Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose Your Fighter
This poll is closed.
Lenin 3 5.00%
Stalin 7 11.67%
Luxemburg 0 0%
Mao 1 1.67%
Ho Chi Minh 3 5.00%
Võ Nguyên Giáp 13 21.67%
Josip Broz Tito 4 6.67%
Fidel Castro 3 5.00%
Che Guevara 1 1.67%
Pol Pot 1 1.67%
Huey P. Newton 9 15.00%
Fred Hampton 3 5.00%
Assata Shakur 2 3.33%
Juan Posadas 6 10.00%
Thomas Sankara 4 6.67%
Total: 60 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Unless they fixed it one of the limitations was that it couldnt take your chargen stats into account, so you always got 8s + whatever you would get from your skills after the first statsthroughskills update

I just tested both scenarios to make sure and they fixed it. Skill point investment at character creation won't change your stats at the start of the game, so there's no point worrying about skill points at start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I just tested both scenarios to make sure and they fixed it. Skill point investment at character creation won't change your stats at the start of the game, so there's no point worrying about skill points at start.

Oh cool

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

*PRELUDE*

4 years you've lived in this hospital. Four whole years of being bed ridden, of being dressed up in a uniform for the cameras. A prop to show the people that their great hero perseveres. You don't blame them for doing it. You would have done the same. At one point you saw yourself in uniform, bed--ridden, broadcast on state television. You looked shriveled - as if all the moisture was being drained from your body through the IVs instead of being put back in. The oversized greenness of the uniform made you look like a turtle. But who could even hear you complain? 2 years you haven't been able to talk but they just won't let you die. 100 would have been a great number to die at anyway. A nice round number. Your niece would have agreed. She tells you so much anyway.

Fatigue overwhelms you suddenly. It's time to go to sleep. As you drift off a memory comes back to you. It's Ho and You, 1945. In Hanoi. You don't remember it, per se, but you remember the photo. The one you gave to Kennedy.

You remember how it felt after the revolution. It seemed so easy. The Japanese just gave up completely. Ho had established the government. It was all going to be so easy. But the French could not give us up, and the Americans followed. How great could we have been? How many more millions would be alive?

Darkness envelops you. It's much easier to sleep than to remember.

*DECISION 1*

You feel as if you're losing your sense of place, or more accurately that you are being displaced. It's impossible to tell for how long you you are remaining in this state. What you know is the sensation of terror. The terror as if you are falling uncontrollably from a great height, like the dreams you had as a child. And suddenly, with a desperate gasp you open your eyes:

This is not the hospital room. It's 14x14 meters and exceptionally dark. You feel cold, but not like in the hospital. In bed your entire body felt cold. The heat radiated from it desperately. Now only your eyes feel cold. You reach up to your face to make sure that it's there, but you can't feel it with your fingers. You can feel the fleece on your cheeks, though. You're wearing a balaclava and your hands are gloved.

You're overwhelmed with sensation. Senses other than pain. You can feel blood pumping through your veins, muscles tensing, reflexes screaming - you feel vitality for the first time in a long time.

The only light comes from the opposite corner that you can see, since your view of the rest of the room is obstructed by a counter. The light is being emitted unceasingly by what appears to be a television screen displaying a constant blue field.

You notice a figure nearby wielding a long haft with what appears to be a blade attached to its top. It's difficult to make out its details, but you notice that it grips the haft out of reflex as though it doesn't trust you. You're definitely not alone.

What do you do?

[NOTE: Since we're just starting out I want to give a few suggestions of my own to give you all an idea of what to do. Think of this like a tabletop experience. You can check your inventory, look around the room, try to talk to the figure in front of you. Whatever is within your immediate means.]

<<Building Our Character
[url=]*DECISION 2*>>[/url]

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Feb 19, 2018

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Attempt to poo poo yourself to ensure you're no longer in the hospital bed.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
*SUGGESTION*

HUG TOM, READ NOTE

Uh, I mean, check your inventory. See if you're carrying anything important, and if there's any document/record that might explain your current situation.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
*SUGGESTION*

Arm yourself some how and then attempt to talk to the person. Try to determine if they are a comrade or occupier.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
*SUGGESTION*

tell (what is obviously) the orderly to change the television channel, you're not a fan of this modern art documentary

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*SUGGESTION*

Check your inventory, and see if you got a flashlight.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

*DECISION 2*

Your immediate urge is to orient yourself, and to orient the self you have to know the self. You begin scrounging through your pockets for everything you suddenly possess.

You're wearing several layers of a military uniform, and by the color of dress and the hat you guess that somehow you're wearing the garb of a Green Beret. The irony of suddenly embodying a member of imperialist death squads isn't lost on you.

