Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Nuns with Guns posted:

To continue the discussion of indie publishing from the prior thread, I backed the Stars Without Numbers revised kickstarter, and not only is it the only kickstarter I've ever backed that delivered ahead of schedule, it also gave out regular updates without missing a beat, and they were all helpful and informative. So yeah, if Kevin Crawford is going full-time off his work I'm really not surprised why. He also didn't address his backers in a creepy wizard voice, so that's a plus.

Kevin Crawford is, in my eyes, the uncontested champion of RPG kickstarters. The man never misses a beat and even if you're not someone who goes for his stuff normally you have to admit it's superbly and expertly done, with solid production values and, yes, delivers ahead of schedule.

There's literally no one else I can think of who I can say all of those things about. If he ran a course on how to be a consummate professional in the field of RPG kickstarter delivery I'd sign up immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Xotl posted:

I can't find the original quote. But he outright says in literally the very next sentence "Except it's not a joke and not a delusion". He writes a rhetorical question, follows it with another sentence ("is delusional") as the argument, and then immediately says the argument is inaccurate. It seems clear to me that it's a framing device, unless you think he's arguing that trans people are delusional but people who want to be a helicopter are not, which is a bizarre argument to make.

His argument seems to be transhumanist, not transphobic - expression of gender is one aspect of expression of identity. His argument appears to be that the attempt to imply that trans people are delusional by claiming an identity of an attack helicopter, which is assumed to be delusional, is flawed because there's nothing intrinsically delusional about identifying as an attack helicopter, and there's reason to believe that at some point in the future it'll be as legitimate to alter your appearance and physicality to reflect that as it is considered legitimate to alter your biology to reflect your gender identity now. He's not calling trans people delusional - quite the opposite, he's trying to point out how flawed and constrained the transphobic messaging is, and how it doesn't make any sense.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Kai Tave posted:

The attack helicopter meme is basically a way of saying "lol trans people are delusional" and attempting to somehow, I dunno, "reclaim" it by going "no no, this time it's meant in deadly earnest, you can ACTUALLY be [thing which is associated with implying that you're a delusional brokebrain]" is, as Saguaro PI says, exceptionally tone deaf. There's been a great deal of medical and psychological research that's gone into gender identity and dysphoria related to that which is why it's not on the same level as somebody going "lol I'm an attack helicopter" so it isn't actually a great comparison to make even in the context of some made-up transhuman sci-fi setting.

Is there a link to the reddit thread in question? I can't seem to turn up anything.

I'm very aware of the distinct issues facing trans people, and the factors that impact on gender identity and dysphoria, as it personally affects me significantly. However, some trans people are also transhumanists, and I don't necessarily see a fundamental problem with this approach, but I agree that it needs to be handled extremely sensitively.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's not a thread. It's a screenshot of a Private Message exchange on reddit

So it's perhaps not terribly well expressed views in a private communication which someone has made public probably without his permission, and therefore unlikely the nuance with which he would express these opinions to a wider audience?

People suck.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

:perfect:

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

That Old Tree posted:

When I found out we would be doing a third edition "from the ground up" I immediately started working on relatively radical proposals like players defining their own skills and Charms reinforcing and being restricted by that, or paring the Ability list down drastically and doing away with Attributes, or more closely tying skills to Attributes like Trinity did.

Then our very first big development email thread was everyone arguing John out of reverting War to Brawl again.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

That Old Tree posted:

InDesign has been capable of living references for about a decade, but OPP is still having writers create documents with the same extremely simple markup WWish books have been using for literal decades. Considering the turnover, I wouldn't relish trying to wrangle more complex markup for dozens and dozens of writers turning in hundreds of documents all probably formatted just a little bit wrong.

I could have sworn that some OPP folks had busted this myth, and that they did use living references and proper markup.