Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I've never played pathfinder because it looks like a slog to me but "it takes a move action to open a door!!!" is exactly the sort of flippant non-criticism that everyone here complained about re: 4e. No RPG system lives and dies by how quickly a character can open a door relative to how quickly they can attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Fwiw, if Path was a game that had extremely tight action economies, it'd be a big deal. It's not, so it's fairly trivial on the whole and exists more as an annoying quality of life thing like trying to shelve game book that's printed in a nonstandard size.
I...don't think that's true either? A door is an arbitrary game element like any other and is not at all fundamental to the system. There's nothing in the system that forces you to use doors, it's the DMs choice. You could make a system where each door requires an hour of combined effort(they're GIANT doors) and the rest of action economy is extremely tight and it'd be fine if you were thoughtful about where to place doors.

Obviously your average peasant can't ever hope to afford a proper door and they use bead curtains.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can easily fix it by just making a fighter that is a wizard mechanically and flavoring all your spells to use your sword. :colbert:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

What the gently caress is even an "attack against the company?" Like, outside of this context or the lobby scene from the Matrix, what does attacking a company even loving look like? Saying mean things online?

Saying mean things online that result in lost sales, clients, employees, etc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Well if you're a group of friends you can start it as a partnership - there's no conflict of interest if you're actually equal partners, even if one of you acts as supervisor.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Any mere employees have to work out of the satellite office and can't come to the sex parties. Them's the breaks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Helping facilitate a backer-driven lawsuit in cases where one is appropriate seems like the least that kickstarter could do to combat grifters on its platform. That doesn't mean giving out contact information to anyone who asks but allowing messages to be sent to backers in cases of that seems totally reasonable.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I would not want to be the person at KS who was deciding when it was appropriate to have a lawsuit, I tell you what.

Yeah you're right. I wouldn't want to be the judge or juror who had to draw the line between good faith misallocation of funds and malfeasance either. It's certainly not kickstarter's job. I think they are obligated to facilitate backer collusion in some way though. Maybe they do in fact need forums but I bet they'd be a poo poo show.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

same

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

spectralent posted:

(RPGs have easily the best money/entertainment time ratio of anything if you're into them)
Is this actually true? It's definitely true of books I use at the table, but for me that's a fraction of the books I've bought or read. I think if anything for they suffer because successfully using a book is something that often happens in the months after something has come out. By the time there's something to review from the perspective of someone whose run it, the moment's gone and it's not going to drive sales much further unless you are a really big name.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's kickstarter, the venue for complaining is what you get instead of the equity in the company that you'd get if you were actually investing in it and not just making a fancy donation/purchase. You can't start an rpg business without being prepared to ignore some complaints.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also it's not like it'd have been super hard to like, exchange favor for favor with a contract backing it instead of their word. "This document declares I will write about the lost cavities of the enamel mountains for Phil's Germs and Gingivitis sourcebook and he'll write about the equivalent of carbon dating for organisms made out of silicon for my Uncorked Biochemistry supplement. If documents are not produced by <date> there then the non-delivering party will pay the delivering party X."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

He said he traded favor for favor implying that he did some work in exchange for them doing some work. If the point is that an author/artist's time is valuable then he claims he exchanged something valuable for it. There isn't really any excuse for not having a contract here but I don't think exchanging writing favors is such a bad thing and it's hardly the same as pro bono.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Oh yeah good point - stretch goals do make it weird and I just assume that kickstarters are lying scams by default and extended advertisement at best but you are right, that is misleading. If it says there's a $2000 stretch goal for a table of 20 torture devices written by gg allin then it would be misleading if gg allin didn't get any of the money.

Though, presumably integrating these stretch goals involves work beyond just writing them - as stated, many authors put their work on kickstarter when the writing is finished, to prove that it's worth publishing and pay for art/layout/etc. What if James Stuart was gonna write the content no matter but but it's not worth it for this guy to integrate it into his published product without the $2000? It's a little dismissive of the other work involved in publishing to say that the stretch goal money should go exclusively to the writer of the stretch goal content, but you're right, that *is* the implication of having "broken crown by james stuart" be the stretch goal at $13,000.

