wasn't that long ago he was opining that anyone who thinks D&D has if not a literal monopoly on the TRPG scene than a figurative one is literally mentally ill.

Wait, was he saying people who think DND has a monopoly are mentally ill or those who thinks it doesn't?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

And I thought Kenneth Hite was the ones with bad opinions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It makes sense to apply the cosmic horror of lovecraft to the human horror of the deep state, as they basically have the same root: how tiny and pointless you are compared to the great beast that devours lives.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, if I run Delta Green I'm keeping the original setup.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Come watch Evilgod beat up Peacefist! No this is NOT a superhero game comic books are for BABIES gently caress you

The most hilarious part is how the Trinity metaplot managed to actually be pretty good, with the adventures putting the PCs at the center of it all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

To go back to Delta Green for a second, any kind of deep dive into the history of American intelligence should show there's a huge amount of real-life horror in there. There's def something there for a good mythos game. Probably too dark for most people though.

Edit: And I don't mean that in a dismissive way either. poo poo is dark.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Jakarta method, MKUltra, Gladio, CHAOS, etc.

When I was reading Chaos I got an idea for a Fall of Delta Green campaign set around Hollywood in the 60s, and I'm never gonna run it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Golbins are my friends.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, I want to be excited but I remember how :effort: 5e's campaign settings have been so far, Eberron excepted.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

The Ravenloft redo was rather nice. Granted, they only detailed about a dozen of the "over thirty" domains included, but those dozen were some excellent updates to old domains and some new ones.

I mostly liked it, and some of the new ones were great (like the Eberron Ghost Train), but I'm still irked they decided to make every Domain an Island of Terror.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Steal a space wilderness hexcrawl from Traveller, they got a bunch of those.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think my take on Actual Plays not being good investment for smaller rpg studios is that capitalism sucks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wait, the Atlas Game people sucks? Aww man I love Ars Magica and Feng Shui.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

FWIW, having run 0e Mothership, I found it playable for one-shots (which seemed like the design goal at the time, especially based on the 3 released modules) and actually find it better for my purposes than the final release game is, to the point where I canceled my pledge.

But I get what you're going for and agree overall.

I kickstarted Mothership but didn't run it yet. What are the problems with it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hostile V posted:

There's a real problem of PCs both being too weak to really do damage and also too healthy to really hurt, it's not nearly as dangerous and perilous as the design idea wants. The other real problem is that across the board newly made PCs just kinda suck at things. You're Strongly Encouraged to give them advantage/benefits when not in danger or stressed and the normal skills and stuff are meant to be for combat scenarios and high-tension moments but also the PCs just kind of suck.

Hmm, sad. Guess the solution is to make them a bit stronger?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Octavo posted:

This largely holds true, but I will point out that 13th Age Glorantha added a Fighter with daily powers called the Humakti Warrior.

Who can be a Duck, as they often worship Humakt, god of death.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm gonna be playing a Humakti Duck, called Venharl Helmcleaver, in an upcoming Runequest game.

Hell yeah.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Are Buddhists heavy into vengeful crusades

Historically yes. They are a religion, and have done all the poo poo other religions have done, good and bad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Qoey posted:

Neoliberal... Anarchists???

So, anarchists?

(I kid, I kid)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

To go back to L337, I love how the Auralnauts keep bringing that up. They had Lando betray Han to get her back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwsMYJdmutQ&t=618s

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Lancer character creator is still the best one I've seen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I sometimes chuckle when remembering that the white race was actually the worst race in super racist rpg Rahowa.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

That's an incredibly Québécois name.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's Wod though. Even if that's arguably the best book WW ever did.

I'd argue for the Horror Recognition Guide instead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

He also wants to make Fighters shittier.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Berkshire Hunts posted:

As long as we’re dropping edition war hot takes ITT I’d like to say it drives me absolutely nuts that mage the awakening will never see another book because someone decided to try and rehab the version of vampire with the racism clans

Yeah, they killed the nWoD because the old one has "more rband recognition".

And then half-assedly try to make V5 more like Requiem anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Only 13A book I own is the Glorantha one, cause I bought all the current Glorantha core rules on impulse.