Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Prism posted:

IIRC the problem is not that it was used, it's that it isn't vegetarian and that wasn't labeled.

And that they were advertising the drink in which it was used as entirely vegan if you used soy milk and no whipped cream. That was a weird couple of weeks until they announced they were removing the dye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fsCXflDCE

Babish gets upgraded with Sohla!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Prism posted:

IIRC the problem is not that it was used, it's that it isn't vegetarian and that wasn't labeled.

Ah, yeah, that is definitely dumb. Labeling, especially for allergies, halal, and kosher is very important.

Townsends' is on a roll lately, today's video is about the simplest apple pie possible, with some historical context to boot! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WLebI5eNlg

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I love how he cheeses up the sneaked nutmeg.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

That dude is so great. I can come home sweaty, exhausted, reeking of fry oil and covered in dredge after a 5am to 3pm shift at my restaurant, and he STILL makes me excited about cooking, just because his enthusiasm is so goddamn infectious.

Much love to this thread for introducing me to the wonders of Townsends' videos. #blessed

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

All his videos are like that. Guy's just enthusiastic about learning and teaching in the best ways

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You guys should watch Tasting History as well.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Lord Bude posted:

You guys should watch Tasting History as well.

That guy has the same love for history, and also dad jokes. He’s great.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I love Tasting History!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Astrofig posted:

I love Tasting History!
Yeah if I wanted to make a show inspired by Townsend but not actually leave my house even to go in the backyard it’s a win. Sohla is right in the middle.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 25, 2020

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Speaking of tasting history, I'm attempting that clarified milk punch in his last video.

poo poo started black and cloudy and it's straining out to what looks (and smells) like lemonade.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
please post your results. It's a yummy looking cocktail.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Most of this was done in my bedroom because turns out three hours of constant dripping noises can be a nuisance to people already sleeping.

Steeping the lemons in the booze

Curdled and shaking the spooky poo poo out of the jar

Filtering through coffee filter. This took hours.

Total yield of my slightly upscaled recipe: 1500 ml

Trick or treat presents for a few people.

Taste?
TONIGHT WE DRINK.

Updates tomorrow morning I guess

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 31, 2020

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

okay so this stuff is deceptively smooth and sweet. no burn. It's also 50 proof.

Make yourself some loving punch people.

I'm thinking adding spices for a Christmas variant this year

Maybe cinnamon, clove and nutmeg.

E: if I get probed for drunk posting tonight, take it as another sign. We all agree with Max Miller: this stuff is dangerous.

Make the loving fun water. The good idea juice. The special saucing sauce to get sauced.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 1, 2020

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Speaking of holiday drinks, this year I'm planning on trying out this recipe from How To Drink for Butterbeer, that's based on a recipe from 1588.

Why? Why not. The guy makes a lot of good drinks, and there's usually some decent history in the older drink videos he does. It's a good watch, and when I get down to making it later, I'll do a post about it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I poked around in the Townsends videos for that milk punch recipe, but didn't immediately find it. Could you please point me in the right direction? Even though I now officially have all the right ingredients for my ypocras (including a variety of cinnamon that shouldn't turn everything gloppy), there's no law saying I can't make two fancy old-fashioned drinks this holiday season.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

I poked around in the Townsends videos for that milk punch recipe, but didn't immediately find it. Could you please point me in the right direction? Even though I now officially have all the right ingredients for my ypocras (including a variety of cinnamon that shouldn't turn everything gloppy), there's no law saying I can't make two fancy old-fashioned drinks this holiday season.

Sorry, it was actually this Tasting History recipe, not Jas. Townsends

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oooh drat I know what I need now to get through the holidays if Trump wins!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Missing Name posted:

Sorry, it was actually this Tasting History recipe, not Jas. Townsends
Thank you! :tipshat:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Astrofig posted:

Oooh drat I know what I need now to get through the holidays if Trump wins!

You're not just dumping Everclear into soft drinks?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

We tried going shot for shot as a "haha funny" joke for each state that went Trump last election. We gave up pretty early but I'm pretty sure we were drinking local Recipe 21 whiskey or vodka.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

chitoryu12 posted:

You're not just dumping Everclear into soft drinks?

