Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Warthur posted:

That's pretty much the question I've been asking - what is it with Nightfall still trying to make SLA a thing? If there's a hidden SLA community eagerly beavering away at this stuff over here in the UK they've succeeded at entirely hiding away from me.
You gotta flog the IP you have, I suppose. They were supposed to put out a big supplement on The Truth, that would have given several options for what The Truth really is. Logically, this also would have allowed the game to move beyond its biggest problem: obsession with its signature NPCs and your PCs hitting a brick wall when they try to advance beyond a certain point. But that never happened.

There are probably enough people nostalgic for SLA that they could do good business on a quality rerelease with some good supplements, but it seems like Nightfall never has their act together.

Pope Guilty posted:

The System Mastery review of A State made it sound like unplayable garbage TBH.

I'm always a little weirded out by SLA Industries because it's a game I occasionally see references to but have never once seen a single SI book in a store or heard somebody discuss it except in books like the Munchkin's Guide (which was surprisingly entertaining for a James Desborough product). I think I saw an ad for it once in like Dragon? But anyway it's weird to me that it's apparently a going concern in the tiny RPG industry/scene and has been for like twenty years and I have never encountered anything but sparse references to it. Is it more popular in the UK than in the US or something?
The system is playable, the setting is playable, but the book does a terrible job of giving you real hooks. It likes to dangle stuff in front of your face that's never really explained, not even in the GM section--not unlike SLA. It was also kind of obsessed with being "Dickensian cyberpunk," meaning that there's lots of high-tech stuff in the setting, but your PCs are desperately poor and success means not eating out of the garbage.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sometimes it feels weird to me that I literally grew up with that forum, still post about RPGs all day, but don't bother posting there. I remember the bad old days, but surely there was a way to get rid of the "I don't hate gay people, I'm just saying it's a fact they'll burn in hell for all eternity" freaks without the obnoxious moderation they have now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They want creators to post there without fear of criticism. Kevin's never going to post there and he has a bad reputation in the industry, so there you go.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's almost as if there was a years-long, industry-wide glut of companies basing their game on D&D rules and finding it to be a complete loving mess. (Unless they hacked it so much it was no longer compatible with anything else.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
People were so angry at 4e they came up with entire new theories of game design, that no one ever actually believed, just to have some smart-sounding reason to denounce it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Some of them were just pure distilled brainworms. Like Frank Trollman arguing that the wording of "enemy" means you are your enemy, so in 4e you can only stab yourself to death and the game is unplayable. I remember another guy saying that when you jump, you have to jump the maximum possible distance determined by your check. I've never seen people do this with any other game.

4e broke men's souls. It was great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Comrade Koba posted:

Out of curiosity, are there even any that do?
Pelgrane Press' Dying Earth and Demon Princes RPGs have a disclaimer at the beginning saying "If you don't know what a RPG is, congratulations, you've stumbled across a niche product for Jack Vance fans. I'm afraid you'll either have to get a friend to explain this to you or try something else first."

It's not so uncommon for indie games now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Dear Lord help me, I'm back on my bullshit.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly I think there actually is something to the idea of "dissociated mechanics" and y'all are too quick to dismiss it just because it's being used by an idiot who uses it as a negative term.
I understand what you mean, but that isn't what he meant, and his argument is fractally wrong.

xiw posted:

The other problem with it for me is that the base D&D combat system is massively 'disassociated' - the choices you make in combat in an attack-roll-based / hp system are a mile away from the decisions you'd make in a real fight. Nobody decides 'now i will hit the ogre for 1d8 damage, i know there is absolutely no way i can kill it with this swing but i need to whittle its 4 hit dice down' since hit points are such an abstraction.
The standard retort to this is "pre-4e combat is abstract, but not dissociated." But that's wrong for exactly the reason you stated; plus, pre-4e D&D is full of "3/day" abilities that are never explained in-setting. (For that matter, I don't think Vancian casting is ever even explained.)
As an example, Hollowpoint makes the actual criticism you're talking about, much better and more succinctly.

