Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

sweet geek swag posted:

How about the stats for a spellcaster system?

Lightning
Inflammable
Granite
Magic
Air

I loving hate that Inflammable is both water and fire at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Dexo posted:

Yeah.

I don't think it's 1 to 1, as I'm pretty sure if you buy everything piece meal it's obviously going to be more expensive but you do get discounts.

You'd eventually reach the point where it's 1.99 for another item or it's 1.23 for the rest of the entire book.

Keeping in mind there are actually 2 version of each book you can buy. One is ONLY the mechanical content like items, classes etc. The other option is that plus the actual reading material of the book.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Dexo posted:

The Fear about NFTs/or Like loving Inspiration being sold or whatever is dumb imo. This whole thing is still a problem because Vertical integration loving sucks, and will make for a far far less healthy ecosystem for artists and designers, but they aren't ever going to be able to get away with offering any in game benefits in a loving tabletop game like this lol.

If they want to make DnD make money you turn it into ttrpg steam.

Anyone can make content, it can be sold, they take a cut.

Wizards can go full CS:GO and make their official game format, Adventurer's League, some that only operates in DNDbeyond and will earn you digital items unique to the AL play. Allow people to resell those items through an auction system with, much like steam, no option to cash out for real money.

Suddenly you have the glowing dick sword +2 exclusive to the AL. And it's only available if you attend a special dndone launch event.

If skins in video games have taught those execs anything, it's that peopel will kill each other for a sword that's glowing purple dick if it means they're the only one who has it.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Leperflesh posted:

I dabble in a lot of hobbies and I can n'th the observation that tons of people only ever engage in one very narrow aspect or part of the hobby.

Woodworking: there are whittlers who refuse to pick up a saw. There are chainsaw animal carvers who are worried about trying to learn how to use a plane. There are people who just make pretty boxes, and nothing else.
Photography: there are people who only work in black & white. There are people who only do portraiture. There are people who only care about taking pictures of birds, and spend tens of thousands of dollars on horrifically expensive lenses to make bird photos better.
Comic books: there are people who love DC and hate Marvel and don't care about any other small print or whatever. There's people who only read superhero stories and people who never read superhero stories. There are people glued to manga who insist western comics are all trash, and vice-versa.
Magic: plenty of posters right here on this forum play their one format and are quite certain all the other formats are trash, or for babies, or insanely expensive, or all three. They like to deride their fellow posters for playing the bad formats or spending their money differently.
Hiking & camping: car camping? Ugh that's for pathetic babies, the only way to hike is wilderness backpacking. Wilderness backpacking? Ugh I can't poo poo in a hole are you insane, I need a campsite with a shower and wifi.
Automotive Insanity: going in a straight line fast is the best. No, autocross is accessible and fun. No, drifting. Actually drifting is stupid as hell. Classic muscle cars own. Actually they're slow and heavy and you'll die, idiot. F1 is the purest pinnacle of the sport. Actually it's incredibly wasteful passtime for the ultra-rich. I only drive Subarus. No I only drive japanese cars. Actually I think you'll fine german engineering is the best. I'm over here restoring 1930s classics, they're so beautiful, I have no interest in anything made after 1950.

It goes on and on and on. Identifying one specific niche and focusing exclusively on it is the norm. Being someone willing and interested in trying out every aspect of a hobby is the rarity.

I don't ever want to play Warhammer or make full canvas art, but the venn diagram of the 2 means I can paint funny littles mans and also allows me to judge people for using them to fight pretend battles or for painting on a flat canvas like a pleb.

The narrows the niche the fiercer the violent retort, I suppose.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

moths posted:

Dungeon Madden and multiple other participants..

"Now you see Jim, what the wizard should do is verify the room is clear of allies before throwing a fireba- oh nope he just threw it in there.

Geez Jim. Ya hate to see such a fresh faced team just be dominated like that. A real shame that, especially this early in the season."

"That it is John, that it is."