I legit have a bottle of 120 proof moonshine in my basement if poo poo goes bad. I'll make Bond look like a responsible drinker.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Hirayuki posted:

Almost certain this has been linked in the thread before, but Punch by David Wondrich has some top notch recipes and includes modern measurements and proportions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Punch-Deli...04831345&sr=8-1

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I have returned with a new book!

I got a copy of The Futurist Cookbook, a collection of 1930s Italian Futurist movement cuisine information, banquet reviews, manifestos, and recipes. Being a nationalist technofascist movement, it's often wild and crazy (such as attacking pasta for being insufficiently passionate and causing impotence and laziness, or suggesting that we're soon to discover how to gain nourishment from radio waves), but it also has a huge collection of recipes at the end. Many of them have no quantities on purpose, as it's intended that the Futurist will explore, experiment, and make happy little accidents. I've provided a few of the most interesting ones I've found.

quote:

Pocket Book Turnips

Small new turnips boiled for 10 minutes with bay leaves, onions and rosemary. Slice them open like a wallet and stuff them with anchovies soaked in egg and rum. Dip the stuffed turnips in egg yolk and then in fine breadcrumbs and cook them in the oven.

quote:

Divorced Eggs

Divide some hard-boiled eggs in half and remove the yolks intact. Put the yolks on a poltiglia of potatoes and the whites on a poltiglia of carrots.

quote:

Atlantic Aerofood

Bright green vegetable poltiglia (made of lentils, peas, spinach, etc.). On this place some aeroplanes, one per diner, formed by: little triangular pastries (wings) – carrots cut lengthwise (fuselage) – cockscombs cooked in butter (rudder) – kumquats cut in round slices and set upright (propeller).

quote:

Tyrrhenian Seaweed Foam (with coral garnish)

Take a bunch of freshly-netted sea lettuce, being careful the catch was not made near sewers or drains because such lettuce easily absorbs bad smells. Wash and rinse in plenty of running water. When it is clean, dip it in some lemon juice. Powder the leaves with sugar and add spray with a wave of whipped cream.

The coral garnish consists of an assembly of clusters of piquant red peppers, slices of sea urchins caught at full moon, and a constellation of seeds from a ripe pomegranate.

The whole, with its artistic architectural lines and inspired arabesques, should be served immediately on a round flat plate, with waves made of broth added, and covered by a sheet of blue cellophane.

quote:

Futurist Pheasant

Roast a well-cleaned pheasant, then keep it for an hour in a bain-marie in Muscat wine from Syracuse. Then an hour in milk. Fill it with mostarda di Cremona and candied fruits.

quote:

Carrot + Trousers + Professor

A raw carrot standing upright, with the thin part at the bottom, where two boiled aubergines are attached with a toothpick to look like violet trousers in the act of marching. Leave the green leaves on the top of the carrot to represent the hope of a pension. Eat the whole thing without ceremony!

quote:

Ultravirile

On a rectangular plate put some thin slices of calf’s tongue, boiled and cut lengthwise. On top of these arrange lengthwise along the axis of the plate two parallel rows of spit-roasted prawns. Between these two rows place the body of a lobster, previously boned and shelled, covered in green zabaglione. At the tail end of the lobster place three halves of hard-boiled egg, cut lengthwise, so that the yellow rests on the slices of tongue. The front part, however, is crowned with six cockscombs laid out like sectors of a circle, while completing the garnish are two rows of little cylinders composed of a little wheel of lemon, slices of grape and a slice of truffle sprinkled with lobster coral.

quote:

Equator + North Pole

An equatorial sea of golden poached egg yolks, served like oysters with pepper, salt and lemon. In the centre a cone of stiffly whipped and solidified egg white rises dotted with orange segments like succulent pieces of the sun. The peak of the cone is bombarded by bits of black truffle shaped to look like black aeroplanes trying to conquer the zenith.

quote:

Totalrice

Boiled white rice is arranged like this: one part in the middle of the plate in the form of a hemisphere, another part around the hemisphere in the form of a crown. The moment it is brought to the table pour over the hemisphere a sauce of hot white wine thickened with corn flour and over the crown a sauce of hot beer, egg yolk and Parmesan cheese.

quote:

A Simultaneous Dish

Chicken aspic, half of it studded with squares of raw young camel meat, rubbed with garlic and smoked, and half studded with balls of hare meat stewed in wine.