Also if a friend called me up and was like "hey remember that thing you said you'd write years ago because I fixed your sink that one time? Well I raised 180k in a kickstarter and promised you'd deliver", well, that might just be "I've altered the deal, pray I do not alter it further." territory.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 30, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

He shouldn't have, is the thing. Work has value, and working for free's a good way to keep people from wanting pay you for your work, because you clearly work for free, and so should others.
But he didn't work for free, he exchanged labor for labor. You say people shouldn't work for free but you're also dismissing the labor that he did for them as worth nothing, which is it?

If two people realize that both their kickstarters will do better if both of their names are on it, should they not put both names on both of them? Maybe it's misleading if it makes each other's contribution look larger than it is, but it isn't "working for free", both parties give something and get something as part of the trade.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 31, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

You know why the conditions on the ground don't change 'any time soon'? Because every time someone says 'this is lame' when poo poo like this happens there's people who pop up saying 'actually it's fine I didn't pay my neighbor for walking my dog when I needed it so that's the same of asking for hours of work from a friend after raising money specifically off them adding their effort to the project'
What the hell this is still not what happened - he paid then by doing labor for them. That is payment. If y'all people want a similar amount of labor from one another, it benefits both of them to exchange it directly.

Like I mean, you can complain about stretch goals or all marketing in general, that's fine and I try to avoid it myself, but presumably the $2000 represents the cost of integrating the material and the opportunity cost of cashing in his negotiated favor.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 31, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

“Oh no I get less than 2000 dollars, better take 0 dollars instead” is certainly something one could claim to be a logical stance but they’d have to do some loving rhetorical legwork to support it.
lol you have like, 0 reading comprehension if that's what you got from that

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

moths posted:

Its way more analogous to the topic if he'd been paid $2000 for you to mow his lawn.

Or even more appropriate if we acknowledge that everybody involved (him and each of the backers) valued that job at $2000 - and then you let him pay you 0.0% of that because "you owed him a favor."

As long as the lowest acceptable wage is "nothing," writers will get suckered out of earnings because it's now an economy based on convincing each other labor has no value. And how can talent compete in that market?
They only "let him pay 0" because he "let them pay 0" with his own work that he did for them. They traded the labor directly instead of going through an intermediary for no reason. Nobody worked for free and both parties got more labor than they could have afforded if they used cash because the government didn't get a percentage.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

yep, congrats at figuring out the lovely part of working in an exploitative field. Sometimes you have to say 'ok I'm not gonna work for free any more and I'm not gonna have others do that' and that probably means you're 'stuck' paying someone for something you originally would do as a swap. When you're the one with the well funded kickstarter that ball is in your court, though.
But he already did the favors, does he not deserve to be paid? Shouldn't they also pay him the $2000? Do you really want payment of $2000 back and forth on an account sheet somewhere so they can both pay taxes on it and net nothing? I'm so lost, y'all are missing the point about what makes "working for free" exploitive - the point is nobody worked for free because each got a commensurate amount of labor in exchange for their work which they were able to stretch further because they didn't go through dollars.

I don't know anything about the other participants but they could have paid harper for his work just the same.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

moths posted:

"If everybody works for free, then nobody works for free" only works until you notice where that $2k went.
Right and presumably the people who got favors from harper used them to get money on their own kickstarters. You can't look at one half of the exchange and not the other.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

If your problem is that they all colluded to make all of their kickstarters look better than they were, fine. That's probably true, lol if you think kickstarter isn't a complex way of grifting and marketing but whatever, you do you.

That is a totally separate complaint from one party exploiting the other, which didn't happen because they all got labor that made all of their kickstarters raise more money.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

not all bad people are bad in the same way...that shouldn't really be controversial

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

moths posted:

It seems self-defeating to drop $300USD on triviality inconveniencing one industry tumor, then chat with an equally egregious shitbird in the very next tweet.

