Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Elizabeth Mills posted:

As someone who's been balls-deep in Slay the Spire for the last month, cards as a way of generating a random array of options available along with a path to upgrades/character advancement seem like the platonic ideal and I have no idea how we even bothered with dice.

Probably because, no matter how much people tout the "combat puzzle" aspects of modern D&D, most people don't actually want to solve elaborate puzzles every time they take a turn in an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nystral posted:

Is there a good write up on why WOTC did DND 3.5 vs just naming it 4? It wasn’t very clear to me at the time and I’d be hard pressed to remember it now. Where there any major changes then?

3.5 was basically a big patch on 3.0.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Let's go full circlejerk and make up modules, give "awards" to them and then write fake overly-earnest interviews with the creators of these modules after they've won the award. These can be hosted on the somethingawful front page and for maximum wankery each interview can be at least halfway gameable.

tbh it's starting to sound like you're designing an indie RPG.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nessus posted:

Does this mean Republicans are the real liberals now or what, how does this work

As for companies that do or do not do crimes, has Privateer done anything in this vein?

I'm not confident anyone still works at Privateer.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Arivia posted:

Yes, yes, tone policing and all that. I'm familiar with minority politics. I'm not talking about their opinions on inclusivity or racism or oppression in the industry. I keep seeing tweets by them like "none of you know how to write/design/play as well as me." There's an incredibly offputting swaggering overconfidence to their discussions about anything when it comes to RPGs, not just racialized issues.

I don't know where you're getting this. They project a lot of confidence because they know that projecting confidence is a big part of being successful, and it's something that minorities tend to be bad at. They're also a huge booster of both other minority voices and experienced voices in the industry, when they're doing good. Look at any of DC's posts about Sean Nittner/Big Bad Con, for example. I would be interested to see an actual example of them saying "I'm the best at all of this."

I'm not cancelling Harper over this (and tbh I'm more on his side as far as categorization goes) but it's definitely a bad look.

admanb fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 11, 2019

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Austria felix nube posted:

What games has dungeon commander worked on?

(I'd like to know so I can avoid their work. Being confident is one thing; being overconfident, arrogant even, is quite another. When John Harper and Avery Alder tell you that your "new" idea might be flawed, one should have the humility to at least think about it - those are people with very impressive work and insight pertaining RPG design.)

A truly incredible job proving their whole point for a "I don't even know who this person is but I'm definitely never going to buy the products I already wasn't going to buy!" post. Just showed your entire rear end in one go.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

John Harper is hardly the Wise Old Man of elfgames, he's had one big breakout game which is currently dealing with stretch goal mismanagement. That hardly qualifies him as someone deserving of reverence and if he rolled into a discussion of mine with that sort of attitude I'd tell him to go gently caress himself too, it was completely uncalled for and the fact that he's unreservedly apologizing because even he recognizes that what he did was dumb and lovely should maybe be a big neon-flashing sign for you to consider here.

It's also completely proving DC's point about the harm that John Harper can do just by being well-known. Even after Harper completely admits to wrongdoing there are people who are going to cancel a creator who, by their very birth, is on the margins of being able to survive, entirely for the sin of not being willing to roll over and show their belly to a "Wise Old Man" who's being a shitheel.

Kai Tave posted:

I will disagree with this point somewhat. I don't actually think rulebook size or complexity influences the decision to play a game as much as people assume it does. There was a big push in the 3.X D&D days for games with lighter systems, games that touted "our system fades into the background! It's super easy! It's rules light!," all that stuff, and it was kind of taken as a sort of received wisdom that all you needed was the perfect lightweight non-complex ultra condensed game and you'd have everyone who couldn't wrap their heads around "harder" systems in bigger books beating a path to your door. Ultimately, while there's no real data for anything anywhere in the hobby, none of these efforts really seem to have demonstrated the massive demand for lightweight RPGs lurking in the wings and most people still just seem to play D&D, which is not what I would describe as the least complex game in existence. I feel like "I don't want to have to learn a new system" is often given as a reason for not wanting to play other games but I feel like it's not really the crux of the reason.

Agreed, and I'll add that the people I run games for who don't read rulebooks don't read 150-page conversationally-written indie rulebooks just as well as they don't read 300-page OSR technical manuals.

admanb fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 12, 2019

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Arivia posted:

I’m not going to go back through their tweets but I see it every time I see them on social media. That degree of masculine overconfidence is really offputting. They can have good content and representation all they like, I just dislike their swaggering big stick style and absolute unwillingness to compromise with others.

Okay but like... I follow them on Twitter and have seen none of this, so as far as I'm aware you've made this up to support a preconceived notion based on the unfamiliarity of confidence and a lack of kow-towing from a non-white-male source.

This is a person who has been mentored by both Avery Alder and John Harper, who collaborated with other designers on the project that won an ENnie, and who is constantly boosting other up-and-coming voices. You can't just say they're "unwilling to compromise" based on one public argument in which the other side admittedly to being unequivocally wrong.