Hollowpoint posted:

There’s a bank robbery scene in Michael Mann’s movie Heat (1995): the crew has robbed a bank and in the course of exiting they are bounced by the police. The crew has automatic weapons, great training, and willingness to cause harm and hurt others, but they are also professionals: their objective is to escape with the money.

Now in most guy-versus-guy gaming, this would be a really hard scene to model, because the system will focus on which cop your character is trying to kill each time-slice. The player is focused on the wrong thing with distinctly uncomfortable effects:
First, I (the player) have to plan how most effectively to kill police officers because what the system primarily lets me do with my assault rifle is kill people. I am not enjoying that in this context.
Second, I (the character) am not explicitly interested in killing police officers. I am interested in escaping with the money and don’t care if I kill police officers. But the system only models me defeating police officers with my rifle.
Finally I (both player and character) have sophisticated, staged objectives that involve violence against a large opposing force with full knowledge that I cannot just kill all of them.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The reason it's a crap analogy is that you can immediately point to several concepts in football that do naturally fit limited uses of various kinds.

Players routinely get substituted in and out after they run certain kinds of plays - receivers who run long post routes pretty regularly come out the next play because it takes so much energy that they need to take a short break to get their breath back.

There's also the concept of "gadget" plays - high risk trick plays that only get used in extreme circumstances because if you know your opponent is going to try it, it's trivially easy to counter. Teams basically never use the same gadget play in a season, let alone in a game, because of that.
For people who really can't stand the idea of dailies, I've suggested that there could be a power point system representing stamina, or you could be able to reuse encounters and dailies with an escalating penalty...but it would be cumbersome as hell.

The whole concept of defending and marking, has been criticized because "soldiers don't try to get hit!" These people don't understand the most basic stuff about ancient infantry tactics.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

GNS is half-right, they just backed S instead of the objectively correct choice of G :v:
It drove me nuts that the edition wars crowd took "Simulationism," not to mention "immersion" and "verisimilitude" and interpreted it to mean something completely different and totally bonkers. It's the kind of thing I meant when I said that people invented whole new theories of roleplaying just to own 4e online.

Andrast posted:

D&D is a strongly focused game
Eh, well, there's a great deal in 3e, 4e, and 5e that is vestigial from when the game took place entirely in the dungeon and everything was on a timer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Why would you want a huge section of the book dedicated to stuff that only a fraction of the classes get to touch? It's terrible design.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Wasn't FASA the #2 next to TSR for a significant period? And some people must have been introduced through Palladium given that they were advertising in all the Marvel comics I read growing up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Right, but remember that a design goal for every edition post-AD&D1e was Don't Make Baby Cry. In order to get a game that is just good design without caring if Baby cries, you have to go to a game that doesn't say Dungeons & Dragons on the cover--whether that's a non-D&D TSR game, or an indie game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Even Japanese RPGs in the conventional mold seem to have fewer hangups about realism and seriousness than American ones. By which I mean want to balance the classes and let you play what you want to play.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
To be honest, I think Kevin probably has a point. Teenagers tend to be really uptight about rejecting Kid Stuff while embracing things that are equally silly but have a veneer of being Serious and Mature.

That said, Palladium became an insular culture over time largely by design.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What was the Numenera mechanic that was like "You have this power theme, and sometimes something stupid randomly happens?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He's literally saying "It's permission to screw over the PCs at random! And sure you can do that anyway, but since it's written into the book they can't complain!"

A bunch of games in the 90s did this under the guise of making the GM a Master Storyteller.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, right, the Connections play into the Intrusions. And it's all dumb as hell.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I will admit, the idea that magic stuff all contains Weirdness and you can't go around carrying too much Weirdness or it causes problems, is not a bad way to have an in-universe limit on hauling magic items around.