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Lumbermouth posted:

D&D YouTubers who increased their subscriber base off of OGL drama videos

I haven't looked, but I'm sure there's a multitude of "Black Flag DESTROYS WotC at their own game." Videos bring pumped out where they hyper focus on one things or the laud KP as innovators for... Doing nothing but phrasing it as "giving players more options"

And then there are certainly counter videos of 'is the hobby DOOMED?" where they haro on the lack of iteration as an instance of the space being out of ideas and stagnating to death because 5e is perfect and now it's all going to die.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The Bee posted:

They still have a chance if One decides to depart radically from 5E, but frankly its playtests are only about as different as Black Flag's has been. And the fact that Black Flag is pushing "feats but named differently" and "humans can be Mountain Dwarves" as big deal highlights in their interviews, instead of saying the best is yet to come, is . . . less than inspiring, tbh.

I don't want to write them off. Especially when the strategy moths mentions keeps paying off gangbusters for Paizo. But they need to give people reasons to support them, and literally anything would've been better than what they showed off.

I mean, at the point KP is billing an inverse WotC. Instead of sweeping changes everyone hates they're just... codifying homebrew? And the reaction to their release has been so lukewarm that if the next drop doesn't throw some punches, theyre liable to burn the goodwill they've established.

What I've seen already reads as knee jerk "put something out while WotC is do pressers to prevent people from going back."

The problem is, peopel going back doesn't hurt KP, it puts them back where they were 2 months ago, but in a better spot since the OGL stuff that mattered is just open CC. If anything, they're able to do more with them accidentally dumping a bunch of IP into CC.

But instead they're going, hey we're gonna make PF2 for fifth edition but worse because we won't actually retool the system to work that way. Have a bunch of feats instead. Also, feats are still, even in their 'retooled' system still an optional rule.

It's baffling.

I'm sure closing out and being in the middle of two Kickstarters isn't helping their focus any either.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The Bee posted:

Avatar gave me that vibe big time. Is it some groundbreaking story? No. But its a rare big budget movie that isn't frozen in mid wink.

So what I'm getting that 4e is The Expendables, pathfinder is John Wick, and 5e is Thor Ragnarok?

Which makes Black Flag....uh.... Love and Thunder?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Donald Duck is officially the most powerful mortal mage in the entire Final Fantasy extended canon.

Honestly I find that the weird bit given Donald you'd think would be a physical fighter and Mickey literally has an iconic outfit as being a wizard. And they outright have Yen Sid show up. Like, Goofy as a paladin I can get at least.

Donald Duck's most powerful spell has yet to be cast screen. It's only in the pages of old comics.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Your username is "comstar" and was registered in 2007 and you weren't aware of this? I got into bt in 2021 and learned this right away: http://ogrecave.com/2010/03/18/catalyst-monetary-trouble-rumor-gets-official-reply/

Its why I ultimately cancelled their pledge.

Reading through this it seems less like corruption and more like incompetence by the original owners. Small business who don't know what they're doing engage in comingling all the time, despite it being rule one of "poo poo not to do".

It reads to me like they had an outside audit, the auditors flagged this as an issue and identified that some didn't an accidental embezzlement, and the owners has to pay it back. I'm sure there was a lot of "but it's my company, I can do what I want" until they told them what the penalties are for embezzling from yourself. At which point they'll pay it back in installments or just give themselves and million dollar bonus and call it a wash.

It's stupid and a gross abuse of personal power, but it could just be someone being a selfish moron as opposed to a malicious actor.

That being said, I wouldn't trust them to manage gently caress all of the staff there watched this happen and went "lol I guess it's ok"

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The point was basically that Kai's surprise that people would still hire the other guy after he did something awful is that well, listen, this industry is basically a joke. Look at new TSR, where they're slapping the Gygax name on whatever garbage products they can poo poo out. Look at Williams TSR, where they basically just racked up debt forever until someone came looking to get paid back for once. Look at Gygax TSR, where the whole TSR company was basically just a meal ticket for Gygax and the Blumes. I'm pretty sure they laid off a ton of people while using company funds to send one of the Blumes's nieces or whatever to university, full ride scholarship. Gygax renting a house in LA to party for months and months etc etc etc, and that was like, the company that started this whole industry!