And your (or mine, or anyone's) assessment of their talent or lack thereof is utterly irrelevant.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Like most I struggle through Tolkien's long descriptions of travelling but The Hobbit is extremely readable. Fellowship is rough until the end, Two Towers and RotK are great during the non-Frodo stuff and the Frodo stuff is still 50/50.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Omnicrom posted:

So is Far West basically Star Citizen without the cult?

no

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Glagha posted:

What the gently caress is that even legal? Like, that seems completely unenforceable and like you should be able to just tell them to gently caress off but I am no legal expert.

Everyone seems to agree on that, but apparently she already paid the fee so it's too late.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

I still think his game's Ennie win is suspicious, given his relentless self-promotion. I have no proof, but he seems like the exact sort of fellow who'd find the weakest point in the voting system to get his game on top.

Isn't that basically the Ennie's though?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

slap me and kiss me posted:

What are examples of games with good licenses for sharing mechanics and content?

I know apocalypse world, and the OGL are pretty big deals. Any others?

For the Queen/Descended From the Queen

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

neaden posted:

Y'all realize Twitch is owned by Amazon right? They are moving from one Amazon platform to another.

You're not obligated to keep tying yourself to the same platform for all your output. In fact one of the benefits to getting as big as something like Critical Role is being able to make it without tying yourself to a big waving dick like Amazon.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Gerund posted:

Just to check, the Green Ronin Timeline (TM) still hasn't come out, has it?

They 100% realized that actually posting that timeline would be even more tone-deaf than they already looked, even if it absolved them of some part of their garbage decision making.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Losing the L5R rpg is gonna be a huge sadness. They were doing some truly amazing work with it.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance that L5R will continue to exist as a product line developed almost entirely through contract/freelance work.

So it'll be worse, but it'll exist.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

FMguru posted:

Yeah, Gygax and crew thought the whole point of the game was building your own world and drafting your own adventures to play through, and they were just baffled by the idea that people would want to play in someone else's world with modules that someone else put together. Which actually makes a lot of sense considering they came up through miniatures gaming (where play groups were expected to assemble their own armies and terrain and design their own scenarios and kitbash and houserule whatever ruleset they used). Gygax designed and published several minis rulesets (Tractics, Chainmail, Don't Give Up The Ship) before working on D&D.

While this is true, a lot of wargaming does involve poring over history books and military manuals to duplicate uniforms, equipment, and formations from specific periods of history to create your armies, and then doing the same thing with campaigns and battles to create your maps and OOB.

So it's not that logical. It's like... well, it's Gygax-logical.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I don’t think it was much of a secret that Tenkar is a piece of poo poo.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Suit-guy can definitely be a Trumpian con artist but can just as easily be a centrist tool. Let’s not over-generalize.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly, from what I've been able to tell digging around, I think he's talking about folks who are mad that he's not forcing everyone to go back to work on the campaign because COVID. I think this might have just been extremely poor timing.

That makes way more sense than anything this thread has brought up.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/wundergeek/status/1264365019631886337

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

It's honestly pretty impressive that a company based in Washington state can't even find talented, enthusiastic coders to exploit for exposure, you'd think there'd be someone with actual programming skills champing at the bit to be an Official WotC Code Person for a pittance, meanwhile Comp/Con is over here going into the next part of its roadmap where it's going to be adding more campaign management tools, an official homebrew editor/importer framework, gameplay tracking systems (so you can keep track of things like how many enemies you've defeated, how many times you've taken structure/stress damage, etc), and achievements.

It’s because they paid like absolute poo poo and you have to work in Renton, so you’re far away from actual Seattle, but on the plus side you couldn’t afford to live in Seattle anyways! So they only got people who just wanted to work at WOTC (who would quit within six months, because it also wasn’t a very good company to work for) and people who couldn’t get a job anywhere else in one of the biggest tech regions in the country.

I think that changed at least somewhat in the lead up to Arena, which helps explain Arena.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

I mean pretty much the entire software industry at large seems to be exploitative as hell but quality software still gets made, I wasn't expecting WotC to actually pay well so much as I figured by now they would have managed to rope in some bright-eyed young software engineer who loves D&D and would gladly be exploited for a chance to be a part of his favorite hobby, but who has, like, actual talent too.

Like it's absolutely fair to say that a big part of how good Comp/Con is comes down to the fact that Massif recognized the opportunity to put a chunk of their Kickstarter largesse towards funding it, and if that hadn't happened it would be in a greatly reduced state from where it is now, but it would still probably be vastly better and more functional than anything WotC has ever put out all from being made by someone in his spare time.

Well, there are degrees of exploitation and most companies (in the Seattle area) at least try to exploit you while slapping a few fat-rear end numbers in front of your face.

But I think there are other factors for what you're talking about. Small indie companies are more likely to get a smart person doing a bunch of work in their free time because (a) they've built up a lot more goodwill than WotC and (b) they're a lot less likely to send a C&D. Kobold Fight Club is a clear example of someone pushing up against the line of what they think won't get them lawyered out of existence.