Eat this by washing down every mouthful of camel with a sip of acqua del Serino and every mouthful of hare with a sip of Scirà (a non-alcoholic Turkish wine made with must).

quote:

Words In Liberty Sea Platter

On a sea of endive dotted with bits of ricotta sails half a watermelon with a tiny captain on board, sculpted out of Dutch cheese, who commands a sluggish crew roughly hewn in calves’ brains cooked in milk. A few centimetres from the prow a rocky reef of Sienese Panforte. The sea and the ship are sprinkled with cinnamon or red pepper.

quote:

Mouth of Fire

Brown some marrow from a shin of veal in butter. Then add some breadcrumbs, nuts and a juniper berry and put it back on the heat with half a glass of plum juice and cook it until all the liquid has been absorbed. Then add six stoned plums stuffed with almonds. Return to the heat with a cup of dry white wine and lemon juice.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

chitoryu12 posted:

I have returned with a new book!

I got a copy of The Futurist Cookbook, a collection of 1930s Italian Futurist movement cuisine information, banquet reviews, manifestos, and recipes. Being a nationalist technofascist movement, it's often wild and crazy (such as attacking pasta for being insufficiently passionate and causing impotence and laziness, or suggesting that we're soon to discover how to gain nourishment from radio waves), but it also has a huge collection of recipes at the end. Many of them have no quantities on purpose, as it's intended that the Futurist will explore, experiment, and make happy little accidents. I've provided a few of the most interesting ones I've found.
Many of the recipes offer no proportions because they were not intended to be prepared. Marinetti's opinions on food are somewhere midway between performance art and straight-up trolling. They absolutely shouldn't be taken at face value.

He was, however, an unapologetic fascist. So whenever he says something fashy you can probably take the fascism as sincere even when he's offering a floridly unlikely justification for it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Futurism as a whole is just loving wild, at least we got some, good would be an overstatement we'll go with interesting, art out of the whole insane project.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Quick culinary analysis:
Fascists being fascists it's no surprise that the attempt to revitalise the European kitchen takes no looks at Asian, African or anything outside the strictest interpretation of the Classic kitchen and merely rearranged the paltry offerings into strange shapes.
And booze, this is more of a plan to just get drunk than any exciting culinary exploration.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Quick culinary analysis:
Fascists being fascists it's no surprise that the attempt to revitalise the European kitchen takes no looks at Asian, African or anything outside the strictest interpretation of the Classic kitchen and merely rearranged the paltry offerings into strange shapes.
And booze, this is more of a plan to just get drunk than any exciting culinary exploration.
Fascists were all about some non European poo poo. Like hitler's weird expeditions to the Himalaya's and Evola's insane takes on Indian mysticism.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Gaius Marius posted:

Fascists were all about some non European poo poo. Like hitler's weird expeditions to the Himalaya's and Evola's insane takes on Indian mysticism.

I think you’ll find that’s because the inhabitants of ancient India were all blonde-haired, blue-eyed six-footers named “Herman” who then migrated over to be rained on forever in Germany.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Wait wait wait. Is that the book with Fragomamella (strawberry breasts) in it? Jennifer made that for the barristers’ dinner episode.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, I've got a question that I figure if any thread is qualified to answer, it's this one. Yesterday I spent the day rendering down pork fat into lard. I had done this a few months ago with beef tallow, and it worked out great. However, this time the lard isn't solidifying the same way. At room temperature it's soft and goopy, and even after a night in the fridge, it's still soft enough to indent easily with a poke. Did I do something wrong, or is that just how lard is compared to tallow? I was hoping to cool it till solid, then cut it into bars that I can wrap and keep in the fridge, but if it's normally this soft, I'll need to put it into a mason jar instead.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, I've got a question that I figure if any thread is qualified to answer, it's this one. Yesterday I spent the day rendering down pork fat into lard. I had done this a few months ago with beef tallow, and it worked out great. However, this time the lard isn't solidifying the same way. At room temperature it's soft and goopy, and even after a night in the fridge, it's still soft enough to indent easily with a poke. Did I do something wrong, or is that just how lard is compared to tallow? I was hoping to cool it till solid, then cut it into bars that I can wrap and keep in the fridge, but if it's normally this soft, I'll need to put it into a mason jar instead.
Where'd the fat come from? If it's from a commercially battery farmed pig and both batches of raw fat came from the same cut/primal/whatever, then my first guess would be something in the rendering process--hosed up skimming if you were skimming, just didn't render long enough if you were doing a smaller batch.