My assumption in his buying the copyright was that maybe he's trying to clean up the community, followed by a hard LOL, no he isn't.
yeah he paid $300 to make a PWNED!!!! tweet, pretty sad/awkward

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Spending the money in good faith and failing to make the project does not seem like an unreasonable outcome for a kickstarter. I mean, the scam part is that you don't get any equity in the project you've "invested" in and it's actually far worse in successful profitable kickstarter ventures than ones that fail in good faith and wouldn't have produced returns anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

homullus posted:

oh man, is it tone policing time again already?
Seriously...:gas:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 8, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

When it comes down to it, even the most prolific prostitute murderers are not as bad as Hitler.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Accept that all social activities reflect the surrounding culture and try and help fix that, rather than trying to treat symptoms, like neo-nazi dice in the vampire-themed sample rpg adventure?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

if a book I buy ever uses full page art as a backdrop for a tiny fake cellphone screenshot I swear I'll go mental!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pinochet is pretty good in my upcoming dictator wrestling league pbta game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

As a child of two worlds, Batista is OP

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ADOLF HITLER
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 72 kg
Choose one of the following moves at level 1:
- When you are killed by a time traveler, roll another character. You don't get to play as Hitler.

Your move white wolf.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

way to fall for the marketing stunt

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Arivia posted:

No they're not. The PDFs are free. There's printed versions should you want, but they're happy to have you just download the PDF versions and participate in the playtest with those.
People on this forum also regularly complain about companies being unwilling to update material that's been published without a full re-release - you can't have it both ways. It costs money to write and publish even a "beta" book.

I kinda doubt pathfinder 2.0 is in the future I'm looking toward but it's not unreasonable at all to sell as-is print copies at every stage of development.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

This is 100% perfect as a marketing tool and I recommend any progressive folks trying to sell games should pair up with an alt-right guy trying to sell games and pretend to beat them up so you can both profit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You two just said opposite things - does it being a light beating increase or decrease the odds that it was staged? People here indicated that it was not serious.

I would expect a staged beating to focus on looking real rather than being real, but I dunno about this case.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I guess that's possible, but I personally wouldn't opt to be on the receiving end of Gamergate for the rest of my life for the chance of a sales bump that might last a month at best.
I wouldn't want to clean up elephant poop but people do lots of stuff they don't like for money.

Even if this one wasn't staged, I think it's a reasonably good idea and if I ever publish an rpg product I will reach across the aisle myself to subversively market my product.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

look, all I'm saying is, if you love trump and have a lot of twitter followers, let me pretend to beat you up and we'll both make bank

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I don't think it's any crazier to spend $500 on an rpg than it is to spend it on a television. I realize a book and some miniatures or whatever (guilty admission: I have no clue what this product is other than "an rpg"), but I think people are conditioned to think it's normal to spend money on what's obviously a big chunk of physical materials the way they wouldn't on a book, even if the latter involves just as much labor in its creation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RPG products as a whole, are extremely inexpensive relative to the amount of labor that goes into them and enjoyment received from them. I'd be happy if products were more expensive up front, if and only if that money actually goes to game designers, artists, who currently are paid peanuts by large publishing houses. If fixing the problem requires $500 rpg products becoming more common, bring it on. Privilege is assuming you're entitled to hundreds of hours of enjoyment for a group of 4-6 for $50.

If you are genuinely put into the position of having to choose between playing the expensive rpg, or feeding your children, pirate the drat thing and do both. Otherwise, it'd still be quite inexpensive per hour if it were double that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That same argument applies to $30 (and $10 and $1) books, which are also just bells and whistles on top of ones that are freely available. I don't think anyone is telling anyone they "have to" buy the $500 rpg box. On the other hand, if expensive products mean more writers and artists can now receive Actual Pay for their work instead of just submitting words to a publisher for pennies, that's a really good thing. It's not bad to choose to charge $500 for something if that's what it takes to pay fair wages to your creators, how is demanding cheap rpg materials any different from demanding that artists and writers work for pennies so more people can play RPGs?

I get that this feels like locking out people who can't pay $500, but again, just about every RPG has a free version available. It's not like it's *really* inaccessible because you can't afford to pay for it, it's just inconvenient.