And once someone gets into the company where they have legal freedom, they're dragged into updating the archaically-designed Daily MTG site or whatever.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

They are canonically lovers. That’s someone making fun of historians.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

BlackIronHeart posted:

This stuff with Koebel has put a point on something that's been nagging me in the back of my head for a few years now. It seems pretty obvious from the replies he's getting that he'd have a supportive, if smaller, audience if he just started up a new RP stream show today. I think it goes without saying that he'd also have quite a few detractors showing up in his chat and tweets and whatnot but that'd only stop him if he allowed them to stop him. He'd (rightly) have a hard time finding sponsors or brand deals but he'd still be getting cash from Twitch via subscriptions and tips.

So, my takeaway is that it seems like 'cancel culture' exists but it's largely toothless and ineffective unless someone allows themselves to be cancelled, no?

*waves at nearly every instance of someone being "cancelled" ever*

yes.

The only part of Koebel's (whom I was a huge fan of and credit with a lot of my resurgence of interest in RPGs) response that I've respected is the part where he's not immediately trying to build that audience, but I'm side-eyeing all that poo poo at the end (also all of the poo poo in the beginning and middle because what a clusterfuck of a post that was) because it looks a lot like trying to submarine his way back into relevance on a slightly-delayed timeline.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, it's just panic and image management. To repeat myself from another thread and elaborate, here's a recent card that I'd bet anything will be remaining in Magic:

...despite the fact that the medieval crusades are long over while the white supremacist hit squad commonly known as "the police" terrorizes America to this day. The flavor text of that card even winks and nudges at you at how cruel and malignant we all know the police really are! And arrests are much closer than crusades to the mass uprisings and political awakenings going across the country. So why is Wizards getting rid of old cards no one plays with or even can play with, but not, say, the entire Azorius guild from the hugely popular Ravnica block? Real mystery.

Did... did you read the flavor text on that card?

Like, by no means am I saying that Wizards is going to end up doing the right thing, but the Azorius Senate is not presented as being the good guys of Ravnica.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Mine was a bad point poorly made. I had a follow-up but Ultiville already wrote it as well as I could've.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CitizenKeen posted:

Not to thread police, but is it possible were veering into Philosophy territory? This hasn't felt super relevant to 5th Edition D&D (or any identifiable game in the industry) for a page or two.

Yeah this feels like an actual "Philosophy of RPGs" topic.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

Didn’t he only start working for them a couple months ago? Like, it’s definitely been less than a year

They are a contractor, so it's almost certainly been less than a year since they couldn't have more than an 18 month contract anyways.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ultiville posted:

WOTC is also under heavy pressure to increase BIPOC non-contract employees and often go contract -> full employment, though. So assuming they were getting good feedback on their work until now, it's pretty reasonable to think a full position would be a possibility.

I mean... *waves at the tweets* it sounds like that is not what was happening.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m a little confused here. They’re looking to work in video games, then? That’s the only other type of rpg I can think of that aren’t tabletop

Not sure why people are latching onto "RPGs" at all. They said "narrative design", which is applicable to all video game design.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

potatocubed posted:

The meme's always been 'could you imagine trying to explain 2020 to someone in 2016', but it turns out it's hard enough trying to explain June 2020 to someone from May 2020.

It's getting to the point where it could take a full day to explain Wednesday to someone from Monday.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Please let me know if you want me to crosspost these to the discord:

https://twitter.com/deathbybadger/status/1276417248605995008

This response mostly sums it up:
https://twitter.com/Mugulord/status/1276533114785783810

But seriously, people are doing good work decolonizing D&D, which I think is constructive enough, even if they're not offering a different system (which they and others often are).

what a fuckin' dipshit

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

His suggested alternative to D&D appears to be his own third-party 5e supplements.

Never trust a Clegg, evidently.

I don't have an issue with people shilling themselves, but this is just "why won't people educate meeeeee" shrieking.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I feel like I need to respond to every post in this thread individually because each time I re-read one it unlocks new depths of absurdity.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

To be honest this exchange seems like a distraction from the idea that the "perfect" game does not exist, and expecting someone's recommendations to be perfect or for them to be accountable(???) for any criticisms leveled against the game is loving absurd.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

It's almost like an institution dominated by straight white dude voices will continue to be lovely regardless of what dramatic statements they make.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

mllaneza posted:

About the only further step he could take would be donating the proceeds to charity, but if he isn't in a position to do that - as many freelancer wouldn't be - that's fine. This was a model apology; almost of all of the times it uses "I" it's in the context of "I hosed up", which is exactly right for an apology..

Someone actually suggested that and he responded favorably:

https://twitter.com/josieundead/status/1278367045315420165

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That's very, uh, lawyer-y.

The original thread was kind of weird. They seemed to have taken a Discord conversation/email exchange that they clearly put a lot of effort into and turned it into something waaaaay bigger than that, and then used that to basically say that CR had hired a diversity consultant and ignored all their advice.

That said, it doesn't change the "individual"'s original concern, which is that the CR community is full of reactionary and abusive voices that are not actively modded out by CR even when they appear in official forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

I think with good reason though?

Yeah. I think part of why it seemed weird is because, as theironjef noted, the original thread merged their "free labor" complaint with their "the community is full of bullies" complaint.