Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is it weird that there's a Tumblr consisting of nothing but unreasonable attacks on tos over this issue? That seems weird to me.

When I say "unreasonable," I mean stuff like demanding a response after three days and implying that this is part of a pattern of behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

drat. I wanted the heroic taxi driver to be real.

Hero taxi diver an indicator that the story was fake. The diver never gets defined as more than "the cab driver" when an actual person recalling a transpired event would use a he/she pronoun.

If you read as a female driver, it's a believable woman "looking out for each other" moment. A male driver gives proof that #notallmen are lovely harassers.

I have a hunch that the undefined secondary characters in STDH stories are for the audience to imagine as an insert for their best selves. Who we hope we'd be in that situation. Not necessarily the hero, but the person who frowns at the mean cashier or claps for the Christian grad student.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm very curious to see how Legion does for them. It's obviously their bid for 40k players, but its chances would have been substantially better two years ago - when GW was still in the incapable hands of their mad CEO.

Now it looks poised to be another overpriced also-ran in a crowded field.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

Everyone watch that pitch video. That's some serious overproduced gobbledygook.

It also has a lot of neat stuff! I'd be interested if they didn't clearly have their heads up their assess.

Noir new-age theosophists with sci fi guns is a jam I would like to make mine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wasn't Sky Captain supposed to be good?

And 90s Warzone / Mutant Chronicles had a great vibe.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wasn't that never ever even a thing from D&D's earliest days?

Like, ST GYGAX HIMSELF acknowledged it as an abstraction?

Anyway I hope PF2 is good, it'd be nice to have a good game I don't need to sell everybody on first.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

I guess one of the reasons why people are so unwilling to do this is because people don't want any wuxia and want everything that a fighter does to be completely possible in real life.

The thing is that they don't even want that - they want martials to be limited only to what they imagine an untrained nobody is capable of.

When you see a trained UFC dude knock someone out in three seconds (unarmed!) or a guy in full plate doing aerobics, that becomes "unrealistic.' That thing you just saw in real life is less believable than if a wizard did it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The best thing to come from this is the reminder that Shadow of the Demon Lord exists.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

bewilderment posted:

Imagine DnD5e's design goals (other than "appeal to grogs") but actually mostly functional, including rules that properly support gridless measurementless combat. That's 13th Age.

It's also worth pointing out that by the time Next was in promotional playtest, all of their stated design goals had already been accomplished by 13A.

The only reason it isn't widely accepted as the best D&D is that it doesn't have "Dungeons & Dragons" printed on the cover.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Aren't high profile live-play podcasts, streams, and reviews what most people are explicitly hoping to generate when they send out promo copies?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Didn't WW try to burn down their LARP communities for similar reasons?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wow thanks for digging that up, that's crazy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Leonard Nimoy would have been amazing as Tom Bambodil.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

For one of our old monthly design contests, I wrote up Dungeons of Dr.agony, which I probably should finish as a single- page rules set someday...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

"I still don't think what we did was wrong. But society does, unfortunately."

This should headline the syllabus to Intro Villainy 101.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

To be fair, I don't think anyone else read his whole screed either.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

"My black friend is more inclusive than everyone else's black friend. And also gay, and invented talking about nerd games on G+."
- some rear end in a top hat in 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Perhaps also a monster that harasses you out of your class while pretending he's an ally.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

thelazyblank posted:

Should we treat this issue like it's exactly the same as intentionally trying to tell someone that you'll pay them in exposure? No.

That's just the thing, though. By treating non-payment for work as acceptable, it's normalizing "for exposure" and directly contributing to a bullshit industry standard where writers work for the "love of the hoby" or "favors."

The difference is that this time money was collected in advance for that specific work. We have an actual, exact dollar figure representing what the consumer and management agree that the work is worth.

Any writers writers agreeing to this are just as culpable. You might be able to do $2k in free writing - but realize that action directly hurts some other writer who does not have that luxury.

Maybe you're seriously not into it for the money? Ok, get paid and sign the check over to charity. But get paid first. Working "off the clock" essentially steals a job from other workers, while signaling that it's acceptable.

This shouldn't even be debatable.

"But the writers wanted to" doesn't even enter into it. If they want to support the creator "with their time," that needs to be made clear from the start, and can't be conditional upon reaching a stretch goal implying this shady-rear end poo poo practice isn't happening.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

When I was on a trip a while ago, I asked my neighbour to take my garbage out. When I got back I mowed his lawn to thank him. I don’t feel like I devalued the labour of gardeners.