The way he goes about it and describes it is very on-the-nose and uninspiring, which I find to be a fair description of everything in his body of work that I'm familiar with. It's also contrary to the Clarke's Law vibe of Dying Earth fiction, because it means every magic item ultimately works according to the same underlying mechanism.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 31, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Numenera
Numenera
Hey, hey, hey
Don't buy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Why does his av picture look like one of Tobias Funke's "leading man" headshots?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Y'all putting more creativity into this argument than went into Numa Numa Nera.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Numenera is not interesting, but it is somehow more interesting than this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My understanding is that it uses a heavily modified system which (necessarily) omits all the attempts at narrative mechanics.

So, possibly.

I've heard that Pillars of Eternity is not perfect but is a pretty good game for people who miss Neverwinter and D&D based vidjamagamez.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

If Monte Cook claims Wolfe as an inspiration I won't be surprised, but I will be in agony. The Book of the New Sun is fantastic and deserves a weird-rear end narrative game in its future society that's all about weird narration tricks and picaresque character relationships.
You'd probably have the best luck with the Dying Earth RPG, actually.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Biomute posted:

Darth Vader.
In the first film, we learn that Vader believes the Imperial military is overconfident and without vision, and is proven right. In the second, we learn that he plans to overthrow the Emperor.

Too many games with a political conflict either don't give you choices besides HELP SIDE A vs. HELP SIDE B, or give you GOOD GUY vs. BAD GUY that are orthogonal to both sides yet don't actually allow you to take a nuanced position. And too many don't let you progress beyond going from Low Level Flunky to Really Valuable Flunky.

Skyrim, for example. Every faction quest in the game allows you to become the new leader, but in the Civil War you're just playing assassin for one side or another.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kurieg posted:

It did sort of deliver on the oWoD's oft renegged promise of "FULL CROSSOVER NOW", the problem is that it did this by turning all the splats into classes and then making two of the classes suck out loud due to hilariously bad upkeep requirements.
If I needed an experienced designer to balance classes in a new edition, I'd probably fall down the stairs and break my neck in the rush to hire Monte Cook.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Rules-as-physics always results in at least a couple problems, one of them major. First, total thematic letdown: you can't make a superhero game where Batman and Superman are on the same footing, for example, if you're allergic to narrative or at least highly abstracted mechanics. Second, you are going to wind up with those weird holes where a normal person can throw a baseball 10 miles or whatever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jimbozig posted:

Nah, TVTropes and D&D both give you brain damage. We've seen it first hand. The whole Heisenberg infinite bear space bullshit was obviously the product of a mind infected by D&D.
D&D didn't give people brain damage, they gave it to themselves so they could focus their remaining tissue on being mad at 4e.

As for the "infinite bear" stuff, last time I checked on Trollman's forum it's literally impossible to read. They've gone completely down the rabbit hole of creating new Capitalized Jargon, based on other jargon, based on jargon Trollman made up, so as to be completely inaccessible to anybody who isn't already part of their weird cult.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As I recall, he didn't equate it to childhood sexual abuse, but he definitely compared it being an amputee and likened many narrative games (including his own Sorcerer) as "prosthetics" designed to help people raised on a certain D&D playstyle to function as they should.

Here we go:

Vincent Baker posted:

I was searching through the past of the Forge and I came across this that I wrote back in May of last year:

So here are two points for you:

1. Sometimes it's fun and good for your PC to be a supporting character, not a protagonist. Thus, yes, prey to all the crap that befalls supporting characters, including random death.
2. Sometimes, then, it's also fun and good to not know whether your PC is a supporting character until some moment of truth. In fact further: to not get to choose yourself whether your PC is a protagonist or a supporting character, to let the events of the game's fiction choose. Your PC's random death may well be just such a moment.

There's no reason in the world why any gamer would recognize the truth of these two points out of hand. They're hard won. Having a gamer-like relationship with your PC makes them seem impossible, doesn't it?

Let me say in boldface: Let the events of the game's fiction choose whether your character is a protagonist or a supporting character.

I know of only one game in development that's taking this on (Ron Edwards' Spione). Are we still obsessed with securing our personal characters' relevance? Is the threat that our personal characters will be somehow made irrelevant still so urgent?