[NOTE: clothes in this game can be worn in layers, with some articles meant to be worn closer to the skin than others. Worn items are arranged in the inventory in order from those closest to the skin to those on the outer layer from top to bottom. Wearing too many clothes will increase encumbrance to your body parts, which comes with penalties to movement, dodging, accuracy, and perception - with the only exception being head encumbrance since it's only an upper limit on how many hats and buckets you can put on the dome. Clothes that fit your frame and which are worn on the correct layer will have lower encumbrance, and loose fitting clothes can be refitted using the tailoring skill with needles & thread.

Sometimes when the weather is bad, it will be necessary to take on excessive encumbrance to make sure we don't get too cold or wet. It's best to arrange clothing with the advanced sorting menu, which I'll demonstrate when we have to change. Clothing has a coverage rating from 0-100%, and the more coverage a body part has the less likely attacks or environmental hazards will be to bypass our clothing layers. Clothing on the outermost layer will always be the first to take damage, with damage that overwhelms its armor rating penetrating into the lower layers. Our army jacket has a bash & cut defense rating of 3, but will not protect us from acid, fire, or environmental hazard.

We have a sheath for the kukri knife, which is great because sheaths allow us to wear blades without putting it into a bag or pocket to take up carrying volume. Bows and firearms can also be worn on the outer layer when not wielded, since bows can be slung over the shoulder with its drawstring, and firearms may be worn either with a shoulder strap for long guns or a holster for handguns. Our submachinegun has a shoulder strap already.]

You're armed with a kukri knife, which is valued for its ability to swiftly chop flesh in a slicing motion, and an experimental submachinegun whose make you've never seen before. It's loaded with a 25 round magazine, and you also have 55 rounds of a strange 8x40mm FMJ ammunition. On closer inspection you realize that the ammo for this submachinegun is caseless. You had read about caseless ammunition as a concept before but had never seen it for yourself. It's much lighter than regular brass cased ammo, and in theory has a near zero chance of misfiring. For some reason your extra ammo is dumped loosely in your pockets instead of being loaded into a magazine, so you will only have 25 rounds for any single engagement. You also have earplugs to protect your inner ears from noise damage while firing a gun.

In one of your pockets is a map of the local area with notations drawn in what appears to be English.

Your English has been rusty for a long time, but within a few seconds the language memory of your new body asserts itself and you find that you are perfectly comprehensive. To the north is a forest, to the west an isolated radio station, and to the southeast is a town named "Presque Isle." The northwest of Presque Isle is a suburb with one building circled on the map and marked "grocery store." The center of the map marked "base" is referred to as an evacuation shelter. Presumably that's where you are right now.

Your first inclination after checking your possessions is to arm yourself.

[NOTE: to wield weapons and other items in your hands, press w to pull up the wielding menu.]

You ready the SMG in your hands while pointing it safely towards the ground. There's no sense in spooking the polearmed person. A flurry of questions spills from your mouth.

"Đây có phải là một số loại trò đùa? Trật tự ở đâu? Bạn đã bắt cóc tôi?"

"Aw woah, are yew Choinese yow? Aw hell yeah, yewr som koinda commie super soldier? Do yew know kong fu? My cousin Darrel, he tried lernin kong fu and kicked imself in the bawls yow."

You can tell this person is an idiot. Just as your new body's reading comprehension asserted itself, so does your speech. You start with simple questions.

"What is this? Who are you?"

Your Vietnamese accent is almost completely subdued. You sound like the Americans you met before from California state.

"Sorry bro, moi name's Shonta Merril. Frum Dundawlk."

As your eyes adjust to the darkness you can tell the figure in front of you is a woman. She's wearing an assortment of mismatched clothes with a dust mask over her mouth. On her head she's wearing a cap with an orange cartoon bird on it, which is itself wearing a cap that says "O's."

The polearm she's wielding is makeshift. It looks like she's fastened a sharpened lawnmower blade lengthwise at the top of a long mop handle.

In a sudden horribly dawning realization you know that this is America. That YOU are American.

What do you do?

<<*DECISION 1*
*DECISION 3*>>

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Feb 21, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

New decision point is complete. I've never done an LP thread before, so it's going to take me a while to develop the process, but bear with me.

Thump! posted:

Attempt to poo poo yourself to ensure you're no longer in the hospital bed.

Of all the things this game simulates, the one thing it doesn't is bowel movements & piss.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 07:24 on Feb 20, 2018

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
*SUGGESTION*

The idiot seems harmless but they could prove useful. Check outside to see if the area is safe. Then see if there are any supplies down stairs.

Try to create some improvised tools such as a hammer and crowbar.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*SUGGESTION*

Ignore the foolish American peasant for now and check out the basement.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
:hai: good trigger discipline

*SUGGESTION*

Attempt to recruit this foreigner into The Presque Isle Liberation Front

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Question for everyone.