Had your neighbor raised $2,000 for the stretch goal of "Subjunctive mows my lawn?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kestral posted:

TG As An Industry is not normal or healthy, and the people who choose to try to make it there should go into it with realistic expectations about what they're going to face.

The same could be said for Hollywood, but that doesn't excuse any of it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kestral posted:

Ya'll need to read my posts until you see what I'm actually writing, which is about the realities on the ground that aren't changing any time soon because of the structural constraints of a hobby industry, not the moral worth of the system.

I'd contend that widespread acceptance of industry shittiness does more to hold it back than any structural constraints.

It's a small industry, yes. But nobody should ever be working for free on a paid project.

That's not an unreasonable place to draw the line if we ever want to see improvement.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Its way more analogous to the topic if he'd been paid $2000 for you to mow his lawn.

Or even more appropriate if we acknowledge that everybody involved (him and each of the backers) valued that job at $2000 - and then you let him pay you 0.0% of that because "you owed him a favor."

As long as the lowest acceptable wage is "nothing," writers will get suckered out of earnings because it's now an economy based on convincing each other labor has no value. And how can talent compete in that market?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Nobody worked for free and both parties got more labor than they could have afforded if they used cash because the government didn't get a percentage.

"If everybody works for free, then nobody works for free" only works until you notice where that $2k went.

E: And taxes are literally the last thing anyone cares about.

Working "for free" perpetuates the system just as much as expecting people to work for nothing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

And that was just as poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

In a lot of entertainment industries, any correspondence including ideas or concepts is trashed unread. The potential fallout from using someone else's idea is just not worth the risk.

Meanwhile, RPGs are squeezing content out of fans for the pleasure and prestige of seeing your work made semi official.

Plutonis posted:

Who's the Harvey Weinstein of tabletop gaming?

Ed Greenwood

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You need to downscale to RPG industry levels of power.

Nobody in the industry is as influential as Weinstein, but Greenwood's con predations and harassment make him the closest available analogue.

E: That's to say, Greenwood would have been RPG Weinstein if he ever figured out how to.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 3, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I am confused in that he is then (apparently) immediately chummy with D&D's other unnamable consultant.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It seems self-defeating to drop $300USD on triviality inconveniencing one industry tumor, then chat with an equally egregious shitbird in the very next tweet.

My assumption in his buying the copyright was that maybe he's trying to clean up the community, followed by a hard LOL, no he isn't.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nobody's favorite serial harasser also just recently posted a shoutout to our forum.

Maybe the Alt-OSR is tired of talking to the same fifteen people.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Also can't you just buy pdfs of WFRP2E anyway?

There was a long period when you couldn't because the licensing was a mess.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm kind of greatful that they were overt enough to invoke 14/88 and spare me the effort of verifying everything else.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's basically Nazi is as Nazi does at this point.

You can't accidentally wink and blast a dogwhistle that hard without knowing who's cheering you on.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's a one in ten-thousand chance of coming up 1,4,8,8.

So no - even if there was a roll, it wasn't accidentally in that order. It's like how you ask a teenager for a number 1-100, and they'll say 69. Except nazis.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm guessing SApplecline.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I mean some puppet account, if not the creep himself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think he's questioning a hypothetical feminist's decision to bully the author into silence.

Which, while that's questionable, it's way more likely some chud wrote him hate mail and signed it "a feminist."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

LGD posted:

without invoking false equivalency or taking a position on the validity of the claims, you're going down a very bad path if you start assuming people who are nominally aligned with your politics couldn't have possibly been ultra-lovely online and it therefore it must have been a false flag

You're absolutely correct, and I'd 100% agree with this under typical circumstances.

What gives me pause here is that a specific, prominent rear end in a top hat attacking the article has demonstrated a history of both 1) falsely presenting himself as an ally and 2) sock-puppeting the gently caress out of conversations involving him.

Without knowing all the facts, I'm just reading this all as "article was harassed into the ground."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Harassment works! :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

MadScientistWorking posted:

because you can very well make their lives worst.

Isn't this who assholes want us to blame though? That harassment is an inevitability and when they get called out and lash out, it's someone else's fault?

It's the point of their bullshit.

E: dog with dice is no longer a blog this morning.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 11, 2018