Ron Edwards posted:

My response, which is actually a diagnosis of the existing activity:

Yes, "we" are still obsessed, in the manner that you have described. It's a creative and technical illness, much in the sense that early cinema was hampered by the assumption that what they filmed should look like a stage-set, viewed front-on, from the same distance, at all times.

The design decisions I've made with my current project are so not-RPG, but at the same time so dismissive of what's ordinarily called "consensual storytelling," that I cannot even begin to discuss it on-line. I can see the influences of Universalis, The Mountain Witch, and My Life with Master, but I cannot articulate the way that I have abandoned the player-character, yet preserved the moral responsibility of decision-making during play. That's all I'll say here, and I won't answer questions about it.

More specific to your question, Vincent, I'll say this: that protagonism was so badly injured during the history of role-playing (1970-ish through the present, with the height of the effect being the early 1990s), that participants in that hobby are perhaps the very last people on earth who could be expected to produce *all* the components of a functional story. No, the most functional among them can only be counted on to seize protagonism in their stump-fingered hands and scream protectively. You can tag Sorcerer with this diagnosis, instantly.

[The most damaged participants are too horrible even to look upon, much less to describe. This has nothing to do with geekery. When I say "brain damage," I mean it literally. Their minds have been *harmed.*]

Perhaps Primetime Adventures, My Life with Master, Dogs in the Vineyard, Polaris, etc etc, are really the best available prosthetics possible, permitting the damaged populace to do X? If so, what will people with limbs prefer to use, to do X?

I don't know. I can see its parts forming, as with a mid-term embryo, but what it will be and how it will work, and who will use it for what purposes, I don't know. My current project may be right on track with it, or I may be veering off in a hopeless direction.

I get the point that he's trying to make, but yikes. And the general uproar led him to dig himself deeper and deeper and insist that what he said was not offensive and if you see an attack on vulnerable people here those are your dirty thoughts and shame on you you are disgusting.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 1, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

And yeah the root of the "brain damage" take was the way the Storyteller games misrepresent themselves as narrative games, not the impact of D&D on one's psyche.
I knew he had done that "System Does Matter" rant on Vampire, but didn't put the pieces together. Thing is, I think the two are related--he's also written about how D&D was originally a very wide-open and varied thing from group to group, based on people's personal experiences and what materials they had access to, but unfortunately when the playstyle became more standardized, it was a pretty lovely adversarial and punitive one. And Vampire and its coattail-riders mostly continued that.

Ron Edwards posted:

Now that I've compared people who don't roleplay right to the disabled, let's compare games I don't like to pedophilia
Yikes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Smolensk is really something. In grognards.txt we used to joke about people who are sticklers for what they think is historical realism, "but with dragons and elves and spells," and then he came along, a parody come to life. His contribution to the hobby is an exhaustive list of trade tables, because Dungeons & Dragons doesn't feel immersive unless you can calculate the price of cinnamon in Novgorod in the 14th century.

Pope Guilty posted:

I want to take the GM advice from Apocalypse World, particularly "Be a fan of the players' characters", and throw it back in time.
"Treat NPCs like stolen cars" is also vital.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SkySteak posted:

Could you elaborate on this statement, as I am not quite catching the meaning.
The PCs are the stars of the story. The NPCs are disposable tools for telling that story. Never, ever, ever the other way around.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Warthur posted:

The problem with doing satire through a tabletop RPG is that if you go very, very current with the satire, then your core book immediately starts turning stale as soon as it's published. If, however, you frame Alpha Complex such that the fact that the Computer believes that cranky old 1950s civil defence documents constitute fresh hot-off-the-presses information is part of the joke, then you evergreen the setting: the fact that the entire society is fighting this absurdly stale war against an effectively imaginary enemy is, in and of itself, bleakly funny and can tie into all sorts of IRL situations with ease. (Any time anyone in power is trying to turn the clock back is a good opportunity, for instance - see the way Brexiteers jizz themselves giddy over wartime Britain.)
We still live in a society running on the fumes of 50s anticommunism, so I don't see the problem. (The actual problem is that Friend Computer is more like a nightmare of Communist central planning than the passel of ridiculous ghouls that run our society. You'd want to put the Ultraviolets front and center and emphasize how serving Friend Computer so closely has made them into lunatics.)