Fat from some other source? Different pig, different fat, different manteca. Composition of the fat depends on the breed, feed, and the part of the pig, and if either are different from last time I wouldn't be surprised to get a different consistency manteca.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SubG posted:

Where'd the fat come from? If it's from a commercially battery farmed pig and both batches of raw fat came from the same cut/primal/whatever, then my first guess would be something in the rendering process--hosed up skimming if you were skimming, just didn't render long enough if you were doing a smaller batch.

Fat from some other source? Different pig, different fat, different manteca. Composition of the fat depends on the breed, feed, and the part of the pig, and if either are different from last time I wouldn't be surprised to get a different consistency manteca.

In all honesty, I'm not 100% sure where the fat specifically came from. I got it from a semi-local butcher, who saved it up from trimmings from the week prior. It looks like fat that was on the outside of various cuts, between the meat and the skin. It's not leaf fat, that's for sure. The previous batch I got was cow fat/tallow, which was just a giant hunk of solid fat with like, cellulose-like membrane all throughout that I had to spend a ton of time removing before rendering. Looking back, it might have been leaf fat? I'm unsure. Given that it was two different fats, I wasn't expecting things to be exactly the same between them; I'm mostly curious on if the lard from my current batch should be hard at room temperature or not, or if I hosed something up. I did strain off all the solids, then run the lard through a fine mesh strainer, but not through like, cheese cloth or a coffee filter, or anything. Should I?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

FWIW, the commercial lard in my cabinet is always soft and goopy at room temp. Like warm spring/early summer day at a picnic butter soft. Even with my house temp usually being around 68-72F.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Yeah we get lard by the 3 gallon bucket at my restaurant for biscuits. At room temp (ours doesn't require refrigeration, dunno if that's true of all lard), it's nothing you could "cut", it's a thick paste like, well, Crisco or cool bacon grease. Or chilled peanut butter.

Sounds like yours is on point. Praise the Lard!

E: even when it's chilled (we keep our "premix", which is 10lbs flour + 3 lbs lard + seasoning, in the walk-in cooler), you can readily squish the lardy chunks between your fingers.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 25, 2021

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
If it passes the dairy queen blizzard test, you should be fine.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, beef and lamb fat is a lot firmer than pork fat, in my experience.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm thinking about making an earthen oven. I have some clay (which I've strained and aged) that think could do the job. What would be something suitable to use as the base and stand? Any particular brick type, e.g? Or could I get away with putting an inch-thick layer of clay as the bottom of the oven on top of wood.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CommonShore posted:

I'm thinking about making an earthen oven. I have some clay (which I've strained and aged) that think could do the job. What would be something suitable to use as the base and stand? Any particular brick type, e.g? Or could I get away with putting an inch-thick layer of clay as the bottom of the oven on top of wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0foHjPVbP4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Somewhere online I found an old cookbook (1868) with a title like "THE ENTIRE SCIENCE AND ART OF HUMAN FOOD" :fry:

Disappointingly, it's just a normal old cookbook, but it had one interesting factoid: apparently "French Food" in 1800s America was as often as not just random idiots sticking lots of pepper in everything and calling it French, and the cookbook author had to make a point to explain that wasn't actual French food but just some dildos who heard about Steak Au Poivre third hand and just went hog wild because serving "French" food was good marketing.

LIke apparently French food was seen as suicide by pepper in 1868 America lol