I've been playing this game recently. I'm far from an expert but I do understand it fairly well. Should I avoid using knowledge about the mechanics when making suggestions? There's no real spoilers, that I know of, but I don't want to ruin the fun of discovery.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Getright downlo posted:

Question for everyone.

I've been playing this game recently. I'm far from an expert but I do understand it fairly well. Should I avoid using knowledge about the mechanics when making suggestions? There's no real spoilers, that I know of, but I don't want to ruin the fun of discovery.

Don't metagame. Think about what the player character would know and try to make suggestions based on that roleplay.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

*DECISION 3*

You feel constricted by the change in atmosphere and need to get away from this American pig. You see a staircase descending into a basement in the middle of the room and make your way down there.

While crossing the room you notice a faint glow from the outside coming through curtain-drawn windows on all four sides. On the west side of the room, there are rows of benches and a cluster of lockers in the northwest corner.

"Hey, yew shouldn't go down dere! It's dangris yeow!"

You ignore her warning and make your way down the stairs.

Your eyes are still adjusted to low light conditions, and you can make a vague estimation of the basement room. There are four doors on each side, and a tool on the floor to your right which appears to be a screwdriver.

You can go North, South, East, West, or go whence you came.

<<*DECISION 2*
*DECISION 4*>>

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Feb 22, 2018

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh drat i should play the new experimental.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
*SUGGESTION*

Retrieve the screwdriver, and see if you can find a source of light before heading into any of these rooms. Search for any light switches, and if you can't find anything, go back upstairs and inspect the lockers for any possible flashlights/lamps/torches/etc. And if that yields nothing, pester the american and see if she's carrying a flashlight.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Metal Cat posted:

*SUGGESTION*

Retrieve the screwdriver, and see if you can find a source of light before heading into any of these rooms. Search for any light switches, and if you can't find anything, go back upstairs and inspect the lockers for any possible flashlights/lamps/torches/etc. And if that yields nothing, pester the american and see if she's carrying a flashlight.

*SUGGESTION*
Also, ask her what the danger is, what's going on?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
*SUGGESTION*
Retrieve the Screwdriver and return upstairs to learn all the American knows about the area and situation.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

*SUGGESTION* tell her that you are unafraid because you are a messianic spirit being w great powers, and if she has faith in you she will not come to harm

then send her into the danger, hope she injures w/e it is enough that you can take it down easily, and loot her corpse for valuables

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I've been feeling like I'm coming down with the early stages of a cold so I haven't felt like writing the LP. So I let this thread breathe for a day to gauge what kind of participation we're getting after each update. If only a handful of people are making suggestions then I'll need to be a bit more loose with the rules and take everyone's suggestions into consideration while giving extra weight to ideas more people have in common. I've also taken some time in private games to get more familiar with all the systems, especially since I didn't have much experience with ranged combat or how vehicles work.

I'm working on the next update as of writing this post so just bear with me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ranged combat pretty much works like melee combat except you can spend more TUs to be more accurate

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
i really like LPs like this and im glad you're doing one. thank you for you're service.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

*DECISION 4*

You fiddle with the light switch installed into the stairwell, but nothing happens. Apparently the lights aren't on the same emergency power that the tv upstairs is. You're overcome with an eerie sensation from a combination of the chill and the darkness.

You pocket the screwdriver, and head back upstairs to ask Shonta what she means by "danger."

"What do you mean by danger? What's down there?"

"Don't you knoew wut's goin on owt dere? The ded zeds? You're a GI badass aren't ya? Yew should've seen yer own bit of poo poo."

You're feeling a bit frustrated with the answer.

"No, I don't know what you mean."

"Listen. I wasn't the first person to git here, okay? The people who spent the first naight in the basement - they aren't people no more."

You still have no clue what she's talking about, but you can tell you're not gonna get much else out of her. So long as things are so dangerous then you might as well get her to face it first. Your ability to get others to do what you wanted always depended on the authority of command, and not your strength of charisma.

"Why don't you come down into the basement with me then?"

"And why would I do that fore?"

"Ever heard of Green Berets? See this gun? I'll keep you safe."

She mulls it over a bit and at first it doesn't look like she'll fall for it.

[NOTE: our options for commanding followers are limited. There are rules for follower behavior we can change generally along with rules for how they'll behave in combat. We can't order them to go to any particular position though, so in practice we'll always be leading.]

"Listen, it's very dark down there. Do you have a flashlight or anything?"

She shows you her possessions, but she doesn't have any kind of light emitting object. She does have a disposable pocket lighter, but it won't give off enough light to illuminate a room.