Ettin posted:

He probably won't get back into the Discord again but Zak getting some kind of acceptance isn't that far-fetched. No matter what you do there'll always be someone willing to go "he's done his time" or "he's nicer than people think!" or whatever. If nothing else the number of people who qualified their my-bad posts with "but some of his targets were bad people!" should tell you that cutting ties with an abuser doesn't make you an instant expert at dealing with them.
This industry is addicted to giving malefactors a "second chance."

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Traveller's up to double digits, including two Mongoose and two GURPS editions. Did RuneQuest ever have a D20 edition?
Speaking of which, I think one of Ken Whitman's early debacles was printing Traveller stuff he didn't have the rights to. Do other games have "bootleg editions?"

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 10, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Warthur posted:

If you liked that effortpost I'll also take this chance to toot the horn of my similar article on Alas Vegas. It's kind of a companion piece to that one, given that Wallis was basically doing the two Kickstarters in parallel.
I really enjoyed this writeup.

I've noticed that games built on a mystery--the PCs all have amnesia, or the underlying truths of the setting are concealed from the PCs and maybe the GM--tend to come out either too obtuse to be useful, or just kind of meh. (For example: Alas Vegas, The Demolished Ones, SLA Industries, a:state, Insylum.) Is it just incompatible with the medium? Is it incompatible with printing a rulebook anyone can read?

Off the top of my head, the closest anyone has come to getting it right is the Vampire: the Requiem supplements where they make multiple Big Secrets behind factions like VII and Belial's Brood and the GM gets to use, modify, and combine them at their leisure.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I think a lot of that comes from the way game books are writing prompts. Trying to focus on having a hidden Big Answer in the gameline makes it very likely that, due to the nature of the books as a writing prompt for GMs and groups, a group will have hugely diverged away from your intended SLA Industries The Truth clever secret to the point that it won't match up with their use of the game or setting at all anyway. Plus, in trying to keep it mysterious, you usually make it well hidden enough that it becomes irrelevant to the game's original premise. It also tends to invalidate that original premise, and people buy your game because they like and want to play the original premise, so that's another issue.
This is a good answer. SLA Industries is a really good example of what you're talking about, because The Truth is irrelevant to what the PCs spend their time doing, but also says that what they're doing is meaningless.

Nuns with Guns posted:

The nature of having a big mystery, and in particular one that you've concealed the answer to in a supplement further down the publication line, will also mean that the GM and players most likely already have some theories/answers in mind when they reach that book and those answers are often more personally interesting to them than whatever some other writers came up with.

The fact that the "big mysteries" in metaplots have very often been used as "gently caress you!" swerves that are hostile and destructive to extant games doesn't help either.
Yeah, the other thing that tends to happen is the "mystery box" approach, where there's no actual mystery, you're just swerving the audience, hoping they won't notice that you're making it up as you go along.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's okay to not like things, even critically acclaimed things, and think that they're overhyped.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think the only person with "malicious intent" in regard to Nobilis was Mark MacKinnon. "People who like this game have malicious intent" is a strange way to misconstrue accusations of hype. Hype is only malicious if you're talking about, like, Theranos or Lockheed-Martin.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Serf posted:

the only rpg i've personally read that was written/laid out incomprehensibly was fragged empire
It's written in such a way as to serve as a good reference, which makes reading it cover to cover a real pain.

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying was the last game I read that made me furiously angry trying to read cover to cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kestral posted:

Burning Wheel with all its bits and bobs fully engaged is complex, and it's impossible to learn the system without actually playing a lot of hours and reading the (thankfully now-restored) BWHQ forums,

Liquid Communism posted:

He's effectively describing poo poo D&D handled 30 years ago.
I was going to say, Crane sometimes seems like he's on a mission to make his game as complicated as AD&D but in a totally different way.