I guess when the industry leader hires Pinkertons, the little guys have to ramp things up just to be noticed.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Has anyone here noticed a lot of people sort of read dungeon adventures like some kind of weird-rear end comic book or novel and never run them or care about the utility at the table? I see a lot of stuff get praised and then I read it and it's like, a horrid overcomplicated mess that would be an actual nightmare to run at the table. There's an adventure in the WFRP line that requires the PCs to take the hook that they recognize a PC from a previous adventure that's an optional encounter and decide to go balls-deep chasing this lady across the entire Empire of Man because they're a little sketchy. There's a lot of nonsense like that in publishing. I understand buying adventures to steal ideas from, that's a great idea, but I have never in my life ran an adventure, published, without severe editing.

I'm pretty sure this is just how the books are written. I've noticed some WotC adventure books will hide twists until they occur, not even setting it up for the DM in the early prep. So if the DM doesn't read ahead, they'll also be surprised that the character the party loves is actually Strahd in disguise. And since the DM didn't know that, a whole bunch of scenes may or may not suddenly make no sense.

It really reads like some adventures are design to be enjoyed narratively and the play bits are tacked on because they remembered they're supposed to be selling a game.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

If y'all are gonna talk about "war is bad and there are no winners or right choices" you need to talk about Tactics Ogre.

It never laughs at you but it sure does make you feel like a monster for doing the lawful thing.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

neongrey posted:

have you considered that because you can end that game as a king that the game is pro-monarchy

you can just play games for frivolous fun if you want thats just my opinion

I mean, go off but the part that made me feel lovely was the post battle bios where every person you took down was "Jimbo was drafted and caught only because he was looking for his daughter" who you coincidentally also murdered.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Dexo posted:

I'm curious what the art review standards? are for WotC? at this point.

Fixed

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have no idea what identifies this is AI art

Zoom in on part of it. The laws of the wolves. The left foot of the central figure especially stood out to me. The waist just kinda being a mess of lines where you can tell if something is cloth or leather or what have you.

The horn on the left shoulder is just floating up there. Under it is a general mess of shapes and colors?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

senrath posted:

There's other AI art in the book as well, including a dinosaur that's very clearly missing a leg.

ns has a neck made of "textures"

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Lumbermouth posted:

Or just wait for poo poo to go on sale or show up in Bundles of Holding! It is very easy not to pay full price for RPG PDFs if you can wait like six months to read them.

Delayed gratification? What are you a commie pinko?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I had someone in Sales walk over to my desk with a slide one of the ecom kids made about how their account was performing and tried to imply that having profit listed on it twice (gross and net) was padding their numbers because "they mean the same thing" this person is in their 50s and training people.

:negative:

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

senrath posted:

They're huge, but they're not Microsoft huge, and they decided to declare that Microsoft would be on the hook for any and all payments of the new fee for any Unity games on the Game Pass.

I hope Phil Spencer just tweets a video of him laughing at this dude.

They're going to get destroyed if they try to enforce any of that nonsense.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

Eh, I think that's just a further extension of how revolution and the morality thereof is portrayed in media as a whole. The media, like every other aspect of our society, is ultimately a tool controlled by corporations and conglomerates whose control over our hierarchical power structure is largely dependent of buy-in on the part of the working public, so they have a vested interest in presenting revolutionary activity as needing to be governed by certain moral limitations. And that's not even to say that the situation at White Wolf is the direct result of corporate pressure as it could just as easily be the case of the developers having internalized the narrative that's been pushed by our corporate overlords for the past century to the point it's just become unquestioned truth...