You check the rest of the room for anything that will help you see in the dark. Checking around the tv in the northeast corner, you find that it's attached to a keyboard. This isn't a tv at all, but is instead a computer console. The constant light emitted from the screen provides low light conditions you can use to craft or read with some difficulty at any time. There's another console in the southeast corner, but it has no power.

You check the lockers in the northwest corner but they're mostly empty, save for one locker that has an orange emergency jacket and a folded up emergency blanket. Frustrated with turning up nothing, you head into the basement again anyway with Shonta in tow.

[NOTE: Once again you can go any direction you want down here in the basement. Or you can be a big sissy baby chicken scaredy pants and try to do stuff on the surface level]

<<*DECISION 3*
[url=]*DECISION 5*>>[/url]

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

*SUGGESTION*

Exploring the basement without a light source will get us killed, see if you can find a light source on the surface by exploring outside.

Pantsuit has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Feb 22, 2018

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Get a flashlight and make a melee weapon (probably a two-by-sword).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doesn't he start with a sheathed kukri?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Oh, a kukri is one of the best weapons in the game. If you have one you don't need a crap noob weapon.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

can we use the lighter, the bandages, and some sorta scavenged handle to make a torch??

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the steel knives are top tier imo, unless you are into late rear end endgame with all the wacky weapons mods on

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Squizzle posted:

can we use the lighter, the bandages, and some sorta scavenged handle to make a torch??

It's possible to make a crude torch, but it'll need fuel to burn which we don't have. A rag on a stick would either burn too quickly or not at all.

Thug Lessons posted:

Get a flashlight and make a melee weapon (probably a two-by-sword).

I'll clarify now before we get too far that I will be a stickler for the rules on making suggestions. It seems trivial now, but it's hard to say where the thread will go in the future.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*SUGGESTION*

man up and explore the dark basement. i know OP didn't take the good perks because he's roleplaying, but playing in the dark is something even a roleplayer needs to get used to, because the op has cancer

Larry Parrish has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Feb 22, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Don't explain monster behaviors before they're observed in-game. Please edit that bit out of your post before too many people see it. If players want to make a bad suggestion out of ignorance then that's all a part of the game. It's way more interesting that way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
*SUGGESTION*

Open the doors, make a ruckus, and then retreat upstairs. Perhaps whatever inhuman danger lurks down here, if any, can be drawn into the light?

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Feb 22, 2018

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

*SUGGESTION* gather up any scrap we can—go upstairs and smash up the bench if we need to—and pitch large chunks of it thru each of the exits, preferably on fire. we at least will hear if anything moves in response to the sudden noise/fire

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wasnt aware zombies having eyeballs was a gameplay mechanic but sure.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

just kinda :thunk: out loud here, but it seems reasonable at present to assume that the body we're now wearing was physically here before our class consciousness migrated into it—which means there was a reason for a fully uniformed + equipped green beret to be here. mil folks usually dont travel alone, so what happened to the other green berets?? we're in good physical shape and fully clothed, so the body cannot have been in a long coma or w/e—its 99% likely a recent arrival, so the other people in our unit or w/e its called were nearby recently at the v least. are they the other folks shonta mentions??? or was our bodys prev owner separated from them somehow before getting here, or abandoned here, or something???

h*ck, what was their mission?????

also, have any other people been flung across space (and time??) into new bodies?? shonta seems too authentically guileless to be playing us for a rube, but maybe we shouldnt trust anyone else is who they say they are

we might want to ground ourselves as to the situation. try to get shonta talking in a way that doesnt betray our present unfamiliarity w things, but lets us know whats what. did she grow up around here?? what was it like before things got bad??? we need to get as much info as possible on wtf is happening, why, and for how long

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
*SUGGESTION*

Yeah, if we're doing this, baiting any hostiles into revealing themselves is a good idea. Throw something/make some noise, ready your submachine gun and listen carefully for any incoming sounds. Also don't open all doors, you don't want to get surrounded and overwhelmed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Squizzle posted:

just kinda :thunk: out loud here, but it seems reasonable at present to assume that the body we're now wearing was physically here before our class consciousness migrated into it—which means there was a reason for a fully uniformed + equipped green beret to be here. mil folks usually dont travel alone, so what happened to the other green berets?? we're in good physical shape and fully clothed, so the body cannot have been in a long coma or w/e—its 99% likely a recent arrival, so the other people in our unit or w/e its called were nearby recently at the v least. are they the other folks shonta mentions??? or was our bodys prev owner separated from them somehow before getting here, or abandoned here, or something???

h*ck, what was their mission?????

Don't overthink player character backstories too much, because this is mostly about roleplaying as a historical figure, but I like your hustle. It'll be obvious in a while why a member of the military would make his way alone to an evac shelter.

If it helps you frame the situation, the in-game starting date for new characters is about 3 days after the cataclysm.

• Locked thread