Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Some of the stuff from "Apicius de re Coquinaria" is not too bad.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/29728/29728-h/29728-h.htm

The difficulty is that liquamen/garum and laser aren't described. Laser is extinct and garum is pretty much just fish sauce but who can say if it's different than modern fish sauce.

I made a vegetarian dish of leeks and beets boiled in wine that was not too bad. Very different than modern cooking but good none-the-less.

"De re Cquinaria" is definitely worth a read. Not sure where they sell sows matrix, but I'm sure I could find some if I tried hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Leraika posted:

Anyone have any good resources for ancient Roman cooking? I'm not brave enough to try cooking straight from Apicius.

e: other than the ones on the first page of course, ha ha

Go with the leek and beets with raisin wine. I used reduced port for the wine instead. I have a copy of De Re Coquinaria that's a plain translation and I have another copy that's a little more human readable. "Cooking Apicius" by Sally Grainger. It's much more readable but it's kind of fun to work off the Latin.

Apicius XI 97 in the link.
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Apicius/3*.html

It will turn out sharper in taste than you think but remember that less is more. The beets and leeks really stand on their own.