That also just reminds me of an incident in a game I played in where our group had started a revolution against an oppressive monarchy and, in the midst of revolution going on, one of our players was trying to broker an alliance with some nobles who had holed themselves up in an estate when they became surrounded by a mob of revolutionaries demanding to know what she was up to dealing with the enemy. Faced with having to placate the mob without alienating the nobles who were standing right beside her, the player (Who IRL identifies as a "classical liberal" in the most insufferable way possible) decided to...try to shame the mob about "going to far" in an unbearably condescending way. When the mob did not react to this particularly well the player just...kept doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?

Did the rioting mob eat the rich or what my dude? Don't leave me in suspense here.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

spectralent posted:

I think this is a question that's different for the in-universe setting and the TV show in the real world. In universe, he's arguably not disabled - his accomodations appear very routine in much the same way glasses are today and nobody thinks it's being awkward or invasive. But, in the real world, we recognise that he's blind, and blind people are disabled, and that by including a blind person who isn't affected by that at all, we're providing an aspirational character to (at least some) blind people.

I'm always sad whenever I've run a star wars game nobody wants to play an alien or a droid :smith:

Geordi's refusal of a transplant or surgery to fix his eyes is the same as someone getting laser corrective surgery today. (Assuming today's version could totally restore your vision). Except his glasses have all sorts of neat bonus things. I wouldn't get corrective eye surgery if my glasses gave my zoom, infrared, and dark sight.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

That's a good point and absolutely devalue the normalization of his blindness. If anything, it begs the question of why more people aren't opting into the super sight he's got as a result.

But I'm not blind so my weigh in on this ends with 'hell man, I dunno. Shits sucks and it should be better.'

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The STA stuff has been generally well regarded and the solo stuff appears to be better than average?

The biggest complaint I've seen is that it tries to stick very tightly to an episode structure of problem, false solution, complications, solution?, twist, resolution, that the series does. But I suppose there's nothing stopping you from going crazy.

It does also build a system to allow you to pilot any character on the fly so you're not trying to explain why the Chief Engineer is going along to a mediation between 2 political factions. You just grab a red shirt, star them up and get going. And when there's an engineer episode the other players roll up some red shirts until you've got yourself an entire crew of staff.

I think that's why the solo bit is so well received. You can make your own character or you can effectively play an entire crew through scenarios. I'm a lot of way the identity people latch into is a crew or station rather than specific roles or people.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Oh c'mon.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 25, 2023

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Whatever this is isn't showing up for me.

Fixed post.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Wait, the escapist? Like zero punctuation the escapist?

Did I miss something? Are they all a mess or what? I haven't looked at any of that content in years but it never read as right leaning.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

FishFood posted:

(Barbie didn't rely on improv at all)

Barbie isn't a comedy you monster.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

While I'm sympathetic to the complaint about video length, there's a pretty real difference between the occasional very long video from Hbomb etc, and poo poo like mauler whose whole thing is going frame-by-frame through a movie for a million hours to be mad at women.

Though I am willing to admit I found my limit with Noah Caldwell-Gervais when he broke my heart after finally getting a new mic but then started putting out 7- and 10-hour videos.

Bless Noah for existing.

I've taken to playing a random NeverKnowsBest video to fall asleep too because sweet English calm man tells me about final fantasy for 4 hours is maximum vibes.

But that poo poo on YouTube has been systemic for ages. A lot of the Gundam guys have taken to slapping their brand logo on a cutting mat in the middle of the screen because cropping is so easy and poo poo gets reposted. Especially the videos where no one is speaking so it's incredibly easy to copy, crop, and reupload.

poo poo like this is what the copyright detection should be flagging but somehow it never seems to catch this small time stuff. Weird.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

I think YouTube’s copyright stuff sucks, but I don’t really know how you would expect it to catch video essayists ripping off books and magazine articles.

I meant more the wholesale video reuploads.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

theironjef posted:

Well now... just don't look directly down their throats. Their mouths are lined all over with needle sharp backward pointed spines so that fish can't just wriggle out of there. They can't bite with them though, they're for holding a fish in place while gulping, so this doesn't really change their general absolute lack of danger to people.

Unless you get your hand down their throat for whatever reason?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I'm not here to judge penguin related incidents, but if you need to assist a penguin because it ate something it shouldn't and you need to reach down it's guller and yank out a foreign object, much like when a dog is about to cost you a lot in vet bills, I figure those toothy things aren't helping.

But I'm guessing that's not a common occurrence. I'm no penguins scientist, I don't know how rambunctious they can get.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Mountains of Megatron

Starscream over Innsmouth

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Magnetic North posted:

The only thing I'll add is don't get your hopes up too much. The vast, vast, vast majority of CCG cards are basically worthless, even among the big 3. But I hope you'll have a positive surprise.

Some of those cards very wildly too.

I pulled out my old stack and most cards are worthless for the hundreds I hardly I think I had like 20 cards that were between 10-100 dollars.

And then I pulled out a 1st edition Lugia and that loving thing goes anywhere from 600-50000 dollars.

Its been sleeved since day one and I don't see anything wrong on it, but with how grading cards is, it could look pristine to me and end up a 6 or something.p and worth like 200 bucks.

I have to put all these things together and pay for someone to grade these things. It's surprisingly tribal when it comes to who the better company's for grading is.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

dwarf74 posted:

What, you don't want to pause the game while the wizard player does IRL math puzzles every round?

The appropriate way to handle this is that the turns continue while the wizard does his math. If they're not done by the time their turn comes around again the spells fails.

With how quickly combat turns take, they've probably got half an hour to work on it.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

One of the biggest eyebrow-raises in this article is the estimation that as much as 18% of Kickstarter's revenue comes from fraudulent projects. Like everybody knows that KS doesn't give a poo poo as long as they get their cut (and it won't get them sued by Disney or something), but I wasn't expecting the percentage to be quite that high.

I love the response being they "implemented changes to detect fraud" meanwhile we saw an entire campaign that was AI generated and run by a guy who responded by parroting marketing nonsense and the dudes website wasn't even real. I remember that the images and names of all the "executives" changed every time you refreshed the site. That shut down after multiple people calling it out but I imagine it really only shut down because they weren't going to reach any funding goals.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Leraika posted:

- oh yeah and they're localizing the Shin Megami Tensei TTRPG, and it's available for preorder on their web page

I cannot even begin to fathom how this converts into a tabletop game without having a poo poo ton of micromanaging.

I cannot wait.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

This is like the second or third time I've heard of this happening specifically with Barnes and Noble.

The weird thing is, if CGL pitched and sold this to B&N, and didn't tell Catalyst, where'd the money from those sales go?

Given the experience I have with warehouses and shipping, most of the people I've worked with are legit, but I've definitely had a moment where they suddenly found a couple of pallets that were "misplaced" it's entirely possible that the deal was made underhanded and if they'd never been found out catalyst would never have heard about it.

I don't know what the relationship there is but it's possible that there's a vendor relationship that CGL has full control over.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

If Catalyst is some fly by night operation how did they secure those two lucrative gaming licenses

Blacklist games managed to get the Street Fighter license and that entire thing is a trainwreck spanning multiple projects, businesses, and (if you believe internet detectives) pseudonyms.

The company hosed up so badly that their biggest project was effectively seized by Quartermaster Logistic who then took personal payment for final mile freight (which had already been charged and paid to Blacklist) in order to clear the outstanding debt.

None of their other projects since have left China, though they sure do post red wax samples of their last Kickstarter once every few months, as if everything is still moving.

Most of the time, getting an IP isn't as hard as you think. You can licence Disney to make some coloring books for a few grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

whydirt posted:

Let’s send Ulilillia to be our journalistic correspondent

loving Christ I haven't thought about that dude in... Literal decades?